Airborne lucky strike Frameset

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

airborne lucky strike

Submitted by Stuart Rice from U.K.

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    Lucky Strike: Light , responsive, looks great

Weaknesses:    Lack of instruction manuals for brakes etc.

Bottom Line:
This bike is mainly used on-road so continental 1.5 slick tyres, PACE carbon fibre rigid forks and Easton carbon fibre bars. I am 5 feet 8 inches 30 inch inside leg so have 16 inch frame- ideal! I love the bike and the service I have received from J Sintnik in Holland. Best of all: I intended to have Hope hydraulics but was talked into Avid Mechanical disc brakes. Best choice! Awesome power and so easy to set up and maintain.Highly recommended./

Purchased At:   Holland

Similar Products Used:   Marin Eldridge Grade

Bike Setup:   XT with Ritchie disc wheels, Thomson seat post, sella saddle. AND Avid Mechanical disc brakes-brill

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Menlo Park

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    Almost Litespeed quality for penny of a dollar. Ecellent handling and good geometry. Price..Price.. Price..and price

Weaknesses:    Head tube emblem is stick on with 3m tape?

Bottom Line:
Best Value Titaniun. With this setup , the bike weight less then 21 lbs. It rides like a dream. The bike is a lot more forgiving than any hardtail I had ridden; it doesn't punish your body like a stiff hardtail. It's stiff and yet very compliant. It climbs and descent with ease. Once you go titanium, you will not want to go back to aluminum. Quality is on par with other high price titaniums. Go Airborne...

Purchased At:   Airborne Direct

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F2000, Mongoose 10.7, Litespeed Pisgah

Bike Setup:   Sid SL, King wheelset & headset, 9.0sl shifter and derailleur, XTR crank & cassete, brakes, CT2 seatpost & handle bar, mg60 xc stem, and goreTex cables.

Submitted by Johnny from San Diego,CA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2000

Strengths:    This bike replaced a Klein frame that I cracked getting big air off a loading dock onto concrete. This frame is strong as sh%t. I've been doing alot of riding and jumping in the city(I use it as transportation sometimes)and it just keeps going. I love the matte finish(mine looks as good as new). Very stiff. It handles like a dream. The poor-man's Litespeed.

Weaknesses:    The decals are kinda cheezy. I do, however, approve of the decal of a scanly clad bimbo with her boobs hanging out. The Airborne badge near the headset started peeling back. I ripped it off and used adhesive stripper on it, presto-no more badge.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, excellent bang-for-the-buck. Once you go titanium you'll never go back to aluminum. If you want a stiff hardtail that can take abuse, this is you're bike.

Similar Products Used:   Klein, Cannondale, Litespeed

Bike Setup:   mid/high grade stuff

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    The elevated seat post tube. I can ride sans seat post and saddle and have a really good time-if you know what I mean.

Weaknesses:    Everything else about the frame, in a word-JUNK!

Bottom Line:
This bike sucks, except for the turd burgaling I experience when I choose to ride w/out my seatpost and saddle. A little chamois cream...Very Nice!

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   XTR

Submitted by Rick G a Cross Country Rider from Rochester Mi

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2000

Strengths:    Incredible feel when riding compared to my old cannondale. I can't believe the difference, I may have had the wrong size cannondale, or its different geometry, but what a great frame.

Weaknesses:    None found yet, well in the looks dept. the Airborne "badge" on the front seems cheap. Metal but with some type of tape adhesive. Not that big of a deal though.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this frame highly, I was a bit worried about sizing when ordering. But taking a look at the website and getting measurements, I was very pleased! The frame seems to have a sloping top tube, which makes stand over height excellent, and makes this bike easy to toss around if you want to get some air time.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Similar Products Used:   I have owned: Diamond Back Chromo, Cannondale Alum, and what made me switch to the Ti Lucky strike, a Fisher Y Frame Full Susp.

Bike Setup:   Since I had a Gary Fisher with awesome XT and XTR components and a nice Judy, I purchased the bare frame from Airborne. Loaded it with my XT/XTR setup, Mavics 221's, race face cranks, ritchie pedals, it was ready to rock!

Submitted by Gavin MacFarlane a Cross Country Rider from atlanta, ga

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Strengths:    Softer than Alum. w/o giving up resposiveness. Quite true and straight-tracking. Strong as hell.

Weaknesses:    lots of rear braking loss due to v-brakes excessive flexing of the seat stays.

Bottom Line:
This thing not only rides like a dream and looks cool, it has taken a year of pretty hard use in stride. After about a dozen races and many many trips, components have come and gone, the frame still looks like brand new. I even rode (unknowingly) with a 26.8 seatpost instead of the correct 27.2 for a few months- no cracks or signs of stress... even though I'm an idiot my Airborne still held up for me. Can't beat the great customer service from the nice folks at Airborne either.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Mountain, Chatsworth, GA

Similar Products Used:   gt Zaskar, Litespeed Occoee

Bike Setup:   z.2 superfly fork
9.0sl betsy edition shifters

Submitted by larry dell a Cross-Country Rider from falling waters, w.v.

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1999

Strengths:
very good climbing bike
stable handling in single track
very little flex

Weaknesses:
seat angle is a 73degree-good for most folks- for me it would be ideal if it was a 72 dgree.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this frame for x-country racing and it has performed very well.I placed 5th.at Seven Springs Norba National Series on it in the sport masters class this past June. This frame is more forgiving than the al. hardtail in the rocks but, you don't notice any flex when you stand up on it and hammer it. The people at Airborne have given me great service before and after the purchase of my frame,plus very good pricing on the fork and other items. Bottom line: I have been in sales for approx. 15 years - which has made me very aware of receiveing a product at a fair price and with good follow up service- the folks at Airborne have given me both!

6 months