Airborne Corsair Frameset

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Corsair TI frame

Submitted by Bill Burger a Weekend Warrior from High Point, NC US of A!

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Compact geometry, materials, welds (FLAWLESS!!!), value, the general ride qualities of the materials and the gwometry. Sports car like handling. Packing for shipping was top drawer and delivery was fast!

Weaknesses:    Decals come off way too easily. Can be a bit squirrely and front end lifts up too easily for me (but hey, I am a large dude).

Bottom Line:
When I bought this frame, it was to be the foundation of my perfect mountain bike. I had a ruptured disk six years prior, and wanted a hardtail that would be able to carry my large carcass up hills agressively, and yet be forgiving in the roots and drops. I didn't want rear suspencion, thank you very much. Half way through the building process, I found myself leaning towards road riding. There are several exceptional Greenway options close to wear I live, and I had begun migrating towards high speed chases on backwooods asphalt, and periodically hoping on a paceline to do road training rides.

So, the bike has been riden over the past year on average 4-5 days per week in sun, rain, snow, mud, on singletrack, Greenways, and week long "across the state" road roads. It is my one and only multi-purpose do-all bike and it plays the role amazingly well. I remove my knobbies, swap out wheelsets, slap on a pair of skinnies, and go ride 70 miles of mountain asphalt. On the flats, I can hold my own with a pack at a comfortable 19-22 mph. Amazingly, this has proven to be a highly versatile frame.

Off road, it does what it is supposed to do pretty darn well. My only complaint is it can get away from you on steeps - the front end floats on me unpredictably. Standing out of the saddle on the climbs keeps it down, but on the steeper climbs, the front can get squirrely on you. I don't know - perhaps this is due to the weight I carry that this is an emphasized issue.

Last winter while riding a stretch of steep downhill singletrack, there was an eroded away section of main trail, and to the immediate right, what looked like doable terrain covered in leaves. As I soon discovered, the leaves covered a deep pit which I hit head on. The Corsair took a major hit - I actually felt the entire frame arch like an archer's bow. And then it snapped back and I was on my merry way. There was a hell of a lot of G force coming down on that frame. My weight alone counts for over 250 lbs. Factor in the gradient and the drop, I am certain lesser frames would have snapped.

Even with the floating front end, I love this bike. I would be curious to try something a bit less compact in their line. To me that is the main drawback - the ability to try before you buy. My local bike shop has a built up Zep in a smaller size, which I would love try, but it is too small. If Airborne could ever figure a way to let customers try their bikes first, I am sure they would greatly improve their sales numbers. They build a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   ask me on a daily basis

Purchased At:   direct via internet

Bike Setup:   Mavic/XT wheels, Truvativ Hussefelt Cranks and bb, Duke XC fork, Weyless carbon handlebars and seat post, XT derailleurs, SRAM Rocket Shorty shifters.

Submitted by Jake a Weekend Warrior from Allentown, PA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Strengths:    Titanium frame for $600, Weight, Durability, Simplicity

Weaknesses:    Some might complain that bike is welded overseas, but it still has nice welds.

Bottom Line:
Very pleased with this frame, assembly went well. You can get lighter aluminum frames that are around the same price, or you could pay almost twice as much for a top of the line ti frame. The decision was pretty easy for me. I will wait to review the entire bike, but I doubt much will go wrong with the frame. If you want to save even more money consider buying parts online. My total came to about $1550 as opposed to the $1899 price tag in the store. I also have pictures of the bike, email me if you're interested.

Favorite Trail:   Jim Thorpe

Purchased At:   Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Lynx SX (Aluminum) Genesis (Chromoly)

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Mavic 517 wheels, Answer Stem, Kore Handlebar, Selle Italia Saddle, Time Attac pedals, Thomson Seatpost.

Submitted by Enrique Borunda a Racer from el paso tx usa

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Strengths:    GREAT FRAMSET STIGG WHERE YOU WHAT IT TO BE, AND TWICE A BETTER FEELING THAT ALUMINUM OR CROMOLY, PERFECT SIGLETRACK GEOMETRY. NICE Ti FRAME AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE

Weaknesses:    NONE YET !!!

Bottom Line:
A FRIEND OF MINE PAID TWICE AS MUCH FOR A HIGHEND TITANIUM FRAME WE BUILT THEM ALMOST WITH THE SAME PARTS CORSAIR IS LIGHTER AND I STILL HAD ENOUGH CASH TO RACE IT IN EVERY RACE !!!OVERALL IS THE PERFECT MOUNTAINBIKE FRAME FOR A RACER OR A WEEKEND RIDER.

