Airborne 2001 Lucky Strike Frameset

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)

• Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame
  • Multi-shaped Cold Worked Seamless Titanium Tubing
  • Integrated Disc Brake Mount / Machined Head Tube
  • GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) engineered seat and chain stays.
  • Sizes: 14,16,18, 19.5 & 21”

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Glenn Coulter a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    stiff frameset ,decals groovy ,hydrolic pipe guides,under top tube routing,good sizing of frames,web site awesome

Weaknesses:    finish on frame a bit odd dull!

Bottom Line:
    This is a bike I feel like I have been riding all my life or should have been! its fast resonsive easy to ride comfy to ride its truly a thorougbred machine go buy one it cant be beat!!

Favorite Trail:   dupin

Purchased At:   dooleys cycles

Similar Products Used:   eagle,giant etc etc

Bike Setup:   lucky strike frame,shimano 16 spoke wheels,hope m4's,full XTR groupset raceface prodogy, bars-seatpost-stem.raceface headset,specialized comp saddle rock shox pyslo forks.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Ukiah, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff in BB, but nice ti ride.
    Beefy looks, nice finish.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    The only sub thousand dollar ti frame that is suitable for riders over 165 lbs(I'm 185). Due to my limited aerobic capacity I tend to hammer more than spin and the BB area on this frame is perfectly stiff. Handles great, very stable (for a XC hardtail) on fast descents yet allows me to pick tighter lines than my previous bike. Just yesterday I cleaned a downhill, slow, off-camber switchback that I normally click out for. Frame is perfectly straight and the welds are real nice. It only took a few rides to realize that this may be my last hardtail and after my first long ride I felt at home like I'd ridden the lucky strike for years. If you're a light rider and a lottery winner buy a merlin or a seven, they're works of art, or you can pay double for a litespeed. Personally I like a stiff bike, but was tired of getting beat up by aluminum and I don't like rear suspension without a throttle. Straight guage ti tubing turned out to be perfect, and I believe the more expensive double butted bikes would ride like noodles. If you're light buy a corsair, they're less expensive and my friend and fiancee just bought two and they both love 'em. Also, great customer service at airborne-these guys ride alot and actually answer the phone. If you are in NORCAL purchase from San Anselmo Cycles, GREAT SERVICE! Buy it.

Favorite Trail:   007, lake mendo

Purchased At:   San Anselmo Cycles

Similar Products Used:   various alum and steel hardtails-bontrager, can-o-ale, klein,gt,specialized m2.

Bike Setup:   marzocchi z2 atom race,race face,xt,xtr,mavic,king blah blah blah.

Submitted by Nik Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Glasgow, Scotland, UK

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    Ti ride, very individual, good acceleration, good looks

Weaknesses:    flexy top tube, could be a weakness, but actuall helps the ride once you get used to it. helps push the bike into corners.

Bottom Line:
    fast frame, not bad weight, good value and quality ride. certainly a bike I shall keep for a very long time.

Favorite Trail:   hidden trails at Coed-y-Brenin

Purchased At:   Bike2001, Birmingham NEC

Similar Products Used:   Cannondales, fishers, marins.....

Bike Setup:   Pace EVO3's, hope disks, use, middleburns, XTR, SRAM, hope wheels, Monkeylites.

Submitted by Robert Carmen a Racer from Granby, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    The customer support is the best, the frame workmanship is outstanding, and the price is unbeatable!

Weaknesses:    The weakness is that it's a newer company-so some people put them down. People who dont know the frames and dont know the company have a tendancy of putting em down with no support of thier negative opinions. If they took an Airborne out for a ride their opinions would change.

Bottom Line:
    The Lucky Strike is outstanding!!!! I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for the last hardtail you'll ever need. Very durable, tight, not too flexy, not to rigid. It's perfect! Corrosion control is the best on a Ti frame too. I have the 16" and it weighed even less then Airborne spec'd it. 3.4lbs.

I raced for 2 years in Florida back in 1995, 1996 on my Jamis Dakar. I also did Mt. Snow in 95, and 96, and Helen GA in 95. The 95 Dakar is a great design, but I wanted a Ti frame to see what all the hype was about.

I just started racing again June 26, 2001 on the Lucky Strike. Took 1st place last week and moved up this week into sport & took 1st place again, in Easthampton, MA Thursday Nights. I am getting faster every day of riding, as I am getting used to being on a hard tail. I'm 5'9" and 155lbs.

It's much more direct when you peddle than being on a full suspension too = more efficient.

Talking to the guys at Airborne, I could immediately see that they are very nice, down to earth people who treat their customers like friends. Thanks Jeremy & Michael.

Any questions? drop me a line Exxtrmmst@aol.com

Favorite Trail:   The Notch, Granby, MA

Purchased At:   Airborne Direct

Similar Products Used:   This is my first Ti Frame.

Bike Setup:   OK so I'm old school. But I'm changing things this week. RST - MOZO 3.5" travel, Paul's Brakes, Pauls Front/Rear Deraileurs (still work great), TNT Ti HUBS/Bottom Bracket. These were my sponsors back in 1995/1996. (Took 5 years off of racing) New Mavic 618 Ceramic Rims, Mosquito Air Lite 2.0 tires, Kooka Cranks, King Headset, Richey Stem, Ringle Moby Post, Grip Shift with 8 speed.

