Access ALU Frameset

4.36/5 (95 Reviews)
Weight : 3.98 lbs

The big 51mm diameter butted downtube is the backbone for our new set of lightweight round tubing with flawless TIG welds throughout. The 71/73degree geometry ensures a balanced, predictable, and agile ride.

We didn't compromise on the finish either. The powder coated epoxy paint finish is flawless, even, and scratch-resistant. Powder coat painting it is also more environmentally friendly!

Submitted by beston a Cross Country Rider from Waterdown, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2008

Strengths:    Durability
Low-Weight!
Price
Good way to get into bike building

Weaknesses:    I'm sure there's better out there, but not at this price.

Doesn't seem to climb as well as some other bikes I've tried.

Not as comfy as full-suspension XC

Bottom Line:
Good all around frame.

I've been happy to have picked up this frame before it was discontinued. It is really light weight for the price (3.5lb). You'd really have to spend a lot more to beat this frame.

The frame does require an 80mm fork. I tried a 100mm (Manitou Skareb) fork and could not steer straight up modest inclines (you feel like a drunk driver).

It also doesn't seem to be the best climber out there. It does alright, but I always feel like I'm shifting my weight around to try to keep traction to the wheels (More so than the other hardtails I've ridden). This could just be due to the setup(?). The GT I've ridden goes up the same inclines like a billy-goat.

While it is a pretty comfortable bike, it is no where near as compliant as some other Full-suspension XC bikes I've test ridden. This could be due to the SID up front too.

But where it shines...
It's fast. I love passing people on this bike.

The quality. This bike has been ridden hard and has held up just as well as the expensive frames out there.

You get to build it. It's a fun hobby after all.

Favorite Trail:   Squeezer ride

Similar Products Used:   Brodie Energy, GT Zaskar, Thin Blue Line Hurricane

Bike Setup:   Mix of XT and LX drive train. RS SID Team 80mm (2002), Mavic 221 Wheelset. XT V-Brakes.

Submitted by Chris S a Cross Country Rider from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff, looks, paint/clearcoat, inexpensive

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 03 Access XCL.The newer Access XCL's have different tube butting and cable braze ons, and I will eventually pick one of these up too.I still see the 03 style hanging up at a few Performance shops, who took over Supergo.I bought two of these frames at the same time because they were so cheap.I was going to buy the Kona Kula Deluxe but it was going to be too long of a wait for the new ones to come out in my size and they were out of the current ones, so I thought what the heck the Access is so cheap I'll ride it, wait for the new Kona, then throw it away.Well fast forward three years and I'm still on it :)It rides the same as my other more expensive aluminum hardtail frames of the past with the same geometry.I was actually caught by the looks of this frame at the time, the bright red with nice clear coat and simple decals underneath looked very pleasing to me.The really old Access ALU frames with their funky decals were just really gaudy looking, but the newer frames look waaaay better, and I think the 06 decals look the best yet.It fun to drop others on a climb riding waaay more expensive framesets, and the way I have this built up its definately a conversation starter at the parking lot.Until I move to a carbon frameset (if I do), I will continue to ride these frames, and reccomend them for those on a budget, not on a budget, or that want to be a little different :)

Favorite Trail:   All local Orage County

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Specialized, Orbea

Bike Setup:   O3 Access XCL, 07 Manitou R7 Super with clickIT remote,XTR 952 rear, XT front, XTR STM-952 Brake/Shifter(tuned), FSA Team Carbon Cranks, Rohloff Chain, King headset, FSA OS-115 Stem, FSA K-Force Carbon flatbar, FSA Carbon seatpost, WTB Shadow-V stealth saddle, Ergon grips, Mavic X517, XT hubs, XT cassette, Maxxis tires with stans rim strips

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Loudon,NH

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Strengths:    This is for the 2006 XCL frame. This frame is super light at 3.7 lbs. The welds are nicely done and the paint is super smooth. I haven't noticed any paint chipping like others have posted here. I've just got the normal scratches and chips you would get with any mountain bike.

Bottom Line:
I you want a light quality XC racing bike without having to spend $2500 for it, then buy this frame and build it up with some sweet parts. I've got about $1100 in this bike
and it weighs in at just over 23 pounds. Try buying that at your LBS for $1100. This bike just rocks and climbs like
a goat. I've gotten many comments on how great the bike looks. I've also gotten some snooty looks from some because it isn't a "name" brand. Once I blow by them or drop them on a climb, the look turns to envy.

Favorite Trail:   Carr Ridge-Bear Brook State Park

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Access XCL frame, Rock Shox 2006 SID Race Fork, XT drivetrain, brakes

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Northern Ca

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    Priceis right, weight

Weaknesses:    Finish is not so durable

Bottom Line:
Great price on a light hardtail frame. the bike as set up climbs well and handles very good. It goes downhill as well as you would expect a short travel hardtail should. The frame does not feel as stiff as a Cannondale hartail, but what does?

