Sun Bicycles Spider AT Fat Bikes

3.14/5 (7 Reviews)

The Spider AT, a cruiser on steroids that expands the limits of cruising the beach. No longer is the edge of the path the end of your ride. Massive 26 x 4in. tires and a vintage inspired Sturmey Archer kick shift 2-speed hub gives you high and low gearing to manage sand, pavement and anything in-between. These features coupled with a very unique moto cruiser design make for a real head turner of a bike that's both high style & function.

Submitted by dave ulrich

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2014

Strengths:    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    Bad hub design

Bottom Line:
Had this crappy bike for 2 weeks before the snap ring fell off and the sprocket disintegrated. Bike shop did not listed to me and replaced the hub, sprocket and snap ring. Went to brown county state park in ind. Half way through moderate trail the same thing happened. Only had this thing a month. I'm asking for a design change to the hub or my money back. What a piece of crap. There are people that own this bike and were mad. The only fix I have herd of is to replace the hub with a Shimano hub.

Submitted by Mark Platt

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2014

Strengths:    Great Bike When it Is Not In The Shop For Repair.

Weaknesses:    Rear Hub Keeps Breaking. I Want To Return For a Refund.

Bottom Line:
If They Fix The Rear Hub I Would Then Recomend.

Submitted by Steve Sand

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2014

Strengths:    This Bike looks cool and has a great comfortable ride. The stature it omits is awesome. People stop me in the streets to check it out. It is a beast and I loved the feel of the ride.

Weaknesses:    The 2 speed hub is very troublesome. I am actually surprised that no other reviews mention it. I had the bike for less than a year and had to have it serviced twice. The rear gears somehow strip within the hub housing and you are left to pedal aimlessly going nowhere. Being my 3rd bike and simply used for cruising the neighborhood it basically broke 2 of the 4 times I rode it. Thankfully the dealer I purchased it from was great and offered me a full store credit. Based on their feedback this was not an isolated incident. I also met another individual who had the same issue 4 times within a year. On both occasions it stripped under normal paved riding conditions. No major hills or heavy torque on the mechanism. Based on the consistent clanks and chunks sounds coming from the drive train I am not surprised it breaks. POOR DESIGN

Bottom Line:
A very cool ride that needs some basic better engineering of the rear hub. If I could get this same bike with a 5 speed sprocket I would recommend it all day long.

Submitted by Stormy 907

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2014

Strengths:    I live in Alaska in a flat area so I thought this two-speed would be great for the trails and the snowy and/or icey river. I was right -- it IS great!

Weaknesses:    Stock seat and handle bar are completely inappropriate for a bike that needs this much energy to move forward. They put rider in a relaxed position so the only way to really push is to stand and pedal.

Bottom Line:
I replaced the stock handlebar with a Jeff Jones H-Bar and got an old saddle from a road bike and voila! the perfect fun, go-anywhere-and-get-a-good-workout bike emerged. Now I sit in a comfortable, yet more aggressive position in the cockpit and this bike takes me miles on our snowy Kuskokwim river and on snowy trails and roads. The two gears are perfect -- in an hour I can get a workout that would take at least twice as long on a mountain bike -- if the mountain bike could go where this can (which sometimes it could, but usually it couldn't). I am a 125 pound female, 5'7" and with the after-market changes, I love this bike. It fits me great and is a fun ride. Don't know who the thing works for as it comes from the shop...

Submitted by Voyager AL

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight,at 40 lbs. The gearing is perfect for my neighborhood hills. Took it in the foot of snow we had, and it steered well, not the best traction. I aired the tires down to 10 psi. This will be a great trails bike. Im gonna take it into the woods over the weekend. Great bike for the price. My 18th bike in the fleet.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see as of now. hoping to add a Topeak rack, not sure the one on my Specialized Crossroads will fit. Ill look into it tomorrow. I added lights, so will do a night ride soon.

Bottom Line:
Overall I am really happy with this bike. I mostly ride rail trails in Pittsburgh areas. The looks draw alot of attention.

Submitted by Rubicon757

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    Not feather lite but it has an aluminum frame and only weighs 40 pounds.
The 26 x 4.0 tires that are 30 psi rolled great on the sand, grass and Boardwalk at the beach.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I could possibly think of was the front disc brake. I have never had disc brakes before so maybe I am just not used to it . . . it slowed me down but doesn't really have great stopping power.

Bottom Line:
I purchased 2 Sun Spider AT cruisers a few days ago for my gf and I. She didn't know I purchased them and when we got to the beach her first response was "what are those?? I can't ride that bike with those big a-- tires!!!". Ha Ha!!! We probably rode 3 hours on and off around the board walk. At the end of the day she loved it and wants to go again. The spider was fun to ride. After reading the two speed hub reviews that were mostly negative i was unsure if i would like them but it was easy to shift and the gf also commented it was easy to change gears. It rode nice on the Boardwalk, grass and sand. I purchased them to use mostly as a cruiser and for that they are excellent. With only two speeds I don't think they would be great for long trips but if you want to cruise the neighborhood or the beach its great and alot of fun.

Submitted by Drew69 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    Riding this bike puts a smile on my face and it is a real head turner. Good value, expensive for a beach cruiser but cheap for a fatbike which is appropriate because this bike lies somewhere in between the two. Spider tire tread looks cool in the sand

Weaknesses:    Heavy package with a puzzling bottom bracket. Rear drop outs are not spaced for mountain hubs. Kick shift is not buttery smooth. Chain stretch is disappointingly rapid.

Bottom Line:
I live in south west Florida 9 miles from a beach. This bike is a blast to ride and gets a lot of positive feedback from the masses at the beach. Riding this bike makes you feel like a badass. I have changed it around by adding a sportier saddle a 75 mm stem and FSA metropolis bars and I am really happy with my riding position. You have the option to add a front disc but with how I plow through salt water I'm not going to bother. The coaster brake is enough to stop for the speeds that I ride this at. I overhauled my front hub and headset with waterproof grease, plan on doing the rear and I would do the bottom bracket but I am having difficulties. The bottom bracket is a bmx style bb and spindle but the spindle has these spacers on it which make getting the the bb cups difficult. I have called j&b importers about how I go about removing the spacers but they are slow to respond. For what I planned to do with a fatbike this is perfect for me, shelling out for something else just to cruise at the beach was not logical.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Myers Beach

Purchased At:   Paradise Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Truvativ holzfeller stem FSA metropolis bars selle san marco arrowhead gel saddle

Sun Bicycles Spider AT

Did my first beach ride on the Spider today. It rained last night so the sand was really loose. The bike was great on the more firmly packed higher traffic areas but I struggled when it got really loose. Heavy bike but I had a great time. [IMG]http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/535234_29741 ... Read More »

Officer shot at Poison Spider Mesa trail, Moab

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101120/ap_on_re_us/us_park_officer_shot[/url]Read More »

Anyone had a 120RZ and an Intense Spider 2 or at least ridden both?

I'm just interested in comparisons and I'd love to hear your thoughts please...Read More »

Intense Spider 229 at Eurobike.

It was with some surprise (for me) that I read about Intense showing a version 2 of the Spider 29 at Eurobike. I would assume that they have addressed the problems people had with the first version. This bike interests me. Earlier this year I bought a Banshee Paradox as my first experiment with 2 ... Read More »

Looking at buying a Spider - how do I tell the year ?

Hi. I'm looking at buying an Intense Spider as my XC bike but can only stretch to a 2nd hand frame at the moment. What are the spec differences over the years/how do I tell between the different year frames, so I know I'm not buying a 2004 being sold as a 2008 etc. Were there any differences ? Is th ... Read More »