Azonic DS2 Frameset

4.42/5 (24 Reviews)

• constructed from Cold Forged Alcoa® 7005 T-6 Aluminum seamless tubing incorporating a lower gusset on the head tube virtually eliminating torsional flex.
  • Features lateral rear dropouts for rear axle adjustability, double clear coated graphics and a polished finish.
  • Available in 12.5", 14" and 16.5" sizes.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Brian from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Strengths:    Heavy duty. Turns so very tight. Cheeeeep! Its strength is also its weakness. This bike is what Azonic says it is, and only that, a DS bike. This bike is very fun to ride once you get used to it.

Weaknesses:    Its hard to 'dis' this bike since it has a special purpose. Perhaps its a bit too heavy for me. After 10-15 miles, Im done. Is not good on flat ground! It's like a snowboard, cant run on the flat & straight - but it cuts a good line through the wild trails. Yea, stock up on those little replaceable rear hangers, if they break off, as designed, your left with a silly speed bike. OH YEA - If you run disk, you have to remove the disk brake to get the wheel off with the horizontal drop outs. Makes fixing a flat a real pain.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is super fun! It is very responsive, durable, and it has "character". It makes a good play bike but would not be considered by any means something you would take on an XC trip. It does DH in a pinch just fine, somehow. If your favorite trail has jumps, is twisty & rolly then this is the frame for you. I have had a love/hate relation with between the fun factor vs. its pedal-ability. Gears never helped, it is a stand up and pedal kind of bike...

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale SuperV, DBR hardtail, Spot.

Bike Setup:   Now its a 34:18 Single Speed, but I did have some gears on it a while ago. I used to have a 32/22 up front, which I took off. And ran a 38 w/ evil bash with 8 speed rear - until I lost a few rear deraillers. 5" Marz Z1. Mavic D521 rims. Hayes disk. 2.4" tires w/ DH tubes. This single speed is 31.4 lbs!

Submitted by Darrel a Racer from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Strengths:    Price. I got 2 years out of a frame which has never been heard of by me.

Weaknesses:    Stays - Stays are now pooched. Insead of having an iside width of 135 at the dropout theyre now 147mm, and they cause me to go through hubs exponentially. I went through 2 sram 9.0 SL's in 2 days.

Bottom Line:
    Not bad, Ive never had a frame last this long when I ride everyday, Ive done 6 trials demos on it, MANY 6' and higher flat drops and im 225. For the price I paid Id recommend it, but mine is now retired as I just got my new Evolution.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Aibomb

Similar Products Used:   To may to list

Bike Setup:   Trials setup - Magura hs33, braided steel lines, DMR rigid fork, race face SS DH head set, 100mmX15 degree, RF DH bar, Sram 9.0 sl hub on rhyno lyte rear, and mazic x233 up front. Truvative 165mm crank, custom bash guard, 24t granny with 8mm bolts.

Submitted by aaron hawkins a Downhiller from notts.england

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    can handle drop off`s despite dubious bike shop`s comments 8FT thus far incredible mid range accelaration better than ddg 4 example smaal frame light and small feel and nimble...

Weaknesses:    if you do want disc brakes buy something else....if u snap u`r drop out any way your frame normally snaps as well as did my GT...tell u something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!my bike is fine and has even been hammered 2 up........

Bottom Line:
    A GOOD ALL ROUNDER NOT SUITED FOR LONG HAULS BUT MANAGABLE EVEN SO FUN TO RIDE LIGHT HOPPY BRISK,EXPENSIVE LOOKS WITHOUT THE COST GOOD D HILLER JUMP/STUNT NO COMPLAINTS THUS FAR GEOMETRY EASILY OFF SET WITH LONGER STEM AND DDG SEAT POST FLEX`S WELL i.eBENDS WHEN EXTENDED BEFORE LIMIT WHEN PUTTING ONE`S SOILED BOOT DOWN.....STOP CUSSING THIS BIKE AND AV SUM RESPECPA 4 IT ALRIGGHHHT..................

