Chuck CR FS Frameset

4.43/5 (37 Reviews)

Chuck CR FS

Submitted by 1surfer

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2012

Strengths:    Handling, climbing, quality. Great customer service. Looks great.

Weaknesses:    Not to many.
I will they still made them I would throw down for a new one in an instant !

Bottom Line:
I had frame #0. Daren replaced it because my double triple clamp forks hit the cable stays. He gave me frame #00.

Its April of 2012 and I'm still riding it and I still love it. Put a couple of new chains and rear sprockets on it as well as new tires but thats all.

My Chuck is still kicking ass.

I reviewed this bike on Feb 23 1998 and again on Aug 26 1998 and I still feel the same way.

Submitted by Eeny Bear a Weekend Warrior from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Strengths:    Great overall geometry, feels solid and stable in the steeps andd cclimbs as well as any freeride bike can be expected to.

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
Will anyone actually read this review? Bought in 1998. I still ride it often. Love it. I'm more of a roadie during the week now but was out again last weekend on the trails embarrassing myself on teeny little logs and stuff. One of the best freeride MTBs I've ridden. Solid and totally dependable. I have been using a Fox Float air shock lately (the RCR was crap - now they're called Romic, and I wonder if they're any better). Just bought a NOS Fox Vanilla RC shock and will try it out next weekend. 3 for value - even though I got a bit of a deal it's just a bike. In 1998 US$2000 was a lot of dough (retail) for a frame. Howevver, becuase it still rides like new after a gazillion miles I'llgive it 5 for value.

Favorite Trail:   anything with a bit o' challenge

Purchased At:   factory in 1998

Similar Products Used:   I've lost count

Bike Setup:   see earlier review from 1998 (8 years ago)- ignore wild unbridled enthusiasm as I've calmed down since then :)

Submitted by Gregg Howard a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Niguel

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Strengths:    Great looks with the red paint job. Rides like a Cadilac. Extremely plush. Heavy by today's standards but very comfortable on the trail

Weaknesses:    Seat tube creak. Even had it repaired, but developed another small creak. Very poor design for holding the seat post.

Bottom Line:
I replaced the Chuck several years ago with a Santa Cruz Blur. Much lighter and more responsive. But, recently decided to rebuild the Chuck with a 5" Fox fork and make it a free ride bike. It's like riding in a Cadilac...not particularly quick or responsive but oh so comfortable. I could add a pro-peddal valve to the rear Fox shock if I really wanted to reduce the bob while climbing. With 2.5 Weirwolf on front, it's really a fun bike to ride... makes me appreciate the climbing ability of the Blur... and always great to look at! Too bad the company doesn't exist anymore as it was a benchmark bike in its day and still turns heads.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Nelson

Purchased At:   From Darrin

Bike Setup:   Blur, all XTR

Submitted by RON S. a Cross Country Rider from SALT LAKE

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2004

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    MANY BUT FOR STARTERS TERRIBLE DESIGN CREAKS CONSTANTLY!! SMALL CRACK IN WELDS AND IM NOT ABUSIVE. UNABLE TO REPLACE NO LONGER IN BUISNESS PAINT JOB WEAK AND PRONE TO STONE CHIPS.......RIDES LIKE A HARDTAIL

Bottom Line:
WOULD NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE. AT THE TIME WAS DIFFERENT AND MADE IN THE U.S. BUT WAS NEVER R&D ENOUGH TO AND SHOULD HAVE NEVER RELEASED TO PRODUCTION AND BELIEVE THATS THE REASON THEY NO LONGER EXSIST.

