Home | Reviews | Frameset | GT

4.62/5 (145 Reviews)

GT Zaskar Frame

Submitted by Neil

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    LE frame is light!

Weaknesses:    I sold it for too little money

Bottom Line:
My old 99' Zaskar LE is hands down my favorite mountain bike I have ever owned. It was a great race bike that saw me through years of the Western Collegiate Cycling Conference series. I've had some other arguably faster and better bikes, (specialized epic, cannondale scalpel) since, and just haven't fallen in love the same way. I had it set up with full XTR and a sweet mango colored manitou SX Ti fork. It weighed in at under 24 lbs. Sold it for $300 (all the components including the fork were beat to heck, and I wanted to help a buddy out) but wish i still had it.

Submitted by Pete M

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, fast

Weaknesses:    A little heavy.

Bottom Line:
I own one of the very first Zaskars. This was built in the Long Beach, CA factory. I bought this via a bike shop program in about 1992. The frame is stamped "BLEM" in the drop out as the down tube has a series of ripples in it. The blem did not effect the ride or performance of it. Over the last 20 years this has been an outstanding bike. It is simply bullet-proof. I suspect I'll get another 20 years out of her. More than I can say for either wife!

Submitted by bigmike a Cross Country Rider from schenectady, new york

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2010

Strengths:    Massive, beautiful welds, ultra stiff, indestructable. Point & shoot. This frame does it all. BEST HARDTAIL EVER.

Weaknesses:    ZERO.NADA.ZIP.NOTHING

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame used in 1998. (it's a '97) It's been ridden consistantly over the last 12 years that I've owned it. That's about 35,000 miles of everything you can imagine; racing, commuting, pulling trailers, camping, & just abusing the crap out of it. I will never sell this frame. My kids (18 & 16) are fighting over it when I die. Too bad for them. I'm having it buried with me so I can ride it in hell.

Favorite Trail:   whatever i'm on at the time

Purchased At:   Plains Bikes

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher, klein, 'dale, etc.

Bike Setup:   everything from full xtr cross country set up to single speed cyclocross racer. It does it all.

Submitted by GCRad1 a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Strengths:    The Zaskar frame is STRONG!!! I purchased my ZASKAR in 1995 and still ride it to this day [Dec 2009] Yes, this puppy is OLD and still going strong!!! I ride the Whiting Ranch, Fullerton Loop, San Juan, SaddleBack-Luge and Aliso, Crystal Cove Trails here in Southern California so it has seen it's fair share of abuse.

Weaknesses:    ? WHAT'CHA TALKIN BOUT WILLIS!? NOT WEAK!

Bottom Line:
SOLID - COOL and OLD SCHOOL! But all my full-suspension noob's are building hard-tails... in 2009!

Check out my thread here on mtbr in the GT section "GT Zaskar Cali Edition"

Favorite Trail:   The one's I've yet to pedal!

Similar Products Used:   REDLINE BMX BIKES?

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT Grouppo + the OG Shimano Clip-In "RED" platforms / Tioga DH Bars, Stem and Tires.

Submitted by djfer2008 a Cross Country Rider from rugeley, staffs, uk

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    takes anything thrown at it in its stride. Fast uphill and down, over rocks or muddy stuff.

Weaknesses:    This textbox has no purpose

Bottom Line:
The frame still rides like new. Light and solid. Tried plenty of others, and wouldn't consider anything else.

If you want to play hard, do pretty much anything bar full-on downhill, this is a fantastic bike

Favorite Trail:   follow the dog, cannock chase

Purchased At:   2nd Hand

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock, kona blast - zaskar outstrips them all

Bike Setup:   Had it now for 8+ years, gone through a number of sets of front & rear cogs and mechs, a new set of wheels after wearing all the way through the sides with many years of harsh braking ;-)

Now running Rock Shox Judy front sus, LX front & rear brakes from Deore LX all-in-one levers (these are the dogs - one lever - squeeze to brake, push up + down to change)XT front mech LX rear (sorry, couldn't afford replacement XT at the time) mech, mach 1 wheels on mach hubs and FireXCpro tyres, shimano 525? SPD's, and a Cateye Tripleshot.

Submitted by Bog a Cross Country Rider from Holmfirth, England

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2008

Strengths:    Fantastic stiff, strong frame which goes well with the new Marzocchi MX LO Pro 120mm fork, Climbs and descends beautifully with precision and confidence.

Weaknesses:    1993 USA built frame so no rear disc mount but cured before I bought it with a A2Z adapter to run Shimano XT disc brakes. So NONE really

Bottom Line:
As an XC machine for either long rides or a short blast this bike delivers in every respect. It's stiff, fairly light, really strong, goes just where you point it, it eats hills either up or down and leaves other bikes, including many full suspension in it's wake.

