Fat City Cycles Fat Chance Titanium Fat Frameset

The Titanium Fat Chance is significantly stiffer than other titanium mountain frame designs, while not overriding the supple feel of titanium. Stiffness is the key to maximizing performance in a titanium frame. Stability and predictability have also been engineered into the ride of our Ti Fat resulting in the same "positive control without compromise" of our Yo Eddy. This frame accelerates better than all other Ti mountain frames, climbs like no other, and is more stable in all-out descents. Fat City's size-specific tubesets are proprietary and only available in our Titanium frames.

Submitted by MIkeY from NYC

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2003

Strengths:    The ride! The innovative touches such as the custom drop outs...

Weaknesses:    Isn't made any longer... :(

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my first reveiw-I saw this Ti Fat Frame (an older 94 model with the "mono-stay" rear) on the MTBR Classifieds and I scooped it up just to have it as a "spare" ;)

Favorite Trail:   Central Park Bridal Path

Purchased At:   MTBR Classifieds!

Similar Products Used:   Titanium Fat Chance (My other one), Steel Full Rigid Fat Chance 80's Style...

Bike Setup:   Not Built up yet...

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Lüdenscheid

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    HI,

I am search a Fat ti with originally Fork in s/m our m our m/L. Makes Offer to yoeddy33@tiscali.de

Thanks Tom

Bottom Line:
fat TI

Purchased At:   I am searchin

Submitted by mike snare a Cross Country Rider from wales

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    fat legendary build quality, the paint job!

Weaknesses:    errr, non!

Bottom Line:
this is just a follow up to say that I've got the fat chance yo! eddy that I was after for so long, a 92 pearlized lavender baby thats mint!

i'm going to be organising fat chance rides on a regular basis in the Uk for all those interested mail me!

scant

Favorite Trail:   abertillary

Similar Products Used:   fat chance ti

Bike Setup:   frame @ present

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from honolulu

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Strengths:    Ahhh...It's a FAT. The welds. The internal butting. The ride. The dropouts. The lightness without being a noodle. It's very subtle and refined.

Weaknesses:    Good one...(sorta showing it's age, 63mm fork set up, no disc brake tabs) Doesn't have the cool ti headbadge like the 10th anniversary did. 29.4 seatpost. All small, silly things.

Bottom Line:
When I cracked my first Yo-Eddy for the second time, FAT suggested that I upgrade to the Ti frame. So I did. One of the smarter things I've done.
Of all the group I ride with, I have the oldest bike. And I'm one of the last hardtail holdouts. Sometimes I think about about getting a F/S, then I go for a ride. :-) Tried a F/S once, and it's long gone. Couldn't compete.
On tight single track, the bike squirts around like a bar of soap that's been stepped on. it rails the turns and flows. No problem pushing it into corners and skimming trees.
The climbing isn't as great as it could be, as I'm running a 130mm/15 degree Syncros stem, but I have no qualms about trying some truly silly stuff (hence the seat QR). But when it's this light...that helps the climbing a lot.
The 29.4 seatpost is a bit of an odd size. I'm running a 27.2 post with a shim. Works okay, but not great.
The ti seems to take a bit of the edge off (not as harsh as my Yo Eddys). And it doesn't rust (very nice here in Hawaii). Did have the frame painted, as I found the Ti colour to be a bit plain.
All in all, it's very good and I truly wish Fat Chance was still in business.

Favorite Trail:   I'm not fussy

Purchased At:   Fat Chance, R.I.P.

Similar Products Used:   Yo Eddys

Bike Setup:   Let's see...Xt thumbies, Sweet Wings cranks. Syncros Ti post. X-Fly. CK Race Lite wheel set. Geax Tires. Salsa seat collar and QR. Other interesting bits and pieces, so it's fairly light.

Submitted by Evil 1/2 a Cross Country Rider from Chatham, NY

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Strengths:    Everything. Ride, geometry, craftmanship, rarity, etc. Can't imagine how this could be a better bike.

