Salsa Cycles Beargrease Fat Bikes

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

The Beargrease Carbon is THE racing fatbike…simple as that. Think of all the terrain you can ride on a fatbike. Now think of riding it fast! The frame’s massive carbon ‘tubes’ combine with front and rear thru-axles they dramatically increase the stiffness and efficiency of the chassis. The Beargrease Carbon is agile and elegant, with internal cable routing, all excesses removed, and new geometry that will have you forgetting you are on a fatbike.

Submitted by Dave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2016

Strengths:    Light frame with aggressive geometry
Climbs like a goat
Excellent cornering on flowy trails

Weaknesses:    Terrible brakes
27.2mm post size and lack of internal dropper routing limits dropper post options

Bottom Line:
Beargrease Carbon NX1. An absolutely brilliant bike with aggressive XC geometry, the Beargrease doesn't feel like a fatty. It rolls on fast, maintains momentum, and carves up corners more like a 29er. Some might find the stiff carbon frame a bit punishing, but it makes for a strong pedaling platform and a stable, responsive ride. This bike climbs so well that I've barely touched the 42T in the rear; I'm constantly shocked when I glance back and see I'm not as low in the cassette as I think I am. Of course, it has all the benefits that every fatty has--obscene levels of grip, a tendency to swallow up rocks and roots, the ability to crawl over terrain impassible by skinnier tires--but it is the racey feel and almost flickable nature that really makes this bike shine.

The mid-level SRAM NX1 groupset is a little heavier, but functionally the same as the more expensive X1. I couldn't be happier with the drivetrain on a fully carbon bike at two large. The same cannot be said of the absolutely atrocious Hayes mechanical brakes, or the choice to pair them with 160/140mm rotors. This is the sole reason for the 4/5 value and overall ratings. Come on, Salsa, even a cheap set of hydros would be preferable to this junk.

The Salsa freehub seems solid, although it could hook up a tad quicker. The Surly MOBD hoops came with vinyl rim tape and were easily converted to tubeless; a roll of gorilla tape made short work of it, and I came out in the morning to fully inflated tires. I'm a pretty aggressive rider that tends to burp tires, but at 6psi these have held through four straight days of punishment. The 45NRTH Husker Du tires roll fast and corner hard, but I've yet to take them out on crappy conditions.

There is internal routing for the front and rear derailleur, and external rear brake routing, but curiously no routing for a dropper; a bit of a disappointment on a bike that so readily takes to fast descents. The brake routing is a bit narrow to comfortably squeeze in a dropper cable housing, but since the bike is 1x11, I'll be using the front derailleur housing. The cable will come out near the top of the seatpost, making the path short to an external dropper that hooks to the base of the post (like the KS LEV). If you buy one of the 2x10 models, you'll have to get a little creative. The 27.mm post size is a bit of annoyance, since only a few companies make a dropper in roadie size. The WTB Volt saddle is working great for me, which is a first for a stock saddle, but since when has a saddle ever been a selling point?

The handlebar is a wide 750mm, and has cut lines marked on the ends. I'm 5'7" and ride a medium frame, so I'll be knocking it back to 730mm. Except on pavement, I'm not feeling any of that fat bike tendency to fight your steering, so there is no reason to ride them uncomfortably long. The Salsa website has a typo, too, since the crank arms are 170mm (not the 175mm listed).

The Bearpaw fork is wonderful; beefy carbon blades and a good rake, they're stiff and responsive. It also has a pair of three bolt cage mounts to go with the pair of two bolt cage mounts on the frame. For a racer with no rack tabs, there are still enough options for short bikepacking excursions. Still, if long days in the saddle and adventures off the beaten path that last for days are your thing, go buy a Mukluk instead. This is the bike to take to your local XC race and crush the competition on their truck-like rides in the fat bike class, as well as the bike that isn't going to get relegated to your garage all summer. Seriously, this bike is so amazing on dirt that I can't really imagine sentencing it to the garage for nine months out of the year.

I demoed this bike back in April, and have been thinking about it ever since. I've demoed a bunch of fat bikes, but I didn't want one until I hopped on this.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Sram NX1 28T crank, shifter, 11-speed derailleur
KMC11 chain
Sunrace 11-42T cassette
Hayes MX Comp mechanical brakes and Advent levers (quickly replaced with XT)
Hayes 160/140mm rotors (quickly replaced with IceTech 180mm rotors)
Cane Creek 15 headset
Salsa Salt Flat 4 750mm handlebar with Salsa grips (switched out for ODI Rogue lock-ons)
Surly My Other Brother Daryl rims laced to Salsa 32h hubs
45NRTH Husker Du 60tpi tubeless ready folding tires

Submitted by mleebee a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2016

Strengths:    Amazing climber and really good in the tight twisty stuff. So light. Thru-axles

Weaknesses:    Expensive.

Bottom Line:
This is my first fat bike and I really can't say enough good things about this bike. My previous biking experience was on 26er Kleins. The Beargrease climbs just like a Klein. I didn't really know what I was getting into, but thought it would be great to have a bike for winter trail riding. The Beargrease is practically wasted in the snow. It really excels on tight, twisty single track dirt. It's incredible how maneuverable this bike is with such wide tires. The fat tires provide insane grip and just enough cushion - I don't miss my full suspension on all but the choppiest terrain. It's also nice to be able to run Dillinger 5 tires in the snow - quite a versatile frame (It's also possible to run a Bluto). This could be the future, fun to ride, ride anywhere, ride year round... Great bike for just about everyone.

