BombShell Mindbomb Frameset

4.81/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 11 lbs. MSRP : $1199.00

• Need a hand-crafted, bomb-proof 8" DH rig that can take the beating of raceday and everyday? The Mindbomb not only takes it, but does it with style. Built from 7005 aluminum, the Mindbomb features a forged headtube, upper and lower yoke, bottom bracket and lower pivot. With its' CNC'd rocker, sealed bearing pivots, four-bar linkage, adjustable headtube angle and horizontal dropouts, the mindbomb is hard to beat! I haven't even told you how much it is, look below, but first make sure there is someone around to catch you when you pass out! Mindbomb:strength, function, looks and price. It will blow your mind!
  • Red , Black, White & Yellow

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Brendon a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2014

Strengths:    Strong as heck, Plush ride ( providing the maintenance is kept up on the roco wc rear shock ). CHEEP

Weaknesses:    i guess some might say its a bit heavy ?

Bottom Line:
    I brought this a year ago second hand that had only been used on the road by the looks of it, straight away hit the downhill trials and couldn't believe how despite the way to heavy spring in the rear and the non adjusted shocks how well it handled. it takes an absolute hiding and comes back for more. since putting a 450 spring and tuning/servicing the shocks it its just buttery goodness.
    It came with a hammerschmit crank on it and i have always been skeptical of these but from this day on every down hill bike i own will have one

Favorite Trail:   Rotorua NZ corners / national

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   TRADEME :D

Bike Setup:   Totem forks, roco wc rear, wtb double wall rims, xt deore rear set, shimano zee brakes ( had hayes 9's )

Submitted by Sam a Downhiller from WV

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Strengths:    tough, strong, durable....

Weaknesses:    rear brake mount moves a little with just the one bolt holding it together. Once it moves, it caused the rear wheel to become a bit unaligned.

Bottom Line:
    This is an update from my previous review. I have now owned the bike for five more months, and well, I am still impressed with every ride. This thing flies down the hill. I have gone faster over roots and rock gardens than I ever thought I could, and the frame sucks up 7 - 8 foot drops to flat like nothing. This bike took me from weekend warior to downhiller in notime flat. The frame becomes much more plush and the bb height becomes more managable by switching the shock position. Although it is a bit heavy, I have no problems side-hopping of of 3-5 foot walls and landing it comfortably. The rough trip up the hill is well worth the smooth, blazing speed you get on the way down. I love this bike...

Favorite Trail:   Trip To The Moon

Bike Setup:   as below...

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from West Virginia

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Strengths:    price(caught the frame on sale for 500 bucks! Built to last. Unbelievable craftmanship. If you can break this thing, I wanna see it. Nice plush travel.

Weaknesses:    Ummm, let me see.....ya know, the only weakness here is I can't seem to stay off the thing. Higly prone to tempt you to do things you never thought you would. Oh, wait...that's not a weakness.....it is a bit heavy tho.

Bottom Line:
    Well, if you bought it in 2004, and the price was very low, then you made out like a champ, like me..... I have beat this thing around on a regular basis in the past month I have had it, and am more and more impressed every day. Very well balanced for such a heavy frame. Doesn't feel too heavy one your on it tho. The 2002 models are nearly all gone to my understanding, so if your still sittin on the fence about this frame, GET IT NOW!! You will not be dissapointed. Especially with the price.

Similar Products Used:   There really are no similar products.

Bike Setup:   bombshell fatboys, raceface cranks,bar,grips,bb,and post,xt der. and shifter, Avid mechanicals.

Submitted by Juju Beats a Downhiller from Honolulu, HI, US

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2004

Strengths:    Eats up everything from a pebble to an 8' drop, this is a really good bike, will make you look good when you go huge, I'm 6'3" 250# and I take 6' drops with pancake landings with no effort and without bottoming out, xtremely strong and resilient.Even the rear shock is keeping up with my abuse. Very well priced, not cheap, will not break da bank

Weaknesses:    the head set holding pipe comes loose every now and again, Heavy but manageable.