Weaknesses:    No longer made.

Bottom Line:
I should start off by saying that I bought this bike used, with 3 years already on it. It's a NY-made Fat Chance with a 1 1/8 headtube.

Chris Chance's hardtails have been hailed by many for their beauty, durability, and ride. Mine has lived up to this reputation in spades. My expectations were quite high before I even bought the bike. After riding it, I have to say it has exceeded my expectations by a WIDE margin.

Fats use typical East Coast cross-country geometry--steep, with a bias toward singletrack and hard climbing, at the expense of some stability. Initially I thought it steered a little too quickly, but after a few rides I got used to it. This bike cuts the singletrack with scalpel-like efficiency. It also climbs like a rocket. The only place it can get squirrelly is on steep downhill grades, but in situations like this it pays to slow down a little anyway. Overall, damn near perfect.

Handling: 5/5

The ride was just as good. Very balanced and smooth, like a good steel hardtail, it also has a lively feel that most bikes lack. There is no lateral flex to speak of, and the BB is solid. It can't be described as forgiving, though--hit a square-edge bump or root and you'll feel it. Don't expect lots of compliance, but if it's efficiency you're looking for this bike is just right.

Ride: 5/5

Ah, the craftmanship. Welds are buttery, threads on the BB and head tube are smooth, and overall finishing quality is very high. This frame is in the same exclusive company as Moots, Merlin, and Seven, both in beauty and price.

Craftmanship: 5/5

Overall this is one helluva ride. Worth every penny spent. (Value represents cost of a new bike)

Purchased At:   Classifides

Similar Products Used:   First titanium hardtail. Also own other hardtails from Surly, Marin, and Jamis.

Bike Setup:   18.5", SID, Mavic 519/LX, XT 8-speed, 747 pedals, HS-33's, Chris King headset etc.

Submitted by Flo a Cross Country Rider from Idar-Oberstein, Germany

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    In short there¡¦s nothing much to say about this frame other than I fell in love with it from the first day. It might not be the lightest frame out there, but its incredibly stiff for a titanium frame. I don¡¦t have much experience with riding other frame designs or riding other materials then titanium, however I find it hard to believe that one could find a bike that rides as smooth and has the overall acceleration and handling to match. The built quality is nothing short of exceptional. The dropouts are a piece of art. I've never seen a frame built like it. Merlin, Seven, Lightspeed, nothing in my opinion comes even close. Over the six years I¡¦ve had this bike I¡¦ve continually upgraded its components, but I have no intention of ever ¡§upgrading¡¨ the frame. My compliments to Chris Chance for building a bike that to me exemplifies ultimate ride quality and pride of ownership.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is that my decals are starting to go, since they are glued to the frame without any protective clear coating. But who needs decals anyway?

Bottom Line:
If you can still find one (Fat City Cycles closed shop a while ago), get it! If you want the best and are prepared to pay for it, this is it. Regardless of the frame's fairly high price, I think you'd be hard pressed to find more true value for your money - if you are still lucky enough to find one that is.

Purchased At:   Maxim Bycicles, Boulder Co

Bike Setup:   XTR brakes and shifters, RaceFace Cranks, Syncross handelbar, Mavic 517 ceramic rims with XTR hubs, Shimano pedals, Chris King ti headset

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Best Bike Ever made period!!!!!!!!!

$5000.00 bike after buildup and worth every last cent, would do it over in a heartbeat, but as you COG's know it's the last frame you would ever need to buy.

Weaknesses:    weaknesses, you must be kidding, it is the bike to which all others strive to become, and all fall way short, as I always say, You get what you pay for!!!!

Bottom Line:
Lets face it, there was never and probably will never be a better bike than a Fat Chance, any model not just the Ti Fat, but the Ti is the flagship, putting all of Chris Chance's knowlege of bike building while using the absolute best materials, I hope someday we see Fat in production again, or if not a bike somewhat close to the quality of a Fat, but in the meantime, I GOT MY FAT Ti, do you?????

