Kona Stab Supreme Downhill Full Suspension

3.91/5 (22 Reviews)

In the span of five years, the Stab Supreme won the World Championships twice, and added a silver and a bronze, while grabbing 10 World Cup wins and one overall World Cup Championship. That must be why it's one of the most imitated designs on the World Cup circuit. Hell, someone even borrowed the name. For 2010, we reduced frame weight, added tapered headtube and internal headset with oversized bearings for lower stack height, better rigidity, and more surface area to attach to downtube. Tighter cluster. D.O.P.E. System to eliminate brake jack. Adjustable BB height, geometry and ride characteristics. Shimano Saint, Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup fork, Sun rims. Basically, the lightest, fastest, raddest Stab we've ever made.

Submitted by Craig

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2013

Strengths:    I think it looks quite good. Nice geometry. You can pick them up really cheap nowadays.

Weaknesses:    Suspension - Has 8 inches of travel but feels more like 4. Numb, stiff and has an horrifying tendency to hang on square-edged ruts. Faux-bar linkage provides an awful kinematic with a vertical axle path and very little progression meaning it is stiff and unresponsive to small hits and trail chatter such as braking bumps but does not hesitate to blow through all of its travel on any drop bigger than a couple of feet. Snapped my lower shock mount on the hip replacement jump at Fort William (not a very large jump and I'm not heavy and I don't go massive). Tried with a DHX 5.0, DHX RC4 and a Marzocchi Roco RC WC and it felt bad with all of them, although I reckon the Roco was the best of the bunch.

Weight - I had a fairly average build with MTX33s and Fox 40s and it still weighed 49lbs. Not only this but the weight was all centred around the weird rear triangle, leaving your weight positioned far too far forward on jumps just to prevent landing on your back wheel constantly.

The DOPE arm means that 99/100 wheels will not fit as it occupies the axle making the spacing 137x12. Thus it is an absolute nightmare to find a hub which can be modified to fit. Any curious Stab owners out there, the only hubs I can confirm are compatible are the Hope Pro 2, Funn Bullet and the Sun Ringle Abbah Lawwill.

Bottom Line:
Buy one if you get it really really really cheap. Otherwise avoid like the plague as it feels lifeless and is worryingly prone to breaking. Kona fanboys will be quick to deny their reputation but it exists for a reason; Konas are (or rather were) heavy, fragile and wholly awful.

Similar Products Used:   Commencal supreme dh v2, giant glory, cove shocker dh, norco atomik, scott voltage fr30, specialized enduro expert evo, mondraker summum, mongoose black diamond

Submitted by Emlyn Shepherd

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Strengths:    Probably the best downhill bike ever made and you'll always get complimented on it

Weaknesses:    Weighs an absolute tonne and takes an army to load it to the roof rack but that's the only weakness

Bottom Line:
I bought my 2007 Stab Supreme about a year ago off eBay and what a bargain of a bike. It's abilities to push my downhill boundries are amazing and it's very forgiving.
The wheels it came with were rubbish but have since been replaced with a Spike on the rear and a Halo SAS up front. The Hayes Nines are very responsive but could have done with braided hoses. The chainset is very good and solid. I've got some Bomber 888's up front and they're very good, much better than the Boxxers I've had on there in the past.

There's not much more to say about this bike really apart from the fact it was a bargain and had got me back into downhill riding again.

Submitted by WestCoastWins a Downhiller from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, flickable, adjustable geometry, unique

Weaknesses:    I with it came with a direct mount stem, but that is a personal choice.

Bottom Line:
I was riding a 2008 Demo 8 but after a couple of years of abuse it was time for a new ride. I like the Demo, but wanted something different. The Kona really delivers. This bike rips. The rear end is very sturdy, and the suspension soaks up everything. The first day on the Kona I beat my fastest time on the speci. This bike is best for those that like to bomb the hill, and huck as much as possible...this bike loves abuse. This bike may not be for everyone, but it works for me. Simple effective rear suspension without the maintenance headache of a horst link. Brake jack is non existant, and it will climb if you have too, but I didn't buy it to climb. Good value for the components, and I like not having the same bike as everyone else.