Bike Setup:   ALL UPGRADED

Submitted by michael posluszny a Weekend Warrior from san francisco

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    Good design nice looking handles well

Weaknesses:    First Daron is saleing Chuck.And is going to sale RCR shocks full out.Which I had to return my first one because of hissing sound.Very poor service from them at least they replaced it but took many phone calls to get the part sent. Had the bike over 1 year and 1/2.Had to frame replaced for because seat post tube broke loose.They only 2 welds to hold it in place I was told.I now need the rear piece that holds the brakes and Rear derailer replaced because of a crack.I have called daren 6 times over 2 months to get my part he does not return my calls.But when he wanted to sale it to me he diffenitly called me back.The bike is very hard to keep clean and waxed to many groves and crannies.When 2nd frame sent to me was missing parts.I still havn't got you would think when you pay $2000 for a frame they would have better quality control. The first frame had bumps in the paint job.This was also verified from the bike dealer.They said they they had a problem with the frames paint jobs.All the ones I looked at were full of these bumbs.I have had a creaking noise on both frames which I am not sure of but I think is from the seat post moving.Daren said to replace it with a longer saet post which I did it helped a little but still have noise when I am sitting on seat with wieght more towards the front and torqueing hard.Daren said that I could ship the bike to him and he would look at it.But when they replaced my frame it took over a month to get my bike back.And I am sure this would not have my bike for 2 months.There is a life time gaurantee on chuck frames which is good but if it is not in bussiness any longer or the new owner does not honor the gaurantee you are screwed.I like the frame bot afraid I am going to end up with a bike that breaks alot and no one to fix it unless I pay huge bucks at this point I wish I would have bought from a company like intense or anybody who might be in bussineess tomorrow>this was supose to be my dream bike but has become a big disapointment because of the frame It looks good and handles well.I got complements on it all the time when they do I tell them all the problems I have had with the frame and service i Also tell them the good but when I spent 2000 on aframe I expected Rolls Royce quality not Gm during the 70s.It was a good idea but not the expertise of a large company.

Bottom Line:
I can't say if I would do it again because in all fairness I like the look and the way it handles.But the quality is a joke.I have been biking for over 36 years and have many frames and bikes did not have problems with fromes breaking except on one which I was a bike messenger on for 4 years caring up 50 pounds extra wieight mant times I had the frame for over 6 years before it cracked by going of a curb.It did not have any suspension it was a road bike.I have not had noise problems that I could not fix or figure out like the Chuck CRFS and people we are paying $2000 for this the bike I had for years a a bike messenger I paid $400 total this bike cost me $5000 to $ 6000 was suppose to be a dream and is a big disapointment.And it may get worse as time goes on with no company behind it.Very disapointed in San francisco

Favorite Trail:   Golden Gate Bridge

Similar Products Used:   See other reveiws this section

Bike Setup:   See other reviews this section

Submitted by Phil a Downhiller from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1999

Strengths:
Killer design, plush ride, fast descender, big air friendly, custom frame sizes at no extra charge

Weaknesses:
Non...design wise...

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet bike and I cannot wait to own one.. .I ordered a frame Four months ago and have yet to receive it and every week they tell me... oh, it'll be out the end of the week... promise... bull... I have no bike after a more than resonable time...that is what happens I guess when a bunch of stoner moutaninbikers try to start a company...

Tsali (GA)

tested or demo'ed only

All FS frames...

Marzocchi Z1BAM, CaneCreek rims, aheadset and seat, LP Composite bar and post, Azonic stem...XT thruout

Submitted by Leigh Prall a Cross-Country Rider from Dennis Ma

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1999

Strengths:
killer linkage, wonderful welds,strong headtube

Weaknesses:
paint

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks, uphill and downhill. Bike loves big air. You live once, why noy ride the frame you only read about.

fast singletrack

6 months

work at a shop so i,ve demo'd everything

xtr, chris king, tompson, kore, the good old 217's, zuke z-1

Submitted by Jae a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, Va

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Strengths:
monicoque frame Rigidity
plush rear suspension (high leverage)
Horst link rear linkage design
vibrant paint color