Favorite Trail:   Sherwood Pines, Nottinghamshire

Purchased At:   Second hand off Ebay

Similar Products Used:   GT Tmberline (my first GT), wife's Marin Bear Valley SE (circa 1995) wife's new 2008 Kona Blast Deluxe

Bike Setup:   1993 USA built Zaskar LE, 2008 Marzocchi MX LO Pro 120mm fork, Race Face Evolve crank with X type BB, XT front and Deore rear mech, Shimano XT discs front and rear, Easton EA stem and carbon fibre riser, Mavic X117 rims, Panaracer Fire XC tyres

Submitted by Laura a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, responsive, light, indestructible.....This bike has taken me from newbie racer to enduro fanatic and technical rider.

Weaknesses:    None - other than the paint started coming off as soon as I bought it in 2000. Oh yeah, and it's stiff, so you won't like it if you want plush. I'm getting older so that is the only downside for me.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike. It actually fits me (that's saying a lot) and I am going to ride it until it breaks. I have raced XC on it for 7 years, done some enduro races on it, beat the snot out of it, etc....If you can get one of these (pre-2001) you will be doing yourself a HUGE favor. If you have been riding a dual susp. this bike will teach you how to maneuver even better (there's no room for error) and increase your race speed on your dual.

Favorite Trail:   Old Farm

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   XTR rear, LX front / shifters. SRAM 9.0 brakes, Avid levers, Mavic 517 rims and XTR hubs, old SID

Submitted by art garza a Cross Country Rider from san antonio

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2006

Strengths:    Strenght to weight ratio. Frame is ultra stiff and indestructible. Beautiful ball burnished finish with great decals. Best hardtail on the planet.

Bottom Line:
I am fortunate to own this piece of pure Southern California machined artwork. This frame has the most beautiful welds I've ever seen on any aluminum frames out there. I have a true pre-bankruptcy American made GT Zaskar that I will ride till I die. I am sure that it will outlast anything that I can throw at it. I am opting for a Gary Fisher HI-FI Pro Full Suspension but will never give up my Zaskar. Bombproof.

Favorite Trail:   madrone

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Duke, Mavic Crossride Wheels on Maxxis Crossmark tires. Thompson 120mm stem and seatpost. Azonic riser bars. Shimano LX Rear,Front derailuers. LX shifters,LX Linear brakes, SPD pedals. Fizik saddle. SRAM 9 speed Chain.

Submitted by James Rai a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, U.K.

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2006

Strengths:    2001 race edition easton tubes 2001 frame just before they went bust and sold on and make mickey mouse stuff now.

They were great for xc racing and super light and strong and after 5 years I'm getting it resprayed and a new kit setup.

Weaknesses:    Rubbish copies 2002 onwards, but nobody is gonna pay super price for hardtails anymore unless you're loaded?

Getting rare and as they are strong, ppl use for them jumping? wtf? its a xc machine!?!

Bottom Line:
Great race machine in 99-03, so its not gonna be too sloppy, but older frames will be weaker.

Looked after and it will last years-hence the respray.

Needs a good light weight kit and fork.

The angles are very racey so don't bother using it for long rides or 12/24 enduros...

They have their fans and enemies, I have had different bikes and this needs a good setup for comfort and handling.

Reccomend a short stem if stretched out.

New zakars not as nice but just as capable are updated for larger forks and U.S. edt aimed at Freeride or xc.

U.K. gets rubbish version.

Good as a frame buy as its dead cheap.

Very stiff hamdler and great for xc racing-a must for a collector...

Favorite Trail:   Timberland as its nearby!

Purchased At:   Bike dorks Hut Have a go halfords

Similar Products Used:   New zaskars, Cove, Trance 2 etc.

Bike Setup:   Just refitted in xt and waiting new 07 (time or writing) reba or manitou 7.

Submitted by Clay a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2006

Strengths:    Divine race geometry. No flex, no excuses. Indestructable

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest frame. So stiff it hurts, but in a good way

Bottom Line:
For all-out cross-country shredding, you cannot beat this frame. They are dirt cheap on eBay and build up to easily sub 23-24 pound warriors. Nothing will ever climb or thread like this frame. It is so dialed in everything else feels like novocaine. Do yourself a favor and take one for a rip.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   93 Zaskar, 00 Zaskar X, 98 Zaskar, 99 Zaskar, LTS Team, Y-11, Stumpjumper M2, Litespeed Obed

Bike Setup:   16" full XTR, SID Race, Crossmax rims

Submitted by jp from UK

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2005

Strengths:    Great welding, and nice polished finish. No frame flex, a great climber and equally great descender, a genuine USA made 16" Zaskar that i've had from new. Easton 'e' logo stamped in top tube looks cool.

