Giant ATX 900 Frameset

1999 Giant ATX 900

Submitted by Declan Patton a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    strong, good size, well engineered design

Bottom Line:
great for xc, dh, ds, jumping ... basically all round freeride. best frame ever!!!

Similar Products Used:   ridden atx dh 1

Bike Setup:   manitou x-vert, shimano lx, dh crank setup, avid brakes etc...

Submitted by Stuart a Weekend Warrior from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Strengths:    Strong frame, only slight bob,

Weaknesses:    Weight, ugly paint job

Bottom Line:
Before I start I must say I consider this to be the very first true mountain bike (not toy) that i have owned. I got the frame cheap as I cut a deal with Giant on a seconhand Warp that I snapped, thanks Giant.

Very tough frame, I doubt that i'll ever break it (and I weigh 220 lb). Its a bit weighty in the modern day context and I really feel that on long climbs, but going back down is always a blast. It seems to hook up anywhere, anyhow, and I take some awful lines. Soaks up big hits quite nicely, feels really nicely balanced in the air, corners a little slow, but that's how I like it. I am a little tempted to upgrade the travel but I am unsure of what it will do the bikes handling, which is perfect for me at the moment.

If your into freeriding, or just blasting along trails its an awesome frame, it will never make a light weight XC machine, nor a full on downhill sled, but is a good compromise.

Favorite Trail:   S57

Purchased At:   Waranty job

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp, some other bikes I will never admit to riding

Bike Setup:   Marz Z1 fork, shimano WMH-535 wheels, assorted drivetrain comps, stock travel plates.

Submitted by Emilia Pola a Cross Country Rider from Barcelona, Spain

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    Lightness (only 2,4Kg / 5.3 lbs) and stiffness. No noticeable bobbing, unbelievable climbing power. Price very reasonable considering what you get.

Weaknesses:    Color combination not to my taste. Also, lately I've found the front creaks a little. Looks easy to fix, a little grease maybe. I'll post an update if it gets any serious.

Bottom Line:
I climb much faster, much easier and boom my way up technical tracks I wouldn't even attempt with my hardtail. Before I tried this frame I was terrified at the (alleged) loss of power, the increase in weight (almost 1 kilo heavier than my beloved hardtail), and all the horror stories we have been told about fullies. So I compared pulsometer readings at my usual training circuit with the readings I got with the hardtail. Surprise, surprise, I am faster AND my heart rates are slower with the GIANT. Not to mention the fantastic feeling of traction I get all the time, and the ease I simply ride up the rocky stuff that was so much trouble before.
I recommend it to all of you want a machine that will make you climb better, especially technical steep singletracks. I'm still amazed at how much extra traction I get now. I can't feel any bobbing -as I do with the superV (which nevertheless is a good bike). Maybe it's the multipivot design. It descends a lot better too, but the big surprise for me was the climbs. I do not know about other fullies but I swear by this one: I am relearning what I can do and what I can't. A Giant leap ;-)

Favorite Trail:   Pujada al Matagalls, Montseny

Purchased At:   Bike House

Similar Products Used:   Light hardtail (24 lbs) heavily used for two years, Cannondale SuperV 1000 just tested.

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 900 99 frameset w/ Air Vanilla fox float R, Thomson stem and seatpost, Richtey Rizer pro bar, MAgura HS 33 hidraulics, SID XC, Mavic CrossRide wheels& hubs, complete LX set front and rear, Hutchinson Python Gold tires.

Submitted by Andrew Hill a Downhiller from l'ton, tassie

Date Reviewed: April 26, 1999

Strengths:
The bike is pretty much the same as the older model ATX 990, It's made from CU92 al and is very strong. The only different thing is the rear shock, it's change from rock shok to RST 56

Weaknesses:
I have not found any . And I've been thashing mine. Put it this way you are more likely to break it rest of your bike before you break your frame

Bottom Line:
This bike frame I've ever had
it's WICKED!!!