Weaknesses:
fragile paint finish

Bottom Line:
All around single track bike that loves to fly downhill at any given chance.Pedaling up long fireroads is not its favorite thing. However it handles short technical climbs well. The Horst link suspension does not interrupt pedaling over obstacles in any gear. But it does compress the susepension under pedaling. Upgrading to T2 helps to manage the rear end over choppy breaking bumps but doesn't improve the fireroad climbing significantly. It probably has to do with T2's inability to immobilize the suspension like Fox units. The pivots have been maintanence free so far. The bottom line is it's a great mountain bike. It is the bike of the choice for me over the hardtail I have even if it means that I would be lagging behind fireroad races. Well.... The lack of future support concernes me at this time....

potapsco

1 Year

99Specialized FSR Elite

Manitou Xvert-R, full XTR set, Hayes hydrolic brakes. WTB saddle. Kore, King

Submitted by Vaughn Smith a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
Still a marvelous machine. Have upgraded to the T2 on the rearend, which has really made the Chuck a more versatile bike. It now dampens with both rebound and compression to quiet down those fireroad climbs. Hard, out of saddle efforts are noticeably improved. I now have the sensation that I am moving forward as opposed to up and down. In my eyes, this change in ride characteristic moves the bike from a descending champ only into just a great all around trail bike. Like any FS bike, it takes a bit more maintenance, which I enjoy anyway down in my little cave. I've taken the swingarm apart once. Most of the bearings were worn into a limited travel range after about 4 months of riding. I opened and greased 'em all, then switched them to different sites. One of the things that drove me toward this bike was the bearing pivots. Well, maybe this is not the correct application for bearings. Titus and Ellsworth arguments for bushing pivots seems slightly more valid at this point. This does not lessen my happiness with the Chuck, it's just something to deal with.Finally, I am worried about the fact that Darren Murphy and his Chuck enterprise has disappeared. I hear that he will be getting re-geared at a new SoCal locale and coming out with several new bike designs. Definitely good news, but it seems way to often a good effort like his just goes under when it hits a major bump. No matter how good my $2000 frame investment, I would not have even considered purchasing a Chuck if I knew his company was going to go under within a few short months. Nothing is bulletproof, no Full Suspension bike is a ride and forget it thing. Product support is a big deal. If I don't get that in return for my investment in any product, not just this bike, then kiss product loyalty goodbye. I'll be down the road and wiser for it.I sincerely hope for Darren that Chuck will go on producing great bikes. If he does, then I would support him and lean toward a CRFSXC for my wife...and again I'd be lobbying friends to consider this beauty. If not, then I won't waste my breathe telling other potential buyers how great it is.Still a great, great bike. Despite the rant, a 5 star ride.

South Fork

Submitted by vaughn smith a Weekend Warrior from denver, co

Date Reviewed: July 17, 1999

Strengths:
Fabulous handling in singletrack. I can climb technical sections again with the forgiving and gripping rearend. Great rear suspension with the RCR T-1, soon to be T-2. Guaranteed traction when braking in stutter bumps. Unique, sleek.

Weaknesses:
Not a gazelle on the climbs, but also not a pig. 28lbs +/-. Must be disciplined to just spin the legs or it will pogo. Prolonged out of saddle efforts on climbs is often an exercise in wasted motion. Red paint is easy to chip. The monocque frame does slightly accentuate trail noise, although nothing like the Trek Y's or even megatube cannondales.

