Rocky Mountain Flatline Downhill Full Suspension

4.28/5 (25 Reviews)

Can you hear that AAA the sound of knobby tires machinAAA over packed dirt, the soft whirr of a quad lift, the clickity clank of chain-slapped stays Sounds like the resorts are callingAAAanswer with the lively Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro. Born and raised in the heart of lift-access sending, the gravity-fueled Flatline Pro playfully styles stunts with finesse, floats doubles with composure, and dices tree-lined, twisty steeps with aplomb.

Submitted by langmann

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Strengths:    nice feel havent bottomed out yet

Weaknesses:    heavy, hard to put on a bike rack

Bottom Line:
all in all great bike for the price but would recommend other bikes if you have the money. (and i wish my bike was blue instead of yellow)

Submitted by AKRider8866 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is a downhill beast. It takes bigger hits than Tommy Chong in the 70's. I have ridden this bike on some serious downhill and it felt like I was riding down the mountain on a cloud.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY. If there are any uphill sections whatsoever it feels like you're pedaling really hard and not getting anywhere.

Bottom Line:
If you are into serious DH where you are going to be taking a chair lift ot shuttle up to your start location this bike is hard to beat. If you are going on some trails in the woods where there are uphill sections, better think about getting a bike thats about 10-15 lbs lighter than this one.

Favorite Trail:   Kincaid Park

Purchased At:   List of Craig

Submitted by Eastcoast trailrider a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2012

Strengths:    Performance is excellent, no complaints there...

Weaknesses:    Design is flawed DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE!!! Rear swingarm cracks at the mount location where thru axle screws in. I talked to several other DH riders that had the same thing happen, in the same exact spot, hence, Rocky Mountain needs to re-engineer the rear wheel mount.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE! Unless you want to be stuck in the middle of the season with a cracked swingarm, waiting for a warranty part, then having it break again... Life is too short to be playing games with BS like this... Rocky Mountain should re-design the rear wheel mount, then send out replacement swingarms to all the peeps that bought this bike.

It hurts me to make comments like this because I love the bike, and the performance is outstanding. But unfortunately, it is a lemon that I am now stuck with, and I do not have money for a new bike...

Favorite Trail:   Upper Dominion, Deviant, Crap shoot

Purchased At:   Huck n roll

Bike Setup:   Flatline Pro, custom wheelset from pro wheel builder.com, straightline pedals.

Submitted by DesertCrawler a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Strengths:    2011 Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro

Fast, stable, predictable, burly build, well equipped right out of the box. The Boxxer fork and Vivid shock work very well. The I-beam seat is great. The two position direct mount stem (seems to be made by whomever makes the Loaded Precision AMX stem) appears to be well built and the adjustment is a good option.

Once the brake pads were bedded in they seem to stop the bike very well. The Avid Elixirs are not quite as nice as what I am used to (Hayes Stroker Ace) but still work well.

Pedals well considering what it is, just have to stay in the saddle. Changed the casstte to 11-34T to accomodate pedalling steeper inclines even better.

The Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR Super Tacky tires work well in typical AZ terrain, even though the 2.5s are really small.

Weaknesses:    The DT Swiss wheels seem like a lightweight choice for a DH bike. Mine came with a chain guide that did not have a bash guard. Changed that out before even riding it.

Likely as much personal preference as anything, but the stock bars are somewhat narrow for DH. Swapped them out for wider (31" / 785mm) Load Precision AMX bars.

The Boxxer fork plastic covers at the bottom of the fork fell off and were lost on the first couple of runs. Not really a RM issue.

Rear derailleur cable seems to be prone to damage, moreso than other bikes I have taken down the same trails.

The RMB pedals are very low-end and literally began to crack into pieces after a dozen runs. Swapped out to Spank Spike, which are a great addition to the bike. Not a big deal since many bikes do not even come with pedals.