Bottom Line:
    This is an excellent bike, I've gotten a lot of compliments on how good it looks and how good I'm when I take big drops( I know is the bike not me doing all the work)this bike will outride any other not so inexpensive bike of the same caliber, again it will make you look like you know how to ride, definitely not for jumping (too heavy)unless you carry a lot of momentum.If you're 6'3" and 250# this is the ride for you , I wouldn't recommend it to a smaller lighter rider.
    I rode my friends big hit before I bought mine and didn't really liked the way it felt, also very heavy coz it had a monster upfront, I rather have the weight in the back instead of the front.
    All together this bike gets a 5 flamin' chiles

Favorite Trail:   St. Louis Trail

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Big Hit W/ monster up front.

Bike Setup:   XTR cranks, Boxxer up front 2.7 maxxis & intense tires, Raceface handlebar & grips, MRP, Primo pedals, SRAM cassette, Hayes Mag Disks

Submitted by Dan a Downhiller from Johnsonville, NY - USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    Very burly frame. Components are all very DH worthy. Easy to ride, eats up the big rocks and drops. Makes even me look like I know what I'm doing.

Weaknesses:    I'd rather not have the horizontal drop out in the back, my rear wheel shifts once in a while. But not so bad when I run a bolt on rear wheel.

Bottom Line:
    I really like this bike. It just eats up the trail, I'm able to just knock through the roughest stuff. Riding at Plattekille I realy bet up lighter bikes, but the Mindbomb takes it al in stride. I wish I could ride as well as the bike is capable of.

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock, Marilyn up front, 24 inch wheel in the rear, 3.0 Gazza's

Submitted by jess a Downhiller from texas

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Strengths:    heavy, heavy, heavy.....but this is a good feature when it's the only thing between you and the rocks below. this is a stiff frame, very little flex. the fork rocks when you get it set up for your weight and style. on the fly adjustment. stock shock is sorta all or nothing with it's range. very plush landings, i look for stuff to dive off of now. all else can be switched out or upgraded later....it's the frame that's important and this one's a keeper.

Weaknesses:    had to locktight every screw, almost everything will rattle loose eventually. a little locktight blue will fix this though. i know the shock will probably tank on me soon but i want to see how long it'll take. ummmm i've tried to break this thing but it's built like a tank, good luck!!!

Bottom Line:
    i had to get used to the weight at first. but the upside is if i get on a cross country or hybrid bike...anything around 30 lbs. i can fly on it. once you get used to the weight(50lbs+) you become a god on a mortal bike!!! not only that, but your technical skills will improve. moving this bike around and even tricking off it has made me analize my style. i've had this bike for maybe 3 months. not very long but she feels like an old friend to me already. i've put 290 miles on this bike so far and it's becoming addictive.
    the highest i've bailed from was around 10' and at high speed, so the angle i landed at was more of an arc. but i didn't bottom out or kink my wrist, the bike was honest and stable the whole way down, very forgiving. i've seen some dudes go much higher but i really don't feel like being in traction this year, so i'll pass. y'all have bigger brass than i. the weight also helps to keep the bike planted on loose rocks. it doesn't bounce around like a friggin pogo stick.
    my favorite trail on my place is called Scorn Woman. this "trail" follows a creek bed with some nice 3-4' drops here and there, one 6 footer on the last bend...very technical in some spots, very fast in the middle and end. it's only .3mi long but she's a bit**...hence the name.

overall this is my favorite for all around rough trail. you don't need to spend $5000 on a connondale....unless you're the type that needs to blow cash. this bike rocks!!!

Favorite Trail:   scorn woman

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   k2 disco monkey(broke it and it almost broke me) borrowed a connondale somethingoranother-3000, nice but high dollar. i'd be afraid of scratching the damn thing. various other no-name bikes that ended up being used for parts.

Bike Setup:   yeah, it's setup when i'm on it. if i go over the bars it gets set down. really i havn't done anything to it yet other than an odometer, bar ends and sealer in the tires. yup, in texas everything will stick ya, sting ya, or bite ya. i've tried every type of liner, but nothing is stopping a mesquite thorn. since i gooped my tires i havn't had a flat...260 miles later.

Submitted by Jorge Shaw a Weekend Warrior from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, lots of travel and adjustments to bike geometry, reliable, stable at high speeds, great jumper, super plush specially landing from big drops

Weaknesses:    horizontal rear wheel maunt, but got the new bolt on hub from bombshell and now is OK.

