Castellano Fango Frameset

• 1.25 inches of pivotless, progressive rear wheel travel
  • Only 4.4 pounds for frame with the rear shock. Same as the titanium version!
  • Heat-treated and custom extruded 6069 aluminum chainstay
  • Custom-butted and heat-treated 6061 aluminum front triangle
  • Castellano low maintenance and easily adjustable Critically Damped Elastomer rear shock
  • Reliable and plush two-stage travel
  • Now available in luscious Fango Blue

The Fango's predecessor, from designer John Castellano, is the Ibis Ripley.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by rob_co2 a Racer from Hammond, LA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Fast. Super responsive feel. Climbs and accelerates like a HT. Descends great. Maintenance free. Unique.

Weaknesses:    a little heavier than most HTs. The standover height is on the high side.

Bottom Line:
    The rear triangle of the bike is so much stiffer than my old FS bike, when the rear wheel starts to slip I can feel it and correct it with precision.

When I stand up and mash on the pedals it really goes- just like a HT, but the suspension is just enough to keep the rear wheel tracking, and its nice on the joints too.

For me, its the perfect intermediate between FS and HT. So glad I made this purchase!

Purchased At:   mtbr classifides

Similar Products Used:   GF Sugar 1, GF Sugar Race, GF paragon, GT avalanche

Submitted by brokepost a Cross Country Rider from georgia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2008

Strengths:    i love this bike, bike is light and very comfortable. i can't believe that these bikes are no longer made (ti version only), they should be selling like hotcakes.

Weaknesses:    none really, don't expect it to ride like 4 or 5 inch suspension bike, but it does take the edge off.

Bottom Line:
    i wish Mr. castellano would continue to make the aluminum version of this bike. the ti version is a little out of my reach, as it is for a lot of folks i'd imagine.
    i found this bike on ebay.. so if your interested be patient and try there.
    if you're looking for a fast bike that won't beat you up try one of these

Favorite Trail:   pinhotti

Bike Setup:   xt shifters, v-brakes. in the process of upgrading to disc brakes

Submitted by Cycledelic a Cross Country Rider from Marin County, CA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Strengths:    just-right geometry, light, beautiful frame, working design

Weaknesses:    only a caution: the elastomer shock has to be tweaked to the rider's weight for best performance. Done easily enough with a BB tool. It also has to break in a little, meaning you may need to back it out for a few rides before it breaks in.

Bottom Line:
    After years on a hardtail, I thought I wanted a little more cush, so I started checking out FS rigs - all felt uncomfortable or unresponsive compared to my old, stolen ride.

Gravy Wheels, my LBS, suggested I try out the Fango: it felt like a good hardtail, just with a mite of comfort worked into the rear. It looked really sharp with the jetplane chainstays, breezer dropouts and funky rubber elastomer. And, what's most important, the geometry felt better than any of the other dozen bikes I tested.

Sold. But Castellano suggested an even smaller frame for me than the demo I tried... a 15" frame for a 5'8" rider? I was uncertain but trusting when I received the build.

Once I took it out for a spin, I was blown away. Even on the Fisher HT I rolled for six years, I didn't have the same mind/machine connection I instantly earned with this bike.

The Fango improved my climbing, downhill and technical ability from ride 1, and now with three months and 700 miles on the dirt, I can't be happier. This bike is FAST and like a laser through the tight and twisty.

Bonus points for great availability and advice from John Castellano and Gravy Wheels.

Purchased At:   Gravy Wheels

Similar Products Used:   demo'ed various higher-end XC-specific FS models from Gary Fisher, Giant, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Yeti and Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   Castellano Fango, RockShox Reba Race fork, full XT disc gruppo, Mavic 321 tubless rims, Hutchinson Python tires, occasional bell and party streamers

Submitted by Scot a Racer from Westchester, New York

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent concept in functionabily and reliability

Bottom Line:
    I Have owned and raced XC and several 24 Hour events on my Silk Ti for aproximately 1 1/2 years, and have found the Castellano Design to be flawless. I also have ridden the defunct Ibis's version called the Ripley and although I personally prefer the titanium frameset, I found that you can't beat the best bang for your buck when looking to purchase a XC frame. Don't be fooled by all those crazy suspension concepts that get over marketed and never deliver. This is a 4.4 lb suspension frameset that is maintenance free and has carried my 190 lb body through some of the rawest XC racing the East Coast can deliver.

