Specialized Big Hit I Downhill Full Suspension

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Shred everything on the trail without shredding everything in your wallet with the BigHit built from sound materials, advanced suspension technology, and quality components.
  • Mega-solid M4 alloy FSR frame with full cartridge bearing pivots and ORE tube construction delivers 7.5" of trail-slaying rear wheel travel
  • Custom X-Fusion Vector R coil rear shock with adjustable rebound works with the bike's FSR design to keep the rear wheel planted for aggressive riding
  • X-Fusion 170mm-travel coil-sprung fork with adjustable rebound and 20mm thru-axle for pinpoint steering and control
  • 31.8 direct-mount Specialized DH 4-bolt stem is forged for the extra durability needed to handle huge hits
  • Low-rise 750mm alloy bars with 8-degree backsweep and 31.8mm clamp for serious control to handle really big hits
  • Stop on a dime with consistent, fade-free Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes and ergo levers with G3 Clean Sweep rotors: 203mm front, 185mm back

Submitted by tyler

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    the rear and front shock are really valuable along with the seat

Weaknesses:    nothing except the braked when their wet

Bottom Line:
its an all around good bike

Submitted by Lewis a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    Suspension is fantastic, brakes are perfect, bars, and indestructible

Weaknesses:    Bit to heavy, almost impossible to ride up the slightest hills, and the gears can be a pain

Bottom Line:
I've found this bike a great bike to ride and even race on, it does downhill brilliantly and is good at pretty much all components of it. Despite its weight it can be thrown around really well, I believe it's a great bike for a rider of any skill level, I never had $4000 to spend on a downhill bike and the big hit 1 was perfect for me. I don't have any thoughts of changing bikes anytime soon. Sometimes the gears shutter which can be frustrating but that's an easy fix. For the stunning value the big hit exceeded all expectaitions I had of it, I love this bike and will continue to race downhill on it.

Submitted by Joe a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Really strong and agile, looks good, very progressive travel, good stand over height, all round bike for freeride and downhill racing, nice looking bike

Weaknesses:    Original parts were shocking-Forks, shock, bars, brakes, stem, wheels, saddle, cranks, pedals, chain device and tyres had to go straight away and its heavy as well

Bottom Line:
Couldnt find a better beginner to intermediate bike anywhere at all, its an amazing bike, after 2 years of Dh and Fr on it im still using it and not planning to changing till end of 2012. It is a really nice adaptable bike as you can put boxxers etc on and make it a very UK friendly dh bike, Even though the stock components are crap they are easy to upgrade and i have nothing original on mine left.
Even Brendog has used his in Whistler and Morzine!!
Brilliant bike, would recommend to anyone giving dh a go or fr or just anyone whos an intermediate but maybe go for a higher model and get the better spec and buy second hand as there is loads and theyre cheap.

Favorite Trail:   4-2-3

Purchased At:   Evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   Big hit 2, Big hit 3, Kona stinky

Bike Setup:   Nothing stock-Marz 66-Fox DHX 3-Holzfeller cranks-e13 ls1+ chain device-Mavic ex823 on hope pro 2's-Elixir brakes and the list goes on

Submitted by gg a Downhiller from Stockholm , Sweden

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Strengths:    Frame, The rear shock. Good value for the Price. Looks nice. It's a toy.

Weaknesses:    the worse is probably the brakes. How did they think at specialized ? I understand that they wanted to have bike under 2000 USD but those brakes will kill you on a DH track. You can't stop the bike. V-brakes are way much better. The pedals are as well not that good.

Bottom Line:
With this bike, you can't go wrong. You can jump trail, rocks or canyon, jump, have fun in a bike park and even go downhill on a regular basic without shame. I was really pleased by that model. I didn't have 4500USD to spend on a DH bike so I do still think that I made a bargain with the Big Hit. The bike has a great fun geometry, it's really nervous in a bike park. The X-fusion fork does its job as much as the rear shock.
My advice is that you immediately change the brakes. Those F### Juicy 3 are the worse part on that bike. I crashed several times this summer because I could not stop or slow down the bike. It's a shame. Just change them and enjoy that green great bike. I guess that if you go banana and start to customize it with a new fork (888 or Boxxer) AND new brakes, you will probably have the best bike on earth with a load of fun.
One more thing, forget to ride flat with that bike, it is too heavy. Your heart won't make it.

Favorite Trail:   Järvsö

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Specialized concept

2011 Big Hit I with a double crown fork?

Hi there, I am considering buying a Big Hit I 2011 as a gift for my little brother, he likes it , I believe more because of the color than anything, but I believe it could be a good bike to start downhilling he is 12. My question is what about installing a double crown fork on this bike?? would i ... Read More »

Big hit fame size I.D. help

I was given a 2001 Specialized Big Hit for some work that I did on a friend’s house. I robbed the brakes and other components off of the bike and want to sell the rest on ebay or this site. The problem is I would like to know what size the frame is so when I sell it I can advertise it correctl ... Read More »

2009 Big Hit FSR I

Hey guys, I'm looking for a more of a DH/AM bike with a slight budget issue. Does anyone know if the 2009 Big Hit FSR I is a good bike or is there another Specialized that better and that is within my price range of $1500-$2000?Read More »

Big Hit? Should I get it? Pls Help

Hi all, Considering getting a BigHit II now but originally thought of buying a Pitch. I'm fairly heavy (not fat - 82kg) but that's because I'm 192cm tall and this got me thinking of getting a BigHit because the frame is stronger and suspension too, then on Pitch, so it seems to me BigHit would be ... Read More »

Did I get a good deal? 2003 Big Hit Spec (Pics)

Hey All- So I just purchased my first DH bike and I was curious if you guys think I got a good deal, and I'm also looking for some advice being new to DH biking. I've ridden XC since I was young but only have a few days under my belt riding downhill at Northstar and once at Whistler. Picked up a ... Read More »