AMP Research B-3 Frameset

B-3

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Too light and flexy

Bottom Line:
I have owned 8 mountain bikes and this was hands down the worst bike I have ever had. I bought it because of the reviews I had read. The fork was a joke, the seatstays were so weak that the rear brakes didn't work. The whole bike flexed. Great hoist design, but way way underbuilt. If you are a large rider, run from this bike and never look back.

Submitted by BIKERG a Cross Country Rider from Chicago IL

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2001

Strengths:    Very light strong frame easly rebuildable rear shock

Weaknesses:    leak prone rear shock

Bottom Line:
very light &responsive frame only problems little skitish on fast hard turns & a smooth working rear shock that has to be rebuilt every year perfect weight & strenth for XC riding good frame from amp just need to fix the shock.NIce frame for someone who wants a very light dual suspention & doesnt mind working on or fixing his bike on a regular basis.

Similar Products Used:   jamis drakar specialized stump jumper

Bike Setup:   mar z2 hellbent bar & seatpost XT XTR drivetrain

Submitted by Matt a racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I raced cross-country fore three years on my old AMP B-3. It's one smooth bike. The suspension piviots never wore out, and it only chainsucked twice. My bike was built up with XT, a few top drawer componets and an AMP f-2 fork with a steel steerer tube and weighed in at 24.5 lbs. It's the lightest XC fully-suspended race I could find in 1994 when I bought it. The frame never showed any cracks. The only problems I had were with the rear shock. It was toast aftertwo months. The seals and shaft wore out regualrly and I needed to keep on replacing them. I almost considered dumping it for a Noleen NR-1, but every time I rebulit the rear shock it ran buttery smooth untill it wore out again. Like any supension bike, it takes time to learn to ride right. It climbs and descends better than any hardtail I've ridden, once you learn to ride it, altohugh its a bit sluggish in tight single track. Where it shines is in the middle speed range, on gnarly cross-country courses. I would pass hardtail riders like they were standing still when teh going got fast and bumpy. If you buy a B-3 and take care of it right, you won't be dissapoited