Bottom Line:
Almost 4 months out, this bike would still be my first choice. I'm out every weekend (or more) looking for that holy grail of singeltrack, and this bike excels in that area. The cockpit is perfectly stretched with a 120mm 5 degree stem. So I can ride all day without getting a sore back. My arms aren't wandering all over looking for a comfortable place to rest on long climbs. The walking beam linkage is quite supple. Seated climbs in rough terrain are a breeze, but you can see the swingarm continually activated on smooth fireroad and pavement. Tightening up the spring and the dampening help minimize this somewhat.A couple weeks ago I got to ride a Boulder starship and this one side by side on the Bunker Creek Trail in Brian Head. The Boulder with it's monostay low pivot rear swingarm was still the best for aggressive uphill efforts. The semi stichtiony rear Risse Air/Oil was a sharp contrast to the Walking beam horst linkage on the Chuck. The Chuck will ride like a cadillac up anything, it just won't get there in a big hurry. I didn't feel like racing anybody up the hills. Downhills are another story, which just makes me gush. In singletrack it is very agile. With the supple suspension, I have the luxury of blowing through rocks, logs,... my two dogs, even if I shouldn't. Downhill it just blows the beautiful, but fragile, Boulder away. The rearend is so active with that T-1 it gives continual traction feedback. It will not lockup and slip and slide like the Boulder did. I can go into hard corners much hotter with still more control now. A nice feeling. The front end is decent. The White Bros doesn't match the rearend for suppleness, which is probably a blessing since it doesn't bob at slow speeds. The Z1 which I'm considering for much later, would probably make me much happier downhill, but would really crimp on the climbs. I backed out the dampening almost all the way. The 90mm is adequate travel. The flexion is minimal.

South Fork, Miltonfreewater Oregon

3 months

Boulder Starship X 3 years, Trek Y33, and Ellsworth Truth.

I'm 5'10, 185lbs. Short legs, long torso.
Red Medium CRFS with an RCR T-1 rear shock. A 700lb spring was way too light, the current 800lber is perfect.
White Bros SC90 on the front with medium springs and standard cartridge. The rest is a race face riser bar, Syncros stem, seatpost, and XTR controls and drivetrain

Submitted by michael a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco Ca.

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Strengths:
Update to5/28/99 Chuck replaced my frame with a new one.They modified the frame so that the front cable guides do not hit the triple clamp fork however it still hits the frame. But I am not sure this would not happen on other frames.The new shock looks like a better shock.At least all the bike magazines are talking about it and it a cool red.Its an RCR scock. The paint job is better than last in that I have seen any little bumps.

Weaknesses:
See 5/28/99 Have noise sounds like coming from rear schock assembly put white grease on it.Had similar on last frame fixed it but had to return frame before long range testing.

Bottom Line:
See 9/12/98 & 5/28/99 I think it is a frame good all tough expensive. Like most new prodoucts they are still working out bugs.Daren Murphy I think trys to give good service and product.Even though they made me wait 2 weeks and I didn't know I was getting a new frame until I picked up my bike even though I talk to Bernie hours before shipping.But at least he sent it Overnight delivery

Golden Gate Bridge

ee 5/28/99

Manitou X-vert Triple clamp

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 28, 1999

Strengths:
An incredibly beautiful frame, immaculate welds that make the monocoqque frame all that more nice. The setup is extremely plush. Its sealed cartridge bearings are maintenance free and incredibly smooth. Removal of the shock really showed how nice the frames suspension is as the tolerances are so fine that I have never yet encountered another FS bike with as nice a suspension setup. It also has a reasonable weight, only 6.5lbs, and given the inherent strength of the frame is and excellent weight. I can not stress how beautiful the craftsmanship on this frame is. Finally the walking-beam 4-bar linkage rear suspension is excellent. I have noticed very little if no bobing while climbing, and yes, you can climb with a Chuck CR FS, it is extremely plush on the downhill and given its geometry is right at home on the tight signletrack.

Weaknesses:
The paint is scratched or scuffed to easily.

