Salsa Cycles Beargrease Fat Bikes

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The Beargrease Carbon is THE racing fatbike…simple as that. Think of all the terrain you can ride on a fatbike. Now think of riding it fast! The frame’s massive carbon ‘tubes’ combine with front and rear thru-axles they dramatically increase the stiffness and efficiency of the chassis. The Beargrease Carbon is agile and elegant, with internal cable routing, all excesses removed, and new geometry that will have you forgetting you are on a fatbike.

Submitted by Luis

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2015

Strengths:    Light, fast and fund to ride. Huge smiles every time I take out on the winter trails or singletrack. For winter snow riding on singletrack I paired the Whiskey rims with the Vanhelgas and run tubeless-- super terrific fantastic fast, and sure footed in all but the soft wet melty stuff on a slushy day. Stock 45 Nth tires are great for summer singeltrack riding. XXI drivetrain is butter, flawless and takes a punnishment. Earned its keep at the Birkie this past March.

Weaknesses:    XO brakes are terrible. I had never ridden on SRAM brakes I could not stand them and ripped them off the bike and replaced with XTR. Bike at this price point should not come with substandard anything. Salsa, you listeining? Get your acto together on this one.

Bottom Line:
This a review for the Salsa Beargrease XXI. I bought this bike fall of 2014 after demoing a Borealis. Loved the Borealis and loved the Beargrease. I got a deal on the Beargrease so I bought that one. And I am glad I did This bike is so much fun to ride and is super quick. See above comments.

I gave it 4 stars because I had to replace the XO brakes which are, in my opinion, substandard. They do not brake quickly or confidently. I replaced with xtr and let my index finger unleash full stopping power. Shame on Salsa for selling their top end bike with substandard brakes.

Would I buy this bike again? Yes, assuming I could talk my LBS in to swapping out the brakes.

Submitted by hotsalsa a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2014

Strengths:    Light (for a fatbike)
Fairly nimble
Great price for a carbon frame
So much fun you won't be able to ride anything else

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheelset (to be expected)
BB7 is average at stopping
A sus option would have been nice (although they offer that now)

Bottom Line:
I got the 14 Black X7/9. Love it. Once you get used to the slower steering (not too slow) because of the large tires it's a blast. So much fun I sold my 29er and use this bike year round. Ample clearance, climbs like a beast, and really holds turns and rolls over everything. It is bouncy being rigid so descents I recommend dialing it back a little.

X7/9 is spot on, and I see no reason for X0 unless you are actually racing it against people. BB7 is acceptable. Things I did to really improve it:

1. Understand tire pressure. I run low (between 6-9) most of the time. Get a digital gauge. I still need to try tubeless...
2. Consider front sus. Not needed but definitely recommended. I added a Bluto.
3. To accommodate the Bluto I got spacers for the hubs. This made me change the rotors to 180 in the front, so I put the old 160 in the back. This also helped with the average BB7 stop times. I can also swap forks quickly if needed.
4. I also intend to get a set of 29+ wheels for the summer if I feel like riding lighter and faster. Again, not needed but now I have two bikes in one.

Submitted by Rick Kelly

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2014

Strengths:    Light, stiff, geometry is dialed for snow, sand, or general trail riding
Good component spec on all models
Great looking bike

Bottom Line:
Favorite bike in the stable. Super predictable handling in all conditions (snow, ice, mud, singletrack). It's a fat tire mountain bike and that's exactly what it feels like. Every bit of power to the pedals goes to the back end. Even though it's designed as a race bike it has good low speed handling as well, thanks to the slack HT angle.
Salsa sets this bike up around 80-82mm rims with 4 inch tires with a 170mm rear spacing (which equates to 178 as it has a thru-axle, and honestly that width of rear end is more than enough for the majority of fatbiking). Bike comes stock with Dillingers but once you stud them up, you don't want to run them in the summer. Specialized Ground Control 4.6 has plenty of room on both 1X11 and 2X10 drivetrains without any adjustment, and gobs of clearance with Husker Dus or Nates.
Would absolutely get this bike again - in any configuration.