Bottom Line:
    This bike rules, don't got caught in the game of the super $$$ bikes, MBA mag mentioned in their review thet normally they are pampered by yhe price is no fact tipe of bikes, well I will like to ask what cheap part comes in this bike?
    I like to travel to North-Mexico to ride DH due to the great DH courses they have and also to Colorado, and I have borrowed my bike to riders here and there and all have returned with nothing but good coments about my bike, and compared to my ex-bikes, I used to ride each fror almost a year and sell it to bur a newer and diferent one, now I am
    happy to say I sold the last one to buy the bombshell and kept the balance to pay for travels

Favorite Trail:   Durango Trails, Monterrey's Mexico El Barro & Cola de Caballo

Purchased At:   CicloDeporte in Mexico

Similar Products Used:   '99 M-1,'00 UZZI DH,'01 Tomac 208, '00 Shwinn straight 8

Bike Setup:   stock from factory,replaced the rear shock with the improved new shockworks stock in new model, Intense lock-on grips, 2.7 rear tire to match the front, THE DH sadle, replaced the tubes with lighter ones.

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Larksville,PA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, beefy, solid, heavy and inexpensive! You can't find a better cusomer service anywhere!

Weaknesses:    The fact that it says Da Bomb anywhere on the bike. Easily fixed by custom stickers. MRP guide rides to low, cable guides go nowhere on top tube (unless you run them through the head tube where they are pointed. Free body sucks! Even after they replaced the first one I blew out. No fork guards. Pro-Max won't return your calls, seat post size is odd.

Bottom Line:
    Once you put a 9.5" eye to eye and a 24" on the rear. You flip the head tube around and your ready to start. I had to put an AC Pro chain guide on so I could clear logs and rocks, but it was worth it. The 24" with a Gaza 3.0 made the bike feel like you could ride off any thing, and you can! Just point and shoot! Heavy? Did any one ever pick up a Brooklyn? Just pedal harder if it's to heavy, or buy a cross country ride! It takes every thing I can throw at it, And Plattekill has every thing you need to kill a bike. So all and all I love the bike. If I didn't race and run a BMX track in PA, I'd proably own a Brooklyn. But for now i'll stick with the Bombshell. More huck for the buck! PEACE...

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Plattekill

Purchased At:   Plains Bike

Similar Products Used:   Cruz,Marin,GT..

Bike Setup:   Bombshell Marlyn8, Double wides, Profiles, System 12's, Gaza 3.0's, Romic

Submitted by Eric James a Downhiller from Gettysburg, PA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    Nice thick beefy frame,quality of the front triangle is very nice, adjustable head angle that actually adjusts at the head tube and does not change the bottom bracket height. the bottom bracket it adjustable with two shock positions on the rocker arm. Mostly sealed bearings. Promax brakes are really nice so far. Good experience thus far with the factory.

Weaknesses:    No sealed bearings at the dropouts, welds on the rear swing arm are fine, but not as nice as the front triangle(from one picture that isn't on the DaBomb site anymore I think they are making a new rear triangle that looks better.) MRP rides a little low for my taste because it will hit the rocker arm. I tend to case jumps and smash logs so I can't have anything lower than the chainring. The rear shock on mine was a piece of junk. I hope I can send it back to Bombshell and get it rebuilt. I have also heard that this problem was cleared up, but who knows. The rear brake mount flexes, and so does the rear end of the bike(but I have quick release and that doesn't help, new ones have a bolt on rear axle.) I also bent the rear axle, and the cassette is chewing into the soft metal of the freehub.(Bombshell is going to replace both and the new freehubs are chromoly.)

Bottom Line:
    A nice new bike for the money. I was missing a few pieces when it came shipped, but I called Bombshell and everything was right in less than a week and that is really good considering we are on opposite coasts. Frame is pretty solid, and it pedals really well for a bike of its size and weight. I think they are ironing a few bugs out of it yet, but all companies have to do that. I feel that Bombshell gives an honest price from the beginning. Many companies have sales because they were ripping you off when the models were new. I am a very picky consumer, and I like to get what I was promised, and I feel that I have with this bike. With the recent changes the bike should be much better, so if you buy only get the latest and greatest from Bombshell. E-mail me with any questions or comments. Have fun, ride hard, and play safe. I rate items by what the comment behind it says. Near perfect value and it is a good bike. I have grown up since my older reviews, and I don't believe anything is perfect anymore.

