Ibis Mojo Frameset

4.82/5 (39 Reviews)

Ibis Mojo

Submitted by petiot a Weekend Warrior from Montpellier, France

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2010

Strengths:    smooth looking design, smooth ride, comfy but sharp when powering, traction/grip, do-it-all bike, paint, etc etc ...

Weaknesses:    cable routing, chain slap ... that is it so far

Bottom Line:
I managed to get one of the last Mojo classic frame. for info, Ibis stops the production of the Mojo classic, but keep the SL (and will add the classic's colors to the SL range), to make room for the HD140 (all this confirmed by Scot Nicols himself).

So I struggled a bit to get the size/color i wanted but here i am and honestly, it was all worth it: the frame design is really awesome. Once you have it in hands it feels much stronger than on photos. It is all curve and smooth shapes, and i could not help thinking "form is function" when looking at this bike.

The ride is as other have said: very smooth, but sharp when pedaling. bumps are swallowed to such an extent than technical climbs and tricky sections don't slow down the bike so it just scroll through this kind of stuff. One thing that amazed me compared to the Orbea monopivot system is how much grip you get on technical climbs ... simply amazing (pretty much like the BMC VPP system).

I am 1.80 meters tall and size L fits perfectly. I hesitated between a 150 or 140 mm fork, and went for the 150. It seems to be a perfect match for this bike as the front ends does not wander on climbs, and when pointing downhill, 150 travel front is all what you need. I am running 150psi in the RP23 BV shock (for 75kg all geared up) but i managed to blow through the whole travel without doing much. That said, it is clear than on the same tracks this bike allows me to go much much faster than my previous one.

One word on the paint; It is strong, definitely (just got a direct hit today and i can barely see the impact), and the nuclear green pesto color is just awesome. Kind of shine happiness in the gray weather! with an average set up the bike is just a tad over 11.6 kg so, with a bit of cash you can easily go under 11kg, which for a 140 travel bike is kind of sweet!

PS: you can see it here: petiot.dnsalias.com/photo_Ibis

I will update this review in a couple of month once i have discovered the downsides .... if any ;)

Favorite Trail:   tight ones

Purchased At:   addiktioncycles

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Occam, BMC FS01, Giant anthem

Bike Setup:   Mojo Size L green, CrossmaxST, thomson, Marta, Easton, SRAM x9/x0, XT cranks, float 150

Submitted by Allen a Racer from Nevada

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent handling, decending, climbing, single track, etc.. Highest quality steel frame

Weaknesses:    not here

Bottom Line:
For me, this bike sets the standard for all hardtails.
I have alot of experience on racing hardtails and this is the benchmark for all others hardtails to follow. I`ve owned this bike for 9 years and it`s still in very good condition; I`ve replaced numerous parts due to wear but it`s still sharp as new- this bike I will allways hold onto.
To bad the new Ibis (2006) isn`t making any hardtails- atleast as of yet. Maybe they`ll make a carbon hardtail?

Purchased At:   BicycleBlowout.com

Similar Products Used:   Fatchance wicked light, slingshot, GT psyclone,
bridgestone MB1

Bike Setup:   XTR, mavic, Fox, ibis bar/stem

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from houston, TX

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    The original steel "hand-job" frame-1994 model

Weaknesses:    too cool

Bottom Line:
This bike sat and collected dust while I went thru my middle age full-suspension crisis. After the dbl. boinger went down for repairs (again) I decided to cruise the ol Mojo.
Back in love again. The bike can do it all,
even with only One F'n Speed!
OFS means you are always in the right gear, plus no suspensiondrivetrain rattle.
Pure riding pleasure!!

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Purchased At:   West End (where else?!)

Similar Products Used:   as if!

Bike Setup:   Originally had 8 spd XT-now its a singlespeed.
(Soul Converter)
XT V brakes

Submitted by Alan a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    Simply a great handling bike.
Excellent workmanship

Weaknesses:    Not made anymore

Bottom Line:
The best handling production bike I've ridden since I began mtb'ing 20 years ago. I have two Gunnars that steer as well but their 853 frames don't feel as compiant as the Moron Prestige of the Mojo. My 15" frame fits me perfectly at 5-6" and 140lbs.

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Currently set up as SS running 32:18 with a half-link in the chain.

Submitted by Jake a Weekend Warrior from Macon, GA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Weaknesses:    none yet i have not had a chance to get it dirty.

Bottom Line:
A friend talked me into getting this bike. I had a old rockhopper, but it served me well and got me to love riding. So bulit this new bike the way i wanted. It looks great,alot lighter than the old one. I wil be out riding it this week and i hope that it lives up to all the hype on it. I will posting another one after my first few rides maybe even a pic. have to give it good rating for now.

