Home | Reviews | Frameset | GT

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Psyclone

Submitted by jeffgothro a Cross Country Rider from Ventura, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light, perfect craftsmanship, paint, geometry, everything.

Weaknesses:    G.T. no longer makes this frame.

Bottom Line:
Best Mt bike I've ever owned...period! The 19' fit me perfect, felt like a natural extension of my body, like the bike was part of me. Only Mt bike I've ever ridden/built/owned that is close to my Psyclone (r.i.p.) in fit and ride quality is my GT Peace 9R. I can't say enough good things about my Psyclone, wish I still had it. If you can get one, do so, if not give GT's Peace 9R try.

Favorite Trail:   none at the moment.

Similar Products Used:   G.T. Tequesta, Karakoram, Pantera, Peace 9R, Specialized Stumpjumper, Bontrager Race OR (pre-trek), Ironhorse Chimpira, Redline Monocog Flight 29er, Proflex 856, Blk Mrkt 357, Diamondback Apex, ...to name a few.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR, Control Tech seatpost & stem, Avocet Ti saddle, XT pedals, Cooks Bros cranks.

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from ATL, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Strengths:    stiff, light, quality build

Bottom Line:
I bought this in 2001? from a shop that isn't around anymore. They had a ton of new GT frames, stripped, for some reason for cheap. Hanging in the middle of them I see this one. They didn't seem to know what it was. Even though it was used, and pretty old by then, $35 seemed like an unbelievable price. I had always wanted one and couldn't believe it. I rode it until this year. I love everything about it, and would still ride it except it didn't totally fit. I'm an odd size and I've never had a bike fit exactly right so I finally broke down and had a custom frame built.

Similar Products Used:   other steel GT's, Fishers, DB's

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail

Submitted by andrew a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Strengths:    853 colombus steel! nice and light and should last for ages, i have had it 4 yrs so far.

Weaknesses:    just the usual paint scuffs, nothing else oh the 73mm bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
i really like this bike, i had the fortune of buying it off a guy who had a warrenty claim off a low GT and had no idea what it was (proof).
i really like steel frames, this one has all the right attributes, fillet brazing, light and strong main tubes all easy to find sizes of posts and bits. colour is different being white pearl. it rides really nicely although i am not a hard rider at all.
i would recommend one if you need a bike to last for a long time.
this would suit a person who has a real appreciation of the craftsmanship that is not really present on the mass produced bikes.
I read the other reviews and i didn't realise that they stopped producing it. oh well get them if you can

Purchased At:   used frame

Similar Products Used:   91 scott pro racing, cannondale caad 3, 95 specialized fsr, specialised stumpjumpers

Bike Setup:   bit rough at the moment mix of XT from a lot of years, RS judy's '99 models. am considering upgrading totally.

Submitted by ed from Tallahassee

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Strengths:    Light, great climber, laterally stiff yet resilient, Reynolds 853 tubes.

Weaknesses:    No longer made

Bottom Line:
I'm 6 ft. 230 lbs and this bike has zero lateral flex. Climbs beautifully, accelerates wonderfully, but very comfortable. Finest bike I have ever ridden in my 38 years. Needless to say, these frames are not made anymore. Pacific has shut down GTs Colorado hand made bike manufacturing facility. I have a 1999 model and plan to keep as long as it is in one piece. If you love high quality steel bikes like me and you can get a hold of a Psyclone, buy it! You won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Cadillac Trail

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Diablo, Kona Explosif

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR drivetrain w/RaceFace LP Crank, Thomson Stem & Post, Easton Carbon h-bar, XT rear/Ringle Superduper Bubba hubs w/Mustang rims

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Calgary

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Strengths:    Great ride, stiff for steel, finish, weight, lots of detail and thought went into the 99 model.

Weaknesses:    like all handbuilt steel frames. PRICE!

Bottom Line:
I loved my original psyclone. The bad part was it only last a year and the top and downtubes broke in two while riding. approx. 8 inchs back from the head tube.

After some trouble with the GT Canada they sent me a new 99 853 model. GT claimed I hit a big solid object head on, hence the trouble. I was more then pleased with the new frame. Just as beautiful and 853 to boot. Looks are deceiving. Once again it lasted just over a year and the seatstay broke above the dropout.

GT did warranty this one no problem with a 2000 Zaskar LE. They were also nice enough to give me a couple of XTR derailers to make up some of the price difference. I was hoping for another steel bike but so far am very pleased with the LE. I love the new GT geomentry and the ride is not harsh at all. I only hope this one lasts. I have broken a 99 Zaskar LE frame and know of 3 other people who have done the same.

Besides the breakage I am still giving four chilis. The frame was finished perfectly and rode great. I don't think this is a common problem just bad luck and GT has treated me good.

