Salsa Cycles Mukluk 2 Fat Bikes

Salsa bikes are all about rider empowerment. With each release, Salsa presents a uniquely purpose-driven platform and lets us run wild with the most fanciful journeys our adolescent, two-wheeled imaginations could possibly drum up. Three years ago, if a fortune teller could have told us that fat bikes would be one of the most compelling new innovations to greet the bicycle industry in the near future, we would have asked for our money back, and then used that money to buy another full-suspension 29er. But flash-forward to the present with legitimate snow-bike races on the horizon, and plans of epic island circumnavigation bike tours spinning about our heads with fanciful paperboy-esque innocence. One ride aboard the Salsa Mukluk was all it took -- our lives, and the off-road bicycle industry, will never be the same. We're now offering an extension of Salsa's genre-defying new series of fatbikes with the Mukluk 2 Complete Bike, which includes everything but a weatherproof map of regions far off the beaten path.We'd be lying if we said that bigger tires didn't equal bigger fun, but therein lies the inherently empowering beauty of Salsa's ethos behind the Mukluk 2 -- the bike challenges you to find unique riding opportunities in terrain previously thought un-rideable. With the bike's massive Surly Nate tires measuring nearly four inches across, your own imagination is your only limitation, as we've seen these bikes pedaling across moonlit sand at low tide, charging through fresh powder on ski runs, and deftly scrambling over large rocks and logs on long-forgotten forest trails. These tires also provide a remarkable degree of squish, softening up the ride in ways you never thought a fully-rigid bike possibly could. The Mukluk 2 isn't just about short afternoon rides either -- its Enabler fork lets you mount additional water bottles for extra hydration, or Salsa's oversized Anything cage which cleverly holds anything from wine bottles (again, extra hydration) to a tent for your weeklong bikepacking trip. The Mukluk 2 also benefits from Salsa's ingenious Alternator dropouts, giving you a bevy of build options to best fit your riding style. We're offering the Mukluk fully geared with a nine-speed SRAM X.7 and X.9 groupset, but die-hard singlespeeders can also rejoice in the Alternators, which accomodate those no-frills drivetrains without the need for unsightly tensioners. You can also tailor the Alternator to best match the challenges of the trail ahead. Running the dropouts in their forward positioning gives the bike an added kick of agility, while a more rearward positioning increases stability and comfort on those long, snowy rides. And speaking of comfort, the aluminum Mukluk 2 borrows many of the trail-centric geometry cues from Salsa's award-winning El Mariachi, albeit with shorter chainstays and a taller bottom bracket to give you ample clearance over fallen logs, driftwood, or snowbanks. The Salsa Mukluk 2 Complete Bike is available i

Submitted by Jim Burtwell a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2014

Strengths:    Stable, forgiving four season bike that climbs like a goat on a tractor

Weaknesses:    Stock cable pull brakes, people thing you are weird when you ride it on dirt, strangers fondling the tires when you stop.

Bottom Line:
Review of the 2013 Mukluck2. An awesome overall package, with the exception of the stock cable pull brakes. They are ok on snow but really lacking if you ride on dirt where the speeds are higher. Upgrade to Simano slx 180 and much happier. Only other change was to a different handlebar and grips. Have ridden for a year on snow mud and dirt with no maintenance issues or failures.The bike is very forgiving and stable, no matter what the terrain, and is an excellent choice for riders with less skill or confidence. The tires will roll over obstacles easier and at much lower speeds than a smaller wheeled bike. Stability and control at much lower speeds is excellent and still upright at near standstill. The gearing allows you to lift off on steep terrain easily regardless of the surface. An all around fun bike with a lot more potential than you would think, steers and handles much better than it looks and lighter than it looks. The gold paint is really nice and has held up very well. An excellent bike to improve basic skills and enable true all weather all season riding. Love my Salsa recommend it every time I take it out, will buy the brand again.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   07 Santa Cruz Nomad

Bike Setup:   Stock plus Shimano slx Easton Haven Carbon Bar

Submitted by TallHorse

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2014

Strengths:    As the other posters said, this bike does it all, and well. It is stable and climbs like a rock crawler in the summer. The slack head tube makes for a great descender in all conditions.

Weaknesses:    Stock handlebar. I went with a super wide DH bar and am loving the added stability in both slow situations and slippery descents.

Bottom Line:
Great snow bike and fun in summer too. I debated a lot between this and the Pugs because I wanted an MTB feel. I had read that the Muk felt too much like a cruiser and the Pugs felt more like a true MTB. That said, the geo of slack head tube and short chainstays looked pretty "all mountain" to me so I took the plunge and was not disappointed. Killer descender - feels like a power sled! Running tubeless for 8 months now with no problem which saved 2 lbs.