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   rockhopper

Bike Setup:   full xt drivetrain, avid sd7 levers avid ti brakes, easton monkey lite sl bars, ritchey wcs stem, salsa seatpost wtb headset, sun 0deg rims with hugi 240 hubs, crank bros pedals

Submitted by Bob a Racer from Surprise, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Strengths:    The aura of riding an Ibis (Mojo). Pretty straight forward as far as this bike; it's a hardtail for cryin' out loud.

Weaknesses:    Ibis is out of business, so replacement parts (downtube sticker) are hard to come by.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike since 1999. Bottom line, I love it! The bike is a little "squirrely" at the bottom bracket, but I'm 180 pounds, so that may explain it. No substantiated complaints! It being a hardtail, there really isn't much that can go wrong. After three years, no cracks or other manufacturing defects or problems. The only complaint is that Ibis is out of business.

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback, Trek, Bianchi....

Bike Setup:   XTR and SRAM....

Submitted by chris s a Cross Country Rider from san diego ca

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Strengths:    handling stiffness paint colors and quality one of the sweetest frames out there

Weaknesses:    customer support and service cracked frame at seatpost lug weld woman in cust serv didnt even know what a seat lug was said the were going to cut out bad area and reweld just rewelded over cracked weld instead after second ride recracked in exact same location took way way too long to fix poorly the first time noone even asked if anyone got hurt from their defective frame

Bottom Line:
great handling frame one of the best ive ever ridden worth the ibis co. problems that go along with it not sure now that the co. has just been sold will see if things improve or get worse.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   cycle world

Similar Products Used:   bianchi merlin khs raleigh specialized ritchey trek

Bike Setup:   full xtr, 517, sid, monkeylite, easton mag stem,ct2 post, wtb saddle,yeti grips ritchey speedmax tires

Submitted by Sparklenuts a Cross Country Rider from Fenton, MI

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    I didn't know a frame could be this good!!!

Weaknesses:    No local dealers.

Bottom Line:
I have tried this frame for a couple of weeks and it is Shaweet!!! I love how comfortable but responsive it is. I feel like I am riding a classic because it is so supple. It climbs great and screams through tight singletrack. If there is better i would like to try. I think that any frame from these small builders (Ibis to me is still small) will be great. Chris DeKerf is making great stuff and I have heard great things about Carl Strong frames. If you keep your eyes open you can build up a great bike for less than 1500.00 and have something that you won't see every day.

Favorite Trail:   Highland

Purchased At:   Used off from Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I also ride a DeKerf and a Willits Ti. This frame is right up there.

Bike Setup:   SRAM, xtr Xvert

Submitted by Parker Collins a Racer from Olivet, MI U.S.

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    Handles better than almost anything I have ever ridden. Steel version is priced well, rides awesome, and Blood Red is the coolest color

Weaknesses:    Some lower back pain, but I've yet to work out the saddle fine tuning and all that crap, so I won't blame the frame yet

Bottom Line:
If I can work out the lower back pain, then this is the only bike I need to buy. It's just awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Cuter

Purchased At:   some guy

Similar Products Used:   Other bikes, mostly Specialized aluminum hardtails

Bike Setup:   Crossmax, Judy SL, XTR brakes/levers, 9.0SL drive train, RaceFace crank, Bontrager revolts, and some other stuff.

Submitted by Jon Robinette a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    The ride, the welds, the colors, the details.

Weaknesses:    It's almost too pretty.

Bottom Line:
This frame is the SH*T! You will not find a more comfortable yet responsive bike on the planet! Stay away from the yuppie Ti and save yourself some bucks. I challenge anyone to find a better looking, better built bike.

Favorite Trail:   lots

Similar Products Used:   I've always had aluminum mountain bikes. It would be a great disservice to compare this bike to aluminum.

Bike Setup:   Race Face cranks, stem, and bars. Chris King headset, Thomson seatpost, Mavic 517 rims, the rest XT.

Submitted by J a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Handling is just short of amazing. Making turns is not so much initiated by turning the handlebars but by leaning into the turn. It feels awkward at first, but the sensation is similar to skiing on mid-fats and allowing the skis to roll the arc underneath you. A very stable ride, point and go attitude. No nonsense riding. Beautiful paint job - cant beat the powder coat. Totally impervious to weather.

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki Alien

Bike Setup:   7 Speed XT/C-2 headset/Marzocchi Z-2 Atom 80

Submitted by yankeeheel a Cross Country Rider from Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2001

Strengths:    It's the shiznit

Weaknesses:    It may rust one day.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to wait until the initial sugar high that a new bike brings wore off before I could review this frame objectively. After 7 months of pounding singletrack from one end of NC to the other, I can say this bike is incredible.