Bottom Line:
I originally had my previous bike, a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro HT (with some nice Arch Supreme's and other nifty after-market upgrades), stolen. Fortunately it was fully insured and so I began my quest for a new ride. I decided long ago that my next ride would be a FS bike so began focusing on the usual mass-produced bikes (Specialized, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, etc...). But my friend had found an old BIKE magazine and they had done a review of the Chuck CR-FS frame. I was immediately reminded of when I first saw a picture of the Chuck frame built up for a review in some other magazine. Unfortunately the only thing that kept me from actually considering the bike was its price...$2000US. That is a lot of money and with the Canadian exchange rate it would end up costing in upwards of $3400CAN. Yikes. Nonetheless I couldn't get the idea of owning this frame out of my head.In steps MTBR. While visiting the Techtalk section someone had asked a question about the Chuck CR-FS and one of the responses caught my eye. I e-mailed the poster and suddenly became intriugued. I believe I was asking how the 5 Z1 worked with his Chuck sincer it was designed for use with a 4 travel fork. In his response, which said he liked the set-up, he also mentioned that he might be able to help me get a Chuck frame for a somewhat cheaper price. This began my relationship with the gentleman who ended up being Ian from the StockLogic Group, the Canadian retailler of Chuck frames in Canada. I know this is a review of the frame, but I have to take a moment to give thanks for all the help from Ian at SLG as we played a lot of e-mail tag, half of it before he even knew if I'd commit to a purchase, and he was always very curtieous and helpful. Plus SLG offers their Exchange-Buster prices which for Candians can effectively save you over $500 on your frame. In anyevent, after answering many of my questions and getting a few price quotes I got word from Ian that Darren Murphy, CEO of Chuck Bicycles,had declared effective that day that no Chuck CR-FS frame can be sold for less then the MSP of $2000US. However, since Ian had offered me a much lower price before this annoucement that if I sent $2750CAN (which includes all taxes, shipping, and additional costs) within 2 days they would honour that price quote. Well it took me about an hour to get to the post office because for that price this frame was a bargain. Ian had my Money Order within 24 hours and the wait began.I had requested my frame in blue instead of the usual Ferrari red and in Medium (once again with the help of Ian). I then finally got a chance to talk to Ian when we talked one evening when I was looking for some specs to help me and my LBS order the correct parts (BB spindle length and the low-down on the whole E-type F. Derailleur information). A few weeks later I put the order for the parts in to my LBS. 6 weeks after I placed my order my frame arrived (not too worry potential Chuck owners, my frame took a much longer time to ship because when Darren heard I would be using Hope Disc brakes he pulled my frame of the shippment that was going out and attached a disk brake cable guide on the rear chainstay. Nice! For my wait I got a free Chuck jersey with my frame though). The frame was so beautiful I fondled it for hours. I removed the shock and was floored. The rear linkages moved so smoothly on the sealed cartridge bearings I couldn't believe it. It was soooo shiney and the fact that the entire frame, both the front and rear triangle are monoqque makes all that more unique.Well I took the frame to the shop and it was built a few weeks later once the disc's arrived and the correct Raceface BB and DH cup arrived for use with the E-type front derailleur. The frame looked even more beautiful once built up into a real bike and once I got the brakes set-up and made the proper adjustments (pedal tension, shifters and such...) I took it out on its maiden voyage. PLUSH! Only word that will work. The bike does not bob at all when doing normal riding but it responds to even small bumps on the road. I find I can climb better on my Chuck then on my old HT, which is likely due to the increase traction you can get with a FS bike. It is great for bombing down the odd downhill and just feels so satble and sturdy. I could feel the bikes craftsmanship in the ride.The nice things I noticed on the trail; the geometry, even with a 5 travel fork, is ideal for tight singletrack riding as tight, sharp turning is a breeze with this frame. The rear suspension just plain works. It never makes a sound as it just does its thing and sucks up evey root and drop-off I throw at it. Finally, when in doubt, do not worry, the Chuck CR-FS will ALWAYS outride you so even in the hairiest of situations just point it in the best direction, get your centre of gravity set and let her go. The frame is excellent, and extremely functional, and the fact that it looks so nice is a beautiful bonus.The bottom line in this post may have been a touch long but it had to be as even my verbosness can not adequately express how complete and udderly satisfied I am with my Chuck CR-FS and in hindsight I would pay $2000US for this frame if I had to do it again because while I got it on sale it is worth every penny for it. This rame and suspension design is so good I can not even consider riding another FS design at the moment. I hope one day everyone will be as happy with their bike as I am. Happy Trails,
Chris

