Knolly Podium Downhill Full Suspension

Podium is a big name for a frame, but Knolly's Podium holds that title well! When a bike descends this fast and confidently while still maintaining nimbleness in the tight technical sections it takes the average rider to a new level and the racer to the Podium! While stable enough to allow the lazy rider to hang off the back-end and let the suspension absorb every obstacle in its path, the Podium is still nimble enough to pop off of steep lips into whips and tables almost like a 7" bike. The Podium is Noel Buckley's crown jewel! His attention to detail and well thought out execution are seen throughout this frame from the titanium pivot hardware, to the unique shock mounting hardware that keys into the frame, integrated fork bumpers cleanly integrate into the down tube, and a full length seat tube allow the rider to pedal the bike when need be are just some of the highlights of this amzing "shred-sled". To say this bike is over-designed is an understatement. It's just how Noel builds his frames and we get to reap the benefits of his labor of love! This frame?s stiffness combined with it?s low stature translates into stability in even the worst situations. Designed to balance the needs of a light weight racing bike while still providing the lateral rigidity to hold the tightest lines through corners, the Podium is the weapon of choice for Redbull Rampage contenders and all-around shredders James Doerfling and Garett Buehler when tackling the most insane terrain! Where will the Podium take you? Check out Brian's Knolly Podium on the Orange Pulp blog. Features: -Sizes: S, M, L, XL -Available Colors: Day Glo Yellow, Raw, Anodized Black, Pearl White, Britania Blue -Head Tube: 1.5", 49mm top and bottom headset cups -Bottom Bracket: 83mm with ISCG-05 chain guide tabs -Suspension Linkage: Patented and proprietary Four by 4 Linkage -Tire Clearance: 26 x 3.0" -Front Travel: 180-200mm (7"-8") Yes, you Dellerium fans can run a 180mm fork on this bike! -Rear Travel: 215mm (8.4") -Rear Hub Spacing: 157mm x 12mm thru axle (included) -Dropouts: Replaceable derailleur hanger Available shock options: Fox DHX RC4 Kashima coil (stock) or upgrade to a Cane Creek Double Barrel coil shock (steel spring) or Cane Creek Double Barrel air shock.

Submitted by blackfly a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2013

Strengths:    Quality, shock choices, cable routing, ease of build. And, ride, of course

Weaknesses:    None yet, except, with all bikes, what will time say...

Bottom Line:
My 2006 FLY broke in catastrophic manner, but having it for 7 years on the Shore is no small feat. I found replacing it was a tough go. I was going to get a Knolly Vtach, except they discontinued it 2 years ago. Faced with no option, I walked into the LBS and a black, medium Podium was there. Bought. I got the frame with a CCDB and Ti spring. Just riding around after the build (the review here) I am already impressed. Rear end is more "dead" than what I am used to perhaps but that is adjustment. But it feels "right". Rear end is neutral, bike feels very smoothe, especially on pedalling, and small bump compliance, a Curnutt weakness, is very controlled and detailed. I am not sure on the medium or big hit performance, yet, since I have yet to have a ride until tomorrow. Will update then. But as it goes, this so one hell of a frame, well built, and well thought out. Seatpost goes all the way up, and down. In fact, I will need a longer post for the up portion, which is saying something. 4 bar link works very well. I think I could of had the front end bars higher, but we will see. I am not a fast rider, but I am about to evolve. I know the bike is more than what I can do, but the assurance is nice.

Purchased At:   Different Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Foes Fly (2003, 2006), Ellsworth Dare (2000, 2001), Intense Uzzi DH (1999)

Bike Setup:   King HS, RF Atlas cranks, Hope Mono 6Ti brakes, Hadley Hubs, Mavic rims, Chromag bar/stem, Monster Ts, Thomson post, Shimano XTR 8sp cassette/rapid rise derailleur, Blackspire front chainguide, Suntour XC pro 8sp shifter.

Submitted by blcman a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2012

Strengths:    Very capable and stiff frame. Has all the goodies...157mm x 12mm rearend, 3in stroke shock for a plush and tunable 8.4in of travel, 1.5 headtube, 64 deg HA, low BB (13.4in.), and iscg5 tabs! The 4x4 linkage smooths out the trail chatter AND takes the big hits with what feels like bottomless travel.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the price. Got a used one for a great price, so it's all good!

Bottom Line:
The Knolly Podium will make you ride faster than you thought you could BUT make you feel safer doing so! You will be the weak link here! Hang on and have fun!