Favorite Trail:   cossall,bramcote park,sherwood forest.

Purchased At:   bet u wud like 2 know

Similar Products Used:   DDG BLACKJACK,HITMAN.CANNONDALE M1000,700,GT,BARACUDAETC

Bike Setup:   full lx set up except the shifters which are old school deore silver capped top shifters,azonic gold dh bars judy c forks mavic 517sups unbreakable richey logic stem tioga/richey tyres pshycho frnt/z max rear.tit sad,xt hubs,v/sml frame my hunny bunny......................

Submitted by Gregory Cain a Weekend Warrior from Wales

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good, rides beautifully, jumps very well, cheapish, strong, fast stable

Weaknesses:    No rear disk mount, Non-replacable mech hanger, Wont take even my tioga DH2.1 on the rear with dropouts right in unless I cut off a bit of the tread.(I have the 16 inch version) nothing too important

Bottom Line:
    This bike is great for anyone no mattrer what type of riding your into. Honestly. Buy this bike it wont let you down. I love the bike. But get a snappable rear mech bolt because there is not a replacable rear mech hanger. So if it snapps your in trouble. Top frame.

Favorite Trail:   marin trail betws y coed

Purchased At:   chain reaction cycles

Similar Products Used:   Identity Jekyll, Da Bomb something Loads

Bike Setup:   Marzochi Z4, DS2 16 inch, Hope mini front, Mavic d321 on bulb front, Mavic d521 on lx hub rear. rubbish v brake on the back. Dmr saturn ring and v8 pedals. Azonic world force bar and stem (top kit) Useless seat and post. Useless power pro cranks, Shimano LX and Deore transmission. Shimano headset.

Submitted by chris leonard a Weekend Warrior from manchester

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Strengths:    it is a great strong bike good for street and trail

Weaknesses:    nothingh iove it

Bottom Line:
    i think its a good all round bike the rider must have some skills and knolage about the art of riding. it is my own

Favorite Trail:   manchester

Purchased At:   tom royal

Similar Products Used:   azonic ds1

Bike Setup:   ds2 frame bommers front disk brake magura for the back and single speed conversion kit hot seat and some slack peddals also453 3 piece cranks and tioga bars that about raps it up

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from NC USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Strengths:    ...

Weaknesses:    The decals are stickers you can peel off. NO REAR DISC MOUNT.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is usless. Save up and buy something else. the frame is no good to upgrade on unless you can weld. i've seen loads bend. and take big old dint's. If you ride slow and like jumping with fear that your bike won't take the landing then take this bike.

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Bike Setup:   nothing i sent it back.

Submitted by RNS a Weekend Warrior from warsaw

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2002

Strengths:    geometry , 12,5' ,horizontal drop out

Weaknesses:    it broke until 6th month (i ride once a week)

Bottom Line:
    it broke near the guesset during a small jump (i feel that smt is wrong & stopped before a jump) I broke the frame with my hands in 2pcs. Great stiffnes but i tough i will never break it. DAMN. BUT IT WAS A GOOD BIKE

Similar Products Used:   da bomb sputnik, kona scub-stuff-roast

Bike Setup:   trials, streetride

Submitted by andrey a Downhiller from nyc

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Strengths:    I always wanted to have 2.6 tier in the back of my ds-2

Weaknesses:    I always wanted to have 2.6 tier in the back of my ds-2

Andrey

Bottom Line:
    I always wanted to have 2.6 tier in the back of my ds-2

Favorite Trail:   central park

Purchased At:   www.wheelworld.com

Similar Products Used:   I always wanted to have 2.6 tier in the back of my ds-2

Bike Setup:   I always wanted to have 2.6 tier in the back of my ds-2

Andrey

Submitted by Robert Kuhn a Downhiller from Escondido, CA (USA)

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight yet very strong (excellent welds) and rigid.