Favorite Trail:   hollywood trail

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   MONGOOSE 10.7 TI
YETI ARC TI

Bike Setup:   FULL XTR GROUP, SIU RACE FORK

Submitted by Johnny Racing Boy a Racer from Eastcoast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Light, fast, fun, and a good quality TI ride. A wise pick for a light racer looking for a light bike. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

Weaknesses:    It might flex a little more for heavier riders but i am not sure because i am a 15 year old that weighs 115 lbs...

Bottom Line:
YOU DON"T HAVE TO SPEND A LOT TO GET A LOT!

PEACE OUT YO!

Favorite Trail:   Fun Ones

Purchased At:   Airborne Direct

Similar Products Used:   Marin KHS DEAN Jamis Merlin

Bike Setup:   Topa 220 xc riser bar < LX shifters < LX crank < Avid Mag brakes and levers < Z1 x-fly 100 mm i wish i had a light 80mm fork < Chris King Headset < titec stem < XT 517wheelset < titec stem < thomson seatpost < Flight gell seat ti rails < xt everything else the whole bike weighs a little less than 25lbs

Submitted by Steve a Racer from NC

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    light, smooth ride

Weaknesses:    none found yet

Bottom Line:
Bike went together smooth, no problems building it. I see people mentioning welds in their reviews; welds are there to hold the tubes together and as long as they do that I will be happy. I could care less how they look. You are getting titanium for 599. Pictures don't do the frame justice, you have to see it. Looked nicer than expected; chainstays were thicker than I thought, graphics were pretty good. I did not weigh it, but when DHL delivered it to my wife, she thought they forgot to put the frame in box. I rode it for the first time today so take that into account when you read this. I have been riding about 10 years. My riding style is alot of standing on the climbs, but I usually pedal through rough sections seated. I am 6" 2' and 190 lbs. Today's ride was 2 hrs on loose gravel/sand fire roads with a small bit of singletrack. I didn't notice any unusual, or any more flex in th BB compared to my other 10+ frames. Very comfortable ride. I rode through ruts today seated that I usually stand for. Nothing wierd in handling the bike. I felt comfortable on it after about 3 minutes. Seatpost didn't slip. I will post again in a month or so. Feel free to contact me with questions.

Purchased At:   airborne direct

Similar Products Used:   KHS, Cannondale, Specialized, Schwinn, Breezer, Nishiki, GT

Bike Setup:   20", XT/XTR, Manitou MARS, Easton, Cane Creek, Time, Kenda, Selle italia, Race Face, Bontrager

Submitted by arjan a Cross Country Rider from rijnsburg

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    flex in frame, light, beautiful

Weaknesses:    seat post clam (?) broke very soon after i bought the bike

Bottom Line:
buying from the internet is scary because you're not shure what you get, but this one i am not going to send back! I like the flex in the frame-enough suspension for me (who needs sups. in the Netherlands??) and it's very light compared to what I've ridden before

Purchased At:   airborne direct

Similar Products Used:   be-one weblite (stiff alu), santos scc 03

Bike Setup:   xt, sid, easton riser bar, bontrager mustang

Submitted by Bill from Allentown PA.

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review of my bike build.I have finally
finished building my corsair and I am delighted to give a
good preliminary review of it's riding characteristics.I am a heavy weight@230 Lbs.and as it is true of some flex in the bottom bracket it is not even worth mentioning let alone being concerned about it.It rides and handles great.
I'm no expert on titanium but i am an experienced rider and qualified to say the difference between Ti and Alum. in riding character is phenomenal.This frame is an excellent
value and strong as well.You cannot go wrong even if you
paid 1000.00.It's in there!Looking forward to a great summer of long distance riding with my corsair.
P.S. It's worth high end components no doubt.

Purchased At:   Air Borne Direct

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Allentown

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Strengths:    I haven't gotten to ride it so I cannot comment on the ride.
I'm still building it.From what I can see I'm Impressed with the quality of the welds and the construction of the bike.I quess I'm using another competitor as a ruler.I have gotten way more than I expected.The web sight does not do justice to the quality and beauty of the bikes geometry.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of till I finish the build and ride it for a while.

Bottom Line:
I hope"The Ride" is worth the components. I weigh 225 and the Rep.at Air Borne said I'll have this bike for ever and
the weight is not a problem. I do alot of long distance riding and an all around good ride in any condition is exactly what I need. The reviews seem to support the Rep.!
I've been riding a 98'Trek 7000 for 3.5 yrs.,I hope this is an Improvement in weight and stregnth and qualiy of the ride I'm searching for. I've already spent double the money
I have in the Trek. If anyone has good or bad advice on this frame,please E-Mail me at larraby@enter.net ;I will have to post a follow-up after riding it a while.Thanks MTB Review for this site,has been a real asset to learning more about the thing I love,Mountain Biking!!!