Favorite Trail:   Can't tell ya

Similar Products Used:   Demo 8, Devinchi

Bike Setup:   Full saint group. 888 forks,

Submitted by badbadleroybrown a Downhiller from Escondido, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    Simple design without a lot of ancillary pivots to develop play, super stiff laterally. Takes a beating and keeps asking for more.

Weaknesses:    Weight, Stinkys & Stabs could both use a serious diet. I've pretty much run out of places to trim anymore weight and I'm stuck at 43.88 lbs.

Bottom Line:
90% of riders out there couldnt tell you the difference between a horst link, dw link, or vpp if you offered them money... but those same jackasses will gladly bash Kona for using an outdated design in favor of all those others that they dont understand.

If you want people to think you're cool, dont get this bike... stay far away from it.

If you want a real MOUNTAIN bike that can take a beating and ride out of it without a plethora of links that always need to be tightened or bearings that need to be replaced, this is the bike for you.

Are there bikes that pedal better, yes. Are there bikes that are more plush, yes. Are there cheaper bikes, yes. That said, for what you get for the money you spend this bike is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on...

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   It's a secret...

Similar Products Used:   SC Bullit, SC V-10, SC VP-Free, Intense 6.6, Norco A-Line, Rocky Mountain Flatline, Specialized Demo 8

Bike Setup:   Marz suspension, Roco WC with 500# Ti Spring & 888 RC3 WC with 7.7k Ti Spring. Monkeylite DH bar, Avid Code brakes, X0 shifter and mech, WTB RocketV SLT Ti Saddle, Kona BC post, Saint 810-1 170mm Cranks, 38t E13 ring, e13 LG-1 Chainguide, PG990 11-32 cassette, Jumping Flea hubs on EX823 Rims with UST 2.5" High Rollers.

Submitted by Patryk a Downhiller from Warsaw, Poland

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, pedal great (much, much better than V-10), stable in the air and much better jumper the my former bike. Really good racing mashine.

Weaknesses:    Weight! Put him on diet and you will have extra DH racing bike. Also I do not like Maxxis 3C. I do not know why but I do not feel it. Maxxis 40a or 42a are much better for me and tried Intense Light DH FRO and see extra, extra improvement. Intense tyres are great.

Bottom Line:
Now, I have some nice experienced with my bike and I am so happy that I changed it from V-10 to my Stab Supreme Fabien Barel Edition.
Pedal great, suspension works perfect....
I tell you what VPP, Maestro, DW-Link and so on. It is all marketing. I tested also Commenciall which has no virtual pivot bla bla bla suspension and it also for me felt much better than V-10. I somehow know my bike better during race and can react. I do not say Santa Cruz is bad bike. Not at all. But for me and my very personal preferense this one is better. Also feels lighter on DH. It is much easier to jump over the roots or rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Zakopane, Zar, Wierchomla,

Purchased At:   Marek Jodko, Rzeszow

Bike Setup:   Most stock but I put him on diet, exchanged wheels, saddle and some other little parts

Submitted by Eugene Kara a Downhiller from Rotorua New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Good looking Bike, Good geometry, Quality parts, takes a good thrashing. Good DH bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    Frame strength, top tube has a crack in the same place as two other 07 stabs in town.
Total bike weight(Pretty heavy if you like light bikes but i"m not fussed)

Bottom Line:
The bike has proven its worth. I've had alot of fun on it so far and will continue to when the new frame comes in.
If you can get through all the red tape with the warranty then hopefully a new frame will come through (Keep in mind Kona only warrant their DH/FR frames for 1 year)even if you're a couple of weeks out as I was with my stinky they will not replace.
Awesome bike but I might be looking at a V10 for the next up grade.

