Giant MCM2 Frame Frameset

4.38/5 (21 Reviews)

Giant MCM2 Frame

Submitted by Jakob Skouboe a Cross Country Rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, light, beautifull, extremly robust.

Weaknesses:    None. Beside its not sold anymore..:)

Bottom Line:
Why the hell make a review i 2007 on a bike produced in 1999 and sold in 2000?. Because the bike is fantastic. I have had 5000 + km on the bike and half of it has been in the forrest.
To day I only use the bike for my daily ride to work and from time to time for a nice ride XC.
In 2005 I broke the frame, but had it repaired in 2006. It was not cheap, but the frame is better than ever today.

Im impressed of the quality of Giantframes.
Today I mainly use a Giant NRS Composite 2006 Custom made for XC.

My next hardtail will be a XTC Composite 2006 model. No doubt..:)

U can se my old MCM Composite here:

Favorite Trail:   Around Copenhagen

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Big Sur, Spezialiced Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   SRAM X.0, Manitou Skareb, Mavic 717 / Onyx, Raceface crankset.

Submitted by Miles Shannon a Weekend Warrior from Puyallup WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    Light light light, surprisingly strong for the weight also.

Bottom Line:
This bike was run pretty hard down some serious trails before i got my hands on it. I have ridden it a few times around Germany and its impressed me. Ive gone off a few 3-6 foot ledges and hit a few jumps at up to8 feet of air and this bike just takes it and smiles. It ahs mostly the same parts as when it was new 7 years ago and they are all still working perfect, although worn greatly from years of riding. Very east to climb and is fairly stable on the downhill for a light bike as well.

Favorite Trail:   Rodalban

Purchased At:   Secondhand

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Response Sport, Trek 4400

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore Crank and Derailleurs, Shimano DX brakes, Rock Shox Judy Fork, Ritchey handlebars and riser.

Submitted by phil sefton a Cross Country Rider from antibes, france

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    light, strong, beautiful

Bottom Line:
Ive just completed 15 000 kms on it in 2 years. Ride to work every day year round, some road, mostly fast pine forest trails. In all that mileage(kilometrage?)it has run at top speed like a Swiss watch. Never missed a gearchange, saved my arse from time to time when I hurled it like a madman down some unexpected gully or jump,all you have to do is remember to ride it light and not tense up,and the frame and kit just soaks it all up. This is the finest piece of equipment that I have ever owned in my life and you would have to kill me to take it off me. I look at full-suspension bikes from time time to time on the trails and then I never see them again because they are usually behind me. The only time it is disadvantaged is going over stretches of buried rocks in the trail and you have to travel at normal speeds for those. The rest of the time I dont even look at the trail surface because the bike is simply welded to me and to avoid things is a thought process and a twitch rather than any conscious effort.
OK it cost a lot of money to build but it was the right decision for my lifestyle, trails, and mileage. I bought it instead of a car and it costs about 100 euros per month to keep on the go, mostly because I bin a rear tyre every 2000 kms and have it stripped and rebuilt twice a year.
I hope to ride it for the next 20 years and insure it against thieving scumbags. I read that it is possible to break the frame, but if you do, chances are you will be travelling home in an ambulance and you have more to worry about than your bike.

Similar Products Used:   My mates bikes

Bike Setup:   Built with XTR components top to bottom, Mavic CrossMax wheels, Sid Team adjustable forks. Carbon bars, seatpost, saddle, stem, and bar-ends

Submitted by Joe Fro a Racer from Manistee MI USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    Super Light, Good Gemometry, FAST,FAST,FAST

Weaknesses:    Not many, Be careful that you don't beat it to hard.

Bottom Line:
This is a very fast responsive frame. I liked it alot untill it broke, Now i'm getting a SE1 frame for warrenty. I should have known better than to buy it used. But the frame looked good and rode great. Still does actually, but now that the frame is cracked i don't trust it. We'll see how the SE1 compairs. My frame was a 99 though and i think that they had a problem with them breaking that year. The warrenty guy knew exactly where it broke before i told him. If you can get a newer frame go for it, just be careful if it cracks it's no good. If your a racer this is good, if your just like to have a light trail bike forget it, it's just not durable enough. But the frame was made to race and of course thing do happen when your pushing the limits on weight.

Favorite Trail:   North Country

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Gary Fisher, Schwinn, Kona

Bike Setup:   Front suspen. Shifters, cranks and pedals, oh and of course wheels all together about a 21 pound bike with out really tring.

Submitted by Jack Lovell a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    An extraordinary light frame that makes for one of the fastest bikes around. Have fitted a USE Alien carbon seat post, a Pace RC31 rigid carbon fork, and various other light-weight components to produce a machine that takes off like Ralph Schumacher on senna pods.
It's one hell of a handsome bike.

Weaknesses:    It's horses for courses, and this beauty is a cross country racer and not an all-terrain rock-hopper. Can't see it lasting too long if it's treated like a carthorse and not a thoroughbred.

Bottom Line:
It is said that kids are often your worst critic because they not only speak the truth but they are always undiplomatic about the way they do it. As I shoot along on my MCM they invariably shout out "Nice bike Mister".
That says it all doesn't it?