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain N.J.

Purchased At:   Ridgewood Cycle Center (frame only)

Similar Products Used:   nothing else compares to a fat chance!!!!

if you had to buy new now since Fat did not want to sell out, I would have to say the closest by a wide margin would be, Merlin, Seven, or some of the other higher end boutique bikes, but in reality none will ever be better than my Fat!!!!

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox limited edition Judy/Specialized FSX carbon fiber shox with coils added, bontrager Ti bars, Ringle violet anodized moby post, Ringle blue anodized zooka stem with riser rings (adjustable bar height),Real blue brake levers with Onza canti's brakes, Nuke Proof carbon hubs, Mavic 217 SUP's, Control Ti axles, scott spd peds, Ti bottom bracket, SDG Titanium kevlar saddle, pedros grips, control tech bar ends, gripshift 24 speed, XTR derails, cranks, cog set, sprockets, polar heartrate monitor, cateye altimeter cyclocomputer, WTB kevlar tires, lightweight tubes, bassworm, dcd chain tensioner, Ringle mojo cable hanger, goretex brakelines, ti bottle cages, DT double butted stainless spokes,

Lightweight, and still the strongest bike I have ever seen!

Submitted by Mikey from NYC, New York

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Strengths:    I have been riding CroMo Fat Chance Mountain Bikes for 17 years and have always been pleased with the ride, the handling and the stiffness of their steel frames and rigid forks, my newest bike the Titanium Fat Chance was one of the last frames made before Fat City Cycles shut down last year and I only recently built it up and it exceeds by far any other bike I have ever ridden! It has all of the qualities that made Fat City bikes famous-Unbelievable craftsmanship, Quick acceleration on the uphills, Responsive and controlling on the descents, while being extremely comfortable by remaining stiff yet not jarring as a result of the Titanium butted tubes-It feels like someone shaved 10 pounds off of my old CroMo Fat Chance! It is a pleasure to ride. One note: This Frame has the standard rear triangle with the domed seat stays like the Cromo Fat frames, not the "Uni-Crown" rear on the earlier Ti Fat Frames.

Weaknesses:    Lack of availability! Unique seat post size, difficult to find a wide variety in 29.4

Bottom Line:
My dream bike, I wish I could buy a spare! If you ever come across one snatch it up you'll never need another frame!

Favorite Trail:   Central Park Bridal Path

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Fat City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fat Chance CroMo bikes...

Bike Setup:   Custom Titanium "Yo Eddy" Style Rigid Fork, White Brothers Ti Riser Bars, Thompson Elite Stem, WTB Grease Guard Headset and Bottom Bracket, Cook Bros E2 Cranks (24-34-44), Shimano New Style DX Platform Pedals, Old School Shimano Deore XT Thumb Shifters and Deore XT front and rear Derailleurs, New Shimano Deore XT V-Brakes and Levers, Phil Wood Hubs, Mavic 281mm Rims, Threaded on 6 speed Freewheel, Panaracer Smoke Lite 1.25 Tires, Ritchey Logic seat post, WTB Podium Ti Saddle with the extremely important comfort zone-The Best saddle I've ever ridden!

Submitted by Ryan P a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Strengths:    It's rarity. I've never seen another. The ride is amazing. I'm no pro, but I love this thing. This has to be the next best thing comfort wise to a full suspension ride. It's just wonderful.

Weaknesses:    The 1" headset is obsolete. I have an old Judy (w/Englunds) that fits it, You can still buy Marzocchi's to fit it, and I have an AMP Carbon fork that fits. I wish it came with the Big 1" Ti fork, but mine didn't. That's the only thing. I may pursue having a 1-1/8" head tube added as the guy below did.

Not quite as efficient as my fiance's Stumpjumper M2. but that's niggling. I'm not a super powerfull rider, so it's not an issue.