Root Down, Roller Coaster, Endor Village 2000, 7 words, and 400 bucks

3 months

Santa Cruz Heckler, Specialized FSR, GT STS 1, Kona Stab DeeLux, Rocky Mountain Pipeline

'99 Chuch CR FS frame (blue) w/ Fox Vanilla Rx rear shock
'99 Marzocchi Z1 BAM (polished)
'99 Hope Pro disc brakes
Raceface Air Alloy Riser bar
Raceface SYStem (white)
Yeti Speed Grips (black)
Chris King HS (black)
Raceface XY0 post (black)
Titec Beserkr KTi DH saddle (black)
Raceface Taperlock steel BB w/ RF DH cup
Raceface Turbine LP cranks (white)
Raceface 9-spd. Race rings - 24-34-46 (black)
Shimano M545 pedals (polished)
XT cassette 11-32
XTR 9-spd. RF shifters
XTR E-type F. Derailler
XTR 9-spd. R. Derailler
Rolhoff 99 chain
Hope BULB hubs (black)
Mavic D521 CD rims (grey)
DT Swiss DB spokes w/ brass nipples, 3X pattern
axle/seatpost bolts
Tioga Factory DH 2.3 (F) and WTB Desertraptor 47/54 (R) tires

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco Ca.

Date Reviewed: May 28, 1999

Strengths:
I have had my chuck sevaral months now see first review 9/12/98. It still Handles very well is light and looks good.

Weaknesses:
First weakness is if you use a Triple Clamp fork cant turn handle bars clockwise and counter clockwise as far as you can on most bikes.When you turn them they hit the front cable holders.Which is a problem when you fall and the handle bars turn and push into the frame or cable holder it bends in the frame.It happened to me.Next is the welding of the frame.I had to send my frame back to chuck because the seat post down tube welding broke.I have heard from several sources that this has happened before several times before.Chuck takes 2 weeks to fix plus the time for you or bike shop to strip off all the parts and travel time.So far I have been without my bike for 3 weeks now going on 4. I am not not sure that it will not happen again.This is making me lose faith in the product.You would hope when you spend $2000 for a frame that you would not have these kind of problems.Lastly When Climbing steep hill the rear tire slips easily and when I shift my wieght to compensate It makes me feel uneasy And the bike feels like tire might slip causing me to loose control.Having second thoughts Maybe should have gone with proven frame like Turner Rather then A frame that is still reletively knew and unproven.

Bottom Line:
Dont know if I would do it again.I like to have a product under me the I wont feel will fall apart I was very carful and gentle with it whats going to happen when I start to punish it?Will it fall apart? On a downhill bike you should not have to worry about the frame falling apart.For $2000 I dont feel I should have to worry about my bike falling apart and causing possible injury and maybe even death.Or having to be without my bike for sevaral weeks.Loosing faith fast!

