Specialized Fatboy Fat Bikes

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Specialized Fatboy 2014: All the fun of a fat bike with the performance of a Specialized. The Fatboy combines a lightweight frame and fork with 4.6

Submitted by tommillermn a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2014

Strengths:    weight, price, ride quality, 4.6" tires and 190mm hubs quickly becoming THE fatbike standard

Weaknesses:    10sp gripshift too fat for my small hands. Stems very short in all sizes.

Bottom Line:
I am a Specialized dealer, so I am somewhat biased, but I've also been on a Surly Pugsley since model year one and put thousands of miles on fatbikes in all conditions. Specialized did their homework and produced one of the best values in a fatbike out there. Features like the 4.6" tires mated to their own 95mm rims and 190mm hubs, and a carbon fork all mean they put out some serious effort to produce this bike.
I did swap out the stem for the reach I prefer as well as a slightly narrower bar with more bend and my favorite saddle. I was so disappointed in the 10sp gripshift. I could barely wrap my hands around them in warm weather and this was made worse with heavy gloves. I ride 9sp gripshift on my other bikes and had never had any problems. I swapped them out for some X-7's which have made things much more comfortable.
On the trail, this is the first fatbike I could actually stand up to pedal and not feel like it was a waste of time. Geometry is quick, which is good or bad depending on where you ride and who you are. There is a huge improvement in soft snow riding over the 4" tires I was previously on. Balance on the bike and handling is impeccable. After my last pinch flat in the rear, I did notice that the wide tires with 10-13psi in the rocks are actually much softer riding than the 8-10psi I regularly ran in Pugsley, and with better traction climbing and cornering too. I simply love this bike and feel it's the newest generation in the evolution of the fatbike. What you're getting for your dollar is better than any other bike I've seen. I even sold my carbon hardtail 29er and never regretted it. If you deal with six months a year of bad weather like we do, this could be the only mountain bike you need.
It will be interesting to see where Specialized goes from here; S-Works carbon Fatboy, Fatboy FSR, Fatboy 29+, please, please, please make some studded tires that people can actually buy.

Favorite Trail:   Toten Pond, CdA, Idaho

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop at Hug

Similar Products Used:   Thousands of miles on Surly Pugsley

Bike Setup:   Modified stem, shifters and handlebar, as well as trigger shifters

Submitted by Doug a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Strengths:    Best bang for the buck
Climbs well
Shifts well
weight

Weaknesses:    Low handlebar
Cannot change out the rear cassette carrier
Expert model not worth $500 more (maybe a strength)

Bottom Line:
Wow. Just fun! Needed- definitely not. Great build for the money on the base model. Even the Draco 2 brakes work well. Switched them out for Formulas and then put them back on. The Sram 7 twisters shifts better than all my upper owned components. A Oneup 42t cog will fix whatever that rear carrier limits. Riser 30* swept back bar, riser stem, Gravity Dropper, clutch derailleur and tubeless put it in the OMG state. I'm tempted to switch my profession to paper boy.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Wheatridge- they're

Similar Products Used:   Parking lot rides of most

Bike Setup:   See above

Submitted by Jisch

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    Relative light weight, excellent geometry, great tires

Weaknesses:    Short stem, no spacers

Bottom Line:
I have ridden a Pugsly for a few rides and owned a Motobecane FB4 for a few months, so my fat bike experience is somewhat limited. I had done some low cost stuff to bring the FB4 down to 35lbs or so and I thought it rode better than the Pugs. After owning the FB4 for a few months I knew that a fat bike would be a great second bike and that it was worth dropping the cash to get the Fatboy. I did this without ever riding one, based on what I read about them, perhaps not my smartest move, but it proved out.

I have ridden the Fatboy for about 100 miles on snow and another 50 or so on dirt. It is a REALLY fun bike, I know its only 4 or 5 pounds lighter than the FB4, but it feels a lot faster and easier to whip around. I converted the tires to split tube tubeless (easy money) and saved some serious rotating weight. I also swapped out to riser bars and a stem with rise on it.

My only complaint about the build from Specialized - if you're going to spec a zero degree rise stem and handlebar at least leave some spacers on top for the taller riders - the steerer tube is cut short and leaves no room for adjustment. Not to mention if you crash the brake lever comes in contact with the top tube (and I have the chips in my paint from my second ride to prove it!).

