Giant 2001 XTC NRS 1 Frame Set Frameset

4.09/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by mountainbyte a Cross Country Rider from guilford, ct usa

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    light, fast

Weaknesses:    Like others said the flex in the rear end. It can be minimized perieodically by replacing all the suspension bearings in a kit from Giant that costs about $50.00

Bottom Line:
Bike is fast but tempermental. It needs its second set of bearings and I wore a hole through the rear chainstay riding with backend slop. Do not use any tire bigger than a 2.2, if possible. Back hub always craps out, for some reason. Regardless if its Mavic or Hugi or XT.

Light weight achieved through extra delicate frame. Don't crash this one hard. It is a good race bike for those who want to keep the componentry and moving parts fresh, sharp and shiny. If you like to wear your stuff out before replacing, you need a bike that will last longer.

Favorite Trail:   westwoods

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Baybrook bikes

Similar Products Used:   FSRs,XLT2,King Kikapu

Bike Setup:   Stock but for upgraded rings and Psylo SL on front for more cush.

Submitted by len g from San Ho, CA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2003

Strengths:    -noBOB
-decent components

Weaknesses:    Lots of flex on chain stay which causes the rear tire to rub. Workaround is to re-dish the wheel

Bottom Line:
great bike with the exception of the chainstay flex. This is a major design flaw because a pivot was placed too close the center of the chainstay. When torque is applied to the cranks on steep uphills or quick peddle kicks, the back wheel WILL rub.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   GT

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Dean a Downhiller from South Africa

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Strengths:    Unbelieveable climbing for a full susser; Python tires are superb in loose sand.

Weaknesses:    Occasional ghost shifting in Granny gear

Bottom Line:
Love it. I went from a struggling climber to actually enjoying the climbs. The bike is awesome uphill, and downhill it is very chuckable. I'm a large rider (6ft, 102kgs) and this bike seems to make me much lighter. I was initially skeptical, but am floored.

In comparison to my previous brakes (XT Discs), the Hayes are not as powerful; they do work damn well however!

Anyone looking for a bike that will take you across the country, will be fairly comfortable, wil climb with the best of them, and make your downhills massively enjoyable, get the NRS! I was at one stage contemplating going to a hardtail to climb better, but the NRS was a much better option.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Marin Shorline Trail, with Marzocchi shocks, bontrager disc wheels, XT discs

Bike Setup:   NRS1: Mavic tubeless wheels, Hutchinson Python tyres, WTB saddle, SID shock, Race Face and XT drive train, Hayes Comp disc brakes

Submitted by Nat a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    -

Weaknesses:    -

Bottom Line:
This isn't a review or anything so I'm sorry if your reading this and think it is useless.

I just wanted to let anyone interested on buying just the NRS frame new in on some common sense. The NRS frame which is about $900 at speedgoat is the same exact frame as the NRS 3 which retails for just over a 1000 at the lbs. So why not just spend a 100 dollars more and get the NRS 3 and cannabalize it if u want better components. The stock components on the nrs 3 are worth well over $300 anyways by themselves.

Maybe u can buy an nrs 3 strip it for just its frame build it up with top of line components and then get one of those good $100 Access frames from Supergo and make urself a beater hardtail.

its just a thought....

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   -

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Torrance

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Strengths:    Hardtail ride qualities. No bob if set at Giant suggested negative air pressure. Fairly lightweight. Replaceable rear derailer hanger. Good rear shock. Color. Made in Taiwan!!!!

Weaknesses:    Brake induced lockout. Tube walls are thin (had to to cut down weight), those with bike carriers clamps beware.

Bottom Line:
This bike climbs like a hardtail with no bobing effect. I used to get lower back pain riding my xtc SE1, not anymore. I go down hills faster with it. Overall a great frame.

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn S10, 1998 model.

Bike Setup:   Hayes Hydraulic disk brakes. Spinergy xyclone wheelset. Marzzochi bomber Z2 Atom. Thompson seat post. The rest are swap from my 2000 giant xtc se1.

Submitted by Jay T a Cross Country Rider from Rizal, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Strengths:    Most good looking suspension design ever. Very stiff and climbs well like a hard tail. Does not bob even if you're climbing standing up if suspension is set-up to specifications. Very competitive price. Nice paint job. Integrated AHeadset. Availability of distributor warranty in the Philippines.

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension needs adjustment after every ride especially is you like dirt jumping. A little heavy.

Bottom Line:
Good looks, affordability and performance makes this frame an excellent choice. I recommend this to any cross country biker who wanted to have or upgrade to full-suspension that is fast and fun to ride.

Read the manual and follow the set up instructions for optimum performance especially suspension pressure and rebound adjustments. Though I suggest you add 5-10 psi to the recommended pressure.

I havent really tested the strength of the frame to the max because i have been riding only every Sunday since I bought it. Though I like dirt jumping whenever the opportunity is there.

I will post another review later when I cover more tracks especially technical ones. Kung may gusto ka pang malaman sama ka na lang sa trail every Sunday 7:00am at McDonalds Marcos Highway, Marikina.

Favorite Trail:   All XC trails in Rizal

Purchased At:   Joven

Similar Products Used:   My first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Judy TT, Pro Max disk brake, Alivio groupo, Maxxis tires. I was actually lucky to get the complete bike. Although it came with mid-range parts, it is quite cheap for a slightly used bike. The only component I hate are the Pro Max disk brakes (it sucks!!!).
I will definitely upgrade except for the frame probably Deore groupo with disk brake, Titec.