Submitted by Si a Weekend Warrior from Bristol

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2000

Strengths:    I bought the frame then built up the bike around it. The frame is awesome - Reynolds 853, light as hell, perfectly finished and rare. Seriously all the welding is smoothed over and the thing just shouts "quality" at you VERY loudly.
To be honest I can't believe GT have stopped making them, there's gotta be a market for handmade top line steel frames like this, especially when they ride as well as mine. Ok I know the frame costs a bomb, but i've never ridden anything like it. It sprints really really well (even with a 90mm travel fork), downhills better than any hardtail i've ridden, climbings kinda hard - but then thats down to my set up, stick a shorter travel fork on it and flat bars and away you go. As a all day trail bike its awesome. It's inspired me to start racing again - its that good.

Weaknesses:    Nothing at all. Oh maybe the price - £675 for a bare frame is a whole heap of cash. There's no rack mounts which might bug you if you're that way inclined, and I would have quite liked a rear disc mount, but thats a REALLY minor niggle.

Bottom Line:
GT - Start making them again.

Everyone else - Hassle GT, find one and buy it. Its that simple. You will not get a better trail bike. Full stop.

P.S - Don't buy one if your gonna jump it all day - mine weighs in at about 22lbs (thats with a hydraulic disc, 27 gears and a largish travel fork), the frames a bit too light to smash around on a set of doubles.

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   All over the place

Similar Products Used:   Orange Clockwork / GT Timberline both with XT stuff

Bike Setup:   GT Psyclone Frame, Pace RC36 Evo3 90mm fork, Chris King H/Set, Pace Stem, Roox carbon risers, Hope XC4 Pro front brake, Full XT, Hope Hubs, Mavic rims, Tioga Factory XC Fat 66's, Ride On Gore Tex Cables, Hope Skewers

Submitted by Anuar Ahmad a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2000

Strengths:    Its weld is outstanding,smooth. Stiff but not too much. Sprints like a road-runner & climbs like a mountain-goat. Excellent steering at tight singletrack and controlled DH streering. True Temper OX II tube survives severe tumbles and light for a 17" frame. Under top-tube cable routing is its most unique feature.

Weaknesses:    Poor mud clearance at the seat and chain stays.

Bottom Line:
Bought in late '94 and still riding it. To me, it's still one of GT's beautifully made bike. Weld is clean and oustanding ala Cannondale. First thing everyone asked "Is it a composite frame?" when they saw it. '94/95 GT's Yellow/Blue Team colour, it still attract attention everywhere it's riden.

Favorite Trail:   Any off road

Similar Products Used:   Kona Explosif,Cannondale Killer V,Specialised Stumpjumper,GT Xizang,Schwinn Homegrown LXT

Bike Setup:   '95 RS Judy SL,XT/XTR parts,Hyperlite bar & Kore stem,Ti AC seatpost & SDG Ventura Ti saddle

Submitted by windmills a cross-country rider from California

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Best frameset I have ever ridden. This frame has everything: very light (16 = 3.5pounds), lively and forgiving (compared to any aluminum frame), relatively inexpensive(compared to the Xizang), and beautiful welds and paint job. Reynolds 853 is awesome. Great combination with the traditional GT geometry. The only drawback is that it takes forever for GT to send it to you.

Blue Psyclone

This one was close to home, but too big for me. Anyone here get it? [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261000118287]GT Psyclone 20[/url]Read More »

X/post VRC G.T. Psyclone

Its finally here and mine, paid 450.00 and she is a bit rough. Long story short I bought it from LBS shop owner, who bought it new, later grampa'd the bike out as seen in the pics and gave it to his dad, who recently died, who left it laying outside for an undetermined amount of time. There appear t ... Read More »

G.T. Psyclone

Its finally here and mine, paid 450.00 and she is a bit rough. Long story short I bought it from LBS shop owner, who bought it new, later grampa'd the bike out as seen in the pics and gave it to his dad, who recently died, who left it laying outside for an undetermined amount of time. The seatpost i ... Read More »

Buying my dream bike (G.T. Psyclone) what was tubeset was used what years?

Trying to pull the trigger on a Psyclone (if all goes as planned - hope to have it within 30 days from now - seller in another state and lagging a little). The one I have my eyes on appears to be a later 96-98 (not sure, was told 98). Can someone tell me what tubesets were used on the Psyclones? Ear ... Read More »

gt psyclone team frame in team scream from mike king is ready

the beginning.. [URL=http://fotos.mtb-news.de/photos/view/268656][IMG]http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/photos/1/0/4/2/6/_/large/psycloneteam.jpg[/IMG][/URL] now...compl suntour xc pro. wheels comes next week. [URL=http://fotos.mtb-news.de/photos/view/397703][IMG]http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/pho ... Read More »