A nice frame that I managed to build up into a bike that weighs just over 22lbs using spare parts.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale CAAD 4

Bike Setup:   CK-Bontrager Racelite wheels, Mars fork, CK headset, Easton CT2 flat bar, Thomson stem and post, SLK XP saddle, Sram 9.0 SL shifters and deraileur, Paul Love Levers, Avid SD Ti brakes, Coda crankset, Dura Ace BB, Ultegra cassette.

Submitted by Marquis a Weekend Warrior from SoCal, USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Cheap, Good geometry, replaceable dropout.

Weaknesses:    Paint? But who cares - it's a mountain bike. I usually can't see the paint through the mud and dust.

Bottom Line:
Great solid, light frame on which to base a fast hardtail build-up. Cheap and so far unbreakable. Nice sensible layout and easily compatible with every component I've added.

Favorite Trail:   El Moro Canyon

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Various Specialized, Iron Horse, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Access frame and an ever-changing cast of components.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from SLC, Utah

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2005

Strengths:    Light, stiff frame. Very smooth on roads and trails.

Weaknesses:    None yet other than the ugly graphics which I fixed as described below.

Bottom Line:
Nice frame for 51 bones. I had been riding a heavy CrMo for way too long and decided to not sink a ton of bones into a frame that I may or may not like. I am very happy with this frame. I agree the graphics are ugly but $8 on eBay can buy you some nice carbon fiber vinyl graphic sticker that will cover it up nicely. I covered my downtube and top tube up and now it looks sweet, plus it tricks the other guys out thinking it is a carbon fiber mix frame and maybe helps them not feel as bad when I blow past them on the trails :)

Favorite Trail:   Canyon Rim Trail, Flaming Gorge

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Access ALU frame, Marzocchi Z1 fork, SRAM x.7 9sp shifters, x.9 rear der, XT front der, Vuelta XRP rims.

Submitted by George from Dublin,CA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2005

Strengths:    This review is for the new 2005 Access XCL frame. Great design, excellent welds, new tubing, rear disc brake mounts, great graphics, paint holds up well, definite improvement from the 03 Access.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses that I can find. My only concern is that the rear disc spacing on the new Access 05 model can easily accommodate a 6 inch or 160mm rotor. You can just barely get a 7 inch or 185mm in the new Access 05 model. The older Access 03 model would easily accommodate an 8 inch or 203mm rotor.

Bottom Line:
This frame is a great deal for $169. I have no complaints with the quality of this frame. I own three of these frames ( two 03's and one 05)and wouldn't sell any of them. These frames are designed for a 80mm and maybe a 100mm suspension fork. I have ridden alot of bikes over the last 20 plus years and this frame feels perfect. Supergo has got it right with this frame. Supergo has a great product line and I use many of their components too. For 05, Supergo has removed the Weyless name from their products and now just use a big S. This frame is a steal for the price.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Most hardtail and lots of suspension bikes and frames.

Bike Setup:   Access 05 XCL 18 inch black frame with Avid mechanicals, Truvativ cranks, Hadley hubs, Shimano LX shifters, Cane Creek 3G suspension seatpost, Mavic rims, Supergo carbon fiber MTB riser bar.

Submitted by jason martin a Cross Country Rider from huntington beach ca usa

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2005

Strengths:    very lite,cool design, very affordable

Weaknesses:    pain job not powder coat.paint durability similar to liquid painted products.i am a powder coater.took me 30 seconds to strip off the paint.

Bottom Line:
i am a powder coater, so i wasnt conscerned with the durability of the finish.so for me, this was an outstanding buy.please dont let this paint job sway you from the durability of real powder coating.the difference is phenominal.night and day.after i painted mine metallic candy red, it looks great, and rides awesome.i love it.cant beat it for the money.

Favorite Trail:   san juan

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   gt, univega,trek,mongoose,amp

Bike Setup:   for my wife,all lx

Submitted by Daniel a Racer from Mobile, AL

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2005

Strengths:    its very light, strong and super stiff. Rides like other top brand hardtails. Has fast acceleration and precise cornering. Mines was built up to 25lbs with just LX components!

Weaknesses:    none,zip,zero,nada!

Bottom Line:
Fast as hell! There is virtually no better bike for the buck available. I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants to get into mountain bike racing. I mean I use it for everything! Cross Country, Singletrack, Slalom, and even some urban dirt jumping. If you're like me and just don't have the money for some freak'in $4000 mountain bike, and even if you do, BUY IT! You'll be glad that you did. I definitely am.

