Jamis Komodo Frameset

Totally flickable and absolutely air-worthy,The Jamis Komodo II frame should be atTheTop of your list if youre building a dirt jumper. With input from pro rider Jordie Lunn,The Komodo has short chainstays and a smaller/lighter seatstay, dropouts, and chainstay yoke assembly--all inThe name of "flickability." 7005Triple gauge aluminumTubes 1.5" headTube 31.6mm seatTube 73mm bottom  bracket shell ISCG 05 Gusseted main frame Heavy duty stays RifledTopTube Replaceable derailleur han

Submitted by Fernando

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    flat black color is awesome and the welds seem to be strong.

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
Went to a Jenson parking lot sale back in 04 and found this hardtail frame for $150 so I bought it and
put it together with components I had leftover from upgrading my f/s bike. Most riding is done in the trails
with an occasional big drop and the bike handles it very well.

Submitted by matt a Racer from san diego

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, light, cheap

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I've had this frame for 3 years and I have abused it. The frame is stiff, but it has comfortable geometry and is very predictable, of course my mxr helps this. I think this is a really good frame overall and it has handled some gnarly trails here on the west coast. I have a 19" and I'm 5'11 and it fits me perfectly. Get one of these frames while you can, you will love how strong it is.

Purchased At:   Ebay of course

Similar Products Used:   schwinn, specialized

Bike Setup:   XT, Thudbuster, MXR Bomber

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2004

Strengths:    Great angles. Very comfortable all mountain hard tail.

Weaknesses:    Awkward brake cable routing accross the top tube. Had to add tape to keep it in place.

Bottom Line:
A great frame that feels at home doing just about anything. Light and stiff for the climbs and the relaxed angles inspire confidence and the way back down.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR, Avid Mechanical, Manitou Black

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Newtown, CT

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2003

Strengths:    VERY lightweight (3.5 lbs), very stiff, great weld quality, replacable rear deraileur hanger, easton aluminum tubing through and through (always a +), sturdy rear triangle, and candy apple green color (they call it 'beetle' green for some reason)

Weaknesses:    rear deraileur looks a bit flimsy...errrrrrr im thinkin here....

Bottom Line:
This is the first part i bought for a project bike im working on still. This frame is great for people who want a light, strong, and relativly cheap frame. Don't be fooled by the cost though, this is a very good frame. If you are interested in anything from XC to dirtjumping/freeride, this bike is pretty good. It's built more for the light stuff though, so for all of you jackass wannabees out there, dont try running this one off a cliff. That would just be stupid...

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT/XTR drivetrain, Hayes disc brakes 6"/8", RS Psylo SL, good stuff...

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight yet still a tough XC frame. Looks sinister with the black paint and red striping. 'Coke bottle' curve chainstays allow fat tires.

Weaknesses:    Replaceable derailluer hanger is flimsy.

Bottom Line:
I bought this year 2000 frame used and built it up. I've only been seriously into mountain biking for about a year and a half and although I've improved I still have my sloppy moments. This bike has taken all the beating I've dished out except for the derailluer hanger. I have replaced it twice so far. I would recommend a chainstay protector as there is a fair amount of chain slap especially when descending long sets of stairs. The frame looks fairly beefy yet it is still light. When I weighed the bike it was just over 25 lbs and that was with a fair amount of mud on it. And fatties will definelty fit on this bike as my new rear tire is a 2.35 IRC Kujo. (Yes I know this is a downhill tire but I have a thing for fat tires).

As far as sizing goes, I am 5'10" and I ride the 19". However with the way the 19 fits me I think I could also ride a 17" comfortably.

