Salsa Cycles Mukluk Ti Fat Bikes

MSRP : $2099.00

The Mukluk Ti is our fatbike, designed to provide extreme tire floatation in soft conditions. It rides where other bikes can’t, while also offering geared or singlespeed setup through our proven Alternator rear dropout. Titanium tubing provides the finest ride quality, and is extremely corrosion resistant. Melting snow or adventures beneath the high tide line won’t cause the frame to rust. Alternator dropouts let you run singlespeed for true bushwhack adventures.

Submitted by coldbike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Strengths:    Riding on snow, sand, tEchnical climbs, smooth surfaces and long distances

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket means padals will sometimes clip rocks. No rear rack braze-ons and no provision for internal gear hubs.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike when i was having trouble making my Pugsley fit me. My prime criteria was a taller head tube to fit my very long legs without having to reach down so far to get to the handlebars.
I also wanted to fit big fat larry tires on 100mm rims and I wanted a ti frame for corrosion resistance.
The ride on the mukluk is substantially different than the Pugsley. The Pugsley handles much more like a traditional cross country mountain bike while the Mukluk is closer to an adventure touring bike. In spite of similar effective top tube lengths, the Mukluk has a much shorter reach due to a 2 inch higher front end. The Mukluk steering is lighter at low speeds and helps avoid dabbing in the snow or on technical climbs. My Mukluk is also about 6 pounds lighter than my Pugsley.
This bike is a great choice for those with long to average leg length and those who ride mostly on snow or sand or who ride long distances. Riders who like a very low handlebar height might find it difficult to put the bars where they want them.

Purchased At:   Bikebike.ca