Other than that small nit, its a great bike, really enjoying riding it both in the snow and in the dirt. I have friends who hate the whole fat bike thing, so its not for everyone, apparently. When it comes time to pick a bike for a racer-boi or technical ride, I'll pull the RIP9 off the wall, but if its a ride where I want to have the most fun possible and speed is not important, then the Fatboy gets the nod.

I ride bikes because its fun, its hard to imagine having more fun than I have on a fat bike, and the Fatboy brings that up a notch from there. I highly recommend this bike!

Submitted by Paul a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight frame and carbon fork. But let's be honest, fatbikes are pigs, so a pound or two in either direction isn't a deal breaker in my book.

I can't remember the last time I rode platform pedals, but they are entirely appropriate for a bike like this. And these pedals have some serious bite.

The drivetrain shifts flawlessly.

This bike has an XC feel to it. XC riders will feel right at home. Trail riders may opt for a wider riser bar.

Weaknesses:    My biggest complaint is the tires. The size and tread pattern are fine. It's the tire quality that's the problem. Specialized tires are notorious for having blemishes that create a wobble or hop. I've ran into this with their XC race tires, road tires, and now with their 4.6" Ground Control tire. It can be really annoying on pavement above 10 mph. The rear of my bike has a nasty hop. However, off road you won't notice it.

I consider Specialized a high-end brand, so the lack of a chain-stay protector seems kind of silly. I wrapped the stay with an old tube to quiet the chain slap.

Being used to Shimano XT or XTR brakes, I find the Deore BR-505 unimpressive. However, there's so much tire on the ground that when you grab a handful of brake, executing a stoppie isn't out of the question. So, I suppose I can't complain.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Fatboy Expert.

The bike may have 26" wheels, but when placed side by side with my 29er, there's no difference in height. These tires are really big. Subtle changes in tire pressure can have a huge impact on ride quality. The bike was delivered with 13 psi front and rear. My first ride was harsh and borderline frightening in the rough. I'm currently running 9 psi in the rear and 8 in the front. That mellowed things out considerably. In snow it can go even lower.

I wouldn't buy this as your only bike, but I have no regrets whatsoever. Fatbikes are just plain cool.

Favorite Trail:   Exploration Trail, Running Springs, CA

Purchased At:   Bear Valley Bikes

Bike Setup:   Bone stock.

Submitted by Tim Walsh a Racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    Best value in fatbikes
On snow performance is a signature strength - fast, stable, easy to maneuver, great climber
A proven snow bike race performer

Weaknesses:    None compared to my previous snow mounts

Bottom Line:
I was considering upgrading my current fat bike until I saw the specs of the Fatboy. For about the same price as my sought after upgrades, the Fatboy offered all the items under consideration and at a considerably lower weight. Specs are not riding, so I took advantage of a number of on snow fat bike demo opportunities (lot’s available here in Minnesota) and purchased the Fatboy. In my opinion, nothing was even close to the Fatboy in performance at this price point.
I made two upgrades at time of purchase, both free from my LBS. First, I replaced the stock inner tubes with Specialized 2.3-3. The weight savings was 1.5 lbs., bringing the total bike weight to 30.2 lbs. with my Candy 3 pedals. The second upgrade was a 90mm stem. The stock 60mm was almost painfully short for my 5’8’’ height. The improvement in comfort and handling was significant.
I have put about 200 snow miles on the bike so I will share a few observations. The bike’s handling is more XC than most other snow bikes; aggressive riding position, faster, more responsive handling. On snow performance is excellent, with the lightness apparent uphill and the wide tires/wheels offering excellent on snow float and stability. There are more aggressive tires than the Ground Controls, but so far they reflect a good balance of easy rolling and solid grip. I may eventually want something with greater uphill snow bite for the rear, but so far, they have worked well. I am impressed with the drive train performance. The shifting is both smooth and precise and the Grip shifters work extremely well with pogies. Brake performance (hydraulic) to date is much better than offered by mechanicals and the hydraulics have worked well in temp’s ranging from 40F to -8F. On an ascetic note, the bike reflects an impressive attention to fit/finish detail and is beautifully crafted.
Specialized has made an impressive entry into the snow bike market. The Fatboy is well worth you consideration.

Favorite Trail:   Elm Creek