Cannondale Gemini DH Downhill Full Suspension

• Hubs: Sun Ringle Abbah Lawwill
  • Spokes: DT Competition

Submitted by Marc Iwata a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2014

Strengths:    Fantastic USA build quality almost unheard of today. Ridiculous how stable in the air this bike is. Fox40, check....dhx5, check.....Magura Gustav M, check! I have the World Cup version...sexy as hell O.G. ride. A rare, handmade, capable gem. Just had the guys at my LBS smiling as they complimented her. As fun as anything on two wheels, and that's the test.

Weaknesses:    Nada.

Bottom Line:
'Nuf said.

Favorite Trail:   The Bobsled, SLC

Similar Products Used:   Intense.

Submitted by Kelly Crane a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    Unbelievable control aerially at any speed.
Phenomenal shock balance during hard compression.
High speed stability at 60mph. while suicide bomb of steepest hill in White Rock B.C.
Last and best, brakes to fly over bars at 30 mph. So kill in the air. Angelic!

Weaknesses:    Front seal was toast too quick. Odd, the other never split?!
Most under the radar ride, too good and I love that part.
Huge people that expect the engineer design team to build a bike for a non expert, monster.
I'm 5'11" 185lbs. I fly that baby 45-65 ft, land harder than usual at times and nada probs. Bud, it's called technique, pros know it.

Bottom Line:
Brilliant ride!
Fulfills my needs as a class-ass maniac!
Sometimes a company lucks out or simply in on thier best game. I know it's the latter!
Beginner bike? Re:DH. Hahaha Remember, it's called technique?!live it, learn it, know it!
Live clean, Die clean.
Sincerly, Kelly Crane

Favorite Trail:   Whistler is OK, tourist crap, North Shore kills, White Rock is fave, hard to find, the Gems are A+

Duration Product Used:   4-5 years, since new. Peninsula Cycles.

Purchased At:   Peninsula Cylcles, S

Similar Products Used:   All

Bike Setup:   Hard and fast for street terror. Mine, not yours!

Submitted by arion a Downhiller from cagayan de oro city, philippines

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    headtube,swingarm

Weaknesses:    takes time 2 tune.. so, i had to replace with Fox DHX air. The Best!!!

Bottom Line:
light and quick bike.. a RACE(DH) BIKE! that can also be your all-mtn or XC bike n just a clicks. tnx to FOX DHX AIR 5.0

Favorite Trail:   malasag trail

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Marbert

Similar Products Used:   v400

Bike Setup:   boxxer fork, dura ace derailleur and chain, saint cranks,avid brakes,e-13 chain guide,nevegal 2.35 tires.

Submitted by Jeff Katz a Downhiller from Bend OR. USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    A seemingly unbreakable, harder than nails and tougher than wood pecker lips, predictable, inspiring, single pivot downhill rocket with a perfect BB height.

Weaknesses:    A heavy, prone to componet failure and limitation(s), brake-jack producing, difficult to manual single pivot anvil with a too short wheel base.

Bottom Line:
If you appreciate single pivot bikes and you can get a decent componet package with this bike, it will suit as a beginning DH or Freeride bike. However, you will outgrow it and it's limitations as your skills advance and evolve. It has suited my needs and I have had to have Manitou re-build the shock (They took FOREVER!!!) and upgrade parts as they broke. It will rip DH in the right hands and course, but it is no huck machine. Also, if you're a bug boy like me, get a heavy shock spring, then you won't blow out the Manitou 4-way swinger as fast. C-Dale only warrantys thier FR bikes 3 years, so break accordingly! My next bike will either be a Iron Horse Sunday (DH race only) or a Banshee Scream (FR and DH) as I'm over the whole break-jack thing....

Favorite Trail:   Dirty Sanchez

Purchased At:   I forgot...

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Mongoose, Norco... They're only similar because they are DH bikes.

Bike Setup:   Panaracer FR 2.3 rubber, Dual ring E-13, M-zoke Jr. T with Heavy oil and springs, Sram chain, and those pain in the back-side Hayes 9 hydraulic brakes.

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from london, england

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Strengths:    light for type of bike, great geometry, fast, agile

Weaknesses:    stock spring, highish BB

Bottom Line:
Beautifully made frame. riding poistion and geometry is fantastic, very natural. The bottom bracket is a little high this can be good and bad. Seems to still corner like it is on rails to me. Lovely light and agile for a DH bike. I couldn't have afforded the full price full spec bike but luckily got the DH frame cheap in a sale, thanks Royles. Rear shock setup still isn't 100% dialed, I may send it to TFTuned. What it lacks in travel compared to a V10 it makes up for in agility and chuckability. I even ridden it crosscountry style at afan forest with my sherman wound down. Got to the top and flew down.