Favorite Trail:   Cable, WI

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Bike Setup:   M9000/Next, Light-bicycle 65mm/Tune Fat King Kong. Jumbo Jim 4.0, Dillinger 5, Husker Du

Submitted by mtb4146 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2015

Strengths:    -Handling, weight, Q-factor, drivetrain, cockpit, climbing and descending ability

Weaknesses:    -only one waterbottle mount for a small, the wide handlebars took a few rides to get used to but now it feels odd with a narrow bar.

Bottom Line:
This is my first fat bike and the best bike I have ever owned. I wouldn't even think of getting anything but another Beargrease again. I bought this bike from a guy on Facebook but it was still new in the packaging. It is a 2015 XX1 but it did not come with the Whisky rims. Instead it has the Rolling Darryls. I also got it for 3000 less than MSRP so I had to jump on it. It has been a rejuvenation for my biking life. I have been racing for the past 15+ years and I was getting burnt out. Now I feel like a kid again and am having so much fun. I have done short hour long races to 100 mile mtb races. I have even done 100 mile gravel grinders all on the same bike and every ride has been great.

Favorite Trail:   Nicolet Roche

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Facebook

Bike Setup:   Stock minus the wheelset and I switched the grips to some ESI Extra Chunkys.

Submitted by Luis

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2015

Strengths:    Light, fast and fund to ride. Huge smiles every time I take out on the winter trails or singletrack. For winter snow riding on singletrack I paired the Whiskey rims with the Vanhelgas and run tubeless-- super terrific fantastic fast, and sure footed in all but the soft wet melty stuff on a slushy day. Stock 45 Nth tires are great for summer singeltrack riding. XXI drivetrain is butter, flawless and takes a punnishment. Earned its keep at the Birkie this past March.

Weaknesses:    XO brakes are terrible. I had never ridden on SRAM brakes I could not stand them and ripped them off the bike and replaced with XTR. Bike at this price point should not come with substandard anything. Salsa, you listeining? Get your acto together on this one.

Bottom Line:
This a review for the Salsa Beargrease XXI. I bought this bike fall of 2014 after demoing a Borealis. Loved the Borealis and loved the Beargrease. I got a deal on the Beargrease so I bought that one. And I am glad I did This bike is so much fun to ride and is super quick. See above comments.

I gave it 4 stars because I had to replace the XO brakes which are, in my opinion, substandard. They do not brake quickly or confidently. I replaced with xtr and let my index finger unleash full stopping power. Shame on Salsa for selling their top end bike with substandard brakes.

Would I buy this bike again? Yes, assuming I could talk my LBS in to swapping out the brakes.

Submitted by hotsalsa a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2014

Strengths:    Light (for a fatbike)
Fairly nimble
Great price for a carbon frame
So much fun you won't be able to ride anything else

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheelset (to be expected)
BB7 is average at stopping
A sus option would have been nice (although they offer that now)

Bottom Line:
I got the 14 Black X7/9. Love it. Once you get used to the slower steering (not too slow) because of the large tires it's a blast. So much fun I sold my 29er and use this bike year round. Ample clearance, climbs like a beast, and really holds turns and rolls over everything. It is bouncy being rigid so descents I recommend dialing it back a little.

X7/9 is spot on, and I see no reason for X0 unless you are actually racing it against people. BB7 is acceptable. Things I did to really improve it:

1. Understand tire pressure. I run low (between 6-9) most of the time. Get a digital gauge. I still need to try tubeless...
2. Consider front sus. Not needed but definitely recommended. I added a Bluto.
3. To accommodate the Bluto I got spacers for the hubs. This made me change the rotors to 180 in the front, so I put the old 160 in the back. This also helped with the average BB7 stop times. I can also swap forks quickly if needed.
4. I also intend to get a set of 29+ wheels for the summer if I feel like riding lighter and faster. Again, not needed but now I have two bikes in one.

Submitted by Rick Kelly

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2014

Strengths:    Light, stiff, geometry is dialed for snow, sand, or general trail riding
Good component spec on all models
Great looking bike

Bottom Line:
Favorite bike in the stable. Super predictable handling in all conditions (snow, ice, mud, singletrack). It's a fat tire mountain bike and that's exactly what it feels like. Every bit of power to the pedals goes to the back end. Even though it's designed as a race bike it has good low speed handling as well, thanks to the slack HT angle.
Salsa sets this bike up around 80-82mm rims with 4 inch tires with a 170mm rear spacing (which equates to 178 as it has a thru-axle, and honestly that width of rear end is more than enough for the majority of fatbiking). Bike comes stock with Dillingers but once you stud them up, you don't want to run them in the summer. Specialized Ground Control 4.6 has plenty of room on both 1X11 and 2X10 drivetrains without any adjustment, and gobs of clearance with Husker Dus or Nates.
Would absolutely get this bike again - in any configuration.