Access FS01 Frameset

Weight : 6.0 lbs MSRP : $299.00

At just 6.0 lbs. w/rear shock, the Access FS-01 is a true lightweight contender on long climbs, and with its rigid design & stiff machined alloy rocker, it instantly converts your energy into race-winning sprints, speedy ascents, or blazing downhill speeds!

Low maintenance Delrin bushings and cartridge bearing pivots combine performance, durability, serviceability & lightweight, and the gusseted head tube and reinforced seat mast add strength and reliability – you can have all the benefits of a full suspension ride, without the worry of durability or service issues!

Submitted by Randy a Weekend Warrior from Irvine, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Strengths:    Price, light weight, decent geometry, RockshoX Sid with Lockout

Weaknesses:    Poor paint job, bushings used everywhere though sealed bearings are used for main suspension pivots, really tight rear tire clearance between chainstays, odd seatpost size (30.4mm).

Bottom Line:
This frame was originally selling for $399. When Supergo reduced the price to $249, I couldn't resist. Hey, that's about what you would pay for the shock alone.

Assembly was pretty straightforward except for the BB and crank. If you go with an XT crank and BB, you will find that the 68x113 BB doesn't give you enough chain clearance and the chain will just rub the head of the rear pivot bolt. AARGH. While the 68x118 still gives you a chainline of less than 50mm, the chain really snakes around if you ever cross-chain. No problems whatsoever when you're in the small and middle chain rings, though I wish Shimano would offer something between the 113 and 118 spindle widths they now offer or go to an adjustable chain line BB.

The rear shock was originally mounted with the lockout valve up towards the seatstay. Two problems: the valve would hit the seatstay gussets so you could not open it fully and the gussets made it difficult to attach a pump to the air valves. Once I swapped ends and mounted it with the lockout valve facing towards the suspension link, both problems were solved.

I have the rear shock set up a little on the stiff side and it doesn't bob noticeably. The SL fork comes set at 100 mm and I'm thinking of trying it at the 80 mm setting to see if it makes much of a difference in stability though I rode the Backbone trail today with some 2-3 foot drops and was glad to have the extra front travel though I wished I had more than 2.75" in back.

I originally ran Michelins but the clearance between the chainstays was so tight that any tweak in the rim would cause interference. The 2.1 Panaracers gave me a bit more clearance though I may try 2.0 Hutchinsons when I wear them out.

The bike weighs in at 26.5 lbs and after 350 miles no problems so far except for the paint chipping. Buy it if you are looking for a really reasonably priced lightweight XC frame. Forget it if you punish your equipment.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Rocket 88, Specialized FXRxc, Giant NRS

Bike Setup:   All XT drivetrain, SRAM PC69 chain, RockshoX Judy SL fork and FSA headset, Easton EA50 seatpost, Selle seat, Panaracer Fire XC Pros and Mavic rims, Avid SD5 brakes, Raceface riser bar and SysTem, XT levers.

Submitted by Mike Burwell a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Strengths:    Geometry, SID XC Shock, Low Weight (18" frame digitally weighed in at 5.5 lbs even), ease of setup.

Weaknesses:    Paint -> cheap

Bottom Line:
This is an update on my previous review now that I have been riding the bike regularly since after Christmas. I love this frame. I recommend it anyone. As stated above, Supergo should be emabarrased they let this paint job out on the street. I have little silver dots (bare alu) all on the down tube and chain stay after only a few months of riding XC. I'll powder coat it next year for $50-$60 at a local shop and end the madness. Otherwise this is the deal of a lifetime for anyone who wants a great FS XC machine. I highly recommend purchasing it. Price is a joke. Grab while they still offer it for cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Ute Valley/Rampart/Capn Jacks

Purchased At:   Suprgo

Bike Setup:   Bike weighed in at exactly 25.5 pounds after I built it all up.

Submitted by Mike Burwell a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Strengths:    Price, Price, Price, Light Weight, Comfortable Geometry, Low-bob on climb, Frame Stiffness, good shock selection, frankly - you cannot go wrong with this frame if you want to upgrade from hardtail to dual suspension!

Weaknesses:    Paint is thin and chips easily, Odd size seatpost - have to buy a shim to make it work, Yellow local sticker on frame is dumb, Supergo customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Only one example: they gave me a bad suggestion on BB spindle size. Don't go with 68x110mm make sure you buy 113! This created yet another trip to my local bike store.

Bottom Line:
Old bike: Trek 9800 OCLV carbon. I'm 5-10 and 185. Haven't hit my favorite trail yet since I just built the bike up over the weekend. But so far I am happy with the results and the bike feels great. Once I got the shim ($8) didn't care about the odd size seat post. On the supergo site a guy complained about bad cable routing but I don't know what he's talking about. You just need extra cable housing to accomodate the frame (I had to use about 10' of housing). But routing is about as straight as I've seen on any bike. I'll post another after I've broken this ride in for a few months. Don't be afraid to build your own bike - get help on the headset and ride on!

Favorite Trail:   Ute Valley