Norco Bigfoot Fat Bikes

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Norco is introducing a Fatbike for 2014. A versatile yet affordable option for snow, sand or wherever you plan to go, the Bigfoot brings the joy of fatbiking to the masses.

Submitted by BikerBill9 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2015

Strengths:    Stand over clearance, gears, hydraulic brakes, standout looks, value.

Weaknesses:    Tires, pedals, grips, manufacturing, quality assurance, lack of spare parts

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2015 Norco Bigfoot 6.1. All seemed great at first, but I wanted to change the rim strips from black to white. I could not get the QR loose on the front wheel. Two mechanics at my LBS couldn’t either. They told me to take it back to where I got it. I had to go to the next town to buy the bike, as there wasn’t a local Norco dealer. I took the bike back and they found that the dropout on the right side of the fork was misaligned, a manufacturing defect. After some time, the shop called with good news! A fork was being sent from Norco to replace the defective fork. Well, wasn’t I surprised to see that the replacement fork was a different color, had a quarter-inch impact ding in the fork (actually into the carbon) and was also a used fork taken from someone’s bike at Norco! It seems Norco has manufacturing, quality control and spare parts issues. All of this has taken about 8 weeks. Norco, clearly, could not deliver the bike that they sold to me! I received a full refund for the defective bike and have moved on. I wouldn’t buy another Norco product, even if I felt lucky!

Purchased At:   Sunrise Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Full suspension, hardtail mountain bikes, cyclocross bike

Submitted by Roger a Racer

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2014

Strengths:    My first fat bike. I bought the 6.3 because it was priced below 1k. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Chaoyang tires on it since the reviews do the vee rubbers are not good. The seat was also a nice stock feature. Love the black frame (looks even better with mud on it. The step over convenience with the angled top tube is nice and the components are decent. It is also only 31lbs.

Weaknesses:    Pedals (replaced with clip in platforms for use with boots or my mtb shoes). Otherwise this bike has no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Have ridden in deep mud and deep snow and can't say enough about the Bigfoot 6.3. Can't wipe the smile off my face either - bought two of them for me and my 17yo son to ride in the cold colorado winter. So far they've held up strong to some pretty solid punishment. We lowered the pressure to 3 psi in the 6" snow and that seemed to be about right. We could have ridden 2 psi, but we're still getting used to the whole thing. Shifting is smooth, bike feels solid. I highly recommend the Bigfoot if you are in the market for your first fat bike.

Purchased At:   Full Circle Cyclery

Submitted by Seanster a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2014

Strengths:    Excellent geometry, stand over clearance, hydro brakes, good looks, value, gearing, misc mounts.

Weaknesses:    Tires, pedals, saddle

Bottom Line:
My first fattie. Bought due price point and desire to ride moe in winter. The bike was sold out and I had to have one shipped in. At 6'-3" it fits me great (rode a L but XL is better). Outstanding geometry. Loads of clearance when your foot sinks down 18" in the powder off the trail. I would much prefer this geometry over a Pugs or similar straight top tube bike. I own a Crosscheck nothing against Surly

Hydro brakes rock! Budget $200 for better tires. I'm riding Lou in ft and Nate rear. Great setup! Also a Thudbuster post makes it a posh ride. These bikes should come with one as an option. Also Saint pedals resolve the cheap stock ones. Pretty dialed in now, but that all adds to the cost. I've not tested it but with shaving side lugs a Lou might fit in the rear. Tight clearance on chain though I'd guess. At 185lb the Nate is almost all I'd need for rear traction in out N Utah snow. But the Lou is great up ft. Both are 120tpi and the ride is good one frozen footprints.

Also, MSRP is NOT $1700. This bike is priced really well vs the alternatives. With better tires in 2015 it'll be very popular. No rusting with alum frame and a sweet deal. Kudos to Norco (and to Misdoula Bike Source, who was awesome!).

Btw, this was the most fun on a bike since my first mtb in 1984 (a Lotus from Wamsley's in Motown WV). :) Slow but just darn phat phun!

Duration Product Used:   2wks

Purchased At:   Missoula Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   Just typical mt bikes.