Rocky Mountain Flatline 3 Downhill Full Suspension

• Wheel set N/A

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by AKRider8866 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is a downhill beast. It takes bigger hits than Tommy Chong in the 70's. I have ridden this bike on some serious downhill and it felt like I was riding down the mountain on a cloud.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY. If there are any uphill sections whatsoever it feels like you're pedaling really hard and not getting anywhere.

Bottom Line:
    If you are into serious DH where you are going to be taking a chair lift ot shuttle up to your start location this bike is hard to beat. If you are going on some trails in the woods where there are uphill sections, better think about getting a bike thats about 10-15 lbs lighter than this one.

Favorite Trail:   Kincaid Park

Purchased At:   List of Craig

Submitted by brajal a Downhiller from Portugal

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    Very solid , it's a much better design then the previous a bit flexy RM series. I used it for 9 day downhill in a row in Costa Rica and man I felt that I could take every line with no problems.

Weaknesses:    Well with this set up it felt and is a heavy bike, but when it catches speed then this is not a major issue.

Bottom Line:
    I loved this bike, I would stay with this bike if I could, problably with lighter parts only.

Purchased At:   _____

Similar Products Used:   Intense M1 , Schwinn S8, Vp-Free, many DH bikes....

Bike Setup:   It was the standard setup

Submitted by Uncle Cliffy a Downhiller from Medford Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2008

Strengths:    Low CG, Stiff, set-up options; Can be run with a triple crown or single, FR or DH...

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Component spec.

Bottom Line:
    This review is mostly for the frame, but I bought the bike complete since it came with Saint brakes, LG1, DHX 5.0 ect. The bike caught my eye since you can run different shocks for different set-ups, and the 1.5 headtube allows triple or single crown options. The frame is a large that fits me well, but has a long wheelbase. (I don't need tie-downs in my truck...)

Stability at speed is amazing. The BB height is just above 14 inches with the shock in the forward hole. Carving turns is great fun. Rocky decided to spec 175mm cranks for some reason and it's noticable with a bike this low. My pedals take a beating.

Great Whistler bike as you can mash the Garbanzo trails plus have fun on the jump trails... One problem to mention is the fork. It came with a 888rcv that had a serious fail on the 4th day owning the bike. Bushing broke in the lowers rendering the fork useless my first day in Whistler! Not stoked on 2008 Marzocchi...

Weight is up there currently at 46 lbs, but there are plenty of areas to trim weight. Rear axel is a solid chunk of steel, steel coil must weigh a ton, cranks will be changed out for new Saint or modified XT, and my tires are chunky right now as well. (Don't get me started on which fork I'll upgrade to...) I'll be happy to get the bike to 44 lbs. for a large.

Paint quality and welds are spot on. Classic Rocky quality, even if they are made overseas... This thing is built for high speed downhill. I would size down maybe if your trails are really technical, just to keep the wheelbase in check. I'm happy I went large though. This is the best fitting DH bike I've sat on. Ever. If you're looking for a solid, stiff plush DH frame, this thing rails and can handle some serious abuse. Loving it!

I'm giving 5 chilis for the frame, but as a complete it's really 4, and I'm going 4 for value for the semi weak spec that I've had issues with.

Favorite Trail:   Any Whistler black diamond...

Purchased At:   Bear Creek Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rocky RM7, Ventana El Cuervo, Rocky Switch, Transition Bottlerocket, Blindside (demo)

Bike Setup:   Stock except wheels swapped for Hadley/Mavic 823 with XTR cassette and Syncros mag pedals.

RM Flatline 3

I'm buying a 2009 RM flatline 3 and just want some opinions on this bike especially for dh and any problems anyone has had. Thanx in advance !Read More »