Giant Glory 0 Downhill Full Suspension

4.69/5 (13 Reviews)

The harder the course, the better says two-time U.S. DH Champ Duncan Riffle. Same goes for his bike, the Giant Glory. With 8 inches of fully active Maestro suspension, mated to a lightweight, super strong ALUXX SL via a co-pivot shock mount, it’s everything Duncan-and you-need to boost your confidence in the most extreme DH conditions.
  • Fox 40 RC2, 203mm suspension fork, Fox DHX RC4 coil rear shock
  • Shimano Saint group
  • Giant Contact AM handlebar, Giant Contact DH stem, Giant Contact seatpost
  • DT Swiss EX-500 rims/Shimano Saint hubs/DT Competition spokes wheelset
  • Color: Smoke/Gold

Submitted by bruno lamothe

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Strengths:    "this review is for the frame only" excellent small and big bump suspension. pedals very well. easy to acces shock. frame weight is very low. price of frame is lower than most.

Weaknesses:    they could have used iscg 05, instead of iscg old. cable routing on the downtube could have been on top away from rocks.

Bottom Line:
im the kind of guy that like to try different bikes every year and this one is one of my favorites, the suspension is great, i dont feel like my legs are killing me half way trough a run like every other bikes i tried with 8" of travel and its more agile than my v10 was. Most people complain about the high bb and 65.5 head angle, but i try the bike with a angleset and 1.5 degree doesnt change the bike enough so that its worth paying for it.

Submitted by bigfrank a Weekend Warrior from quebec

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Strengths:    the only complete bike i could get with full saint/fox set-up beside a flatline at the end of the 2010 season. wish it was a demo8 with saint/fox set-up.(better fit for me, i ride very small bikes.My glory is xs!!!!)

Weaknesses:    stock michelin tire are crap; slip and slide all the time,everywhere.The front saint hub got loose on the first descent!Unacceptable for a bike in this price range. Didn`t come with pedals(would have been nice).It had a weird defect with the derailleur hanger, the hook was cast/machine too short. it scrapped the top of the golden part of the saint derailleur. The store(thank god) replace the part and the hanger.The rims are soft, i rode the bike 2-3 months only on weekends and the front as a wabble, the rear got some big kink in then. They will probrably die on me in 2012.would have been nice, in my opinion, to have the giant integrated stem with it(like in 2012)

Bottom Line:
the shortcomings (component wise) of the 2010 models seems to be corrected in 2011. So far i like it a lot, but it`s not a demo8.

Favorite Trail:   bromont

Purchased At:   intersport verdun

Similar Products Used:   2005 demo8pro

Bike Setup:   i put on some maxxis tires, straitline pedals. The rest is stock.

Submitted by Socky a Downhiller from Dublin Ireland

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    Its solid, easy to chuck around handles well in the rough terrain and in the air. Paint is like impossible to scratch.

Weaknesses:    tad bit heavy but who cares for DH.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike to have and is perfect for me.low maintanance fun and racing.

Purchased At:   Whistler

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz v10

Bike Setup:   Hope mono m4 , mavic721 on hope pro 2 hubs, 888r's, holzfeller cranks, wide flat bars.500lb spring.straitline guide.

Submitted by azkid a Downhiller from united states

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2010

Strengths:    the thing is just bullet proof. i have tagged some big gaps on this thing and it just sucks up everything. super stiff and the geometry is right on

Weaknesses:    i have not found any. i did build this bike myself to everything i wanted so i cant complain

Bottom Line:
bike is solid most people say this thing is hevy but if you build it right then its at a good 40lbs. thats what mine is at now. really good for all around riding i have hit cross country trails to freeride jumps to bobmin downhill. pedals amazing and just a great design. recomend this bike to anyone.

Purchased At:   frame only

Similar Products Used:   nothing like it

Bike Setup:   boxxer race up front. elixer cr. easton havoc dh wheels. sram x9 shifting. truvativ cranks and bb. sunline bars and stem. mrp g2 guid. crank bro pedals.roco tst rear shock (stock)

Submitted by rmj1251 a Weekend Warrior from central coast, CA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    This bike has a very solid feel at speed and seems to float over technical terrain. It comes with good components overall. This bike's pedaling and climbing abilities exceeded my expectations, it climbs shockingly well for the beast that it is.

Weaknesses:    I have heard bad things about the marzocchi fork and shock but so far I am very impressed with them. I guess time will tell but no weaknesses so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sick. It has exceeded my expectations in every way. This bike smashes on technical downhills, the suspension does a great job at soaking up chunk on the trails and big hits. The thing also feels like it was built to fly.I got this bike knowing that it is a gravity bike and not really meant for climbing so i had my expectations fairly low but let me tell you for what this bike is, it climbs like a champ. The tst feature on the roco is also pretty cool. Overall I am very impressed with this bike it comes with a good build, great suspension design, it tears it up on the downhill, and you can actually climb it if you have to.

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden a few bikes of this caliber but never owned any.

