Trek Session 8 Downhill Full Suspension

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

The qualities that make Session a killer race weapon also make it the ideal gravity big-hit machine.
  • Frame: Alpha Platinum Aluminum w/ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, AngleSet compatible, internal control routing, alloy EVO Link, Mino Link, replaceable derailleur hanger, 210mm travel
  • Front suspension: RockShox Boxxer Race w/coil spring (S, M red; L, XL blue), rebound, low speed compression, rebound, internal preload, Motion Control IS, 1-1/8" steerer, Maxle DH 20mm, 200mm travel
  • Rear suspension: RockShox Kage w/rebound; 8.75x2.75" (S 400lb; M 450lb; L 450lb; XL 500lb spring)
  • Wheels: Bontrager Cousin Earl TLR Disc wheel system, 20mm front hub, 157x12mm rear hub, 32 hole, Tubeless Ready
  • Tires: Bontrager G4 Team, 26x2.35"
  • Shifters: SRAM X7, 10 speed
  • Cassette: SRAM PG-1050 11-26, 10 speed

Submitted by MN86404 a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    ergonomics, lightweight, fast, nimble.

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the medium 2011 Session 8.
I picked this bike used, stock w/ a few upgrades, most notably the renthal fat bars.
Right away the bike felt good and I was comfortable immediately. If you stand up and pedal
you'd think, there's no way this an 8" travel bike because you cannot feel any pedal bob.
Took it off a 4' drop and it felt great, same with jumping. It behaved perfectly in the air. It might
not come with the best suspension but for what it has it works great w/ this frame design.
If you have a chance to buy one, do it. If you're deciding between a session or another bike..buy
it you will not be disappointed.

Submitted by doorknob100 a Downhiller from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely fast and light. Ascends surprisingly well for a DH bike, durable and eats up rocks very well once you have adjusted it to your weight. Accelerates from stop or slow to top speed faster than any bike I've ever ridden. Jumps great as well. Perfect racing bike.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager parts, takes a good deal of adjusting suspension.

Bottom Line:
If you want to race DH or just go plain fast as well as jump a little, this is a great bike. Definitely worth the money if you can get it for a fair price and I've had a lot of fun riding it.

Favorite Trail:   Northstar, Demonstration Forest

Purchased At:   Bought Used

Bike Setup:   Boxxer Race, Elixir 5 Brakes, Fox Van RC, Giant grips (for some reason i bought it used,) Sunline DH bars,

Submitted by Twisted1 a Downhiller from Seattle washington

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Trek looks, Climbs and descends well, light,

Weaknesses:    Bontager

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money! Once all the bontager crap was replaces the bike really started to shine! As far as people talking about frames cracking.... Maybe y'all need to just quit. Of corse if you crash a bike every five mins somethings gonna brake!

Favorite Trail:   North shore, whistler

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky air, kona operator, trek scratch air, commercal supreme

Bike Setup:   Race face atlus cranks, boxxer fork, minion dhf, Mavric deemax wheelset, hussenfelt bars, tioga spyder saddle, Race face seat post

Submitted by Neil a Downhiller from Stockton-on-Tees, UK

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Strengths:    Fast straight out of the box, suspension design is excellent for my style and type of riding. 6ft drop to flat and it didnt bottom out! (The bike saved me cause I wasnt paying as much attention as I should have been!). I rate this as very good value for money for what the bike can do, just need my skills to improve to get the most from it. I dragged this around the red route at Gisburn then sessioned the DH, there's not many DH specific bikes that would allow this!

Weaknesses:    I've read a lot of bad reviews of the Boxxer race and to be honest mine works fine. I had the correct springs (for my weight 98KG) etc put in prior to buying. It took a few hours to bed in but now feels fantastic. Would like more adjustability but can certainly live for now without it.

Bottom Line:
I'm faster on this bike then my old Kona (and I rode Kona's for around 10 years) without a doubt. I'm turning harder, carrying more speed even jumping more confident. I can understand people wanting more adjustment on the fork but at my current riding and skill level I dont think it makes a huge difference to me, and it certainly doesn't detract from what is a fantastic bike.
I'm rating this 5 Chilis cause

Favorite Trail:   Carlton Bank

Purchased At:   Trek Dealer, Ripon

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky with Long Travel Plates and 888's up front.

Bike Setup:   Standard except M545 pedals and correctly sprung and oil weighted front and rear.

Submitted by MEGA a Downhiller from Austria

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight and really fast Racing Bike - at the beginning...

Weaknesses:    The frame, the bearings and the Bontrager components are the biggest CRAP on the market!

Bottom Line:
I am riding now 12 years downhill and I have never had a bike which was so weak as the Session. After 16 hours of riding, the rear end was not working propperly any more. All the bearings were damaged because the rear end was twisted!! After 4 weeks of waiting I received a new rear end consisting of a new seat stay and new a chain stay. When I built up the frame again the rear end was not fitting well. The tolerances of the frame are extremly poor!

Also the weldings are a desaster! I took a look in the head tube and the seat tube. All weldings were burnt throu and the welding larvals were visibel in the inside!

Also the rear hub was destroyed after the 16hours of riding. There is NO seal which keeps dirt away from the ratchet pawls!

I have ridden so many bikes in my life but there was no bike which was so poor and such a crap as the Session was.

Favorite Trail:   Schladming, Windischgarsten

Similar Products Used:   KTM Tribute, Specialized DEMO, Intense 951, ...

Bike Setup:   Session 8 Frame with stock components. after some rides I mounted, a Holzfeller stem, Boobar, Sixpack ICONs and Codes

Submitted by Smackbiethc a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2010

Strengths:    Suspension - offered components for the money - perfectly ready to blast of a mountain straight from the box.

Weaknesses:    No real points, one thing I find a little sad is that it's a bit of a drag to get the wheels out to put it back into the car. You always need a key for that. But that's not really a weakness, since it makes it unbeleavably stiff. Fork could be a bit more progressive, but that's normal - after all it's the entry level boxxer.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money, lot's of fun to be had on this beast!

Purchased At:   Singletrack Bikepart

Similar Products Used:   Commencal Pasta Power, weekend on a Commencal Supreme and a Intense 951.

Bike Setup:   Stock - only changed the pedals. Considered changing the springs in the fork, but after it was ridden in, even these were allright.

Submitted by keystoneshredder52 a Downhiller from Bailey, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2010

Strengths:    Good components. handles well. AMAZING Suspension.

Weaknesses:    fork...

Bottom Line:
AMAZING bike. If you want a really durable bike that can handle anything you can throw at it then this is the bike for you. The only bad thing on this bike is the fork. Since i am a light rider in weight the fork is a little stiff. Only being 90 pounds it is really stiff. I also was surprised at the limited adjust-ability. Unable to add air to the fork disappointed me. NO beginning or ending stroke rebound was sad. Other than the fork i would highly recomond this bike. I was very suprised at everything. Extreme downhillers only.

5-value