Home | Reviews | Frameset | GT

4.59/5 (46 Reviews)

RTS-1 Frame

Submitted by Steve in PA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    I gave a high value rating as I picked up my '96 RTS2 for 700 bucks in '98 while living out in cali. The frameset is bulletproof, and I have had not problems with the rear suspension. It is an XC specific bike, but will downhill if you are courageous. wish there was a source for MCU elastomers as most of my blue 'firm' bumpers have become powder. Trying some elastomers from an aftermarket source, we'll see how things go.

Weaknesses:    It appears that if I break anything substantial (other than available components), I will have to find an aluminum fabricator which might mean a new bike.

Bottom Line:
All in all, this bike from GT (prior to being bought) is rock solid, and it's weight isn't a problem, as another poster said: Dieting is much cheaper than buying esoteric components to shave a tenth of a pound of two.

Duration Product Used:   still using

Purchased At:   the off ramp santa c

Submitted by Richie

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    I have a GT RTS for sale. Nothing wrong with the frame, just had it serviced and a new bottom bracket on as I couldn't replace the old pace one. A few niggles with gears and the back wheel but other than that still a great bike. It's chrome with black rear suspension and yellow and white original decalls. £150 if anyone's interested. E-mail muzzarm@yahoo.co.uk

Weaknesses:    None, frame is sublime!!!;)

Bottom Line:
Pick up a bargain!!!

Submitted by nailr65 a All Mountain Rider from Albany, New York

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2012

Strengths:    Super reliable, love its response in the trails

Weaknesses:    All pivots specifically the hat washers or bushings if you will on at the rear suspension. Replaced them twice. At this point impossible to find replacement parts. May need to have them made.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike from the first time I saw it. The design was simple yet effective. I sold my truck back in 1994 to buy it. When I'm riding it feels like we are one. I have been riding it for 17+ years and I have been all over the country with it. I am writing this review in order to source parts. Is there anyone out there or anyone you know who may have parts for the rear suspension please help keep this awesome, awesome bike on the trails. Thanks Dave from upstate New York email: (ridegtrts2@aol.com)

Favorite Trail:   Grafton Lakes and The Pine Bush

Purchased At:   Plaines in East Gree

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR Components-Crank, bottom bracket, rear derailleur, rear cassette. Shimano XT front derailleur. Attack 8 speed grip shift. Magura Move hydraulic rim brakes with brake stiffeners. Crane Creek headset. Club Roost handle bars. Selle Italia saddle. Shimano DX hybrid peddles. Spin Carbon rims. Bontrager all terrain tires

Submitted by cannetta a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    Someone stole my GT RTS-2. Can anyone help on how to get it back?! Special gift from my dad before he died. Plus, I loved, loved riding this bike. I cried all day yesterday. Doubt I'll find the same one to replace it

Bottom Line:
Willing to buy your GT RTS-2 bike with the original parts and if it's not overly used or in pristine condition.

Favorite Trail:   Midland

Purchased At:   Toronto

Submitted by florel a Cross Country Rider from san jose cali U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    strong sturdy bike, smooth handling ,good climber,classic look and ride feel. cannot be beat i tried riding several newer bikes none feels and ride this old classic.
my bike is bare alum no paint and you can see the awesome welding job.

Weaknesses:    more on the heavy side, but the looks sure makes up for it.

Bottom Line:
great awesome bike, i would keep riding this baby and upgrade the components when needed. happy trails ! keep on riding......

Favorite Trail:   saratoga

Purchased At:   calabazas bike shop

Similar Products Used:   cannondale/ santa cruz/ giant/

Bike Setup:   stock frame with noleen rear shock.ft. shocks are now marzzoci which is handles great on rough downhills, match made in heaven with this frame.

Submitted by Jonathon Edwards a Weekend Warrior from Houston TX

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2005

Strengths:    Great bike! This bike is in mint condition still after 10 years of me riding my herat out. I have only replaced the stickers and have gotten the front and rear shock serviced.

Weaknesses:    Non

Bottom Line:
The best bike of it its time an still kicking A**!

Favorite Trail:   Memorial

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Non

Bike Setup:   All XTR, Easton carbon riser and seat post. Everything still works great! Bike does not even have a scratch on it!

Submitted by Paul from UK

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    Bought an RTS-3 when I was 18, (9 years ago) and loved it. Completely solid bike for the money, & best softail of it's time.

Weaknesses:    The seat stays broke twice over the course of 6 years. Second time round, GT refused to replace the part. I've got an RTS-2 frame off Ebay, and hoping to repair using swapped parts. Very hard to source parts.

Bottom Line:
I really missed riding this frame, so felt I must get it fixed / replaced. Found one on Ebay, and the hope of restoring a classic bike to it's former glory makes me cream my pants. Look forward to riding it more than anything. Get them while they're still working, & look after it!

Favorite Trail:   Local woods

Purchased At:   Michaels Cycles - BAD DEALER!

Similar Products Used:   Carrera Kraken frame. LTS-3

Bike Setup:   Carrera Kraken (soon to be back to my ol' RTS-2/3), Vuelta Airline 1, Judy T2, Panaracers, stock RTS-3 parts.

Submitted by David Evans a Weekend Warrior from Kent

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    Tis still the business. Well I think anyway.

Weaknesses:    The bushes on the base of the shock, where it meets the rocker unit, are prone to rapid wear. This has been sorted out on my bike by cutting off the base of the shock rod and cutting a thread into it. Into this a universal joint has been put, and with some custom spacers, tis running like a dream and needs far less servicing. This job was done for me by CVI in England. Well worth it.