Bike Setup:   stock 2009 giant glory 0

Submitted by thevolcoman a Weekend Warrior from Northern NH, US

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Strengths:    Maestro suspension is super plush and rides amazing once you get rid of the roco. Don't lose much power due to pedal bob. Stock components generally solid all around. WTB wheels surprisingly resilient but I haven't been downhilling yet.

Weaknesses:    Roco TST-R does not compare to a DHX 5.0. Somewhat heavy but that's why you ride a chairlift up the hill.
Had to spend $200 on a Risse 1.5" steer tube and crowns to be able to put my 888RC3 on it (not really a weakness I guess)

Bottom Line:
Overall a very solid bike right out of the box. A true all around freeride bike that is tolerable uphill but can soak up burly dh runs and drops. Coming from my old AC-1, this bike feels bottomless, and when you do bottom it out, it is not harsh at all. Bike feels solid but time will tell how the linkage will hold up. I have not been able to take it on any lift accessed terrain yet, but it did well on 6-8 foot urban drops and felt surprisingly light on the dirt jump course.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Highland Mountain

Purchased At:   Crooker Cycle Sports

Similar Products Used:   Big Hit, Kona Stinky, Weyless 6.7

Bike Setup:   888RC3 up front with Risse 1.5" crown and steer tube upgrade. Fox DHX 5.0. Probably some DT FR wheels when I kill the WTB wheels.

Submitted by bcinlas4 a Downhiller from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    The ability to float over the most technical terrain super fast. Maestro Suspension. Confidence inspireing.

Weaknesses:    Weight, X 5 shifter - crap!

Bottom Line:
I've been riding my Reign for three years; agressively I thought. Once I got on this thing it was like I took off the training wheels. Fast and plush. This is my third Giant w/ the Maestro suspension and I dont know why anyone would ride anything else. My friend swears by the VPP system (V10 & VP Free)but I don't think it can compare. True these are not "true" DH angles but thats what makes it so versitile. You can run full speed and the tech tight stuff. Try that on a V10! Weight is on the hi side but you get used to it. Going tubeless would be a great upgrade. As far as other reviewers mentioning keeping up with there XC friends, forget it. That's what you've got two bikes for, right? Alot of pushing and lift access. That's what it's for. Buy one!

Favorite Trail:   Suicide

Purchased At:   Newbury Park Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothing similiar. But I do own a Reign 2 w/ same suspension.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for an upgraded Marzocchi 888 RC2 and a Cane Creek headset.

Submitted by stpcrkr a Weekend Warrior from Laramie, Wy

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2009

Strengths:    Incredible stability, plushness, control on the downhill. Climbs like a goat on the uphill.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY!!! Holy crap this bike is heavy stock. Marzocchi parts. (the ROCO shock blew up within a month, I would have been cool with it, but it took Marzocchi OVER a month to replace it! BOOOO!)

Bottom Line:
I demoed this bike for a few days on the National Trail in Phoenix. At first I was appalled at the weight of the bike and how difficult it was to pedal up hill. But as soon as I hit the first downhill I was in love. It has completely redefined what I can do on a bike. I went to Moab 6 times in the fall of 08 and rode almost everything.

Eventually you get used to the weight, but you also get used to being way behind your XC buddies on the uphill. I bonk a lot on big hills and just push it. If you don't aspire to pushing around a 46lb bike you can give up a little capability and get the Reign X.

My main bike buddy has a SC Bullit. Which was my first choice, but I was put off by the exorbitant price. So I got the Glory instead (it was nearly half the price). Best decision I ever made! In rolling terrain and climbs he is faster than I am because the Bullit is much lighter. But any downhill that doesn't involve pedaling I absolutely destroy him. He hates letting anyone go in front of him, but he has learned to just accept that with the Glory I am faster and he always lets me go first on big downhills.

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchilada, Moab

Purchased At:   The Pedal House

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Bullit

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Fox DHX Coil shock.

Submitted by William42 a Downhiller from Davis, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, is a true "freeride" bike - you can climb to the top of a hill without bob, manage the techy rooty steeps, and then bomb the *&@% down and do any jumps or drops that you can find on the way.

It holds its lines pretty well, it pedals super well, has almost no brake squat, jumps decently, handles rock gardens fairly well, does well on tight twisty stuff.

Weaknesses:    Its a little flexy in the rear end, its heavy (12.8 with roco tst, shock bushings and stock axle, nothing else), and the angles are not "true downhill angles" - can be a plus or minus depending on how you look at it.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to write a review after I'd had the bike for awhile. I also didn't want to be the toolbag that writes this huge review two days after getting it without a follow up, or the toolbag who writes a rave review while they're trying to sell the bike. The frame has already been sold

At anyrate, on with the review:

Its very solidly put together, the build is a pretty heavy build, but I don't think you'll break one thing on the stock build. If you're trying to save money, thats the way to go. Having a light bike is cool, but stuff breaks on it all the time. This is a good build right here.