Submitted by roland boon from Brussels

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Strengths:    geometry, seems to be indestructible, weldings, stiffness AND confort, lightness, price, look

Weaknesses:    poor quality of the (beautifull) decals. It seems that aiborne has solved that problem now with a new process

Bottom Line:
    If you are a long distance rider and don't want to spend a lot of money on FS, this one is for you.
    I have ridden around 2.500 miles in the belgian mud and on rocky tracks and the frame still looks like a brand new one, except the decals. I have lost one of the two chicks on the top tube. I have told Airborne europe and they have send me new ones (decal not a girl). The price was around 880 euros , shipping included. Live time warranty is a good idea, because i intend to keep that frame for a long long long time.

Purchased At:   web

Similar Products Used:   stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   SID XC 01, Mavic CrossRide ceramic (best value !!), Avid arch rival 50, XT transmission

Submitted by Leo a Cross Country Rider from S. Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Strengths:    durability, hill climbing, frame finish, customer service, low price

Weaknesses:    none ,so far!

Bottom Line:
    I have this bike for 2 and a half years and have no problems with the frame. I've put 1600 miles on it on So Cal trails riding with Merlin and Dean owners. I've also packed it up for rides on family vacations to Jackson WY, Moab UT and Phoenix AZ. It climbed great on the Slickrock Trail.) The TI finish is great: it won't scratch or rub off. (I wish I could afford one of their road bikes.)

Purchased At:   Airborne web site

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Gary Fisher Paragon

Bike Setup:   SRAM drivetrain, Rock shox Indy SL w/ Englund air inserts, Raceface cranks & rings, ATAC pedals

Submitted by Ron Gallus a Weekend Warrior from Vacaville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2001

Strengths:    The tail has a very compliant ride whilst remaining stiff for climbing. The rear drop outs are quite robust with excellent welds throughout. Bent stays make for excellent clearance for feet and tires. The decals are low profile and actually enhance the beauty of the bike, unlike the unremovable glaring neon billboard style that major manufacturers use.

Weaknesses:    Lateral stiffness suffers slightly on the front end which could be the result of the squished tube at the head. The bottom bracket threads were not completely cleaned (factory) prior to installation and I had some annoying creaking for a few rides.

Bottom Line:
    If you want a bike that won't rust, looks very nice (although somewhat typical in geometry), great decals, great price and warranty, then get a Lucky Strike. Steel is nice but Ti is better. It appears robust enough so that it could survive major jumping. With a bike like this you don't have to say anything, they just know.

Purchased At:   Airborne web site

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Super Comp (hand built), Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   SID 80, Interloc bar/stem/seatpost/prototype wheelset; Avid brakes; King headset; Shimano components elsewhere

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    frame strength and great feel. I am a BIG guy (6'3" 250lbs) and this frame will take all the abuse I can give it. Also has a great feel when climbing/descending.

Weaknesses:    No Clear coat on the graphics---VERY minor but still it would help it look better longer.

Bottom Line:
    I was a litte skeptical at first due to the great price for a ti frame but this bike rules! This is the best bike I have owned. I am a big guy who dosen't always pick the best lines but this bike never complains. I would recommend this frame to anyone. Depending on how you configure it, you can have a superlight bike or a super bullet proof bike. The ti material gives a great feel without being harsh--bewarned, once you go ti you will never want to go back! The service is unparalled. It is simply the best! Always willing to help. I ride both road and mtb and I will buy their road frame soly based on the excellent expierience I have had with airborne.

Favorite Trail:   pipeline

Purchased At:   airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Mine is built with grimeca disc brakes, XTR cranks, SRAM, and race face.

Submitted by Richard Jodoin a Racer from Boucherville, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    Price, Titanium quality ride, Airborne's top notch service, weight. The frame's welds are high quality. It shows how much pride is put into the building of the frame.

Weaknesses:    I'm still thinking.

Bottom Line:
    Anyone looking to upgrade their frame or entire bike should consider Airborne first. Low prices, very high quality and excellent service make them the best possible choice.

Favorite Trail:   all of Mont Sainte-Anne

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Kona HeiHei

Bike Setup:   2001 Sid Race, SRAM 9.0 products, Race Face headset and crank, Spinergy Xyclone wheelset, XTR brakes, Kore stem, Easton Monkeylite riser bar, ...

Submitted by D S a Racer from Greensboro

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive,good flex,feels sturdy

Weaknesses:    the decals are put on cheap, but the chick in the red bathing suit is close to the stem and protected, aireborne does not give as many amenities when you buy the frame as compared to full set up.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike a an excellent price, After riding on my one bike for three years I had been dreaming about a TI frame for some time. I wanted to get a lightspeed but the toccoa was 1,800. the cheapest one they had was the pisgah was nearly 500.00 more than the airborne. as for the merlin's and seven-forget about it. after much debate I went with the airborne. I also purchased the rockshox '01 sid sl from them which was at a good price compared to online bike stores. Ti frames are great. my alluminum frame beat me so bad that I had to use a suspension seat post. the Ti offers enough flex that I don't need one. in the two months I've own this bike I have put about 300 miles of off road riding and one race. the only problem I had was the stickers are scraping off.
    People speak bad about the bike because it is made in China and you should by American. Just remember where shimano comes from. another problem I had before purchasing was the fact that Huffy is owns Airborne. But then Ford owns Volvo, jaguar, and Land Rover. I'm not one to talk bad about other bikes and the litespeed is a great bike but extra 1,200 just to pose went against my reason I ride. Airborne is a great with good customer service

Purchased At:   airborne.net