The geometry, feedback, handling, and beauty of it far surpasses large scale production frames. It chews up singletrack. The ride is unreal. It is an incredible climber, an able descender, and an all around monster of a trail bike.

The folks at Ibis are second to none in the customer service department. I'm glad I got it when it was less than eight bills. Even now at $895 it's a deal. Why buy a mass produced cookie cutter bike when you can make your own original?

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah sucks...go to Tsali

Purchased At:   Ibis

Similar Products Used:   Other hardtails with less than 1/10 the character of this bike

Bike Setup:   It's nice. You'd be jealous

Submitted by Stan a Weekend Warrior from Niles, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Strengths:    Build Quality
Ride
Handeling

Bottom Line:
Best frame I have ever seen. Very light but strong (I am over 200 Lbs) and have no issues with flex etc. Bike itself is beautiful (Ibis has the best colors in the business).

Aside from what I have already mentioned, the frame is amazing. The handling is precise and the ride quality is magical. If you have any doubts forget them. You will not be disappointed by this frame. Go out and buy one today!

By the way, the folks are Ibis are great people. They were very helpful during the buying process. In fact, one of the major reasons I went with Ibis was the fact that the customer service was sooo good (I had also looked at the IF - nice frame, but the people I talked to over there were not especially helpful - promised me catalogs etc and I never received them).

One last thing, I see a lot of people buying cookie cutter bikes from Specialized, Treck and Cannondale etc. They make ok stuff but honestly, you can build up a great Ibis for around 2000.....pretty much in line with a lot of the mid/high end of the major brands. Don't do yourself this disservice.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Technical

Similar Products Used:   Steel WTB, OX tubed Trek, Yeti ARC, Several Klein Hardtails,

Bike Setup:   White 70XC
Thompson seatpost
Hutch Pythons

Submitted by Mitch Fonda a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen, Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    Powder coat, handling, climbing capability, acceleration, quality for a great price, single track sweetness !

Weaknesses:    A piece of art you almost don't want to get dirty or scratch.

Bottom Line:
Try to remove my ear-to-ear grin!!! Buy it, ride it and be one with the earth.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to pick from!!!

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper steel, Stumpjumper M2 Comp, higher end hardtail Treks, Breezer Thunder

Bike Setup:   Gripshift, XT/XTR, Race Face, Marzocchi Z-2 Atom, PowerPost Moab

Submitted by John H a Cross Country Rider from Lowell, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    Steel!, Quality, Ride...ohh the ride

Weaknesses:    Miss those beautiful fade paint jobs - only powder coat now.

Bottom Line:
Note- the price is now $775!, Ibis sells direct now. Excellent company to work with, great customer service. The bike is a singletrack dream - it seems to read my mind. Climbs like a machine. Comfortable (for a hardtail). Handles our michigan sand better than other rides. Best of all, Ibis sponsors the Michigan Mountain Biking Association - To help us with our great michigan trails!

Favorite Trail:   nct

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race, Yeti FRO, Klein Attitude, etc... a blur of mostly steel.

Bike Setup:   2000 Mojo w/ dedacciai tubing, Z2, cook cranks, xt/xtr/avid controls, xtr/valiant wheels.

Mojo HDR-650b-What setting for Cane Creek DB Air?

Cane creek only lists a base tune for the HD on their website and this is what I've started with. So far I've found nobody posting their tune and I haven't had a response to my post in the Cane Creek lounge. Any input from someone running the CCDBA would be much appreciated!Read More »

Mojo SL or SL-R with 27.5 Front and 26" Rear? Anyone?

I like the ride of both my 26" Mojo HD and 650b TRc bikes. I also like the fit and weight of the Mojo SL or SL-R. Why not combine both? I'd rather put 27.5 on the rear too but the SL or SL-R won't fit my tire choice, the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35. Anyone run this combo of 27.5 front and 26" rear?Read More »

Ibis Mojo linkage bolt problem

My mojo's suspension started making an awful crunching sound at the end of my last ride. I had a chance to look at it tonight and found to my horror that one of the linkage bolts backed out and started to eat the seat tube. I am left with a few questions, the first I which brig how the hell am I sup ... Read More »

Mojo HDR 650 sizing - did I go too small?

I have two rides on a new medium HDRb and think the frame may be too small. I'm 5 foot, 9.5 "with a 32" inseam. Stem is 90 deg and rails on saddle are all the way back. Pedaling position (KOP) is OK, but on descents I feel like I'm constantly pushing my rear back behind the saddle far more than to w ... Read More »

Will a 12x135 rear wheel fit a 10x135 Mojo SL?

I'm looking to get some new wheels for my Mojo SL and really like the Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset. However, the SL comes with 10x135, and the SLR's are 12x135--and it doesn't look like Mavic makes an adapter. Anyone know if these wheels will work with the SL? Thanks!Read More »