Bottom Line:
My brother sent me an email a few years back telling me some east coast shop had this frame for sale for $1000 (NEW!) I called them and had it on its way to me in 10 minutes. I NEVER thought I would ever have a chance to own one of these. Didn't the frame once retail for $2300?!

Yeah, there's newer stuff out there, but I don't think I'll ever sell this. I'll probably eventually get a 1-1/8" headtube welded on (if I can ever find a local shop to do it).

Anybody out there know where I can find a Fat Ti Big 1" Fork? I want one badly. Email me with any leads!

I use it for everything. Mtn Biking, dinking around town, road riding, staring at, commuting to work.

If I ever lose this bike, I too will join the effort to hunt down Chris Chance and have him build me another.

Purchased At:   some bike shop on the east coast

Similar Products Used:   1990 circa Fat City Wicked, 1997 circa Specialized FSR, Slingshot Mtn Frame(pre-folding I really liked this bike)

Bike Setup:   kind of odd: mostly XT drivetrain. Salsa Bell Lap drop bars, Salsa S.U.L. ahead road stem. King no-threadset. Dura-Ace bar-end shifters (9 speed). Campy Record Carbon Brake Levers and XTR V-brakes(with travelagents). Syncros Alu. Post. Mavic/Hugi wheels. IRC tires. Ancient SPD 737 pedals. All put togethor via my "hack" mechanic skills. Probably weighs 23-24lbs. A road wheelset will soon be built up with some 26X1" slicks and a close range 9 speed ultegra rear cluster.

Submitted by mike snare a Cross Country Rider from wales

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Strengths:    this is by far the stiffest drivetrain ti bike ever made. did i say the amazin build quality an flawless handling

Weaknesses:    fat city shut down last august due to the availability of cheap f.s bikes and lack of demand of quality hard tails.

Bottom Line:
part of mtb history died when fat city shut down.
this was an still is for the lucky few, one of the great bikes of all time. cambria bike outfitter probabily said it best in their adverts, fat city yo eddy, best steel hard tail, fat city titanium, need we say more.
i could go on about fats legendary handling and build quality, but u know all that, i'm just here to tell the new skool generation, fat city cycles, u missed out. big time.

if anybody has a 2nd hand yo eddy in med to sell i'm def interested!!!

Favorite Trail:   abertillery

Purchased At:   fat direct

Similar Products Used:   merlin, xizange, litespeed kona etc

Bike Setup:   u ready for this! w.bsc72ul forks, 7 stem, mrc ti bar, king ti headset, king hubs, mavic 517 ceramics, xtr cranks,pedals, mechs, ti cassette,brakes, srp ti bolts, ti qrs, air b tubes, spesky team tires. 22.3 lbs yet strong an reliable, ride all day set up, comfy and fast

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from NY NY USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Strengths:    Everything you can think of and more. I have been riding FAT'S since 1990, I had a "Clasic" then a "Wicked" and now the TI FAT. Fast on climbs, fast and stedy on downs and flawless workmenship

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses are you jokeing???

Bottom Line:
The best ride I have ever had. If your looking for a Ti frame and are not so worried about price get one.

Similar Products Used:   mirlin

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z2, Daves speed dream wheels, Magura brakes, Syncros stem and post, Sweet Wings cranks, Time Atac pedals, Sram drive train

Submitted by kevin queenan a Cross Country Rider from seattle

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Strengths:    I've had my s/m ti fat chance since may of '95, and since then I have worn every single part out a few times over. durability is bomb-proof welding gorgeous, double and triple butted tubes-you do the math-this frame is simply a work of art that rips. I have had the 1' head tube removed by the folks here in seattle named Ti cycles. They installed a 1 1/8 headtube, and adjusted my cable routing from the side of the top tube to the top of the top tube. (nicer for v-brakes..) next is my disc brake mount.....