Submitted by tyh83 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2013

Strengths:    Everything about this bike is great. For a fat bike, when not fitted for winter riding, comes in around 34lbs, which isn't bad. The bike is a lot of fun. Have not had a single issue with the bike, frame, fork, wheels, rims, drivetrain for a full season of riding. Finished the winter of riding, hung it in the garage, now with snow falling, pulled it off the wall, on the bike and go.
Price is reasonable. On the higher end of what you'll pay, but you get what you pay for.
the tires that come on the bike are great for winter and summer riding. A tonnes of grip, and sounds like a tractor on the trail.

Weaknesses:    Only thing I will change is the brakes. The mechanical work, but sometimes get built up with snow.
Not great rolling resistance, but really... your on a fat bike!
only other weakness is while riding, you are stopped a lot for people to look at the bike.

Bottom Line:
Overall I would recommend the bike to anyone and everyone. They are a lot of fun, and if it's not the Salsa bike, any fat bike.
Every time I'm on the bike I have a huge smile on my face.
The bike makes me ride through the winter, so I'm not sitting on a spin bike in the basement.

Go out and buy a fat bike!

Favorite Trail:   Hangover Trail, Sedona

Green Cables, I had to
Nate tires

Submitted by vmaxx4 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2012

Strengths:    Relatively light weight for a "Fat bike". The selection of components like the E -13 crank and the drilled RD rims help keep the weight down.
This bike will allow you to expand your bike skills. - Technical trail capability. This bike will make you a better rider. The combination of "29er" diameter tires and fat stability allow you to select different lines and crawl through nasty stuff that is just not as optional on a skinny tire bike. - Momentum. Use the bikes weight to your advantage. Much like a single speed, keeping your momentum up will allow you to use the bikes weight to coast and "pump" sections of single track and down hill.
The anodized frame has a nice finish and IMO is much easier to keep looking good over the long haul.
This bike will make you popular. Everywhere you go people will be looking at and asking you about the bike and where you got the "big" tires.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket. I have way too many pedal strikes on this bike. To be fair though this is most notable when ridden in the summer months on single track trail. The stock tire combination could be better, but again at the time of production the options for tire selection was not nearly as optional as it is today.
I could not get comfortable with the stock bars for my riding style. I replaced them with some Salsa - Pro-Moto bars and felt much more ridable for my conditions. The stock brake levers also had to go, and for $20 they were upgraded to Avid Speed Dial 7 levers.
Replacing the stock cassette is one of the best weight saving upgrades you can do. I put on a Sram PG - 990 11-32 and PC 991 chain and It was over 1/2 pound in weight savings.

Bottom Line:
I was a going to purchase the Mukluk 3 but when I compared the bikes side by side, the Mukluk 2 was my better option. The upgrade in components and weight savings was worth it for me.
I have riden this bike a lot for the last 6 months over all types of terrain. Snow,sand, rocks, single track, gravel roads, it has handled it all. It is an extremely fun bike to ride and It continues to surprise me with its abilities every time I take it out. It is not my only bike, but it gets ridden as much if not more than the others. These bikes are a lot of fun and make a perfect addition to anyones bike collection. They are not "just for snow or beach" bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Red Pine

Price Paid:    $1960.00

Purchased At:   Brick Wheels

Bike Setup:   2X9 - 22/32 - 11-32.
Salsa Pro-moto - 11 deg carbon bars.
Easton EC - 90 post.

Does '12 Mukluk 2 come w/ 10 speed front derailleur and 9 speed everything else

Does '12 Mukluk 2 come w/ 10 speed front derailleur and 9 speed everything else? I know there has been lots of discussions about chain rubbing tire issues and other drive train issues on fat bikes but I was dialing in my drivetrain the other day and it occurred to me that I've never seen a SRAM 9 ... Read More »

Water getting into Mukluk 2 BB

I have a 2012 Mukluk 2 I have replaced the bb bearings once in under a year of owning it. So now I take out the seals and re-pack the bearings with grease about once a month what a pain, there is always have a lot of water in them. Drilled small holes in the frame at the very bottom of the bracket t ... Read More »

Paid Spam:2012 Salsa Mukluk 2 Frame & Fork Black Anodized Medium 17" inch

More info on the frame and fork can be found by clicking [URL="http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=83280&title=2012-salsa-mukluk-2-frame-amp-fork&cat=7"]"here"[/URL]. :thumbsup: Thanks JTRead More »

WTB Mukluk 2, XL only

Looking for new/used/demo. LBS has one but it's a custom build not to my liking. Please let me know if you've seen an XL at your LBS, or refer him to this thread. Thanks! Free primeVibe seasoning device for guitar/violin to anyone forwarding information leading to a sale! (see link bel ... Read More »

Looking for 2 size med Neck Romancer Pug, Pug or Mukluk 3 complete bikes...anyone

Anyone, help. I can't seem to find any size med in any of the above 3 bikes anywhere. Does anyone know who might have some complete bikes available. We live in Lake Tahoe/Truckee CA so we would need them shipped from most places.Read More »