Favorite Trail:   National DH Taniwha track

Purchased At:   Bike Barn Hamilton

Similar Products Used:   06 Kona Stinky (Frame craked on that one too)

Bike Setup:   Set up for DH, changed chain ring to 42 and dropped off some rings on the rear cluster. Medium size frame pretty much kepted everything else on it

Submitted by Patryk a Downhiller from Warsaw

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2008

Strengths:    Great bike. Suspension is great and better jumper then my V-10. Feels lighter on the trail

Weaknesses:    Have not found yet but I am thinking to exchange brakes into Avid Juicy 7 or codes. Shimano XT is not good enough.

Bottom Line:
Just sold out my 2006' V-10 and bought Stab Supreme 2008 Barel's edition and I am very happy about that.

Favorite Trail:   Zakopane, Szymoszkowa

Purchased At:   Marek Jodko, Rzeszów

Submitted by Bill P. a Downhiller from Redding

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2008

Strengths:    Beefy frame, bottomless suspension, coolness factor, stiff suspension.

Weaknesses:    Brake jacking, even with the floating brake arm. Very heavy. Weird center of gravity (can get sketchy sometimes, and that's why Fabien Barel has been using a custom lower shock mount to lower the bottom bracket height for a few years now).

Bottom Line:
This bike is old news. Compared to some of the new suspension formats I have ridden, this bike is old and crusty. Some may say "tried-and-true", but I say to Kona: lighten the frame a couple of pounds for racers, get rid of the brake jack, and lower the bottom bracket to 14" (the catalog says it's 14", but with my 888 it was 14.6").

Favorite Trail:   Southfork, 'Tainer, Five-Pound

Purchased At:   Built it m'self

Similar Products Used:   Haro DHR (Intense welded 4-bar style), Rocky Mountain RM7 DH, Commencal Supreme DH, Big Hit, Santa Cruz V-10.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 888, Avid J7 (used to have Hayes El Camino, but they SUCK), SRAM X.0, Holzfeller OCT, MRP System 1, Mavic tubeless 823's, Ringle' Abbah Hubs, Michelin tires... etc.

Submitted by Hugh Wundke a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    iordered "the lot" but i got a supreme and i ordered it with extra rst's. But i didnt like the marzocchi topping so i took it off.

Weaknesses:    CRAP PIPPEEEEEEE

Bottom Line:
I LIKE SUPREME PIZZA BUT GRAPES HAVE NO BONES IN THE ICECREAM WHICH IS MY DOGS ONLY LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM....................................................EAT ME PLEASE (I AM TASTY TASTY).......(TOUCH MY BODY)...

Favorite Trail:   Eagle Quarry

Purchased At:   the pizza shop

Similar Products Used:   PIPEEEEEEEEEEEE

Bike Setup:   PIPPEEEEEEEEEE (with lots of yummy rst's)

Submitted by Patryk from Warsaw

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Strengths:    Just great if set up the suspension right but it more difficult than on VPP bikes. If set up right glue to the ground like best DH bikes and better jumpers than V-10

Weaknesses:    I do not know.

Bottom Line:
The bike was set by factory mechanic (but not from Kona) Just great if set up the suspension right but it is more difficult than on VPP bikes. If set up right glue to the ground like best DH bikes and Stab Supreme is much better jumper than V-10.

Very goods DH bike!!!

Favorite Trail:   Wierchomla

Similar Products Used:   my own V-10

Bike Setup:   888RC2X

Submitted by Jeff Thornton a Racer from Suncook,

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    If you like standing around with your hands in your pockets watching other peaple ride there downhill bike.Buy one.
If you like getting jerked around buy some guy in kona usa warranty dept. Buy one.
Don't buy a kona they do not stand behind there frames!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Kona does not stand behind there frames.
Do not buy a 2007 kona. There frames are hard to ride with 5 cracks on the head tube and 1 on the bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy a 2007 kona stab supreme. The frame completely failed. After 2 mounths of riding (maybe 16 days) i found 5 1 inch cracks on the head tube and 1 on the bottom bracket. The cracks were not from a crash. Through the hole process they were not interested in doing anything but selling me a new one for $700.00. After many conversations with me and the shop owner they agreed to send a new frame. It seems pathetic that it would take two kona frames to get through a 5 month season. I will never ride a kona again and i would recommend any one interested in a kona think twice. That head tube was realy close to completely coming off. I would not trust one again.