Weaknesses:    Lack of rear disc brake mounts and the decals do peel off (not that I consider that to be a huge weakness).

Bottom Line:
    I have the 14 inch frame and it climbs, jumps and accelerates very well. I did run into a slight problem with respects with my chain guide in that I had to use a 118 x 63 bottom bracket in order to get the BlackSpire to fit properly and reduce the amount of chain bend when it was in the granny gears. I originally used a 113 x 63 that I had and it was just too short for my setup. The chain ring came very close to hitting the frame. A 122 x 63 stuck out too far ~ it not only increased the chain bend but I was forced to slip a thicker washer for the tension wheel. I also found that I had just enough gap in the chain guide (with the 122) where it could (and did once) fall in between (and man did that suck!).

Otherwise, I am very pleased and happy with the frame even though it lacks rear disc brake mounts and the decals does peel off ~ no matter because I already stickered it up with other decals. :-)

As for the lack of rear disc brake mounts, I also have a '99 Specialized M4 FSR frame where I purchased a rear-disc brake mount kit from Specialized ($50 US) and I think I can adapt it to fit this frame.

Aside from that, it's a great frame! I ride mostly pavement with this bike and it's just rock solid! If you want a fun bike to jump or just goof around on, select this frame!

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear

Purchased At:   WheelWorld (http://www.wheelworld.com)

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   FSA Orbit headset, BlackSpire "Duel Slalom" crank, chain guide and chain ring (38T), 2001 Marzocchi Z5 Air (105mm) front fork, SunRingle Ryno-Lite rims with Shimano LX hubs and skewers, Thomson "Laid back" seat post, Azonic "Lounge" seat, Azonic "Shorty" stem, SunRingle "ZuZu" pedals, Shimano XT shifter and brake levers, Shimanon XT "V" Brakes, Shimano 9 speed rear cassette, Safars grips, Azonic DH riser (1.5 inche) handlebar, Salsa seat post clamp, SRAM PC59 chain, Shimano bottom bracket (118 x 63), Lizard Skin "chain stay protector" and IRC Mytho "Semi-Slick" (2.10 inch) tires with Slime tubes.

Submitted by Andrey a Downhiller from nyc

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Strengths:    strong,cheap,grate
    its my baby
    i did 7.5 feet to flat like nothing

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    z1,azonic bars steam seat ,xt brakes bb and some other $hit

Favorite Trail:   forest park

Purchased At:   www.wheelworld.com

Similar Products Used:   p3

Submitted by like you care>?? from london, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    i like the polished look.. great welds.. price.. i think the drop outs are great.. some people dont like them.. i love the shape and light weight.. stiff.. its a great jump, drop and fun bike.. its my play bike!!

Weaknesses:    so far none with the frame.. because thats what im reviewing.. (just the frame) maybe no disk ready clip.. but who cares about a duel slalom with disks.. it looks neat to have disk brakes on this frame.. well the ds-1 i mean.. but for what you are going to use the bike for its not worth it anyways.. its a duel slalom not a downhiller.. (or maybe im just not disk friendly) ;)

Bottom Line:
    Well i have done some work on this bike and i think if you want a great jump, drop, maybe race(but i dont race it YET!!) looks, feel, and lots of fun.. this bike is for you.. great price, cheap.. and thats always the best price.. well i think im going to be a Azonic rider for life, unless i can some how find a bad thing about this bike.. you pedal it goes, what more do you want, oh ya a frame that wont brake.. well i cant brake it!!