Similar Products Used:   None really! Previous bike was a similarly priced but completely different, full suspension - K2 3000.

Bike Setup:   Pace RC31 shock; Magura discs; Titec bars & saddle; USE seat post; RaceFace chainset; Shimano XT.

Submitted by Justin a Racer from MD

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    LightLightLight
Nice Geometry
stiff BB

Weaknesses:    I can SEE the frame flex as I move around on the seat. I know it doesn't need to be stiff that way but it's disconcerting. Also I'm not too sure about the long term durability

Bottom Line:
It's a nice frame. I don't think I would've payed the $800 or $1000 for it originally, whatever it was, but $550 was good enough. (My LBS had had it since '99 and needed to get rid of it) I hope it lasts until I finally decide that I should buy an NRS. (and have the $!)

Favorite Trail:   avalon

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock AL
'99 Giant XTC Se-2

Bike Setup:   lots of differant stuff...but this is a frame review not a bike review

Submitted by scott earnest a Racer from a place, in, new hampshire

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Strengths:    sweet light frame. complete bike built up to 20.5 lbs with dual discs. fast, responsive, and lively feeling

Weaknesses:    inherent fragile nature of all carbon frames

factory setup sucks- build your own component spec

Bottom Line:
hard to find a better race bike. buy it if you can afford a new one in two or three years

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   rock 'n road cycle

Similar Products Used:   cromoly fischer, giant aluminum, specialized aluminum, spooky aluminum

Bike Setup:   sid-crossmax disc-esp-easton-titec-profile-flitegel-hutchinson-maguralouisediscs-time-worldclass(bb)

Submitted by Scott Stallard a Weekend Warrior from Stafford, VA. USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Strengths:    See Below

Weaknesses:    See Below

Bottom Line:
I wasnt sure if this page is for the GIANT MCM TEAM frame(2000) so I posted a review under "Front Suspension". If you are considering buying this frame or your just curious, you may want to read it.

Similar Products Used:   See Below

Bike Setup:   You guessed it, see below

Submitted by Dominic a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Strengths:    Weight, Durability, Stiffness, shock absorbtion, inherent soulfulness

Weaknesses:    Bottom Bracket shell flexes resulting in a BB that will work loose.

Bottom Line:
Rides sweet. Kinda like a wet dream that's come back the very next night...stiff when climbing, soft when going back down. Great ride. 5'1", 170lbs, raced it, dropped off stuff on it, rode slow on it, rode fast on it. Feels like a BMX bike set up to play in the hills. I could keep going but I won't...gonna get another one soon though...

Similar Products Used:   Steel framesets

Bike Setup:   XTR, Gripshift, Englund Kit Judy, Various other extras, Duct tape.

Submitted by Neil a Cross Country Rider from matlock England

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2000

Strengths:    Too many to list, simply the best bike i have ever owned (and broke)

Weaknesses:    None up to a month ago, then my right chain stay broke!!

Bottom Line:
If you are thinking of spending this type of money on a frame (£600 in England), go for it you won't be dissapointed. Allthough i have broke my frame i dont believe this to be a problem as giant are replacing it under warrenty.

Similar Products Used:   No carbon fiber frames.

Bike Setup:   mcm frame, esp gear set up, XT everywhere else

Submitted by andrew from La Mirada, CA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Strengths:    light, solid, compliant, the best "hardtail" frame made.

Weaknesses:    none I can find.

Bottom Line:
I have an older generation model which still has the CADEX name on it. It was the last year before Giant aced the Cadex brand and went back to Giant. I picked this frame up about a year ago at a shop that was closing. I had not been ridding much off road for a few years due to a bad downhill accident. I have been ridding mountainbikes for over 20 years, and have gone through about as many bikes. This is the best frame I have ever ridden, bar none! The frame is rocksolid in the corners - no flex at all. The frame is super light - flys up hills. The frame is vertically compliant - soaks up so much trail harshness it is unbelievable. It is a quiet frame - none of the clinking and clanging of steel or aluminum frames. What more can I say?

The really sad thing for me is that due to previous injuries, I can no longer ride a conventional bike. I loved this frame! It now just hangs in my garage. I can't stand just looking at it any more, knowing I can't ride it. I would be willing to let it go to a good home. I am in the Los Angeles, CA area.

Similar Products Used:   numerous steel and alluminum mountainbikes.

Bike Setup:   Full XT with XTR rear der and casst. Manatou fork.

Submitted by Neil West a Cross-Country Rider from Nottigham, England (GB)

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1999

Strengths:
Super light, very stiff, yet comfortable, I find the bike confidence inspiring even though i've only had it a short time.

Weaknesses:
the frame feels different to any other bike i have ridden, so this can put you off for the half hour of riding.

Bottom Line:
This is the Best bike i have ever ridden, I have only had a short period of time but it has inspired me to ride harder and fatser than my old bike. Yeah, the team riders bikes do break, but they are not the bikes we buy, they are designed to last one race and are so light that they do break prematurely. But the MCM's we buy are designed to last and this bike rules, I would not go back to anything else.

Kaprun DH run