Salsa Cycles Bucksaw FS Fat Bikes

• 6066-T6 Aluminum Front Triangle & Chainstays: Top-shelf, double and triple-butted, heat-treated 6066 Aluminum tubing; Formed and shaped for optimized and appropriate stiffness, strength, and weight
  • Carbon Seatstays: Increased stiffness and lighter frame weight than aluminum
  • Split Pivot™ Rear Suspension: Ground-up application of the Split Pivot suspension design to solve fatbike design challenges/opportunities
  • 100mm of Rear Wheel Travel: 100mm of rear wheel travel, combined with 3.8” fatbike tires, makes the Bucksaw capable of taking on incredibly diverse and challenging terrain
  • RockShox Monarch™ RT3 Rear Shock: Custom-tuned for Bucksaw

Submitted by Jisch

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2015

Strengths:    Smooth, quiet, all systems (drivetrain, brakes, suspension) work flawlessly

Weaknesses:    weight, cost

Bottom Line:
I've only owned this bike for a few months and have had it out on a few snow rides and a few dirt rides. I have a Specialized Fatboy, so this will not be a snow bike for me. In the snow I couldn't help but wish for my wider tires, but the suspension was welcomed on the chattery, icy packed in trails.

On the dirt this bike really comes alive. I was really concerned about the Nates and the overall weight of the bike. Neither have been an issue. Yeah it's not a lightweight bike, but it's not hard to move it around. The rear suspension works beautifully and by that I mean that when you're riding along you don't notice it. I'm still tuning the PSI in the tires against the way the suspension works, as you get the two matched you start to get to a place where the tires take care of the small bumps and the suspension picks up the rest - it feels much different than a regular full suspension bike - so far I love it!

I bought this bike without having ridden one, in fact until I had my bike in hand I had only seen one pass quickly by me in the opposite direction. I was nervous about dropping this kind of cash. I will admit that my first ride or two were just ok, not bad, but not great either, after figuring out the suspension/tire interaction and getting used to how it rides, I'm really happy.

I went split-tube tubeless, which worked great. I will likely put some carbon rims on eventually, which would save about a pound overall.

I can't, in conscience, give five stars for value when I spent $5K on a bike, but it is an awesome bike, I have no regrets. I look forward to years of fun with this bike, though I'll probably stick with the Fatboy when there's snow on the ground.

Bucksaw FS Fat Bike

So - anyone heading to Sea Otter this weekend, the Bucksaw will be at a few media gatherings over the weekend, but should also be available for public viewing off and on at our booth, #443! Man, I bet this would be fun for a Fruita/Grand Junction trip. Or riding down in Anza Borrego desert, e ... Read More »

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

Salsa Cycles introduces there New Full-Suspension Fat Bike at Sea Otter Classic! [url=http://salsacycles.com/culture/introducing_bucksaw]Salsa Cycles[/url]Read More »