Weaknesses:    1998 frame so no disc mounts - fixed by using an A2Z disc adapter (a perfect fit). Bottom bracket cable routing is a pain, can get clogged with mud. Stiff rear end can be uncomfy after a few hours riding. Needs polish every once in a while!

Bottom Line:
A hugely versatile frame that will take you on XC loops and can also handle drops and jumps. Built up with the right parts it can still keep up with the new breed of 'hardcore freeride' hardtails. No other frame will quite have the same image as the Zaskar.

Favorite Trail:   cannock chase

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   A few steel Konas

Bike Setup:   XC/Freeride setup, DH parts (stem, tyres etc) middleburn RS7's, Rond Magura Forks, full discs, XT bits

Submitted by David Chun a Cross Country Rider from Fairfield, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    weight, triple triangle, durability, bomb proof

Weaknesses:    no rear Disc mount--it sucks

Bottom Line:
Great decent high end bike that will last for years. I wonder? is this a trials bike? answers to mtnracer@sbcglobal.net

Similar Products Used:   Palomar, independent fabrication

Bike Setup:   Club Roost bars, mavic Crossmax SL tubeless wheels, chris king headset, The Stem stem, hutchinson python rear, Michelin wildgripper front, white industries trials bike cranks, XTR rear Der., sram 9 speed cassette, XTR shifters/brakes (dual control), thomson masterpiece seatpost, Manitou Black TPC lockout 100/120 mm fork

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Toronto ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is stiff and I really like it for the two years I have had it (before it broke {see weakness}). I got this frame brand new. This frame is made in USA (not Taiwan or China) where new GT frames are. Great handling.

Weaknesses:    The frame cracked after two years of crosscountry riding at where the seat tube and the top tube meets. I weight 175lbs and I just do XC riding. ***NOTE that the crack is at the TUBE! NOT THE WELDING! So this is MATERIAL PROBLEM not the welding by GT. This frame is 6061 material unlike the newer Zaskar which are made of Easton Tubing. This frame will not accept rear disc brake no matter what kind of adapter you used for it. Not even QR ones will work.

Bottom Line:
I build this bike myself and its totally customize. I didn't do any dirt jumping or big drops of any kind. It was just one day when I finish riding some XC trails with friends and as we were chilling, we check over people bikes and found the crack on my frame. At first it shocked me as I thought GT Zaskar is a really stiff and strong frame as I have used it two years myself and read many review about it. I don't know what to say to "you" & myself now besides its "not strong" I guess. I currently have three other GT frames and wonder if I should get rid of them as well and this happened. I have seen GTs at high and low price for the Zaskar. I have seen used Zaskar in similar conditions ranging from $100 USD - $600 USD for resale market which was a bit confusing. After all, this frame worked good before it cracked. I will try to do some welding at the area that crack but will need a new frame soon for sure. If you want cheap strong frame that last you two years and you just bike for fun, this is for you. If you are a pro racer and do drop offs and jumps, I guess not. I also heard from a friend saying GT frames are always like this and he said he saw many like this before that are GTs. He said they are really fragile.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Kona, Norco, Trek, Klein, GT, Rocky Mountain, KHS, Canadian Tires POS (supercycle, CCM)

Bike Setup:   Chris King hubs
Nokian NBX 2.1 tires rear
Continental Explore front tire
Thomson Elite Stem
Thomson Elite setback seatpost
Profile design carbon riser handlebar
XT cassttte
Salsa quick release
DT spokes
Time ATAC carbon pedals
Ti - water bottle cage

Submitted by steve cakehole from england

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2005

Strengths:    looks, strength, weight, price

Weaknesses:    ? what ?

Bottom Line:
price in british pounds (£)...SWEET BIKE TO RIDE...REAL HEAD TURNER...EVERYBODY WANTS A GO OF IT...its an xc frame after all isnt it ? ive done xc on it and its great, light, fast and responsive...i do jumps on it, im crap at landings and it still comes back for more, even when i dont, total build price around £800 cant buy a better stock bike for the price ! im very happy with it so its getting 5 + 5 from me...

Favorite Trail:   DELAMERE FOREST.....

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   my older zaskar, hardrock.

Bike Setup:   gt zaskar race 2001(red), marzocchi mx comp forks, lx chainset rest all xt, avid disks, easton ea50 stem, riser bars and seat post, wheels mavic 219 all in black, sdg belair seat, dmr v12 or shimano pdm520 pedals,

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2004

Strengths:    Bombproof, relatively light, adaptable, predictable handling

Bottom Line:
Bought this in 1997. Since then every component has been been upgraded & replaced as my disposable income (and bike perv tendencies) have increased.

Never felt the need to change the frame though. Fits right, climbs great, downhills and takes lots of abuse (including some big stacks), but is light and rigid enough to go roadie in winter with bigger gears & slicks.

An absolutely brilliant versatile frame.

Favorite Trail:   Lingwood Common