My bike did not come with the short cage rear derailleur which is what is on the RMB web site specs forthis year and model. There is no need for a medium cage and it just gets in the way. This will be replaced eventually with the correct short cage derailleur.

Bottom Line:
Excellent value for a very competent downhill rocket. Ridable without modifcation, except maybe the bash guard issue (looks like the bike should have come with the MRP G2 according to online specs).

RMB took care of a warranty issue with the rear triangle very quickly. Thanks go to Rage Cycles in Scottsdale, AZ for handling it seamlessly.

It is difficult to give this bike anything less than 5 chilis. Even though it may not be 100% perfect for every rider as it sits, it is far too good for a rating of 4, and it makes an outstanding platform for an excellent DH rig no matter the skill level or terrain.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First purpose built DH bike, Marin Attack Trail set up for descending and pedaling.

Bike Setup:   Loaded Precision AMX 785mm bars, Loaded Precision AMX stem, ODI Rogue locking grips, ODI aluminum bar end plugs, MRP G2 chain guide/bash guard, Spike Spank pedals, 11-34T cassette.

Submitted by sloppyjoe a Downhiller from North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    Predictable and forgiving, decent specs, fast like lickety split and beautiful 8 inches of seemingly bottomless travel. SDG seat / post combo is not my first choice but performs well and is easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, f-ugly colour scheme, dampening adjustment knob on rear Rock Shox is nearly impossible to reach, cockpit is smallish for me (even though it's a large) and I'm 6'1" tall, making it really tough to pedal while seated (i.e.: uphill).

Bottom Line:
It's been fun getting to know this bike. It doesn't like climbing, so I push or shuttle. It doesn't like trails with any uphill or a lot of sharp technical corners. It's very comfortable in the air, and corners like it's on rails. Can't wait to get it into the bike parks.

Favorite Trail:   7th Secret, Mt. Fromme

Similar Products Used:   Norco Atomic,

Bike Setup:   Boxxer, Maxxis Minion tires, Race Face Respond, Avid Elixirs, Sram X7 shifter (rear only)

Submitted by bighit1010 a Downhiller from Coquitlam B.C Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2011

Strengths:    The shocks are really nice

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike i have ever riden. i have rode a specialized demo 8 and and i still preffer this bike. i suggest you get this bike as soon as possible

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled mt fromme

Purchased At:   kinetik cycles

Submitted by sheeptechnique a Downhiller from Brighton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    great geometry : super-stiff : fantastic cornering : likes to go airborne : phenomenal small-bump compliance : quality construction and beautiful paint finish : value for money : easy shock removal : shock is not a "mud catcher" : simple and effective rear thru-axle.

Weaknesses:    a little heavier than some WC race bikes : Shifter housing takes a bit of a thrashing from the chain : Doesn't have the ridiculous, curvy hydro-formed tubes so popular with the kids these days (but maybe that's a plus?). No longer Hand-Made in Canada :(

Bottom Line:
Coming off Sunday with a pushed DHX I was a little nervous about my move to a Single-Pivot frame, but after swapping the 450lb stock spring for a 350lb (I weigh 155lb)the rear end tracked brilliantly! Small-bump compliance is better than I ever experienced on my Sunday and the suspension has a smooth ramp-up giving the bike a nearly bottomless feel. Certainly the suspension feels a little harsh when dragging the rear brake through rock-gardens but I'm finding this to be helpful reminder to avoid this poor habit and ride a little smarter.

In spite of a slightly longer wheelbase than the Sunday the cornering performance on this bike feels far superior and definitely has a "snappier" feel to it. Although the bottom bracket height is quite low (13.8") the bike seems to sit up quite well when pedaled hard and so far I haven't managed to catch my pedals in any major way (something I lived in constant fear of on the Sunday).

