Ibis Alibi Frameset

Ibis Alibi

Submitted by mikeb a Cross Country Rider from san francisco

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2001

Strengths:    stiffness
responsiveness
aesthetic qualities

Weaknesses:    a little heavy for a botique hardtail frame
ibis stickers on new generation frames begin to peel and chip with hard use

Bottom Line:
i've never really ridden another high end aluminum frame that's my size, so i can't compare this frame with anything else on the market. however, the alibi was a huge step up from my steel GT karakoram. it almost seems that this frame is a little more compliant than the GT, it is definately stiffer! the ibis alibi accelerates like frogs in a dynamite pond.

i like the frame so much i purchased two of them--one at the factory sale and one at dealer cost when ibis was blowing them out.

i will be retiring one of these frames soon because i am currently paying off my new superlight. i will miss the silky sweet ride of bike number one as it is set up. on that note, it is amazing how much difference that the fork and wheels can make in the way a bike rides. my red ibis definately has a silkier ride than the orange one due to the fork, wheels and probably the easton carbon bar.

if you're able to find an ibis alibi frame or complete bike in good condition at a reasonable price, jump on it. these are great race bikes.

Favorite Trail:   boggs

Purchased At:   one at factory sale, one at park cyclery in sf

Similar Products Used:   gt karokoram

Bike Setup:   bike 1--XTR brakes, hubs and rear der, manitou sx ti, mavic 217(F)/517(r) rims, syncros seatpost, titic stem, easton monkey lite bar, xt shifters, sram composite levers, race face turbine cranks

bike 2--xt rims, changers and brakes, bontrager maverick rims with xt hubs, manitou sx r fork, control tech stem, salsa moto ace bar, thompson seatpost, xt cranks.

both bikes have wtb saddles, ritchey zed tires and un 72 bottom brackets

Submitted by Hippie a Cross Country Rider from CO

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Strengths:    Well made, responsive, stiff climber, classic AL hardtail, small company with soul, good customer service

Weaknesses:    A little too stiff, but that's an aluminum trait.

Bottom Line:
Great all around bike, really fun to ride. A little short on top tube room, but I imagine the geometry is race oriented. Stiffness is great for climbing, but a little harsh on loose rocky decents. I understand this frame is considered softer than most aluminum's, but I've only ridden steel before. Clean welds, nice paint, cool head badge, chainstays and yolk are original without being too
extreme or goofy. I will happily ride this bike until it falls apart or my better half grants permission to buy a Silk Ti. The new Ripley would be worth looking at as well.

Favorite Trail:   Crest

Purchased At:   Ibis Closeout

Similar Products Used:   88' Jamis Dokota, 98' Fisher HooKooEKoo

Bike Setup:   XTR, Xvert, Syncros, Monkey lite, flight

Submitted by Jon Harris a Cross Country Rider from Brighton, England

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, strong and handles better than anything else I've ridden. I ride this bike for racing, weeks away and long endurance rides. It gets abused and the frame does not give it's age away at all. I even took part in the Red Bull 24 hour race on it this year, it handles so well I hardly think about it. The paint work is lush and it still feels like new whenever I ride it. I can't find anything I really want to replace it with, so I'm not!

Weaknesses:    Mud clearance with bigger tyres. Everyone wants to touch it!Oh and 28.6 seatpost is a pain to find if you bend yours in the middle of Wales.

Bottom Line:
It will be with me for several more years. I'll just have to find a frame apinter that can recreate a paint job like the one at the moment in England.
Buy one in a sale. These frames could be the best bargain ever if you find one cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Any in North Wales

Purchased At:   Beyond Mountain Bikes.

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cindercone, Specailized M2, Specialized Rockhopper, and I've worked in a bike shop for a summer so any of the testbikes that I took out (Trek OCLV's, Orange P7, Santa Cruz Camaeleon, Specialized FSR etc).

Bike Setup:   Pace RC-36 forks, Rond Wheelset (from Germany), XTR with lovely Syncros cranks.

Submitted by Karl Bowman a Cross Country Rider from Chapel Hill, NC

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Strengths:    Weight, looks, climbs like a scared cat. Its stiff, but that is what it is supposed to be. The chainstays are oh so sweet.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find a 28.6 seatpost, but who cares.

Bottom Line:
I had a Dual-Boinger Y-frame. This is quite a change. Much faster, lighter, and stiffer. I love this bike. on the first ride, I was able to climb a nasty hill that I had never gotten before, but have ever since. Has to be the bikes fault, not mine. I love it, too bad they stopped making them, but then again, that's why I got such a great deal on it. 5 flaming thingies all around.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Clean Machine

Similar Products Used:   Y-Frame, Trek 8000sl

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, crosslinks, Judy w/Englund cartridges, Thomson seat post and stem, flite saddle.

Submitted by Martin a Racer from Lancaster, PA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Stiff and Oh so Fast!

Weaknesses:    It’s an Ibis, get real there aren’t any!

Bottom Line:
You get more than you would ever expect for the price. This is the best aluminum frame on the market, to bad Ibis stopped making them. If you find one on the used market buy it! If you have one keep it unless your replacing it with a Titanium Ibis.

Similar Products Used:   GT, Specialized, Yeti

Bike Setup:   XT, Judy SL

Submitted by l i z a Cross Country Rider from all over

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Strengths:    everything...my god this is a sweet bike. the paint is gorgeous..i have the pre-powder-coat paint job..chips easy but beautiful. i hear the new paint is more durable.

Weaknesses:    everyone wanting to look at your bike.

Bottom Line:
ibis is an awesome company with great customer service. once i thought someone had stolen my alibi and i broke down.. it is my baby 100%. i have so much love for this bike. if you can swing the price it is well worth it.

Bike Setup:   full xtr, ibis ti stem and bar, white bros shock

Submitted by Chris Miller a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff rear (VERY!!!!)....sweet paint (Warm Beer Metalic)....beautiful headtube badge...small frame builder so you don't see one around every corner....EVERYTHING!!!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
ALL in ALL...this is the best singletrack machine made (in my humble opinion). The rear end is incredibly stiff, but hey it's a hardtail!!!! Sure Ibis frames are a little more expensive than other frames...but you get what you pay for. Incredible customer support, and not a cookie cutter frame so chances of seeing another on a ride are pretty slim. I don't think I will ever go with another frame builder....buy the frame and pick out your parts....nothing like building and speccing your ultimate dream ride (for this season at least).

Favorite Trail:   ANY