Weaknesses:    the only weakness is your legs and lungs-not the bike dummy

Bottom Line:
this is the finest mountain frame I have ever ridden-by far. there is no comparible frame out there that is made with so much LOVE. The feeling this baby gives you is worth whatever it takes to buy one.

no gimics, no ads, just a fine frame.

if I wanted another bike I would have used the 1' headtube excuse to upgrade, but to where? a new fat would be nice, but I have so many miles from the east to west on this frame that it would be a waste not to keep hammering on it.

so now I have my ultimate bike, built up like I want. see you on the trail.

-kq

Favorite Trail:   river runs through it in BC

Similar Products Used:   yo eddy! chris chance road/klein/specialized/santa cruz/serotta/crackinfail...i mean cannondale...

Bike Setup:   I have this baby all set up with a white bros fork up front, king headset, xtr drivetrain + hubs, ceramic mavics,marwi ti spokes, syncros post, flite saddle, easton stem, syncros bar, gore cables-it's the 23 lb monster!

Submitted by Lynn Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Ketchum, ID USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Strengths:    I've had the same Fat Chance Ti. frame for 9 years. The only thing that is still original is the kooka cranks, the king headset, a synchros seat post and one rear Mavic ceramic wheel (not the spokes). Everything else has worn out and been replaced at least once. The frame is bullet proof and the geometry is still modern. The rake and stem angle is perfect for the toughest of climbs and switchbacks. I,m not a weight weeny particularly, but without trying to make it light, the bike weighs in at 21.1 lbs.. I'm putting a Mazocchi Z2 AB shock on and taking off a 9 yr. old Rock Shock SL Ti. which has served me well. However, I'll probably be up to 21.6 lbs. when I do. I know of no other rider that has kept his frame for more that half the time that I've had mine, nor ridden theirs 1/4 of the distance. I take the time to do a two hour tough ride almost every day of the ridable year. In my estimation I have in excess of 10,000 hard single track miles on this frame. I probably will never have to buy another frame, unless I can't find a 1" thredless shock to replace the new one when it wears out. It just pays to buy quality and I've got the bike to prove it.

Weaknesses:    Its 1" thredless stem requirement will eventually be my bikes biggest problem. I may buy a second Marzocchi just to have a backup!

Bottom Line:
I know that this bike is a very expensive one. Most people have other priorities for their money and time. At least most people are not going to spend as much time and money on a bike as I. If you are only going to ride on weekends and then not that often, you can spend a third as much and have a very servicable machine. My thinking is to buy the very best frame that you can afford. Add to that less expensive parts and as they wear out replace them with parts that will last longer and are lighter. Weight is an important factor, but not something you should become obsessed about. Other companies make good frames also, but I've just never ridden them. Also, just because it says titanium, doesn't mean the geometry or the workmanship is good. Fat Chance frames are, however. I also have a preferance for hardtails, and some opinions (that I wont go into here) about why dual suspensions are being hyped as much as they are. Ride safe.

Favorite Trail:   Adams loop to Harpers

Similar Products Used:   I've never riden anything else. If something happened to this one and couldn't get another, I'd kidnap Chris Chance and force him build me one.

Bike Setup:   Fat Chance Ti 18 1/2" frame; King headset; Bontrager ti bars; Kore stem; XTR components include shifters (with Paul's break levers), derailers, Bottom bracket, M950 ti Cassette, rear hub, chain and V breaks; 2# Mavic ceramic wheels and front hub (Spokes are double butt/ alloy); Speedplay Ti frog peddles; Kooka cranks with XTR gears and a 20 tooth granny ( for those steep rocky climbs); Pan Racer Dart and smoke tires with light tubes; SST 98 WTB seat; synchros seat post; Squewers are ti.

Submitted by Christian a Racer from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2000

Strengths:    Durability, handling

Weaknesses:    Price, durability (lasts longer than your own skin)

Bottom Line:
I used to have this bike. Now I don't have it anymore, but I want it back. I've ridden many different bikes after I had the Fat ti, but still the FAt is my dream bike. How's that for review?

If you have one lying around, send me a mail. Myst be acceptable condition, but all offers will be considered! Medium please!