Favorite Trail:   Canaan, West Virginia

Similar Products Used:   2001 IBIS SILK Ti

Bike Setup:   Full XTR W/Hope Mini Disc Brakes

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Atlanta, Ga

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Strengths:    Awesome ride. extremely high quality welds/paint job etc. Killer retro looking declas. Ive ridden this bike in multiple races in the past 3 months, including a solo 12 hour and ive been extremely impressed with the Fango. The 12 hour race was actually the first ride i had on it and i was surpised by how much better it rode than my litespeed. The suspension really takes the edge off rocks/roots etc. without taking away from the handling of the bike. It climbs like a champ and handles extremely well on everything ive ridden it on thus far. Great customer service/support thus far from David and John. keep up the great work.

Weaknesses:    head tube was about 1.5" longer than on my litespeed so i had to buy a new fork. not really a weakness i suppose but it make for a hectic day-before-the-race build. I dig the blue color, but some may not, so more color options would be a plus i suppose.

Bottom Line:
    highly recommend the Fango for anyone out there; racers weekend wrriors whatever. It rides like a dream and smooths out the trail, all while being priced extremely reasonably, leaving you some cahs to spend on decent parts. call these guys right now and get one for yourself.

Purchased At:   Castellano

Similar Products Used:   no softtails. 2001 Litespeed Toccoa, '99 Trek 8900, Salsa Ala Carte, Surly 1x1, Surly Instigator

Bike Setup:   full XTR, Sun Ringle' RPM wheels, Fox Folat 100 fork... blah blah blah

Submitted by Daniel VanDurmen a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK. USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    Light, smooth, quiet, lateraly stiff, and great paint job. All welds and threads perfect. Seat post slides flawlessly up and down.

Weaknesses:    Castellano logo could be better looking. At least it's not as ugly as Ellsworth's.

Bottom Line:
    Even better that I could have ever hoped for. I've been riding hardtails with suspension seatposts, steel and aluminum, for over ten years now. I looked at several full suspension linkage bikes before deciding on the Fango. It felt completely natural after just a few minutes! Your never aware of the suspension moving. It just disappears underneath you. While the rear end soaks up bumps better than 1 1/4" should, it doesn't flex side to side at all. The engineering that went into this thing is amazing. Push it into a stuttery corner followed by a steep climb and it hugs to the ground like a magnet to steel. I've been riding almost every trail in a gear higher than before. One of the bike mags last year said that softtails were dumb. I think this was one of the smartest purchases I've ever made.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain Park

Purchased At:   Cambria Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Balance XR650, Diamond Back Vertex TA, Schwinn Homegrown Factory. (all hardtails)

Bike Setup:   Manitou Elite, XTR shift/brake, WTB seat, American Classic post, XT deraileurs, LX crankset, Mavic Crossmax XL wheelset, Easton carbon bar, IRC Notos tires, and Cane Creek headset.

Submitted by Marcus a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    This bike has it all--strength, responsiveness and a plush ride. The first words out of anyone who rides the bike are "how did he make it so nimble?". (Also good on the computrainer for winter riding)

Weaknesses:    Castellano could shorten his name.

Bottom Line:
    If you are riding XC and want great, NIMBLE handling for long rides without the weight and extra metal of a Dual Suspension....Get a Castellano.

If you are planning 5+ foot table top drops...consider another bike.

I've tried a lot of different bikes. I have ridden 10 states and 5 provinces. I will never go back to single/front suspension...but for as long as I am riding XC I will ride Castellano.

Favorite Trail:   fruita

Similar Products Used:   Kona king kikapu, specialized stumpjumper M2, cannondale lefty many others.

Bike Setup:   race face, shimano XT, marzocchi bomber, easton

Submitted by Edward a Racer from , GA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Strengths:    Unique design, better performance that other soft tails at a much lower price.

Weaknesses:    None - unless you don't like the current Fango Blue.

Bottom Line:
    Fantastic ride, great climbing with short travel rear end and much faster descents than my hardtail Fat Ti. It provides just enough rear suspension to be very functional in cross country racing and riding. It is a great compliment to the damping of my 80 mm Marathon fork. Silk Ti's 1.75 inches might be better, but compare this bike to the price of other soft tails and the choice is clear. It will impress if you are a hard tail rider and surprise you if you ride a cross country full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   rich mtn.