Golden Gate Bridge

Trek Turner Intense Gary Fisher

See review 9/12/98

Submitted by RatherBeRiding a Cross-Country Rider from Whitby, Ontario

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1999

Strengths:
Strong! frame
Good sizing for larger riders

Weaknesses:
Paint is a bit easy to chip

Bottom Line:
Have only ridden this a month so far.I bought this frame because my research led me to believe that the 4-bar linkage suspension design (walking beam to be specific) would perform better than most other bikes, and it hasn't let me down. Its a great investment.Thanks to Ian at StockLogic (www.stocklogic.com) for a price that can't be beat, and really superb support after the sale. Ian has bent over backwards to support me while I got this bike assembled, which I did myself from handpicked components. Components from Brett at Kalo - service has also been great.The frame is a work of art, and so far indestructible. I'm at the large end of the scale (6'6 and 240 lbs.) and I consider the frame to be an investment, I think most lesser frames would eventually fail me but I have no doubts about the Chuck. In fact I find the frame so strong that it enables me to transmit so much power to the rear wheel that I've already blown out a cheap, old, heavy pair of wheels doing mostly road riding - thus the Cane Creek's that I currently have on order with Brett. I expect that proper wheels will make a world of difference.The handling is great. It climbs better than my hardtail, the suspension glues to rear wheel to the ground. Short, technical hills where I would get caught up in a hole, I can now just power through. The front end is very responsive, I find I can throw it around the trail laterally when I need to, for instance on a twisting climb or when exiting a tight corner. Good balance of front to rear, keeping the front end down when climbing has not been a problem like it was on my old bike.Descending is, of course, not an issue. Just point and go.The suspension can be a bit of a challenge to get set up right. I currently ride with about 6 turns of preload and 8 turns of rebound damping. I find that it is about right for general trail riding but still too active for me on long climbs, especialy in soft stuff. But I'm pretty sure that my front shock, a Z3 LT with heavy springs and 10 weight oil, is still too soft, and causing the rear end bobbing. I think heavier oil will do the trick, and in addition the new Chucks ship with the RCR-T2 shock with adjustable compression and rebound. All in all its a great frame.I'll give you an update when I get proper wheels and get my suspension set up properly.

less than 1 month

Time ATAC Aliums
Cane Creek WAM's enroute to me now

Submitted by Dave Macki a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa, Ont

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1999

Strengths:
- beautiful craftmanship
- excellent design and superb handling

Weaknesses:
- none so far though its only been a month of riding

Bottom Line:
I have only used this bike for a month now but I thought that I would give my general impressions and then follow up a year from now. Also I have yet to take it on the trails but I know some pretty gnarly city riding places so I think that I got a pretty good feel for the bike.For starters I weigh 185lbs and I am about 5'11'. I use to ride a Kona Sex Too but the suspension characteristics were kinda wierd (especially in high speed G outs) and the bushings were crap. I started to look for a new frame and Brett at Kalo convinced me to go with the Chuck (I am glad he did!)I was thinking of a way of describing how good the bike fees and the only way I could think of is comparing it to when I was growing learning to play guitar. As always I had to start out on a crappy guitar bought at some pawn shop but as I progressed I would step up the guitar hierarchy. Each new twanger would push my playing skills to new limits - fresh feel would give me new ideas and ablitities until you find the ultimate where there is not much else out there that can match the feel or sound. This is basically how I feel about the Chuck. My riding has improved over the short course of a month and the bike feels so natural to ride. It was kinda wierd buying the frame as the I could not test ride it in Canada before I got so I had to take a chance. The dimensions fit me nicely - I do not feel to cramped nor overly extended. The suspension charactersistics are really nice, much smoother and less progressive then the Kona. My one small complaint is the erratic customer service at Chuck. I have sent some emails that go unresponded and then some come back at me within an hour. I have also tried to get a warranty card/owners manual/ rear der hanger sent to me for the last three months and I have yet to receive them, though I was told twice (on the phone) that they would be sent out that day. Don't get me wrong I realize that Darren is basically a one man show and perhaps there were personal problems as he has stated before. When I do talk to him on the phone or through email is very nice and answers all my stupid questions. It just nice to get some consistency in the response to the customer needsAll in all the is an awesome bike - highly recommended to anyone looking for all around FS bike.

North shore (if only I lived there!)

- Kona Sex Too
- Kona Stinky
- Trek Y bike
- Rocky Pipeline

- Z1 with firm springs
- King headset + Raceface stem and riser
- Sun Rhyno lites on Hugi (front) and King (rear)
- Raceface cranks/rings + damage control (no large ring) + '98 9.0 ESP shifting system
- Magura Johnny T's
- Corerat Pads

Chuck CR-FS

I was tring to get hold of one of these frames, produced from 98 to 01 (I think). I am interested to know the opinions of anyone who has owned on of these bike... how does it ride... how does it compare to more modern equivalents... etc Also if anyone has any magazine reviews or brochures from b ... Read More »