Intense 951 Downhill Full Suspension

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

The 951 is intended for downhill racing, used by World Cup professionals and domestic weekend warriors, the 951 also excels as a recreation/park bike, this bike pedals better than a M9 and has a "livelier? feel as it does not sit into the travel as much as the M9. This bike will jump/hop obstacles well and is very snappy out of corners . The leverage ratio starts out very high and ramps up at the end of the stroke. This gives a very plush feel in the initial travel and progressively gets firmer as it goes through the travel. Features: -1.5? head tube -Adjustable travel from 8? to 8.5?. Travel swap has no effect on geometry -83mm bottom bracket width, ISCG-05 tabs are machined with the bottom bracket shell -Next generation VPP linkages for even better pedaling efficiency, angular contact bearings and Zerk fittings on lower link -Fox DHX RC2 shock stock; Cane Creek Double Barrel shock upgrade options available -Custom color paint options also available

Submitted by Zac a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2014

Strengths:    Looks truly awesome. Light frame. Corners very well. Pedals very well too.
The frame pedals very efficient for 8" travel. The 8.5" setting makes the frame feel wallowy, it sits fairly far into the travel. Its also very supple - but ramps up very hard, making the frame super resistant to harsh bottom outs.
The frame feels poppy at higher speed and jumps exceptionally well. Its easy to launch the frame of little lips.
The frame can also handle a point and shoot approach, but one needs to watch out clipping pedals as it gets real low.
Overall it rides really well in my opinion.

Weaknesses:    They crack if they're ridden hard. You see some that don't crack, but are usually ridden gently by lighter guys.

I think Intense has poor frame alignment. I have had 3 intense frames misaligned, namely the wheel slightly out of line with seat post.

Poor ISCG placement disallowing proper guide rotation and lack of guide options. E13 works but lower roller is vulnerable to rocks.

Bottom Line:
Overall I very much enjoy riding the 951

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   morewood, orange,

Submitted by Josh

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    I can say i've on done a few run on a mates 951 FRO, and it rides like a dream. BB is super low, rails turns, plush but very progressive and playful. It's light..to light....

Weaknesses:    They have a tendency to CRACK! have a look at the forums on MTBR, there a lots and lots of failed 951s, particularly at the link and the chain stays (2 right through the down tube!). Said friend cracked his through the stays and the g3 link.

Bottom Line:
This is somewhat typical of intense. I believe Intense make great bikes, however due to being hand built, the quality control is not as great as the big brands (ie giant, who still have issues, but alot less and are all common). So you might get a good frame or you may get a misaligned lemon. Intense have been known to help out so it's not all bad. That is all.

Submitted by Jeff shep a Weekend Warrior from Redcar England

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    Very strong, fast in out of switch back, sweet in the air.

Weaknesses:    None :)

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet, fast smooth, rails corners, and mint in the air

Favorite Trail:   Inners

Purchased At:   Peddlers Redcar

Similar Products Used:   Driver 8, v10

Bike Setup:   951 fox dhx rc4, boxxer team, mrp, saint, hope, race face, mavic

Submitted by Mudd a Downhiller from Fallbrook, SoCal

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    The faster you take it, the more stable and flickable it gets! Love the progressive feel of the rear suspension. The more I ride it, the better rider I become! G3 dropouts and rear travel adjustability. 83 mm BB. VPP suspension sticks to the ground like velcro. 1-1/2" headtube.

Weaknesses:    Q-factor limits your crankarm selection.

Bottom Line:
The 951 is the natural progression of ride rigs for someone who likes to aim at the nastiest obstacles on the DH circuit. For me, with the Hammerschmidt setup, I can go AM on this 8-1/2" travel rig and still rock the rocks, and climb to the top! For me, it's the "natural progression" coming off a Santa Cruz VP-Free/Socom and a V-10. The 951 has the best attributes of both V-10 and the Socom/VP-Free platforms.

Favorite Trail:   The ones with dirt on them!

Purchased At:   Bike Bling

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz V-10, VP-Free, Nomad, Bullit, Intense Socom and M3.

Bike Setup:   White medium 951 with ti/CCDB, Fox 40 up front. One of only 3 951's on the planet equipped with a HammerSchmidt. SRAM drivetrain, Maxxis Minions, Outlaw wheelset, Thomson seatpost, Transition Park n' Ride saddle, Oury grips, Mallet pedals.

Submitted by 8664 a Downhiller from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2010

Strengths:    piece of art

Weaknesses:    ----

Bottom Line:
this bike make me all days happy!!

Favorite Trail:   PDS, Wallis

Purchased At:   BikeHull

Similar Products Used:   ------

Bike Setup:   shimano saint elka truvativ azonic wtb boxxer r2c2 mavic maxxis

Submitted by stejam a Weekend Warrior from Redcar, England

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    This bike rails corners and is so easy to handle in the air,

Weaknesses:    None yet noted

Bottom Line:
I feel this is the best DH bike i have ever through my leg over, the bike weighs in at 38.5 lbs

Favorite Trail:   Fort William

Purchased At:   Pedlers

Similar Products Used:   Gaint Glory, Iron Horse sunday, Demo 8 and Santa Cruz V10

Bike Setup:   Cane Creek DBB Shock
Boxxer World Cups
Full Saint drive train and brakes
Race face bars
Nuke Proof Wheels
Thomson Master seat post
Maxxis Minnion f & f

Submitted by dhmacko91 a Downhiller from dublin

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2009

Strengths:    speed, cornering, jumping

Weaknesses:    cant find any weaknesses yet...

Bottom Line:
overall the bike is amazing, the cornering on it is unreal. ive had the bike for in and around 3/4 months now and i cant find a problem with it! the bike is very very plush when you first sit on it, but when riding it doesnt feel as plush as you would think. the bike soaks up every bump and carrys speed very well, also the frame is abnormally light!
great purchase could not be happier!

Favorite Trail:   boneshaker

Purchased At:   competitive cyclist

Similar Products Used:   ironhorse sunday

Bike Setup:   truvative direct mount stem, fox 40 rc2, fox rc4 shock, x9 derailur/shifter, elix r brakes, MRP guide

Submitted by ekripper a Downhiller from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    braking, cornering, stable at speed and in the rough.

Weaknesses:    need more time on bike to find any weakness.

Bottom Line:
Got a chance to run the 951 demo bike on my favorite local dh runs. When first sitting on the bike it felt very soft/plush in the begining of the stroke. I was a little leary of this initially. After a couple of corners though I was completely comfortable on this bike. The bike squats right down under braking allowing you to really carry more speed into the corners. It really eats up the choppy stuff at high and low speeds well. It took tight corners very well considering it was on the longest setting for the wheel base. It feels pretty lively as well. Not quite as nimble as my 303r but still very poppy and fun! By the second run I was able to carry more speed through all sections of the run than on my 303r which I've been on for a couple of months. For me, this bike just felt amazing and gave me a ton of confidence. This bike could definetly drop time on my race runs! I love my Yeti, but I ordered a 951 today as well. Fastest, most fun DH bike I've thrown a leg over!

Favorite Trail:   Fire Swamp