Similar Products Used:   Buy any downhill bike that the company stand behind there product.

Bike Setup:   Big brown box with parts all piled up in it. The kona frame completely failed.

Submitted by Bill a Downhiller from Redding, CA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2007

Strengths:    Bulletproof frame, tracks well off the brakes, steady in the air, inspires confidence, and people dig the looks.

Weaknesses:    Still noticable brake chatter even with the floating brake, noticable brake jacking, and the frame is pretty heavy.

Bottom Line:
When I first built the bike it weighed 44lbs with Atomlab Trailpimp rims and Hayes El Caminos, and it was a slow POS that had super brake fade. Now that I have tubeless wheels, Formula brakes, and a battery of light but strong componenets, the bike weighs 39lbs and it is scary fast. My riding style is more suited for a bike like the Commencal Supreme, and I can't get used to the brake chatter and jacking of the Kona. I won't buy another Stab Supreme, but I don't plan on getting rid of this one either. Kick ass bike for huckers.

Favorite Trail:   The Entertainer, Mt. Shasta, CA

Purchased At:   Built it from several retailers...

Similar Products Used:   Haro DHR (Intense), Rocky Mountain RM7 DH, Older Kona Stab, Karpiel Disco Volante, Commencal Supreme DH

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 888RC, Marzocchi ROCO, SRAM X.9, Mavic 823 Tubeless, Michelin, Holzfeller, Sunline, E.13, Formula Bianco...

Submitted by TA a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Strengths:    Mine is a 2007 Stab Supreme - Handling, Adjustability, this one has too shock mounting positions and this really changes the ride style of the bike, I have it mounted in the rear position for a more neutral ride, the forward position lowers the BB a bit much for me and requires a very committed ride style no braking just let it haul, more fabian than me.

Bike seems strong and bullet proof I have no prob hucking this or DH this bike its very confidence inspiring and a major strength allot of fun

Weaknesses:    Can't find any so far, for some it may be feel soft but I pedal this bike very easily and I like the active feel the bike tracks the ground amazingly, for me no weaknesses
Im not a fan of Shimano but after new cables and me setting things up I'm even liking the Saint, thankfuly the triggers not sti style

Bottom Line:
This bike is just so much fun, I'm having a ripping good time on it, the handling is some of the best of any bike Ive ever ridden it feels light to me for a DH bike without being weight weenie light in components rides light, blazingly fast, seems to really like the wide open stuff, tracks rough ground impressively, the DOPE system really works, mauls nice and rips corners to shreads, can't wait for the next ride, oh and the comps couldn't b better, maybe I'd go Sram if I'd specced this bike but I'll keep the Saint on there as it functions well and will take some inevitable knocks it not if but when
hard to beat value for money

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Dare, Santa Cruz VP Free, Intense VPX
I rate this bike up there for DH application its faster than any of the other bikes Ive ridden, to be fair the comps are way better too though, fork and shock esspecially.

Bike Setup:   Medium Frame, 2007 Marzocchi 888 RC2x VA, Marzocchi WC Rocco Shock, Sun MTX rimms Sun Abbah Hubs DT spokes, Race face Diablous cranks, LG1 chain guide, Saint brakes 203/203mm f&r Saint rear D and shifter, RaceFace cock pit Marz integrated stem, RF Diablous Seatpost and bar, Oury lock on grips, maxxis minions 2.5 triple compound tires DHF/DHR Funn saddle, DOPE BT system.

Submitted by Geoff a Downhiller from P.A

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Strengths:    Very bombproof loved the whole bike. Strong, quick, and fast.

Weaknesses:    The rear shock has be bottoming out for me but thats because i might just need to put air into it

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price will not let you down

Favorite Trail:   Duryea