The roco TST on it kinda blows. Just pump alot of air into the piggy back and keep the tst on full open and it'll be mediocre, as opposed to awful.

the 66rc3 is pretty rad, it feels great, and was pretty reliable. Alot of people have had trouble with 08 marzocchi. I had to send my fork back for two weeks, but other then that dead reliable. For a full year of riding, one service is not bad. Changed the oil a couple times, but pretty solid fork. I'd recommend it.

I had some codes. I switched the stock strokers for them. I eventually sold the codes and switched back to the strokers. they were lighter, offered better modulation, and provided more then enough power.

the suspension was pretty rad. it was miles above FSR, (although i'm partial to suspension you don't need compression to cover up for crappy pedaling performance.) It soaked up bumps well, felt pretty bottomless, was quite linear, and never really bottomed out harshly. (I know, it doesn't make sense, but thats what happened). I ended up selling it because I wanted a canfield bro's bike (the bro's were pretty cool to me, and I liked their rides) and DH geometry. If you're looking for something that is a true freeride bike, this, moreso then any bike on the market, is it. Epic in moab where you do the big drops but gotta pedal 11, 12 miles? perfect. I would highly recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Barbara

Purchased At:   Freewheeler Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   You name it, and I've probably tried it.

Bike Setup:   Got bike down to 38 lbs. Stock is 46. Was running an evolver ISX6 on it for awhile, probably the most notable thing. Lots of light weight bits.

Submitted by TobiP a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Maestro Suspension! Sweeet! Test it, ride it, you'll feel the difference right away. Pedals well uphill without too much bouncing. Easy to handle since heavy parts are positioned fairly low. It's the "u're at home, baby"- geometry. But compare for yourself! This tool really fits like a glove. I love it, I'll marry it soon...

Weaknesses:    Long chainstay, not as playful as others.
Stock setup: get rid of '08 Marzocchis as quickly as possible! Bushings have tolerance from day 1! Marzocchi goes China.
It's a Giant: lousy cable duct and crappy FSA Pig One (no sealed bearings)

Bottom Line:
Try as many bikes as possible. Good reviews don't help much if you're tool doesn't fit.

Favorite Trail:   Etterzhausen, Bombenkrater

Purchased At:   frame only at big "e

Similar Products Used:   Versus (tough guy toy), Grossman, Nicolai, Banshee Scream,...

Bike Setup:   Purchased frame/ shock set at big "e". Rock Shox Totem Coil (best FR Singlecrown)

Submitted by RYAN ZALEWSKI a Weekend Warrior from APPLETON, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    REAR SUSPENSION DESIGN, GEOMETRY, FRAME STRENGTH, GOOD COMPONENTS, GOOD FREERIDE FORK, GOOD LOOKS, GOOD VALUE-ALMOST EVERYTHING

Weaknesses:    WEIGHT-BUT OF COURSE IF IT WAS LIGHTER IT WOULD PROBABLY BE WEAKER. NOT SURE ON THE REAR SHOCK YET. FORK AND SHOCK MANUALS ARE ALMOST USELESS.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT FREERIDE BIKE AND NOT A HORRIBLE ALL MOUNTAIN. CLIMBS AND PEDALS BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE WITH THIS MUCH TRAVEL/BIG BUMP CAPABILITY. EVEN OK FOR SMALL COMMUTES (NOT THAT NORMAL RIDERS WILL USE IT FOR THIS). BRAKES WORK GREAT SO FAR, FRONT FORK WORKS GREAT ONCE BROKEN IN. I STILL NEED TO DO SOME FINE TUNING WITH THE REAR SHOCK, THE MANUAL'S SETUP INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT VERY HELPFUL. IF ALL ELSE FAILS ONE COULD TRY A FOX DHX 5.0, VIVID, OR DOUBLE BARREL. WILL SUBMIT ANOTHER REVIEW ONCE I HAVE MORE TIME ON IT.

Favorite Trail:   ANYWHERE

Purchased At:   RECYCLIST BIKE SHOP

Similar Products Used:   ALMOST EVERYTHING

Bike Setup:   STOCK '08 SPECS: MARZOCCHI ROCCO TST R REAR SHOCK AND 66 RC3 1.5 FORK, ETC.

Submitted by Jonny TPT a Downhiller from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2008

Strengths:    Bike can do it all. Fast, jumps wells, and can climb. Great for FR and DH. Super strong frame

Weaknesses:    Maybe the weight if the frame, but as you have heard before you don't feel it when riding. Forks didn't come with enough oil and kept bottoming out. E-13 chain guide moves when hit by obstacles. OH, DON'T PUSH YOUR SEAT POST DOWN TOO FAR OR YOU CAN MESS UP THE INSIDE OF YOUR FRAME POST!!

Bottom Line:
At first I had to get used to the geometry (specifically the head tube angle) but once you do, this thing is amazing! Feels super solid and can rip through anything.
Good on the steeps, but if u want to go really fast on super steeps then get the DH - however this bike is better on Jumps, drops and climbing.
If you can only afford one bike then this is the way to go.
Must be one of the best deals out there for the price!