Favorite Trail:   the glades at Whitetail

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Trek VRX, Shockwave, Specialized Enduro, Mongoose XR250, test rode a Bullit, GT LTS, Haro X3

Bike Setup:   Stock with Promax brakes(very nice brakes so far), carbon fiber fenders, custom made wheel retention device for the rear wheel quick release. ODI grips. Soon to get a Romic rear shock. Fork gaurds( don't ride without them!!!! they are easy to make.)

Submitted by Aric gourlin a Downhiller from prince george bc canada

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    very good frame very good shock's very good Bike EVERY THING I THE SHI*

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    THE BEST BIKE YOU WILL EVER BY SO BUY IT YOU WON'T HAVE A BAD THING TO SAY ABOUT IT AT LEAST I DON'T I LOVE MY SHOP THAT I GOTI FROM SO GIVE THEM A CALL IF YOU WHANT THE SAME BIKE I HAVE ATV REC PHONE 1888-255-8155

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   atv rec

Bike Setup:   stor set up

Submitted by Phil a Downhiller from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
    Mountain Bike ACTION just reviewed this as a complete bike. They gave the frame the thumbs up. They gave the shock an OK report (heard that Bombshell has switched to a US made shock now, for the same price!!)

Is it just me or does it seem like Mountain Bike ACTION version of testing the shock is looking at the sticker to see where it is made? USA GOOD everything else BAD.

They complained about the high bb height. Talking to people this had been address over a year ago with two shock eye positions, the second hole lowering the BB height. So with all this changed the review is a primo.

Why aren't you riding one?

Submitted by Derrick Williams a Downhiller from Oceanside, CA, US

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Strengths:    Super Stiff. Unbeatable quality. Majorly plush 2002 setup with 8.1 inches of travel that can be setup to 9 1/2 due to the shock stroke already supporting it. Great looking rig. 7005 tubing like the Konas. Truly BOMBPROOF.

Weaknesses:    Not too excited about the weight. The adjustable headtube is solid but for the sake of straight out confidence, I'd rather it be solid.

Bottom Line:
    This is the GREATEST and I quote, "GREATEST DH BIKE SETUP you can get in the 2500-3500 price range. The only thing that sets it back is the weight. But, I'm 6.3 230 lbs so its just what I need. When I want to huck 20-30 footers I need this. Not a T6 6061 frame for my 230 lb frame. Why do you think Kona uses the 7005 tubing? This is a quality built bike with a ridiculous price point. I sugeest you buy 2 because when the word is completely out everyone and their mama will have one.

Tell me this, where can you get a handcrafted, 8 to 9.5 inch travel, 7005 frame with a 4 bar linkage system for $1200?

5 flaming chillis is nowhere near this value rating. more like an 8.

Favorite Trail:   Cancer Stick

Purchased At:   1199

Similar Products Used:   M1 (Overpriced but plush) Super 8 (Overpriced Mindbomb) Foes DHS Tube

Bike Setup:   Standard right off the floor. But, I'm going to put AVRO rims on it for those 30 footers, drill a hole in the rocker shock mount to get my 9.5 inches of travel, profile cranks, pro tapers and some other little stuff...

Submitted by Cam a Downhiller from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2001

Strengths:    Mega beefy, mega stiff, mega travel.
    Suspension does it all with no fuss.
    Quality is unbeatable for the price.

Weaknesses:    factory BB hieght was too high. easy fixed.
    Heavy, but that's why I bought a ute :-)

Bottom Line:
    For the money you can't do better.
    The frame and suspension work and work well straight outta the box.
    Perfect bike for those who hate fiddling about picking lines and prefer to just point and shoot. Big gussets and big travel will get you there every time.

Favorite Trail:   Big Hill, Mt Beauty

Purchased At:   Dhdirect.com.au

Similar Products Used:   Avanti Moto, Craftworks, Giant ATX-DH, Schwinn straight 8,Intense M1

Bike Setup:   Hayes 8" discs, Mavic rims, LX running gear, Shock works big one forks, truvativ cranks & chain guide, Da Bomb hubs

Submitted by hooter a Downhiller from Canberra Australia

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    Big travel, pedals, corners and jumps well. Bit different from the thousand or so Giant and Intenses out there. Reasonable price for a lot of bike.
    Massive 3 inch stroke Shock Works shock.

Weaknesses:    Bit on the heavy side.....But hey, it's a DH bike!
    They also need a bit of a tweak or two to get them right.

Bottom Line:
    Great frame for the $$$$. Half the price of an Intense with nearly equal performance. I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Blue Range