Rocky Mountain RMX Pro Downhill Full Suspension

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Chris F a Downhiller from Providence, RI USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2006

Strengths:    This bike has been good to me. It has improved my riding and saved me from disaster on many occasions. The Saint component group is great and the double crown geometry is just right. For a "big hit" bike like this, it is not raked out to much.

This is the first and last Free-Ride frame I will own.

Weaknesses:    I have not noticed any weakness in the frame. However, after 7 months, during a routine inspection, I noticed one of the rear suspension bearings had been destroyed. I cleaned the bearings regularly and checked for wear and tear, but did not notice this problem until afterwards. When researching this bike before buying it, I noticed that alot of people mentioned the bearings being an issue. I figured my issue was worth mentioning because I do not ride to hard or neglect my bikes

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, The dual crown is overkill for most riders.

Purchased At:   Dedham Bike

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Bullit

Bike Setup:   Stock Set-Up- Saint Components, Marzocchi 888R, Manitou Swinger 4-Way

Submitted by mitch t a Weekend Warrior from langley bc can

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Strengths:    CAN SURE TAKE A HIT NO PROBLEM

Bottom Line:
NEVER GO BACK TO A NOTHER BIKE STICK WITH THIS ONE AND REPLACE PARTS WHEN THER TOAST

Favorite Trail:   anything free ride

Purchased At:   SIMONS BIKE SHOP

Similar Products Used:   RMX 1,2,3 BIG HIT

Bike Setup:   SAINT COMPONANTS, RMX PRO FRAME, MAXXIS TIRES

Submitted by Mitch Fichtner a Weekend Warrior from Kamloops B.C Canada

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    Everything, theres no weakness anywhere.

Weaknesses:    I just said theres no weakness, the RMX is the best freeride machine out there.

Bottom Line:
If your looking for a bomb proof bike, get a rmx, heck Rocky's cross country bikes are stronger than anything out there so just think how strong the RMX is.

Favorite Trail:   Freight Train Whistler

Purchased At:   Skyride Cycle

Similar Products Used:   NONE, nothing comes close to the RMX

Bike Setup:   Saint, zochhi rc forks, and manitou swinger 6 way.

Submitted by Ryan a Downhiller from Mammoth Lakes, CA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2004

Strengths:    Balanced and centered feeling, pedaling performance, saint products

Weaknesses:    Original thrust bearings, not being able to buy the frame separately

Bottom Line:
Its hard for me to give anything the highest ratings so I give this RMX a 4 across the board. This bike has impressed me with the handeling and pedaling on ground from the start. A larger feel than other bikes but I prefer it since I ride MX as well. Feels centered when in air which a great thing at least for me.

After breaking it in a bit I stiffened the front forks(888rt) with stiffer springs and a thicker oil being 200lbs+bike weight. Works better in turning especially riding in pumic all the time. Other than the fork I haven't changed anything from stock. I have tacoed the rear rim(Alex DX32) Its a good rim for what the intended use is, freeride. I mostly ride on rocks and.....well the roughest terrain basically out there, rocks, creek beds, trees, pumice, just like other mountains so its taken abuse.

I have had great customer service from Rocky Mountain directly. Considering I dusted all 4 of the original thrust bearings, they sent me 4 new larger ones within 3 days, excellent job. Yeah 6 month warranty isn't so hot.

I truly enjoy riding this bike everywhere, it really feels comfortable to me.

Purchased At:   Pasadena Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Giant DH, Ironhorse SGS, Norco VPS Shore

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Steve Minniear a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2004

Strengths:    Robust frame; brakes, wheels, and suspension all top notch; attention to detail is outstanding

Weaknesses:    888 spec'd fork; no adjustment; 888 fork blew both seals during first ride! I upgraded mine to add external compression and rebound clickers and replaced the seals.

Bottom Line:
I'm primarily a x-country guy that enjoys long epic rides and technical descents. I do, however, make the trip to Downieville, Northstar and other venues for downhill\freeride riding as well. I bought the Rocky based upon their reputation and I picked it up "new" on eBAY at a significant cut below list.

Outside of the problem(s) I've had with the highly touted 888 forks which leaked profusely on the first ride, this bike is awesome! The Manitou rear shock is excellent and can be dialed in to meet varied conditions. The brakes are outstanding and the handling is spot on. This bike will take a big hit and beg for more.

The bike pedals well on level ground and the rear shock does an amazing job of eliminating bob when you consider this bad boy has 8 inches of suspension. That said, you will not be pedaling this up steep or long inclines. It's a purpose built bike that prefers a shuttle to pedaling when the trail gets steep and weighs in at near 40 lbs.

This bike is at it's best when conditions are extremely gnarly or you are grabbing big air. If you're up to it, the RMX Pro is!

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   eBAY

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Big Hit

Bike Setup:   stock with the exception of upgrading the 888 fork for external adjustment; I considered this a must

Submitted by Moorey a Downhiller from Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    Plush, well spec'd for price, beautiful finish, stealth colour, eye candy, Saint brakes bed in quick and super powerful. 888's feel trick. Prefer raceface to saint cranks on team (personally). Re-worked linkage, strong and sexy. Excellent ground clearance

Weaknesses:    Not making enough (wanted the "Team" but only 2 came to Oz), rediculous cable routing (chain guide squashes gear cable, easy fix but not as pretty), Dual control levers look flimsy and may not survive long but work very well so far, Saint derailleur could have been short cage. Not many options for hub upgrade due to splined rotor mounting. Quite petty weaknesses, sorry, love the bike.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome price for a Rocky. I considered an 02 RM7 when they came out, but the specs were lower and it was $2k more than what this sells for. Got an Orange 222 at the time for same price. The Saint stuff is growing on me after initial concern: axel mounted derailleur, splined rotor mounting, reverse sprung derailleur(it makes sense to have spring assist to change down, but means you cannot change down multiple gears as radidly). The 4way SPV swinger works fantastically, making the plushness of the bike not to bad to pedal. The saint/xt 2 pots are very powerful and have good modulation, so far they are more consistent than older XT's I used in past. Because of marzocchi stem, steerer is cut pretty short, luckily plenty of spacers fitted will allow for a change down the track. Stem bolts to crown, so bars are always alligned and cannot move in a fall (unless they do major damage.....). So far, love the bike, as do all who give it a spin. New polished linkage is very pimped.

Buy one if you are on the FR/play side of DHing, and want a strong bike that is as plush as any out there. It will handle DH with the best of them but is not quite as quick out of the blocks as a DH specific rig.
Don't buy if racing is all you do, it is a little harder to get up to speed, but then my previous 222 was a freak in that department.
RM don't seem to be pushing the DH image, but in its north shore home it would reign supreme.
Happy to answer any questions, concerns or hear other feedback.

Favorite Trail:   Nerrina

Purchased At:   PUSHI, Melbourne

Similar Products Used:   Most other mid to top end DH bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock except upgraded to 888r from 888rt.

demo NINE pro vS. RMX pro

2004 demo NINE pro vs 2004 RMX pro!! my friend is looking into these 2 bikes. He is more into freeriding and wants a lighter bike that pedals good. Pros cons?Read More »

Opinion: Rmx 04' Pro...

i recently found an RMX Pro (upgraded with a 888r) for 4800 aus...which quite frankly is a bloody bargain...they reatil in aus for about 7000 and with a 888r would then be about 8000+ aus...so im extactic and trying to decide weather or not to go out and buy it (instead of wait for an 05' DW) its in ... Read More »