Favorite Trail:   anything thats not a road

Purchased At:   i better you would like to know

Similar Products Used:   p.3a, trek bruiser two, arrow dss, god i could go on and on.. any hardtail duel slalom

Bike Setup:   Maxxis. 2.35 rear wheel Kujo 2.35 front. Mavic rims, pinchflat tubes, xtr v-brake, lx front and xt rear hubs, an air z5 bomber, norco dh stem, azonic bars, lx arms 42t ring with AC chain guide, xt rear derailer, no name seat stem, crappy seat(soon to be Azonic Lounge dh saddel) lx shifter, no name levers, (soon to be xt combind 9 speed shifter and brake lever) sram pc69 chain, dont know the bb, or cassette.. and some cheap grips

Submitted by Craig Henry a Downhiller from Edinburgh

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Strengths:    This is a very small ,nimble bike that jumps well and goes exactly where you put it. Cheap as chips, nothing else came close for the same money.

Weaknesses:    Crappy paint and stickers, no rear disk mount, flat rear drop outs

Bottom Line:
    For a bike frame that cost less than the forks then it's a bargin. It rides well and the geometry is sorted for jumping.
    It takes a bit to get used to the flat drop outs which i seem to have a habit of wrenching the wheel out when trialsing.
    A fine steed and it keeps my girlfriend off my Bullit.
    You have to watch when jumping if you have the wheel set up at the shortest wheelbase point, you jump and the bike does it's best to come out from under you, nothing a change in technique wont solve

Favorite Trail:   Any as long as it goes down

Purchased At:   Broadribbs England

Similar Products Used:   None, never had a small jump bike before

Bike Setup:   Zi drop off, Azonic Bars + stem, FSA Hset, LX + XT drivetrain, Hope Hubs on 121 rims (it's all the bits i had left when i built my SC Bullit)

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Saratoga, CA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Strengths:    ***Very zippy. Accelerates like no other.
    ***Great jumper. This thing flies without effort.
    ***Price. I got it for $499 complete with Psylo SLs. (same deal from airbomb as the guy a few review below me)
    ***Strength. This frame will hold up to lots of dirt jumping and slalom riding. If you like 10 ft drops to flat concrete, get a Planet-X or something.

Weaknesses:    None. frank lucckham doesn't know what he's talking about. His wheel is obviously out of true. I can fit Tioga 2.3s with 3/8" of clearance on both sides.

Bottom Line:
    This is a very capable frame. I have a bombproof setup, which can be duplicated for less than 1 grand. If you like dirtjumping but don't want a 20 incher, this is your ticket. It jumps like a BMX but has nice big 26" wheels that can hold very grippy tires like the Michelin 2.5s, and the fork saves your ass when you make a mistake and land funny. 5 chilis overall, and I'd give it 10 for value if I could.

Favorite Trail:   Calabazas jumping park, my street/giant wooden ramp

Purchased At:   Airbomb.com

Similar Products Used:   Various other hardtails including Planet X, DS1, etc. I bought this because of the price and am glad I did.

Bike Setup:   14" frame (I'm 6' tall), psylo SLs, stock SRAM 7.0 drivetrain and koski brakes/levers, odyssey seatpost, azonic loveseat, profile chromoly cranks, homemade chainguide, sun/ringle pedals, Sun Rhino Lite rims, XT hubs, Azonic PDW riser bar, powertools stem. I replaced a lot of the stock parts by swapping them with the heavier duty parts on my GT STS. Final cost was about $530.

Submitted by stan a Cross Country Rider from arcadia

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    light for the strength you get, nice sizes you don't see too often, just about everything except...

Weaknesses:    for the clear coat that covers it and the cheesy stickers. I konw that the coat protects the frame, but it starts coming off pretty easily and begins to look bad.

Bottom Line:
    Obviously not for weight weenies, although the frame itself is rather light (lighter than my XC frame, i believe). with all the stuff i've put on it though, it easily weighs in at >30 lbs, but that's the price you pay for durability. it handles a dual crown fork well thanks to the downtube gusset, so if you're looking for a cheap freeride machine this is it. The horizontal dropouts come in handy when fitting a 2.4" uneven tire on the back, but have come out once when i didn't bother jumping a curb at low tire pressure- my fault, the QR probably wasn't tight enough.

Purchased At:   airbomb