Haro Escape A4 Frameset

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Haro Escape A4

Submitted by William Lee a Cross Country Rider from Baton Rouge, LA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Strengths:    Great geometry, light, low clearance top tube, stiff

Weaknesses:    not more of these frames available

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame used off of mtbr.com for $150 and have now come to realize what a bargain I got. I originally purchased this frame to build up as a back up bike to my Haro Extreme. Well, wouldn't you know it, my Extreme was stolen and this became my everyday ride and race bike for about a year. This frame rocks! At 3.5 lbs, you can't get anything as light or as stiff or with great top tube clearance (due to V-bar design) or with such an incredible race geometry and fit. This Haro frame has a similar geometry and measurements as the much heralded "genesis" geometry from Gary Fisher....and Haro had been doing it 2 years before Gary did. The frame is extremely nimble and light for this race geometry, too. The only quasi-negative comment I can say about this bike is how stiff the frame is. I eventually had to convert to a FS bike (an ordeal in itself as I tried to continue to support Haro by purchasing a Werks XLS and was completely unsatisfied with the bike so I ended up with a Fuel 90) due to the fact that my back could no longer handle the stiff frame, but I guess that is more of an issue of my fitness and skill level ability rather than the frame being too stiff. I have now converted this frame to a singlespeed beast and it has breathed new life into my enjoyment of the trails. I am truly going to be sad when this frame dies....if it ever does.

Favorite Trail:   Hermosa in Durango, CO

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Haro V4S (chromoly) and FS bikes (Haro Extreme, Haro XLS and Fuel 90)

Bike Setup:   Rigid fork with a collage of parts as it is now a singlespeed monster

Submitted by Tom- the Philly trailblazer a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2001

Strengths:    This frame was a replacement for a Kona Kula and it handles just as good and the rear triangle with the mono seatstay really seems to get the power to the back wheel good.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest frame in the world, but who cares

Bottom Line:
This bike is responsive, handles well, is built solid, and is fairly light. I am a big rider at 6' 4" 220 and this frame has never let me down. Overall its a good value and kicks ass!!!

Purchased At:   mtbr

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kula

Bike Setup:   ESP 9.0
Manitou SX-R
Mavic Crosslands

Submitted by James a Racer from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Strengths:    All that I said before

Weaknesses:    Long term frame it ain't

Bottom Line:
This frame was a steal. I payed next to nothing for it and got a great season of racing out of it. It hasn't broken yet, but it's beginning to show signs, ie little sounds and clicks and whatnot, and a bit more flex than when I bought it. For the money it was great bike. Time for that Intense Tracer now. Peace out

Purchased At:   Aardvark Cycles

Similar Products Used:   See Below

Bike Setup:   Upgraded since before...now full xtr and SID race

Submitted by Chris Davis a Cross Country Rider from Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2000

Strengths:    There are none

Weaknesses:    weak frame, bad components, worst bike I ever rode, uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
Worst bike I ever rode. Never buy this bike. Not worth the $750 canadian that I spent for it. If you want a good bike for the same amount of money then buy a Giant Yukon actually it's even cheaper and it's a better bike. So don't buy this bike it's not worth your money and you can get a better bike for less.

Favorite Trail:   Banff Trails

Similar Products Used:   none this bad but probably a fisher price bike

Bike Setup:   bad shocks, acera shifter, acera brakes, both alevio deraileurs.

Submitted by Bart Angelo a Weekend Warrior from Warwick

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2000

Strengths:    Very light, nice yellow color, very agile

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked in 4 places...Haro's warranty replaced it with a 4 year old A2 that weighs about 1 lb more and uses a different size post...thanks for the great service

Bottom Line:
The bike perfomed great until the frame cracked at the top tube to seat tube and at the seat stays. It would have been nice to have it replaced with equal quality. Igive it a poor rating because of the poor warranty service and the overall lack of life.

Favorite Trail:   Big River

Similar Products Used:   853 Jamis dragon

Bike Setup:   xt,xtr,raceface,thomson,rst 3.5,sram 9.0 brakes,irc tires

Submitted by T Mathis a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1999

Strengths:
Low-Fat
U-shaped tob bar
Stiff

Weaknesses:
Not a dually

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame over the internet at Aardvark Bikes for around $230.00. I eventually set it up as a non-suspended single speed. It is in this configuration that I think the quality of the frame really comes out. The frame is super stiff and light; I can ride that bike on one gear vitually anywhere and it is nothing to carry when I can't ride it where I want. The low-curved top bar is excellent for super technical sections and long feel of the bike doesn't compromise it's hair triggered handling; it also feels comfortable on fast decents (and that's w/out any suspension). I great frame, I really love it.

Shaeffer Farms

Coda Cr*P Cranks
Melvin Chain-Tensioner

Submitted by James Tkacik a Racer from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1999

Strengths:
Very light
Good crotch clearance
Crazy yellow color
Team Frame Mistique
Head tube badge

Weaknesses:
Crazy yellow color gets dirty very quickly
Thats about it...wow!

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite bike. It is very light spec'd the way I have it, and rides great. It is stiff, but I like it that way, cause it makes the bike seem faster and more nimble. The bike has great point-and-shoot steering, and is extremely fast. I am very satisfied with this great and surprisingly affordable frame by Haro.

Wakefield, where I broke my collarbone

3 months

Specialized Stumpjumper
Klein Attitude
DBR somthingorother

XTR rear derailleur and ti cassette
XT front, shifters, brakes
Avid Speed Dial levers
Cook Bros. Racing seatpost
Selle Italia Flite saddle
Cane Creek S-5 headset
Rock Shox Judy with Englund Total Air's
Ugly red bontrager wheels
Ugly yellow KORE stem

Submitted by TF a racer from marion nc

Date Reviewed: March 13, 1999

Bottom Line:

As a bike shop owner we needed a frameset our entire team could be satisified with.We chose the A4 frame.We currently have eight members ranging from beginner to expert.All frames are built up using XTR/RaceFace parts & Bomber forks.some Z2's,atom bombs & superflys.These bikes rock!All riders have had no complaints.Weight 23-24 lbs.You cant beat this frame at 300.00!

Submitted by Tom a cross-country rider from San Francisco Bay Area

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

Haro made the frame from the $2300 1998 Haro Escape A4 bike available as a frameset for 1999. This is the frame the Haro XC team supposedly rides. The frame's made of Easton Elite and is reasonably light (3.5 lbs for the 15.5) for the price. I found it for under $300 at a LBS. The frame is built overseas. One novel feature is the stainless steel anti-chainsuck plate under the right chainstay near the bottom bracket.The bike has typical 71/73 XC geometry and is nimble on singletrack and well controlled on fast downhills. Climbs like a goat too. It has a monostay seat stay which seems to stiffen the rear end quite a bit, especially during braking. Its probably the best ride I've ever had. Great frame for a great price.