Foes DHS Mono Downhill Full Suspension

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 10.9 MSRP : $2799.00

The 2:1 DHS Mono is an aggressive design that will change the way you think about downhill bikes. It's equipped with the 2:1 Curnutt XTD suspension, built completely by hand, and features our signature monocoque construction.

Submitted by g-money a Downhiller from littleton colorado

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    sticks like super glue, no brake jack, pimp looking, super solid, and attracts a crowd.

Weaknesses:    attracts a crowd, uses a floater specific rear hub, kinda heavy, limited shock options (if the curnutt isn't right for you). Need to send frame to Foes to get pivots replaced.

Bottom Line:
This frame is the second best frame I have ever riden (2nd to the 2:1 mono), Love the way it allows for 3" of sag, and it smooths out everything. Tends to drive through things instead of float over them, but thats no problem. super stable, and awesome overall.

Favorite Trail:   warren gulch

Similar Products Used:   demo 9,8,7, v10 vpfree and the like.

Bike Setup:   foes dhs mono, travis ti 203, 729s on hope ti hubs, 105 r der (bombproof), the usual race set-up.

Submitted by tony blair a Downhiller from london

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2005

Strengths:    jack is gay

Weaknesses:    jack is very gay

Bottom Line:
JACK IS GAY

Favorite Trail:   big ben

Purchased At:   evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   jack the gay lord

Bike Setup:   retard

Submitted by Pwadjo a Downhiller from The Dundalk

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    Unbreakable, looks mental, The xtd shock with ti spring, not too heavy, suspension doesnt make you want to throw the bike into the nearest river unlike my last frame (Remec Dh pro) Got it cheap enough, stiff as you like.

Weaknesses:    High price new (could almost buy a brooklyn) and they only make ti springs up to 450lbs when i need a 500lbs

Bottom Line:
After racing the remec and then changing to the foes i noticed the difference so much. I would say if i had the foes in the race i would have taken 10 sec off my time, its really that good. The rear end will easily take anything you can throw at it. THe bike now feels like it just wants to go forward oyu just have to hold on and let it do the work.

Purchased At:   Bernies gaff

Similar Products Used:   Yeti dh9(scrap), Orange 222 (alans donkey bike), Foes dhs tube (pogo stick and cracked to bits) santa cruz vpfree(oh yeah), Remec dh pro (not my favorite frame,although i did have the rocker on the wrong way around!)

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 66rc, hope m4s, azonic bars, ringle front wheel hadley rear

Submitted by ben thomas a Downhiller from uk

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    This bike has a few main strenghts that are its stability at speed, how good it looks and how it seems to float over everything

Weaknesses:    The price, how slow the bike feals when speeding up, its bad handling in techinical downhill tracks and the short main frame which means you often hit your legs on the top part of dual crown forks

Bottom Line:
This bike is a good bike but what draws people to the bike is what it looks like, it doesnt ride like a £2600 downhill mountain bike frame should. I own a turner dhr and i would advice anyone thinking of buying a foes to seriously consider changing their mind and purchasing a turner, the turner is so much faster and handles much better and you will save £600 which you can go and spend on something else

Similar Products Used:   turner dhr

Bike Setup:   Foes DHS Mono, Fox 40RCS, Chris King, etc bla bla bla

Submitted by scott mccarron a Downhiller from surrey

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2005

Strengths:    the looks, such high quality, the currnut is super plush sucks up every bump, the bike has so much grip and pedals like an xc bike. the bike tends to go through stuff rather than over it but it just seems to pick up more speed. before i had this my mate beat me all the time on his bike, changed now though

Weaknesses:    gives you such a big competitive advantage

Bottom Line:
if you like to go fast, race, have a competive adavantage over other bikes this is the bike for you, the frame is super strong and built to the highest qaulity. the best dh bike period. if you have the money i would recomend this bike. if not save, work harder

Favorite Trail:   astonhill

Purchased At:   cyclopeida

Similar Products Used:   sanat cruz v10, turner dhr,giant dh team, none as well balanced or fast