Bottom Line:
Who knows whether its worth keeping an RTS on the road, but I still love the damn bike, and via CVI's work that is now alot less effort. These days they are like a vintage car and I always get riders coming up and drooling over it, even though they are riding santa cruz etc. This perhaps says far more than I ever could. Safe riding. Mal

Favorite Trail:   Lake District / Ridgeway

Purchased At:   Trevs Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ridden loads of GT mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   Tis a workhorse rather than a trick machine. In the past has had amazing stuff on it including XTR and cook bros, but these days I am running a mainly deore based gruppo.

Submitted by Mike Dold a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2004

Strengths:    Good solid frame, nice tig welds and gusseting. Ridden this
bike 10 years with no probs at all.

Weaknesses:    A lot of pivots, but they hold up well. Hoping I can get new
bushings when the time comes. Funky routing for rear brake
cable if you use cantilevers.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a little hefty, but is rock solid and has not
missed a beat in over 10 years! This is not an active full
suspension; the rear only works on the harder hits. This works out well, as this is not a comfort bike and is built
for business. It ticks me off that GT was sold, and soon
you'll probably see GT's at Wal-Mart.

Favorite Trail:   Just ride along

Purchased At:   River Market Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn S10, Cannondale V

Bike Setup:   Built myself from scratch. Rock Shox Judy XC, mostly LX
components. Avid Tri-Align brakes, adjustable pivot levers. [reccomended] Grip Shift Xray, 24 speed.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    I bought this bike about ten years ago and it is still kickin ass. Very strong frame and component setup.

Weaknesses:    The noleen shock loses oil but still works good.

Bottom Line:
As soon as this thing gives up I will get a new bike. I ride very hard and this thing takes the punishment. People talk about weight being a factor and spend thousands saving a couple of pounds. Yeah, this bike is heavy but I still smoke em going up hill and it gives me more momentum going downhill!!! The cheapest way to save weight is to go on a diet.

Bike Setup:   Still running stock except for the front shock. Replaced the rockshock quad 10 after 8 years because it was worn out.

Submitted by Craig a Downhiller from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    Still great looks even though 9 years old! Frame still holding up. Parts holding up.

Weaknesses:    Getting frame or parts now limited to lucky finds on Ebay or similar auctions. Rear end stiff as Noleen shock dies. You have to cranck the spring rate way high to compensate for nitrogen loss.

Bottom Line:
Reviewed a couple of years ago (05/29/01). Recently moved on to a real downhill bike (Santa Cruz Super 8). Still ride the GT on local X-country and downhills. Still a sweet bike that gets the looks and hammers the drops. I'm taking it real easy on this baby and will soon hang on the wall. What a classic. Really can't say anything bad about this bike. A true classic.

Favorite Trail:   Trails at Blue Mountain

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Kamikazee the Outdoor Store

Similar Products Used:   None really

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR, Club Roost, Ritchey, Maxxis MoFo, RST Delta HL, Noleen with piggy-back reservoir.

Submitted by Ralph a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    No biopacing, good uphill climber, well balanced, smooth handling, great classic looks,

Weaknesses:    Squeaking, some noise during downhill, chain slap, a bit heavy,

Bottom Line:
Very reliable, a great bike for really tough off-road use. I've used it in very diverse terrain and it has never failed me.

From very dry to really wet tropic conditions, my GT Team RTS is really a reliable companion. I have traversed very muddy and dusty areas and have not encountered any problem.

Am a bit concerned that I might have a hard time looking for a replacement for the Noleen rear shock though it has never given me any problems (it seems to be bulletproof). A great bike to own.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR front and rear derailleurs, XT V brakes front and rear, and Deore shifters, pedals, hubs; Panaracer tires, Serfas RX seat, Rockshox Judy SL Front shocks, Kore, Titec, parts

Submitted by Nick Swift a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent durable solid aluminium frame/good climber and likes fast rocky descents/takes some stick but only wants for more/I believe that I cannot use it its full potential

Weaknesses:    heavy, flanges give out all too soon in bottom bracket, (Luckily a neighbour mate is an engineer who makes them for me from scratch)

Bottom Line:
Brilliant bike/worth £4700 new!! I bought it for £800, only a year old! VFM+++ Pity about the weight and difficulty accessing spare parts. I hope my mate doesn't retire.

Purchased At:   independent/private sale

Similar Products Used:   Giant, saracen

Bike Setup:   XTR, Pace Racing forks, hydraulic discs front and rear, Hope hubs

Submitted by Andy Moore a Weekend Warrior from York, UK

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Strengths:    Strength of the frame is the best. The build quality is superb. Suspension ois a must for all weekend warriors to save the pounding on trails thoroughout forests and on the Moorlands.

Weaknesses:    Parts are now hard to get hold off and are pricy. Main GT dealer in York is now HALFORDS (what is this world coming too). Sometimes noisy when downhilling! Eats tryes!

Bottom Line:
Fantastic. I can not see myself partying from that quickly made friend in the near future.

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest, N Yorks

Purchased At:   Friend

Bike Setup:   As standard except xtr v-brakes and panaracer tyres.

Submitted by Rob Gibson a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    The suspension exhibits the best of both worlds, not so soft that it hinders hammer time, yet it does absorb much of the large hits you can find around my neck of the woods.

Weaknesses:    The bike is heavy. Even with a custom build up like I did, it still wieghs 25+ pounds for the 16" frame.

Bottom Line:
This is great looking and riding bike. I have the chrome looking Team RTS, and it still looks like new after almost ten years. Yes, that is right. I bought the frame in 1993 and built it from scratch that year. I was planning to buy a new bike this year, but after a trip to a few of my local shops I think I will continue to ride this for a while longer. There just doesn't seem to be a better compromise out theer that looks like the RTS does. Too bad about GT Bicycles.