Origin 8 Crawler Fat Bikes

2.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The all-new Origin-8 Crawler! In a sharp move from traditional, we've used a state-of-the-art NuVinci N360 gearless CVP drivetrain to provide smooth, seamless shifting and no external gear maintenance. A wide 360% ratio range ensures you're always in the right ratio within its range. We've given you a stunning hydroformed alloy frame with massive 26"x 4" Origin-8 Devist-8er tires and powerful Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes with large 180mm rotors front and rear. Our new horizontal drop-out design will allow for different drivetrain setups. If you've never ridden something as cool as this, try one for yourself. Just be ready to fall in love with the fat tire.

Submitted by Dozer

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2015

Strengths:    Really enjoyed this bike when it worked.

Weaknesses:    No customer service.

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike from the local bike shop. Nuvinci hub failed with less than 20 miles on it. Took it back to the local bike shop the put a new rim and hub on it. This one lasted for another 37 miles. Bike store basically blew me off. At one point telling me it's not a mountain bike. It's a "snow bike" ?????? Then I exceded the weight limit 250 lbs and I'm 260 lbs. Now if this happened at a year or so after I got it I would say ok but 57 miles and two hubs on pretty mild to medium trails only averaging 5 mph (I'm old). I then tried to email ( they have no customer service phone number) Origin8 they emailed me back one time and then nothing for almost 2 months. Getting ready to take the bike store to small claims court. I would stick with one of the majors with proven technology. That is what I plan to do if I ever get my money back.

Submitted by West a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2014

Strengths:    The NuVinci hub is amazing and allows not only for extremely smooth change in gear ratio, but also allows you to quickly change that ratio without any delay or pedaling that is normally associated with shifting gears. I like the frame geometry, and like the idea of the cable-actuated disk brakes, although the brakes are not as powerful as I would like for a bike this heavy. The tires are huge and absorb bumps easily at lower pressures, although the lower the pressure is the less maneuverable it is. It's an extremely good value for a nice fat tire - I bought mine for $1200.

Weaknesses:    It feels heavy - no bunny hops on this bike - and the brakes aren't as powerful as you would expect.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. It feels good to ride, and the shifter is just flat amazing. If it were a little lighter, and the brakes a little more powerful, it would be perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Georgetown, Texas, Trails

Purchased At:   Cyclewerx, Georgetow

Similar Products Used:   Never ridden a fat tire before this one.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Marco a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap option to try a fat bike and see if you dig it, works really nice its got pretty nice geometry, the nuvinci hub works great so this bike will really improve your leg strenght

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, it could have had better brakes

Bottom Line:
Its still a short time since i got my crawler but im Happy and satisfied with the product its all i expected, i recomend it

Purchased At:   Bicisur, chihuahua,

Bike Setup:   I just changed the bars for flat ones, everything is as it came from the dealer