Favorite Trail:   Whistler Stuff (of course!)

Purchased At:   From a guy named Dud

Similar Products Used:   Foes, Iron Horse Yakuza Kamicho

Bike Setup:   2012 Marz 888 CR, Fox RC4, wheels and handlebars, etc..

Submitted by DhFlow757 a Downhiller from California

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    The smoothest ride I've ever ridden. It corners like pure heaven, extremely nimble in tight situations and jumps like no other downhill bike.

Weaknesses:    I could not find anything wrong with this bike.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this bike to anyone who is devoted to have a pure race downhill bike. It is literally the best bike I have ever ridden in my life.

Favorite Trail:   Sticks and Stones, northstar bike park,tahoe

Purchased At:   The Path bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Rouge, Giant Glory, Santa Cruz Bullet, and Specialized Demo 8.

Bike Setup:   Fox 40 rc2, Fox shocks dhx rc4 rear shock, tubeless wheel setup, hope pro 2 hubs.

Submitted by downhillFREERYDE a Racer from whlister, BC

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    plush, fast, and everything else

Weaknesses:    it's a little pricey but all worth it!

Bottom Line:
This bike is great, it fast on a whole new level. The bike turns like it's on rails. hucks like no other, good job knolly, VERY GOOD BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   red bull rampage

Similar Products Used:   nothing this Good!

Bike Setup:   straight off the showroom floor

Submitted by 2wheels4life a Downhiller from Pittsburgh, PA, US

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2010

Strengths:    The bike is build for speed!!! If you like to go fast this bike is for you. It's got a low BB and a long wheelbase so it rails through berms and is extremely stable and predictable over jumps and through rough terrain. The suspension action is extremely smooth thanks to the German manufactured sealed bearings at every critical pivot. I beat the heck out of this bike during the 2010 race season and it still doesn't creak nor have I had to tighten any pivots (like most DH bikes after a rough season). Bottom line...I can't say enough good things about this product. Spend some extra coin and buy this bike. There is a chance it will last you forever!

Weaknesses:    None period.

Bottom Line:
This bike was built to be super fast. I literally shaved seconds off the times at my local DH spot and they only got faster as the year progressed. By the end of the year I was a whopping 15 seconds faster on the same race course! Not only that but once you start to trust the bike it will send your confidence level through the roof! I really think this bike helped me to become a better rider (along with practice of course). Not only that but it is just about maintainence free. All I did was wash the bike before every race and that was it. The frame outlasted my fork by a factor of 10 for this season. It's a bit on the pricey side but it is well worth it. Very well engineered.

Favorite Trail:   Can't pick just one!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Demo 9, Cannondale Gemini DH, Nicolai Neucleon TST, Santa Cruz Bullit, Cannondale Judge

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Boxxer Race (will be replacing with a Fox 40), MRP G2 Guide, X9 rear derailleur, XO gripshift, ESI Chunky Grips, Easton Havoc DH Wheels, Handlebar, Seatpost, and Stem, various tires, THE BMX Racing Saddle.

leverage ratio diagrams for the endo and podium

can anyone point me to leverage ratio diagrams for the endo and podium? ive got the chili graph, but not for these..Read More »

The new Demon Podium helmet, Anyone have this helmet?

I am needing a new FF helmet and I came across this helmet. [url=http://www.allsportprotection.com/Demon_Podium_Full_Face_Mountain_Bike_Helmet_p/ds7200.htm]Demon Podium Full Face Mountain Bike Helmet[/url] anyone use this helmet? Comfortable? low profile? light weight? venting?Read More »

2013 Knolly Podium thinking about selling

Been thinking about selling my podium- here is the link. PM with questions or if you want more pics. I don't get to ride it as much as I anticipated. I live in Omaha, Nebraska... [url=http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1394257/]2013 Knolly Podium - Pinkbike[/url]Read More »

OT: California Schools Podium!

[url=http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/]America's Top Colleges - Forbes[/url] First and second--not too shabby. My school, Cal Poly SLO, finished 170th, but these kinds of rankings are always biased. We would have finished much higher if mountain biking and Ultimate Frisbee had been factors!Read More »

2013 Podium vs. Old

Just took my new Podium for a shred session. All I can say is wow!!! My mind is completely blown! I was worried about the new Podium not being any better than the old one, but it's better in every riding aspect . I used all my same components from Old Podium and just swapped frames . If you are ... Read More »