Giant ATX AL 1.75 Frameset

Giant ATX AL 1.75

Submitted by Stefan Eckardt a Cross Country Rider from Huntington, IN

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    Good x-country geometry, good craftsmanship, fairly lightweight, stiff rear end (wishbone seatstay), durable

Weaknesses:    Polish tends to fade, non-standard seatpost required (30.8/30.9)

Bottom Line:
I posted a review back in '98 and this is a follow-up. I have now ridden/raced this frame through 6 complete seasons. This frame has taken every bit of punishment I could deal out with a smile on its face (I am a 175 lb rider). I'm still using the original derailleur hanger, too. The frame has seen three major drivetrain change-overs through the years. There are no cracks in the frame and the tubes are straight. It's the perfect frame for all-purpose cross-country riding and racing. How did I get this frame to last so long? Keep it clean and don't do stupid stuff with it. This is not a DH/freeride frame; it is meant to go cross-country. If you ride with common sense and good skills, there's no telling how long it will last. I'll probably ride it another 6 years if it holds together. After all this time I still give it 5 flamers. What's the deal with all you people reviewing the ATX890 or 980 frame here? Can you read? This is the ATX AL1.75 section.

Favorite Trail:   Frank Park or Warsaw Boys Club Trail

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX780, Giant Rincon

Bike Setup:   SRAM 9.0 group, Avid v-brakes, Manitou fork, Mavic wheels, Truvative crank, RaceFace BB, bar and headset, Bontrager stem, Selle Italia Ti Flite saddle, Panaracer tires

Submitted by Harry Osamu a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2001

Strengths:    Strong

Bottom Line:
The best frame for the money. I've ridden it cross country as a touring bike, off road on cross country trails, Vancouver, BC trails and even down Mountain Creek in New Jersey. Never broke, never creaked. Kicked ass all the time. The derailleur hangar goes every year..no biggie, though.

Purchased At:   Larry & Jeff's

Similar Products Used:   Bridgestone MB-4

Bike Setup:   Judy SL, Thumbshifters, XT

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, Fairly light, Cheap, good for general xc riding.
Customer service.

Weaknesses:    welding looks cheap.
not for steep technical riding orurban assualt.

Bottom Line:
I had a giant atx800 frame for two years, It is a good all purpose mtb frame. Not really excelling in any department but very versatile. Unfortunatley its not really up to hard riding and I cracked the frame in about a month of urban/ street riding. Needless to say the frame was replaced but im now looking for a stockier hardtail.

Submitted by Carl Costin a downhiller from Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

My first decent bike was an ATX 980, and while it coped and was a great bike for a year until I started pushing it.
My first problem was with the rear end which I had snapped at the weld down near the bottom bracket and up at the rear shock bolt.
Full credit to Giant Australia as they quicklly replaced the rear end and shock bolt without any hasles.
Then a month later I noticed some serious creaking when I rode, the problem was another crack at a weld this time up front near the headset on both the top and bottom tubes.
Again hasle free, Giant Australia replaced my whole frame and rear shock.I then bought another Giant this time a ATX1 team DH which was great for three weeks until I snapped the shock bolt twice and bent the frame near the rear shock.
My brother also easily fully snapped his Warp ds2 bike. Giant are great bikes but now I feel that they simply can't handle any hardcore abuse.
As a result I am now selling both bikes and looking at a second hand Intense M1 SL.4 stars for value for money and great after sales service.
- 1 or possibly more because of my problems with breaking them.

Submitted by Peter Yeung a downhiller from Cornwall/UK

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

*********************ATX900 Frame******************************
I have had this frame since February 1998, but I ordered it a season before.
To begin with, I found that the rear suspension wasn't very active. I soon realised that this was due to the 3.5 inches of travel. I changed to the Goldtec 5.5 inches travel plates, and I have found that this has solved the problem.
I value this frame, as I believe it looks good, works well, and is relatively cheap at £625.

Submitted by Sam Smith a racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

Best frame for the bucks. I've been racing it for 2 years and it's the best frame for $200 that I've ever ridden. I know a lot of people who have them and they say the same. One of them has broken everything on his bike except the frame.

