AMP Research B5 Frameset

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)

AMP Research B5

Submitted by kid4lyf a Racer from Crown Point, IN USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Strengths:    Wicked Light and Fast

Weaknesses:    lack of cable stops

Bottom Line:
See my review in bikes-full suspension.
5 flaming chillies and I'm no lightweight.

Similar Products Used:   C-Dale Super V, Fisher Sugar, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Noleen Mega Air fork, XTR/Sram drivetrain, carbon cranks, bars, seatpost, Bonty/Chris King Racelite wheelset.
22.3lbs soaking wet

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2000

Strengths:    This frame (purchased as a custom set-up complete bike) completely rocked the first 3 months. As a cross-country rider who likes very techicnal downhilling (weighing around 135) it's low weight (carbon fiber stays) got me to the goods with little effort. It performed well w/ nothing near 5 inches of travel. I.f yer going to lie why not say 10 inches like in high school

Weaknesses:    All right, here goes. Bushings may work for a couple of years but, these (if you do not mind my bluntness) suck. If only a shoulder bolt was used inside the bushing instead of all threads, wear and tear would be greatly reduced. I'm in the process of machining my own replacements. Amp is phasing out of bikes (except for contracted Mercades rides, how the German engineers feel is yet to be heard of) which is a shame. As a cutting edge developer 10 years ago, Mr. Leitner failed to continue true innovation or even keeping up with the little dogs.

Bottom Line:
Buy something else.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest Trail, Co.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Scott a Cross-Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight, great climber, good handling, active suspension really works

Weaknesses:
Rear shock

Bottom Line:
A good bike. Could be a great bike except for two things: if the rear shock didn't blow out every 6 months, and if the rear shock didn't use such a rinky-dink pivot to the swing arm (or whatever it's called) It's just a threaded hex bolt thru a ring bearing in the end of the shock shaft; there's way too much slop in this pivot for a $900 frame.As-is it's a good bike; super light weight, innovative design, the suspension works, it's just a bit lacking in execution. I wouldn't buy another one. Other companies have taken (stolen?)this design and improved on it.As for durability, I weigh 185 and haven't had a problem (other than the rear shock) yet. I don't expect to: had my B2 for 3 years without a problem (except for, yes, the rear shock!) until a rear pivot bearing came loose and the pieces shot out into the Utah desert. (Was able to jerry-rig it enough to get me back, but by then the damage was done.)

CO Trail, Georgia Pass

1 Year

AMP B2
Trek 9300

Mostly XT, Marzocchi Z2 front shock, Chris King hubs, Kooka cranks.

Submitted by Deric a Cross-Country Rider from SLC,UT

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
Much stiffer than my b-4,excellent rear
suspension,Cool Amp upgrade policy

Weaknesses:
Frame is heavier than Amp claims.Short
top tube(maybe not a weakness to you)

Bottom Line:
Firstly if you weigh less that 200lbs the B5 carbon rear is an ideal frame.I built mine as
a lightweight cross or freeride bike,substituting the Amp linkage fork for a Xvert triple clamp and the disk brakes for a set of Arch Rivals.I also had a set of non disk Crossmax
wheels that prevented me from going disk which worked out fine because the Avids work great.Anywho the large frame,without the shock,weighed in at 5.2 lbs on my scale and the Risse shock(a must have for Amp frames) was right on at 263 gms.I've been riding the bike for about 3 months and this thing is amazing....Both climbing and downhill.While climbing, the frame remains active with very little feedback or bobbing and thats with only 165lbs of air in the Risse.The big travel goes to good use
on the downhill with no bottoming and no decernable flex.I find that I don't have to steer around obstacles but rather right over them.
The bottom line is that this is one of the lightest 5in (4 in the front) travel bikes on the
trail,an honest 25lbs with dh cage pedals.

Wasatch Crest

3 months

b4,FSR

B5 with a Risse Astro 5 rear shock,Manitou Xvert t fork,Avid arch rival brakes,Crossmaxs,Kooka,RaceFace,
Easton

Submitted by Ron a Cross-Country Rider from SLC UT.

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight

Weaknesses:
to flexible, shocks blow out all the time, pivots wear out to fast.

Bottom Line:
this bike is for sale. If you are a hard core rider it won't last one season without rebuilding something. Buy a Lenzsport and you will have a bike worth riding! I would only recomend this bike for someone under 140 lbs that doesn't like to bomb down rocky hills fast. Great climbing bike and handles well otherwise. If the bike didn't flex as much and blow out the shock seals so easily this would be a great bike.

Porcupine Rim

2 Years

Lenzsport, specialized fsr

all amp setup w/disc brakes

Submitted by tarmac a Racer from auckland

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Strengths:
light weight
good handling
simple to work on

Weaknesses:
Ti spring not available as it is with the B3

Bottom Line:
I got the medium with carbon stays & the frame only weighs 4.5lbs. Complete bike only 22.9lbs.
Wicked! This bike is a climbing machine. I race it & it's great to able to get the awesome traction it provides in order to pass those hardtail guys pushing their bikes up the steep climbs. Then you can use it's 5 of suspension travel to blast the downhills. I could rave on about this bike for ages, but I'll just let you read some of the other reviews.

karapoti

3 months

AMP B3
Specialized FSR Pro
GT STS Team
Giant ATX 990
Kee Wee
& plenty of others

AMP F4, AMP discs, XTR drivetrain, Hope rear hub, Syncros Pro post, Dean Ti handle-bar, etc.

Submitted by Ole Blokhus a cross-country rider from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had quite a few problems with Amp's rear shocks in the past, and as a result, I
started a primitive mailing list a while back. Chances are, if you have a problem
with your Amp, I might have some useful information that might help you. Feel free
to email me with any questions, and also
to receive the postings to the mailing list so far.Ole.

anyone have a tow hitch on a VW PASSAT B5.5 (1998-2006)? Experience?

Hi guys, I've been using a trunk mounted bike carrier for a while and I have decided to see about getting a rear trailer hitch but am having difficulty settling on a suitable one for my car. I have the FWD V6 sedan (glx) and have found a few (Curt, draw-tight, hidden-hitch) that have models that al ... Read More »

Used Amp B5 worth it?

I am considering purchasing a used Amp B5 with good light components. Does anyone have any input on this idea vs a new beginner bike. I included a link below to the same bike setup. Thanks. [url]http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=71[/url]Read More »