Perhaps the most pleasant surprise was how well this bike jumps. I never been the most natural in the air but the Flatline has boosted my confidence no end when hitting big steep lips - The bike feels both stable, yet flickable at the same time. One aspect of the geometry I really like is the unusually steep 74 deg Seat Angle - I find that I can run the seat quite high (good for when I get a bit lazy on a race run!) yet it stays completely out of the way when jumping, manualing, or squashing the edge of a big, nasty drop - The beauty is that in these situations the seat pops up between your knees instead of smacking you in the ass! Gone is the quick-release on my seat post!

The rear end is super-stiff and so-far has zero play. Although the LCR2 linkage looks complicated, the shock is very easy to remove (I had it out several times while trying different springs). Also, I ride in the mud a lot and this bike cleans up pretty easily (The shock and linkage don't seem to collect much crud). Rear thru-axle threads into a (replaceable)steel insert rather than directly into the softer aluminum and fastens with just one pinch bolt. Finally the construction of this bike is really solid and looks like it could be thrashed season after season rather than just being a throw-away race machine.

That said, it is a little portlier than some other pure-bred race frames, though certainly not excessively so. My build came in a 41.7lb and that is with a steel spring - I expect to be below 41 once I go Ti. The only other complaint I have is that the shifter cable is subject to a good amount of abuse from the chain. Of course this is easily fixed by running it through some tubing or wrapping it, it only really bothers me as it looks like Rocky Mountain was 95% of the way towards having internal routing on the rear end (the Chain Stays are open at both ends) but failed to put openings in the dropouts for the cables to exit. I'm tempted to drill my own holes... but I wont!

Overall, a fantastic handling race-bike that inspires speed and confidence at a very hard to beat price... Would definitely buy one of these again!

Favorite Trail:   Any well planned out DH Race Trail

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   JRA Cycles

Similar Products Used:   2010 Demo 8 (2 days only), 2006 Ironhorse Sunday, 2005 Norco Shore

Bike Setup:   Medium 2011 Flatline WC Frame (w/ Fox RC4), Classic (32mm) Boxxer WC, E13 Reducer Cups with Cane Creek Zero-Stack, Fun Stem, Sunline V-One bars, Elixir CR brakes, Alex Supra D on DT Freeride 440s, Sram Descendant Cranks, Gammut P36, Sram X0 Shifter/X9 Der, Stratlines

Submitted by East coast trailrider a Downhiller from Ringwood, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2011

Strengths:    Frame, rear suspension, fit and finish, geometry, overall quality, looks.

Weaknesses:    -Came with cheesy pedals (but most people would replace that anyway...).
-Product does not come with torque specs for frame (ie. pivot point, rear thru axle, and direct mount stem torque specs). Most riders that own a bike like this, service and maintain their own bikes, hence having these specs would be helpful...

Bottom Line:
I cannot comment on "Longevity" of the product because I have only had it about a month. The performance: Fantastic! I LOVE THIS BIKE! And this is the lower part spec Flatline Pro, and I could not be happier. This bike is probably the best bargain on the market for DH bikes. The rear suspension is very plush and responsive, but without being "mushy". Front suspension is fantastic as well (and it is still breaking in!). As far as the frame is concerned, I really do not think you can ask for more than this. AND THERE IS NO SLOPPINESS IN THE REAR AT ALL, EXTREMELY STIFF LATERALLY.

When I was shopping for bikes, it was down to 2 bikes, this one, and the Moorewood Makulu with a similar part spec custom build. I could not test either, so it was a gamble. I went with the Flatline simply because I could get it at a better price for the spec, and a freind that rides RM DH bikes highly reccomended. Well, I am not disappointed at all, and could not be happier with the bike (Although I imagine the Makulu is excellent too)...

HucknRoll did a great job the building the bike, and did a first rate job packaging it too. Received it perfect, without a mark on it. All I had to do was put on the front wheel, and adjust the seat.

