Aegis ProAxe Frameset

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Aegis ProAxe

Submitted by stephen a Cross Country Rider from new mexico

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    craftsmanship, ridged (but not too much), quick, agressive geometry,

Weaknesses:    not a one so far

Bottom Line:
this frame is the BOMB, 1st of all could i get a better price, then when i rode it i was like OMG, this thing is fast, i got bad knees and back and it was stiff, but somewhat forgiving!!! i love riding my bike so so much now. it now seems as if i have a bike the responds better the faster and harder that i ride it. SAVE YA PENNIES AND GET ONE

Purchased At:   going out of business sale

Similar Products Used:   none can compare, i have owned a homegrown, trek 8000, and G.F super caliber

Bike Setup:   chris king hubs, headset, race face cranks, crank bros egg-beaters, everything else xtr

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Frederick, MD

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Strengths:    resilient, exotic, low-shock, aggressive geometry, nice drop-outs and beefy anti-chainsuck device.

Weaknesses:    pricey, flexable, paint chips somewhat easily, 4+ lbs.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike without even riding it. I was convinced that it would offer just the right amount of compliance and responsiveness. It delivered a little of both.
The geomtery is exactly where I wanted it; a longish top-tube and front-center, not a wimpy head angle. Technical climbing on this bike was great, I always felt comfortable transitioning between seated and standing. The shock was smoothed, and my cadence wasn't broken.
The only trouble I perceived (real or imaginary) was on techinical downhill or twisty-fast riding. I just never felt confident and controlled. It seemed like the bike lagged in phase just a few degrees. I now ride a Klein, and that problem is corrected.

Favorite Trail:   up, up, up

Similar Products Used:   frames: Mongoose chromoly, Cannondale alum., Klein alum.

Bike Setup:   fork: '99 Manitou sx carbon; wheels: xtr/517, IRC mythos

Submitted by Josh Burke a Racer from Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, Resiliant, Beutiful, Fast, Light, Snappy, Balanced, Easily Controlled. Are all inside the Aegis frames from their Pro Axe to the Trident. The bike is great in the tecnical sections, and is built like a horse. Easy to change your weight and handles like an extention of your body. Keeps great traction and climbes very well.

Weaknesses:    Not as light as some carbon frames, and is a little slower on the reflexes but the bike builds up to be great for racing and long long riding.

Bottom Line:
This bike handles really well on technical and inclined trails because it was created in my home state of Maine, one of the most technical, and wet places on the east side of the United States. It was designed for the beating that we put on bikes out here, and the mud that we force the to go through. Its balance is great for making it up those really steep climbes, and it is stable enough that you can bomb down the other side. My bike shop was onr of the first distributors of Aegis and we have alot of racers on our team that use them in the New England Championships. Keith (the owner of Aegis) knows that a lifetime warranty is important and consumers depend on his product.
The reason that we have hooked so many people on Aegis is that the are fun to ride they give you that feeling you got on your first mountaine bike ride. You know what Im talking about, that sense of excitement, pleaser, and confidence. They restore what we all ride to gain back, what we all search for in the perfect ride. The confidence that the ProAxe give you is incredible you feel like you can climb walls of mud covered roots, that you can twist through the tightest single track without any effort.
The ProAxe has the feel of a steel bike with the speed of aluminum, its very ight and very fast and will make you feel like your the only rider on the trail.
Good Riding and Good Trails
Keep Riding
**B-M**

Favorite Trail:   Roadies Hell

Similar Products Used:   I ride alot of aluminum so I guess I could put down the Zaskar, Trek 8900, and I have ridden the 9900 from Trek.

Bike Setup:   Sid-SL, XTR, Crossmax.

Submitted by Keefer,G a Racer from AUSTIN TX 78745

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2000

Strengths:    Carbon fiber(bomb proof as far as the natural elements go)Stiffer than expected(not aluminum,thankfully) descends like a banshee, climbs like a bat out of purgatory. Corners and accelerates like no other I have ridden.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Though if cosmetic is a weakness, then the finish however beautiful it is, is extremely delicate, at least for Texas riding, you scrub and tumbleweeds... But the paint seems to mark easily. But whatever, doesn't effect the way it rides, and it isn't that delicate.

Bottom Line:
I have only ridden this thing for less than a month, but I am in LOVE. I cant say enough good about the PROAXE. I am unsure of the longhaul, but AEGIS seems to be pretty confident of their product,so I feel comfortable with their warranty, which is lifetime against defects from their end and crash replacement warranty if you mess it up on your own accord. I WILL update this after the season is over. Also waiting for Dirtrags PART TWO Review on the PROAXE. I love riding this bike. The ProAxe makes me want to push myself harder and ride even longer. I can hardly wait to push it to the limits and see if she can hang. A note to the MTB Review Article regarding stiffness, I haven't ridden the Klein, but if it's any stiffer than this, I dont think I would want it. Check out their site, these guys know what they are doing.

Favorite Trail:   still searching......

Similar Products Used:   I dont know about similar, but started with a 94 Kona Lavadome, then two Zaskars. This is the first Carbon Fiber anything I have purchased, besides the front end of my road frame.

Bike Setup:   99 SXTI, XTR, NOTOS TIRES on 4 year old Sealed GT Hubs..

Submitted by Aaron Lowe a Racer from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1999

Strengths:
Quick, relatively light, absorbs knee destroying jolts, climbs like a dream, and basically handles better than everything I've ridden.

Weaknesses:
Paint tends to come off easily.

Bottom Line:
I took this bike out for the first time in March and couldn't believe how easy everything was. I was climbing and whippin through technical single-track like it was nothing. It's acceleration is amazing. Everyone who test rides it comments on how fast it accelerates. Even riders who ride stiffer/less forgiving bikes say the ProAxe is fast.
The geos make this a great technical climber and the frame keeps the traction over rocks and roots.Overall, this actually feels like an extension of my body instead of a machine that I'm pedalling. I read the Mountain Bike magazine review between the Aegis and Klein. They felt the Klein was a better bike because it is stiffer. I personally wouldn't want a stiffer bike. I like being able to race my bike for a couple hours and enjoy it without being beatin' up. If I wanted a stiff bike, I would've gotten an aluminum. I love the feel of the Aegis and wouldn't trade it for anything. Plus I feel a lot better knowing I have a lifetime warranty on my bike and I don't have to worry about what I'm going to do once it starts getting fatigued.The paint comes off pretty easy, but since it's usually covered with dirt, it doesn't bother me enough to give it any less than a 5 rating.

Richland County Forest