Favorite Trail:   Along Lehigh and Delaware Rivers and all point in between

Purchased At:   Air Borne Direct

Similar Products Used:   My first titanium bike.So I'm learning more as I go.I researched before making a decision on Air Borne Corsair.
I made the best decision based on quality,warranty,and price.

Bike Setup:   XTR Drive Train,Race Face Crank and BB,Chris King Head Set,Easton Scandium Bars,Xt shifters,Avid Brakes and Levers,
Ritchey Z.E.D. on Mavic 517.Waiting on Judy forks.USE Seat Post.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Evergreen, Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Strengths:    The value is most notably this frames best feature. Where else can one purchase a ti-frame that weighs about 3.5 lbs for under 600 clams.

Weaknesses:    I have noticed a fair amount of flex laterally but this is to be expected for a larger rider that likes to grind on a ti-frame. Although I am pleased to say I have not been able to cause the chain to ghost shift due this flex.

Bottom Line:
Are looking for a ti racing rig for under two grand then Airborne's Corsair will not disappoint, you could spend more but why?

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Airborne.direct

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed

Bike Setup:   XTR with Bongtrager race lite parts and wheels. AMP F3 carbon fork and carbon seatpost. This bike weighs an honest 21 lbs and 6 oz.

Submitted by KC a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Strengths:    great price, geometry, unpolished finish

Weaknesses:    flex for heavier riders, unpolished finish

Bottom Line:
The frame weight turns out to be heavier than first anounced by Airborne, somewhere around 3.4 lbs for the 16 inch frame. This is only slightly lighter than the Lucky Strike at 3.5 lbs. My bike weighs an honest 23.5 lbs. on a digital scale.

The frame comes in a gun metal grey looking finish which, depending on your taste, is either very cool looking or bare-bones/lackluster. In any case, it does not have the typical "Ti polished look" of the Lucky Strike, Litespeed or Merlin. Welds are pretty decent.

Geometry is the same as the Lucky Strike, meaning its pretty awesome carving up the singletrack and flying through the technicals.

What the frame sacrifices to enter a lower price point from the Lucky (other than the finish)is stiffness at the BB maybe due to the absence of any shaped tubing.
at 170 lbs, I notice a fair amount of flex when I stand and hammer the cranks on the middle ring.

To be fair, at my weight I think I should be considering the Lucky Strike instead. But for those who are lighter, this budget Ti frame could be your answer.

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR Drivetrain, SX-R fork, Hugi 240/Valiant wheelset, Easton Carbon bar and post, 2.1 Fire-XC tires.

Submitted by Alex a Racer from Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Strengths:    Weight, loads lighter then the Lucky Strike. The 14 in. weighs under 3 lbs. Looks. Finish. It's relatively cheap for Ti. It's Titanium!

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I would recomend this frame to anyone willing to pay the price! I love it, it's my favorite frame ever! This frame is for the XC rider/racer willing to sacrifice a few bucks to lose weight.

Favorite Trail:   Dan's

Similar Products Used:   Steel and Aluminum. Neither compare.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Corsair frame, Rock Shox SID Race '00, XT throughout. Time ATAC Carbon clipless pedals, Avid brakes. Bontrager seat.

09 CORSAIR MAELSTROM ...need help!

whats up guys.. looks like these two pinch bolts from the clamshell around the bb jumped ship somewhere along my travels.. ...seemed to have been working fine, just visually noticed them missing... I've read that they were all initially overtightened from factory and needed to be backed off a bit.. ... Read More »

First downhill bike Corsair?

So I am looking at getting my first downhill bike and I know a guy selling a Corsair Crown that's in my price range. I have seen good and bad reviews on this bike. The bike is setup and the suspension has been tuned. It hasn't been rode a lot and in good condition. What do you guys think of this ... Read More »

Corsair Bikes - customer service

Hi guys, On Corsair's fcebook page there was an entry which stated: "Rumour has it that Pablo has given up with Corsair, dont place any orders....." Does anyone have any updates on this? A lot of guys have been trying to contact Corsair via facebook regarding spares etc and are having no ... Read More »

Corsair Marque ??

Hey I was just curious to hear from those people who have or have had the Corsair Marque. How well does the frame/suspension hold up over time to water and mud and rock? I heard from some people that the idler pulley on some of the older models is a possible trouble spot. Are there any other area ... Read More »

Corsair Maelstrom?

Just came across this bike and it looked impressive but cannot seem to find much feedback on them. I was all set on a '11 SX Trail 2 but with this lineup wasn't sure if it was a better route.....any ideas? New 2009 for $2900 with the specs below ......any feedback is appreciated :D Marzocchi Roc ... Read More »