Submitted by Adam a weekend warrior from La, New Orleans

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Giant ATX 890 I've had the bike sence 94, it was built to my speks and to this day i still love it it is a ausome bike I've ridden it over hundreds of miles and the frame still kicks !@# No matter if it is single track or down hill or road riding it is perfict for all occations.

Submitted by Greg DiBernardo a cross-country rider from Westwood, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a Giant ATX 860 which is the same exact frame as an 890. I had the bike for four months and rode like a banchee with no frame problems (I took off all the crappy components it shipped with with XTR and an Atom Bomb).The other day I was climbing and noticed a HUGE crack in the top tube of the frame ahead of the first cable boss weld. Needless to say, this shouldn't happen to guy weighing 157 lbs. GIANT would replace it with the same frame, but is making me pay for a rebuild!The frame rode nicely until the failure and I would reccomend it to a person about my size. Because of its flex, I don't think a much heavier person would like it!

Submitted by Greg a racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

*********ATX 890*********
The best frame I have ever had. This frame is the best frame for the value on the market. I have had two of them and I got each one for $170. This bike handles unbelevably, climbs incredibly, and is very strong. My sister's 890 fell off of the the roof of our car going 70 mph (long story) and there was no dammage to the frame. In windy singletrack it manuevers, in some of the rockiest places to ride it floats, on logs it goes right on over, and on climbs well, it climbs.

Submitted by brendan a weekend warrior from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have an ATX 890. Geometry is good. Cool paint job. Made in Japan (boo!). The welds are not pretty, but are heavy duty. I've beaten up a little bit (200+ lbs) and no problems to date. I got the frame pretty cheap, around $225 I think. Overall, I'm very pleased. One note: my brake cable stays were designed for hydraulic brakes so I have to run the cable housing all the way back to the rear brakes (less then perfect!). Keep an eye out for this.

Submitted by riley a cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purched my ATX 1.75 in '96 (it's actually a '95). From a performance stand point I have no complaints. Mine is a 20 (currently called a 19.5), I'm 6'-1 and 215 lbs, so I put it through the paces, and I do feel a little flex, nothing terrible. My only objection is cosmetic...the top tube looks like a sway backed horse, and the down tube is bowed also. I realize that this can happen with aluminum frames, but I haven't seen anything this pronounced since my friend had a '87 or '88 Cannondale. Once cables are strung across the top tube it is very noticeable even from several feet away. I understand why this can happen, it just looks like sloppy manufacturing. I hear about how crappy and cheap Giants are (this is my 3rd one) because of it so I finally peeled the name and model stickers off. This, along with the fact that the many CU92 frames I've seen on the trail and in the showroom are straight makes me feel like I've got 2nd hand product. A solid 4 for performance, 2 for cosmetics.

Submitted by Daniel Cooley a cross-country rider from Moses Lake, W.A.

Date Reviewed: February 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought an ATX aluminum frameset in 1996 and have had no problems with it so far. I'm 5'11 155 pounds and the frame is very rigid under my weight. It handles very well in singletrack and climbs like a mountain goat. My only complaint is the short wheel base as compared to my old bike. When the bike reaches high speeds it is a little sketchy. I have only heard of one frame cracking and that was under the weight of a farely large person, well over 200+ pounds. Overall it is a great bike and is very reliable.

Submitted by Stefan Eckardt a cross-country rider from Huntington, IN

Date Reviewed: January 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this aluminum frame in early 1996 and have ridden it hard for two seasons. The geometry is
classic NORBA cross-country. The bike is ultra-stiff (due to the rear wishbone setastays) and
climbs unbelievably well. It is a little sketchy on high speed descents, but hey, cross-country races
aren't won on descents anyway. The high polish tends to fade after a couple seasons (don't all
polished aluminum bikes do that, though?) but a good cleaning and application of wax or polish
w/buffing still makes it look nice. Like the replaceable derailleur hanger,too. This bike handles
exceptionally well in tight singletrack and is light enough to fly over large rocks/logs. My only
complaint is the 30.8mm seat post size required. I would prefer a standard size. Other than that, it is
the most durable and consistent frame I've ever ridden. Too bad it's not made in the USA!
I give it a 5-star rating.