Favorite Trail:   Cwmcarn

Purchased At:   1500 (frame only)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro

Bike Setup:   manitou shermans, MTX rims, hope pro2 hubs, saint cranks, avid 5 brakes, fsa bits, tioga pedals

Submitted by thomas sinder a Downhiller from fullerton, CA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    well the reflecters are good......and the um...... tire caps and the yeah thats it

Weaknesses:    well i took of my seat and went of a curb and tried to sit down...it was bad i was bleeding.....anyways the color makes the bike heavier and the tires are to fat....i was on the fullerton loop and i got passed by a road biker...this bike is a pice of poop gone wild

Bottom Line:
this bike is good for beach riding and curb droping.....the biggest curb probaly i have done .....was about 10 inches...it was huge all my friends were scared to do it but this bike u can probaly drop off something 12 inches high...only if ur crazy...

Favorite Trail:   my street

Similar Products Used:   next power climber, magna elite, next triple

Bike Setup:   rock shock judys in the front and a spring shock from my old next it works realyy good. and i got tasels

Submitted by Romain a Weekend Warrior from France

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2006

Strengths:    Simple design
Great absortion of small and big shocks
12mm axle

Weaknesses:    1.5 head tube (pain in the butt to find the right headset)

Bottom Line:
I wanted to change my 2004 big hit comp. I had a bit of money saved and I had severed my ankle so I could spend my days on the net looking for great bargains.

I got this frame brand new in 09/2005 for half the retail price, I did the same for my boxxers and so on.
So i got about 50% off the retail price for the whole bike!

I have only been freeriding so far, it is doing great! you don't need to go super fast it is all nice and nimble, pretty light for that kind of a bike! No matter how bad you're landing you won't get surprised with this bike.

I took it to a really easy DH track, it handled really nice at high speed, you don't get much brake jack with the IBS!

All in all I'd say if you can get a bargain on the frame then go for it, it can take FR and DH really well(CG won the redbull rampage with the exact same frame). Throw in some light forks and let it rock. I would not have paid that much for a monopivot frame!

If I get rich I might swap it for a balfa or a apalache frame, not that I need it or that the frame sucks, but just to try something new!

I give full chilis for value as I got it 50% off, and 4 chilis for overall as this bike is great but it lacks that little thingy that makes you not want to have anyother bike again!

Purchased At:   chamonix

Similar Products Used:   big hit

Bike Setup:   2004 frame, gold edition, size M, boxxer team 2004, the usual Dh stuff (big tires, big brakes...)

Submitted by James a Downhiller from Thunder Bay, Ontraio, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Strengths:    On the light side but still stiff. Frame is super beefy and strong. Simple rear suspension that works very well. No brake jack due to a floating rear disk brake. The bike feels so stable at high speeds. Makes you want to go faster and do bigger jumps/drops.

Weaknesses:    It costs so much.
The stock tires are very heavy.

Bottom Line:
This bike is mint. Geometry is spot on. The Manitou' work so nicely together. What else can I say it is perfect. This bike is for wana-be pros. It is perfect for DH but is still good for freeride.

Purchased At:   Cycle-Path

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz VP-Free, Kona Stinky, Brodie Diablo.

Bike Setup:   100% stock. Dorado, Swinger 6-way ect.

Submitted by Rudi Gale from Logatec

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2005

Strengths:    Weight, handling, look, simplicty...just everything

Weaknesses:    Price, i think it's sold only as a complete bike...you cannot buy just a frame

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've ever ridden. I only wish I could afford it. This is my dream bike...

Bike Setup:   Fox 40RC forks

Submitted by Pierre Blomdahl a Downhiller from Gothenburg, Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2005

Strengths:    Supereasy handling, jumpfriendly and corners like a sportscar, relatively lightweight

Weaknesses:    Kind of flexy in the rear, Expensive

Bottom Line:
Best bike i´ve had! Lucky me i got sponsored with it, otherwise i would not have been able to pay for it because cannondale´s are not the cheapest bikes in town but they´re damn good..

Favorite Trail:   Åre Mountain

Purchased At:   My job, Cykelspec

Similar Products Used:   24-bikes Le dude, Specialized Bighit, Santa cruz Bullit

Bike Setup:   Team replica frame size small
Shimano 105 rear mech
Easton vice stem, EA50 Monkeybar, EA30 seatpost
Easton Flatboy pedals
Lizard skins Lock-on grips
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7", Minion DHR 2.5"

Submitted by Stefan Roeder a Downhiller from Cologne, Germany

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2005

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Perfect Goemetry, very good Set Up, easy to handle, Fast ! Best DH Bike I've ever ridden !!!

Weaknesses:    Chain rubs a bit at the rear wheel when at the small gear in the front 26/and biggest gear in the back !

Bottom Line:
After only a month of riding the bike and having found a perfect set up for me,I have to admit that I am completely in love with that bike. I think I will never challenge the limits of that bike (not in this life I suppose) but I can get an idea why Cedric Garcia uses this bike.... The 888 with the lower crown matches the frame perfect and I am looking forward to the 2005 DH-season !!!!! It's a speed machine !!!!

Favorite Trail:   Lenzerheide/CH