Favorite Trail:   anything challenging

Purchased At:   Used MTBR Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   '02 Jamis Durango

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black Super, XT/XTR/Race Face drivetrain, Avid Mech Discs, Fat Tires

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Guys Mills, PA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    light, stiff hardtail, perfect size for me(21.5"), Awesome color!, comfortable geometry

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
I wanted to build the perfect hardtail bike for myself, light enough for XC, and tough enough to handle anything that I could throw at it. I do a lot of city hucking at night as I am currently going to college in Pitts. and I like to do some jumping, and downhilling when I can, as well as blast through singletrack, or do some winding technical XC. I must say that this is the best bike I have ever owned. It is tough as nails. My friends think I am nuts for downhilling on an XC hardtail, but Jamis has all the angles right to make a bike I feel comfortable doing anythng on, I think it will be a long time before I bust this frame, and when it comes time to retire it you can bet I will be going after another Jamis.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Apex, Topanga comp, GT avalanche 2.0, Jamis Durango

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Exr 100 coil, Grimeca system 9 disks, Raceface prodigy, SRAM 9.0 sl, Shimano XT, Tomac downhill bars BMX pedals

Submitted by dan white a Cross Country Rider from wheat ridge CO

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Strengths:    excellent value at $250 USD

Bottom Line:
A couple of clarification on the previous posts. I refer to the electric green Komodo LT frame as purchased at Supergo. It has:

-no head/top tube gussets
-Easton Ultra Lite front triangle
-extremely beautiful, burly, and high-end welds throughout.

This was my first foray into the bike building art. I had a bunch of mid-range parts lying around, so I figured what the hell, why not get a hardtail frame and build a bike.

I love it.

Submitted by Denis Volkov a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    Price
Light
Color

Weaknesses:    Color

Bottom Line:
This was my first experiment in building a bike. I had a 2000 GT agressor, that was too big for me (18"), so I bought a 14" Komodo frame. This frame is light and great for type of riding I do: dirt roads, trails, some jumps. The bike feels stable and maneuverable.
I will however get a thudbuster seatpost eventually. And switch to disc brakes.

Similar Products Used:   2000 GT Aggressor

Bike Setup:   Jamis Komodo LT frame, Manitou X-Vert fork, Alivio/Deore/LX/SRAM drivetrain, Promax rim brakes, Tioga Factory 1.95 tires, Ritchey seatpost, SDG Bel Air saddle.

Submitted by Ralph a Cross Country Rider from El Segundo, CA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2002

Strengths:    Light yet sturdy, Easton Elite tubing, relaxed geometry, stiff, really nice welds, canti and disc mounts, very nice dropouts, loud green color

Weaknesses:    Loud green color

Bottom Line:
OK, I have a bunch of parts leftover so I go into Supergo to look at one of those Weyless frames to hang the parts on. Those frames look kinda cheesy, then I see these Komodo frames and they are beautiful - looks like really nice workmanship. Weight is as advertised at 3.6 lb. A good deal at $249, plus the bright green looks cool with my bright red SXr fork. I get it out on the trail and I tell you, this spare parts bike is a bulletproof and fun hardtail. Handling with an 80mm fork is nice and mellow on singletrack, you don't have to stay on top of it, yet I feel very confident in all situations. Seems to go where I point it, the rear end also tracks very well. Descends/climbs equally well. It is very stiff, I put a Thudbuster on it and it's a great combo. Very cool thrasher hardtail that works well and should last a while. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Manitou SXr, Arch rivals, Thudbuster post, SRAM Attack/XTR derailleur, LX crank, lo rise bars

Submitted by SirRobin a Cross Country Rider from Tidewater VA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    value-this thing is monogrammed easton program elite in the front!
weight
strength
versitile geometery

Weaknesses:    01 model beetle green--love it or hate it color (I love it)
welding is not "high end"
tubes can ding easily

Bottom Line:
wonderful compromise in geometry, does everything well, do not mount less than 80mm travel fork or sacrifice some handling. likes to climb, dart, sprint, coast. seems durable enough. certainly light enough. I like the rear dropouts with disk brake mounting and rim brake bosses!Do not even consider this frame without a shock post! the RS ATB post in 26.8 is a perfect match (coincidentally this is the one Jamis provides on factory builds)