Submitted by jacques modiano a Weekend Warrior from barranquilla, colombia

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    it eficiently eliminates pedal bobb while absorbing bumps.
costs half of other efficient full suspension frames (i.e. titus racer x, ellsworth truth)

Weaknesses:    don't know yet

Bottom Line:
it gives the rider much more control and thus speed on downhills, rocky terrain and wow! even adds traction on steep, slippery uphills which makes having a full suspension bike way more desirable than a hardtail.
don't get if you're a speed scared brake hugger

Favorite Trail:   pelicano

Purchased At:   speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   none. nobody rides or sells full suspension bikes in this town. i couldn't even try this frame before purchasing....was hoping to compare with titus racer x and ellsworth truth

Bike Setup:   marzocchi, v brakes, XT. buying the frame set allows for a much lighter bike than the stock built version for about the same money

Submitted by Sean a Racer from Blton CT USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Strengths:    The suspension

Weaknesses:    Fame

Bottom Line:
Me and my friend have the same bike and after 3 months of riding both of our rear swing arms on the bike started to flex and bend with the slightest amout of pressure only on the left crank arm. Which causes the frame to bend into the wheel and rub and my tire has wear marks and a black streek from the tire rubbing, also I had my bike leaned up on a tree with the seat leaning on it and my bikek rolled backwards and the top tube bumped into the tree leaving a noticable dent in the frame with sum scratches. Aother problem i had witht the frame is that i had the rear swing arm break on me and had that replaced.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC/1

Submitted by Don a Racer from Pa

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent suspension design for both trail riding and racing - versatile, excellent handling traits, cartrige bearings at main pivots, climbs very well

Weaknesses:    Tubes are pretty thin walled in places, though I haven't dented any yet

Bottom Line:
I actually bought the NSR XTC3 bike and stripped it of all but the Deore shifters, Avid levers, Deore front der, and Diacompe integrated headset (I swear it is as smooth as my King HS). I did this because my LBS gave me a good price on the entire bike, and I used the parts to finish two other bikes which are for sale now. My frame is painted vs the anodized team frame (frame-only), but does include standard brake mounts as well as disc tabs, just as the team frame. Giant is on to something here. This frame is fast, comfortable, and versatile: it climbs very well, accelerates almost as well as my hard/softtails, yet it does this while absorbing trail shock. Traction and control on loose, technical climbs is sweet, and I am much fresher at the end of rides/races than before. The NRS design works. Set up like the manual suggests, the bike can be raced like a hard tail that happens to work like a FS when a bump is encountered. I don't know how it works, but it does. It accelerates like a hard tail, yet soaks up the bumps. When the shock pressure is dropped just a few pounds, the bike is a plush trail/training bike. I don't know what my bike weighs, but it feels light and maneverable. I struggled with stem length and seat set-back at first because my STP was kinda stretched out and I was used to it. I went back to the shorter stock Titec stem and the bike is very neutral handling and confidence inspiring. I have raced this bike 3 times in the sport vet class, and won my first race (technical and extremely rocky)by over 5 minutes, took second in the next (a roadie oriented course that a cross bike could have been used in: the bike was awsome, though I did give up a bit on the long climbs to the Ti hard tails so prevelantly used), and I led my last race by over 5 minutes with 2 miles to go when my rear wheel came apart, dropping me to fifth, no fault of the Giant. I had such an advantage on the decents and through rocky, technical sections that I felt like I was cheating. I have heard some riders say that FS makes them better riders: well I would change this by saying that if you are already a good bike handler and technical rider, you can go faster with the NSR at the same level of control than with a hard/soft tail and remain fresher at the end of the race. What I have noticed is that if I can stay close at the start of the race on the climbs, later, when the other racers start to fade, I am still strong and can open up a comfortable gap around the 1/2 way point. I was sold on the handling, the rear suspension quality, and the use of sealed cartridge bearings at the main pivot points. This is a sweet frameset that can be used as trail bike and a race bike depending on how you set the rear shock pressure. My only regret is that while I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the cheap Deore shifters, front der., Avid brake levers, and Diacompe headset, the rear end can get a bit bouncy with the cheaper, non-adjustable RS Sid shock on the XTC3 frame. Can't say enough about this design though, it is versatile and race worthy. More travel than the popular crop of short travel XC bikes, and superior climbing traits to boot. While I am happy with my painted frame with the non-adjustable shock (I will try a Fox or Cane Creek later this month), I would recomend the frame-only option to get the rebound damping adjustment and the anodized finish. If only this frame was available with a carbon lefty...
dp

Favorite Trail:   the old 24 hours of Canaan course

Similar Products Used:   Fuel, C-dale Scalpel/Jester/Raven, FSR, Santa Cruz, D-Back, Dean & Trek soft tails, many others

Bike Setup:   Medium NSR, Easton carbon bars and post, Titec stem, TruVativ Stylo Team crankset, XT BB, Mars Elite fork, XTR/Valiant wheelset, XTR V-brakes & Rear der., deore shifters & front der., Avid brake levers, etc.

Submitted by Alex Tromp a Cross Country Rider from Apeldoorn, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    LIghtweight for a suspension design, great looks, up to date (integrated aheadset, newest shock, proper strengthening)

Weaknesses:    Matt paint

Bottom Line:
Very nice indeed. This is about a XtC team frameset. In Europe the models come a little bit different. Fact is that I'm riding the near exact frame as the team is supposed to ride.

The rocker has now got two mountinpositions for the shock, but you only need position 1. Pos. 2 bobs far too much, you need too much pressure to get it working a bit like an NRS. The thing is lighter than the old frame.

The geometry is a bit different too, like a little shorter top tube. It handles absolutely beautiful. Not expensive for a frame with these traits.

Favorite Trail:   All the woods around Apeldoorn