Similar Products Used:   Haro ICS 5.0, Salsa Bandito

Bike Setup:   complete LX drivetrain, Rockshox Judy XC, LX hubs on Sun
CR-18, Sette stem, handlebar, and seat, Weyless seatpost, and IRC Mythos XC 2.1"

Submitted by Majik from California

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    Total energizer bunny frame... Ive ran this frame for 4 years!! Its changed alot over the years.
From V-brakes to disc, Single crown forks from 80mm to a 130mm. Ive hit it hard and harder and then some. No squeeks or rattles ever! Carves singletrack like no other, never fades in a hard carving turn, always holds the line. No cracks or dents nor failing welds or seems! If your low on dough but want something that handles ANYTHING, buy this frame!
Ive replaced more failed componants (6 derailers, 3 wheelsets, 3 cranksets, 1 bottom bracket, 2 sets of shifters, tires... lots of tires, and cables? Who knows!)and the frame keeps going... unbeleivable!

Weaknesses:    -Big seat post (but can buy shims)Ive still use the original.
Weak rear hanger, but it always bends right back ;)

Bottom Line:
Today its all about the name. People put too much value on that sticker on your down tube. If you cant afford a $2000 name on your frame, but can afford good components build it yourself with this bike. Ive been doing this for 10 years and this bike is flawless as they come.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   2 Cannondale HT's, 1 Specialized HT, Specialized Bighit, Santa Cruz Bullit, Surly single. Fuji steel road frame converted to a rigid MTB.

Bike Setup:   Currantly: Mantinou Black 90/120 coil, V Brakes (XTR front XT rear)XT deraillers, Shimano cranks, sun ringle flat shin digger pedals...

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola, FL USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, low price, great handling.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easy, but you cant really complain much for the price and the otherwise great quality. The headtube had a slight dent in it when I opened the box, but a light "tap" with a ball pein hammer fixed it.

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame based on reviews here and I can say that I am very happy. The thing handles great, climbs like a rocket and feels like a bike I should have paid much more for. I also bought the silver one based on some of the other reviews and I am glad I did, the silver paint chips just as easy, but you dont see it. I dont know if they just started doing this because I havent seen anyone mention it, but in addition to the extra derailleur hanger they also sent a small bottle of touchup paint with the frame.

Similar Products Used:   '92 Raleigh Heat Technium, Manitou 1, 7 spd XT

Bike Setup:   Manitou Skareb Elite 80, XT drivetrain

Submitted by Chris Millar a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Strengths:    Inexpensive, color range, standard tubing sizes, light... very light for the price.

Weaknesses:    Like everyone says, the paint chips like crazy. Day one and my cables chipped the paint. I would seriously recomend getting the silver because it probably won't show the chips as bad. The cable hangers could be more precisely welded.

Bottom Line:
This bike really is the key to having an affordable custom built bikes. It may have its problems but if you get the silver/clear finish you may not notice the scratches as much.

I was looking at a Gary Fisher Tasajara but didn't want to spend the money. I ended up looking at various pawn shops for an older bike with good components. I ended up building my bike for about 350 and the components price out around 500-600 total. I have been very pleased with the ride on trails and am eaglerly anticipating to round out my new bike with a new fork.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   149.00

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Mt. Fuji (older), Rock Hopper, Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   Access XCL Frame, Mega 9 - Deore shifters/brakes/back derailer, Deore XT Front Derailer, Splined Hollowtech Cranks, RST Fork, Alex Rims.

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Dublin,CA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    This is the 2003 Supergo Access XCL aluminum hardtail 18" frame. This is an update. The frame still rides perfect after two years of hard use in all types of riding. It's well built to take abuse. You can put an 8" disc rotor in the rear. Welds are perfect and paint looks like new. You must use a 3" or 80mm fork on this frame. It's a XC frame.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I'm still amazed at the quality of this frame and for only $149.

Bottom Line:
I love this frame with it's 8" rear rotor capacity and a great quality ride. Supergo has a winner with this frame. I bought a second frame as a spare should I ever need one. It even comes with a five year warranty. Could you ask for more? I think not.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Most hardtails and alot of FS bikes.

Bike Setup:   Supergo Access XCL black 18" frame with Avid 185mm mechanical disc brakes, mostly shimano shifting, Truvativ Firex cranks, Hadley hubs (the best), Mavic 717 rims, Cane Creek Thudbuster.

Submitted by Steve O a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Strengths:    price, weight, geometry, cool color

Weaknesses:    graphics are ugly, a little flexy

Bottom Line:
I built the bike for my brother in-law. Fun lightweight frame. Great bang for the buck. The bike tracks good. No complaints really other than I wish it was stiffer. It hasn’t broke yet. With the right parts it sure makes for a fast, light ride.

Favorite Trail:   Stick In The Eye