GT Fury Downhill Full Suspension

• Grips: GT alloy Lock Down
  • Front Brake: Avid Code, 203 mm rotor

Submitted by drummercat a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    Good Price, Good Components, Reasonable weight, Easy to service. (Mine is 1.0)

Weaknesses:    Weak Rear derailier hanger, the fork bumper can dent the frame!! Bad sealing of the main pivot.

Bottom Line:
Mine is the 2012 GT Fury Alloy 1.0 (not 2.0) , pretty decent components, Truvativ Decendant cranks, Boxxer Race fork, Fox VAN RC shock, Avid Elixir brakes, the Wheels come with the bike are pretty strong. (I replaced them since I bought the bike, but one of my hard hitter friend borrowed them from me arounf 2 months and it still alive!! so I assume the wheels are good enough). Basically, no parts are neccessary to be upgraded.

The Suspension is very active and responsive, a bit pedal bob. (hey...it`s single pivot!!) I set my sag around 28% and it rarely bottom out. the bike is suprisingly plush that I couldn`t expect from a single pivot design!! It soaks up everything I throw at it.

The bike is solid and never have any breek or crack sound from anywhere. (lot of ppl bitxhing GT bikes are creeky but they dont own it, or even try.) I can tell you, seriously......it`s dead quiet!!

the bike is around 39lb stock, after a few parts replace, (Carbon seatpost, Slightly lighter wheels), it becomes 38lb. can shave more weight but it`s not really neccessary. (the frame plus shock and spring is around 5.0-5.1kg)

The bike is very easy to service, you just need to mount it on a stand , remove the crank and 1 of the shock screw, you can service the i-drive and the main pivot. I highly recommend every owner service your bike every month, the dirt will get into the main pivot easily!!

About the downside, the rear derailier hanger is quite weak, mine bent on the first ride.

second, the Frok bumper can dent the frame easily!!On the frame there is a big plain surface for the fork bumper, and it`s not thick enough......I highly recommend every owner buy an additional pair of fork bumper for the fork, the additional pair will share the force so it will less likely to make dent. (I did it too late, but after I added 1 more pair it dont get worst anymore.)

Overall, it`s a really good bike, I am way faster and stable than before. very satisfied!!

Favorite Trail:   Tai Mo Shan Hong Kong

Purchased At:   somewhere is europe

Similar Products Used:   Giant Glory 2013, KHS DH300, Transition Blindside.

Bike Setup:   I am 173cm tall and 160lb gear'd, the bike is GT Fury Alloy 1.0 Medium size, stock Fox Van RC shock with 350lb spring, stock Boxxer RC fork with soft spring, Nuke proof hubs with sun rims MTX 31 rims, stock decendant 165mm cranks, Wellgo pedal, X7 rear mech, X5 shifter (all stock), Answer minus stem, Nukeproof 20mm rise bar 760mm, FSA SL-K seatpost with WTB Valcon saddle.

Submitted by egsavio a Downhiller from Florianópolis, SC, Brazil

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, no lateral flex, agile, perfect geometry, beautiful, amazing pedal efficiency, no bob, stable at high speed.

Weaknesses:    When you go to the trail the guys think you are a pro.
If you like stick to ground bikes, Fury is not for you.
Everybody ask the weight, but it is strong, don't light (38 lbs).

Bottom Line:
The bike is unbelievable, but the rear sag must be over 30% else it will be stiff like XC. But, even with big sag it pedals like AM bike.
I love carbon fiber for DH. I had Remec WC carbon Dh by several years and now it is yet fine with a friend.

Favorite Trail:   Serra do Bitú

Purchased At:   Fortunado Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Orange 224, Remec WC Carbon.

Bike Setup:   Fox 40, Roco Air WC, Formula The One, Crank Brothers Opium, Hammerschmidt, Nevegal 2.5, Race Face bar and seat post, Answer Stem.

Submitted by Filip V a Downhiller from Dilsen-Stokkem Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    Super stiff & light frame!
Plush suspension, loves speed, rails corners en jumps like ... well, really good. Turns nasty rock gardens into pavement

Weaknesses:    Avid elexir carbon CR brakes suck air, clear coat is very fragile. Not really a bargain.

Bottom Line:
Best bike ever!! Light, playfull, stiff, nimble, pedal power like road-bike, al you can wish for in a bike!
And the best, MAINTENANCE FREE. Just back from a sunday ride in rain en cement-like mud. Opend up the I-drive, no mud, no water, not even after a jet wash!
They earned there wings with this one!!

Brakes are the only downpoint, stopping power is very good but you will need to bleed them after a day of serious riding. (takes just 10 min)

Favorite Trail:   601 Lake Garda, anything in the Alps