Out of the box, the bike is good to go. The pedals are cheesy, BUT ARE USEABLE. I did a few rides with the stock pedals before I received my Straightlines, and they worked fine. I did get a custom top notch wheelset for the bike (which I love). The wheels I had made were made by Prowheelbuilder.com, and he did an outstanding job as always (he also made me wheels for my trailbike which I love too). But let it be noted: The wheels that came with the bike ARE NOT cheesy, and better than I expected. I did a few rides with the stock wheels, and I had no complaints with them.

Bottom line: The Flatline Pro is a top of the line bike at a fair price, and with some upgrades, it is a flawless masterpiece that does not leave you wanting more.

Favorite Trail:   Alpine

Purchased At:   HucknRoll

Similar Products Used:   This is my first DH bike

Bike Setup:   This review is for the 2011 Flatline Pro. MTBR does not have a section for this bike, so I put it in with this WC reviews section. The frame is the same...
-Stock bike, plus Straightline pedals, and custom wheelset.

Submitted by BigBurd a Downhiller from Lake City, UT USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    Descends like a sled, turns like it's on rails, jumps well, very sturdy, adjustable geometry, rear shock (Fox DHX 3.0) was surprisingly comparable to the 5.0. Great balance and takes drops like butter. Love the X9 deraileur, particularly in short cage.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, not great for pedalling but comparable to my Demo 8 and Stab. Fork upgrade is good investment!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! The front shock is a bit lame but at $3200 I'm glad it was the only weak link! All the other components have been great. The frame is super sturdy and handles very stable. The steeper the terrain, the better it rides. I like the adjustable geometry too! I prefer middle hole for steep downhill and rear hole for freeride.
Basically indestructible...

Favorite Trail:   FireSwamp

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Specialized Demo 8, Kona Stab,

Bike Setup:   Stock + Fox 40

Submitted by AAAustin a Cross Country Rider from Compton

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Strengths:    None actualy the only thing I like about the bike is the grips the rest is.
Horrible

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this bike is bottom line

Favorite Trail:   Easy way down

Purchased At:   Nevada bobs golf

Similar Products Used:   Supercycle hooligan

Bike Setup:   Stalk

Submitted by Neon Carrot a Downhiller from canada

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    everthing i have not had a single problem with this bike

Bottom Line:
this bike is bad ass the low shock postion gives you a great center of balance which when pinning it down a steap tech trail helps alot. as well the shock is postioned closer to the pedals making it very easy to throw around when needed

Favorite Trail:   rock machine on whitehills

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   trek session 8 , trek scratch 8 norco shore 2

Bike Setup:   RockShox Vivid R2, RockShox Boxxer RC, Avid Elixir 5 Hydraulic Disc, Avid Elixir 5 Matchmaker, RMB AM Sealed 20mm Axle, RMB DH Sealed 150 x 12mm Axle.

Submitted by gnar a Racer from Vernon BC Canada

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    Stable in the rough, great suspension design, slays berms, eats braking bumps for dinner.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It steped up to all my expectations in a race bike. The new design is a huge improvement from the 09 design. Lighter, more nimble, lower. Rides very stable in tech gnar. Airs like a SS bike. Very reliable and predictable. The suspension is very sensitive and easly adjusted. The saint build is great, the bike comes out of the box ready to race.

Favorite Trail:   Mt 7

Purchased At:   Skyride Cycle

Similar Products Used:   GT DHi, Santa Cruz V10, Intense M6.

Bike Setup:   Saint head to toe. Fox 40's and DHX5 RC4. Raceface bar,stem, SDG post and seat. Maxis minions.

Submitted by insanitylevel9 a Weekend Warrior from hopkinton ma

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    handles great, very stiff, very good control in the air just a wicked fun bike to ride.

Weaknesses:    as stupid as it sounds the only thing i didn't like on the bike were the grips

Bottom Line:
i got to use this on my trip to highland mountain bike park and now i want to buy it. i absolutely fell in love with it the bike excelled at every thing i did with it.

Favorite Trail:   veitnam