DeKerf Generation 1999 Frameset

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

DeKerf Generation 1999

Submitted by lunchbox1 a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, AB Canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    Tonnes of attention on the trail!People are drawn to the dekerf! stiff bike for pedling and climbing but suprisingly supple on the bumps given that it's a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    No concerns about the paint job as reported by other people. the frame isn't compatable with disc brakes apparently.

Bottom Line:
It is starting to creep me out the way people gaze longingly at me at the trail head! People love the deKerf. I didnt even know dekerf when I bought it used, but since then I've learned that it has a cult following! I ride my generation hardtail amongst friends who all ride squishy bikes, dropping stuff and ripping downhill singletrack. I'm amazed that this humble hardtail can keep up (albeit sometimes a bit bumpy). I will also buy an all mountain bike that can handle steeper bigger rides, but I will always keep the old Generation. Tough to part with. Great ride for a cross country rider who wants a sweet ride AND wants to own a piece of artwork.

Favorite Trail:   Cox Hill

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump Jumper Comp hardtail, Kona Lisa, Cannondale Prophet, Santa Cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   xtr, raceface cranks, stem, marzochi bomber shocks, xtr v-brakes,

Submitted by Jon Cooper a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    Looks - simple and yet elegant, feedback and that wonderful feeling of being one with the bike while on the move...great through the bars - light and keen to ride...

Weaknesses:    None I have found yet....

Bottom Line:
If you see one go for it....I had yearned for a Dekerf for c 10 years - nearly bought a soft tail but the paint reports put me off...and my road bike needed replacing...however these bikes are amazing ... sometimes they look almost plain in a beautiful way but it is not until you ride it you know you have found 'that ride you have been waiting for' ...

Gets lots of attention too...

Awesome - thanks Chris Dekerf!

Favorite Trail:   Stane Street to Box Hill

Purchased At:   ebay - absolute steal!

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Equipe, Rocky Mountain Vertex TO, Pace F8, Ellsworth Truth

Bike Setup:   King head set, Pace forks, XTR groupset, carbon bars

Submitted by Carsten a Weekend Warrior from Oslo

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, but comfortable. Steel - the one true metal. craftmanship that makes me weep with joy and pride of ownership EVERYTIME I look at it.

Weaknesses:    Chips easily in the paint. No caliper-hanger, have to use an A2Z when i go disc.

Bottom Line:
This will be MY bike 4evah. It has saved me from cardiac arrest twice, when work and lazyness troubled me. This will not be my only bike. But it will be the bike i want with me in my coffin. This is the last thing i part with if i had to sell my belongings. This is the thing I will take with my on 'Robinson' or in the falloutshelter... U can't by them anymore :-( I wish I could afford a couple more but... Buy it if U can get it.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   A friend with cross-atlantic connections

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kiluea, Woodoo Wanga, merida somthing. Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Race Face Aheadset,stem and seatpost. Mavic 317 on DT hubs laced with maxxis 2.40 ! (O yeah there is room) Judy, XTR V's and rear d. TRX shifter and Avid Ti brakehand. 1992 XTR cranks and c-brothers pedals

Submitted by Abe Oogerfart a Racer from Rocky Mountains

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    Handling, stability. 20+ years riding, 12 years racing, as good as my s-works, but different at the same time. Confidence insipiring.

Weaknesses:    cheaper 631 instead of 853, chain anti-suck device fell off, can't seem to get a replacement from builder.

Bottom Line:
if you can find one, buy it.

Similar Products Used:   s-works hardtail and softail, numerous cannondales, trek, bontrager, gunner, litespeed.

Bike Setup:   XT/SID

Submitted by Andrew Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Strengths:    A beauty. Very stiff (laterally), but still low weight for a CroMoly. Smooth ride. Rather racy geometry.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips off too easily.

Bottom Line:
It's about the 1996 DeKerf Generation frame, which I bought used (or better not used) a year ago. I still own the TREK and the Hot Chili Aluminium Hardtail, so I have the benefit of direct, multiple comparisions. Well, it is difficult to understand why good CroMoly frames have gone out of fashion to such a degree. This DeKerf is a smooth ride. It isn't exactly comfortable (as the rather flobby TREK OCLV is), but it gives just enough for a smooth ride (as the Aluminium frames never will have). The short steerer tube makes for an aggressive, racy geometry. This is a bike to fall in love with, no doubt. If you are as fed up with that modern fully muck as I, you can't go wrong with DeKerf. You will have fun riding that bike as you didn't have for a long time. And the paint job is done much better, now, as one hears.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Marin Indian fire Trail '96; Trek OCLV 9900 '98, Hot Chili Zymotic, Cycle Craft CPS 03

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Atom 80 '00, Shimano XT/Grip Shift Rocket, Mavic Ceramic rims

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Strengths:    Beautiful handcrafted steel frame with a lot of well thought out design features that differentiate it from others.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The best hardtail I have ever owned or ridden and I have owned several really high end bikes(see above). Handles all trail situations and conditions really well. The paint weakness that others have mentioned in their reviews is not an issue anymore as Dekerf has started painting their frames in-house as of last year. Just a completely awesome performer and looker!

Similar Products Used:   Have owned a lot of high end frames like Klein Attitude and Adroit, Merlin XLM, Bontrager Race and IF Deluxe.

Bike Setup:   All XTR with Marzocchi Z2 X-Fly.

Submitted by James a Cross-Country Rider from Sherman, TX

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Strengths:
Hand Built
Killer Paint
Smooth Geometry

Weaknesses:
Long Wait
Weak Paint

Bottom Line:
Wow, What a ride. That's what I said AFTER I finally got my frame!! It took EIGHT WEEKS for my frame to arrive. I did get two phone calls from Chris Dekerf himself to appologize for the long delay. Nice touch. I felt a sudden surge of confidence that I never had before on some pretty tight and twisty single track. Lines are easy to pick and take. The geometry is stable at high speed and nimble in the woods. The high quality steel feels very responsive and alive compared to the dead feel of my High Plains. Not surprising. I really like this frame.In some of the other reviews for the Team frames from Dekerf, you will see frequent mention of easily chipped paint. My experience has been no different. On the very first ride I chipped the rear chainstay and rubbed a hole in the paint on the head tube with the rear derailleur cable housing. I suggest you head directly for the auto parts store and get some touch up paint to prevent rust. I want to give this 5 burning chilies, but paint on a steel frame is more about function than form and this paint job, while beautiful, doesn't protect the way it should.

Erwin Park