Bike Setup:   fox 40s, sram x.0, hope 6 pots, saint cranks, chris king and hadley hubs,tubles mavic rims,king headset, carbon easton dh bars, goodridge cables

Submitted by neal demaio a Downhiller from clintondale, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    excellent craftsmanship,super-stiff frame,floating rear brake, superior suspension technology,race geometry,confidence builder,pedals like a hardtail,cornering ability

Weaknesses:    slow-speed handling,attention-getter,49 pounds

Bottom Line:
I love this bike.The faster it goes the better it handles no matter what the conditions.The xtd fork is super-plush and super-stiff. I can't imagine any bike out there handling better than the foes at high speeds. The curnutt suspension is very easy to set-up and dial in. This bike is the ultimate confidence builder. This is my first season riding at plattekill and the bike is eating up the trails and asking for more. I only hope my skills are up to the challenge. The only negative comment I have is the bikes slow speed handling. It seems to grow beneath me at slow speeds,not the best choice for stunts and ladders,but an extremely good race bike.I totally blew a turn in my first race at plattekill(and first race ever)and still got second place. If you want a sick race bike with the ultimate in suspension technology then look no further.

Favorite Trail:   anything plattekill

Purchased At:   bike junkie

Similar Products Used:   nothing like the foes, giant ac, voodoo ti hardtail, rode my friends bullit around

Bike Setup:   curnutt xtd fork(oh yeah!),hayes brakes,diablous cranks,chris king headset, mavic 729 rims, michelin 2.8 tires, MRP

Submitted by Paul a Downhiller from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2004

Strengths:    Extremely Stiff. Confidence Builder. Jumps very stable. Floating disk brake that actually works. Pedals great. This bike and the Intense M1 are the only two bikes that I have ever ridden where the moment you jump on it you are INSTANTLY faster. I'm 6'4" and the bike is perfectly fit for me. I came from a Large DHR and absolutly HATED the way it rode...especially for Southern California, it was way too twitchy for me...and nerve racking because you have to weight the front end to get it to turn so I never knew when it would dump me.

Back to the Foes, yes it excells at wide open runs but I also know that it does very well on the tight technical trails also. There is a trail in Big Bear called Cables which I was never able to clean completety with my DHR. The very first time I took my Mono on that trail I cleaned it. UNFREAKIN' BELIEVABLE in my opinion. The ONLY other bike I'd ever trade for this one would be a BCD custom carbon frame....and I'd use the same exact dimensions from the FOES.

Weaknesses:    It is such a confidence booster that you will think to yourself "I can do that"....famous last words.

Bottom Line:
I won't lie to you...this may be the worst bike you ever ride. Its all about personal preference. To me it just so happens to be the perfect bike. But there is no perfect bike for everyone. If you ever get the chance to test ride one do it...it may change your life.

Purchased At:   H&S Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Turner DHR. Intense M1

Bike Setup:   Shiver, SRAM drive train, XTR cranks, 321 rims, Hayes brakes.

Submitted by Anthony a Downhiller from Costa Mesa

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Strengths:    *Fastest Dh bike in a straight line, on seriously steep decents. •Really stable in the air/ predictable,
*On fast open or bermed corners is in its element, two wheel slides all day long...
*when Romec is set up right, bike just comes back for more.
*Nice n stiff ...

Weaknesses:    *Creaks a lot, from when I bought it to now, even after re-greasing everything.
*Clunks and clinks all the time.
*tend to sit on it , not in it .
*Is really hard to handle in technical sections, pretty much have to go straight, or whatever way bike chooses for you .
*Is hard to carry speed in tight corners.
*have to think so far ahead and set bike up for technical sections
*head angle too mellow

Bottom Line:
I am a bit of a hater, as I lost my right kidney on my foes up at Big Bear. And changing to a small DHR has been almost life changing ..DHR's rule....!
Although if you live in Europe and ride in Portes De Soleil and all the DH courses and trails are so open and steep, I would highly recommend buying one ..But for So cal or Canadian riding I would go DHR everytime ...

Favorite Trail:   A line