Boulder Defiant A-S Frameset

• 3" Rear wheel travel
  • Standard duty air/oil rear shock available
  • Double-butted 4130 CRMO Steel

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Arcadia

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    Simple design, elevated rear triangle

Weaknesses:    Top tube is very flexy and rear shock blew up all the time

Bottom Line:
    Was a dealer for Boulder Bikes and had Rich Williams custom make me a Defiant. Had it custom painted blood red and black, waited over 6 months before the frame arrived. When I went to build it up I found the head tube was bashed in before it was painted making it impossible to install a headset. Called Rich Willams and informed him of the issue and his response was to face it down. I told him I couldn't face it down because it would go all the way down to the top tube. He wasn't happy about being contacted and I told him I wanted a new frame, because this one was hosed. He said to send it back, which I did. 4 months later a box arrived and I opened it. Found the original frame in the box and Rich had faced the hell out of the head tube all the way down to the top tube and a headset had been pressed in. I called him and he wouldn't listen. I went ahead and built up the bike and rode it once. First ride I blew the rear shock and I contacted Risse and sent the shock to them. Received the shock 3 weeks later, installed the shock again and blew it up on the second ride. Returned the shock to Risse and 3 weeks later I received it back. Installed it the third time and blew it again. Stripped the bike to bare frame and sold it as is for $300. Not bad, from the time I ordered it to the time I sold it was nearly a year and I rode it three times. Rich Williams is a joke of a bike builder and he won't stand behind his building or bikes. Don't ever buy a bike from him. Rich I hope you remember me, because I was one of your largest dealers in the Country.

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Bike Setup:   Syncros ti seatpost, avid, shimano xtr syncros cranks, white industries, etc....

Submitted by Boulder Pilot a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, time proven suspension design.

Weaknesses:    I have experienced no weaknesses with this product.

Bottom Line:
    When I had this bike set-up for racing,it weighed 24lbs.My trailbike,a Heckler, was stolen,so I have my Boulder set-up for trailriding.This bike works for ME very well.The rear end is rock solid,no slop.The suspension is a high single pivot,chain tension eliminates bobbing,and chainline growth is not an issue.Geometry combined with my cockpit set-up allows me to climb easily,then blast downhill.This bike is not a point and shoot,rollover everything bike.You pick your line,use your bike handling skills,get off the brakes,and have a BLAST.Rich Williams,designer/builder,is an incredibly talented enginneer and very underrated.The one to one customer service that I have experienced with him has always been outstanding.

Favorite Trail:   Secret