Canfield Brothers Formula 1 Downhill Full Suspension

4.69/5 (13 Reviews)

• Travel - 9"
  • Stand over - 29"
  • Seat tube angle - 55.4 degrees
  • Bottom bracket height - (568mm long fork) - 14.3"
  • Head angle - 66 degrees (568mm long fork)
  • Frameset - 7005 alloy frame, 7075 links

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Evan a Downhiller from New York

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    Strong bike - takes drops to perfection. Fast and smooth as well

Weaknesses:    are you kidding??

Bottom Line:
    Awesome ride. I had a Banshee before this and that too, was a great, strong beast. The Formula, is just like it, but perhaps better. It's much lighter and its much smoother around the turns and faster going downhill. I couldn't stop smiling. I also love doing drops and at first was skeptical that it wouldn't hold up to the Banshee. But after reading all the reviews, I took it for some good drops and it did the job perfectly and begged for more. This is my ultimate dream bike that i wanted for awhile now. This is a downhill race bike, however, I don't race and do mostly freeriding, as well as downhill. So as far as beiing called a race bike, don't let that stop you from getting your hands on one. I happen to come across a great deal and didn't have to think twice about getting this top rated frame. I hope you're able to do the same. It is well worth the money, and you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo, Highland

Purchased At:   Racer's Edge - brooklyn

Similar Products Used:   Banshee Scream, Turner RFX

Bike Setup:   Mag 30 rims w/ Hadley hubs, Code brakes, Avalanche front and rear shock, Profile crank, Dangerboy stem and pedals, Spank bar

Submitted by Travis Allen a Downhiller from so cal

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, stable, confidence inspiring, good design.

Bottom Line:
    I have been pounding this bike for over a year from the NW to So Cal and racing this season as well as freeriding inbetween and some urban. I have landed 9' flats (several times) to gaps, doubles, step downs monster rock gardens on tunnel trail in SB and more....
    I am impressed with the build quality, strength and the stability of this product. I ordered the new JEDI based on my experience with this frame. i have no hesitations of riding something they release thats new, the brothers know their stuff....

The guy who flamed below is indeed a very dim whitted individual!
    They are DH/FR bikes, we pound them stuffs going to break on them. Thats are issue not theirs, if it fails right away then yeah or a weld breaks in a reasonable amount of time then fine. A couple of years beating a bike is a long time and thats up to you at that point!!!

Favorite Trail:   too many!!!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   karpiel armageddon, rm7, bullit, gt dhi and more.........

Bike Setup:   888 wc, middleburns, ti king headset, I9's, avy with ti spring, SDG saddle and Ibeam, XO......

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Cedar city UT

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Strengths:    Everything! looks great, feels amazing,i am no racer, so i dont care what people say about the longer wheel base, i always feel like im over the center of the bike. bombs throw any rock garden with ease and flies high.

Weaknesses:    no frame weakness! i built the bike kinda heavy, some where between 50-60lbs. so when my friends say its hard to pedal its because of the weight. they just gotta suck it up. but if your willing to pay the money you can built it nice and light.

Bottom Line:
    Grate bike. best all around hardcore free ride bike with the ability to race DH. i put my heart, soul, and ever penny i had into this bike. theres not a day that goes buy that it dosnt make me smile. and if you still cant look past longer wheel base and tiny bit of extra weight look at the 08 f1 jedi shorter and lighter! Ready to race

Favorite Trail:   Any DH

Purchased At:   shuntavi Bikes

Similar Products Used:   none like it (none that I've tried)

Bike Setup:   2007 f1, 06 marzocchi 888RC2X, halo sas rims, 2.7 tires, truvativ crank + bb, crapmano gear set up, and hays brakes ,... oh and lots of old tubes lining the tires and parts of the frame to prevent flats and dents to the frame.

Submitted by Josh a Downhiller from Traverse City, MI

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    Great geometry, low and slack. Absolutly silent, all you hear is tires hitting the ground. Makes you a better rider, the rearward travel design dosn't hook on rocks or roots. No brake jack, and it pedals great. 83mm BB and 150mm rear end. Bottomless and so plush.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    If you want to be faster? This is it. My experience with canfield bros. was great. Chris was super helpful, and my F1 shipped the same day. I am 6'0" and 210lbs and the set up was just right. If you like to go big, I mean Bender big or you just want to move up a DH class then the F1 is the ticket.

Favorite Trail:   Bob-It

Purchased At:   Canfield Brothers

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz VP-Free, Santa Cruz Bullit, Trek session 10, Kona Stab, Kona Stinky, Iron Horse 7 point

Bike Setup:   2007 Medium Formula One: Fox DHX 5.0 w/ 550 ti spring, Marzocchi 2005 888 works, saint cranks, mrp chain guide, mavic 729 on DT swiss 440 hubs, maxxis minion 2.7 fr. mobster 2.7 back, diabolus bar and stem, Hayes HFX mags 8in, Thompson post, Diety fr saddle and so on.

Submitted by Cody a Downhiller from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    04/05 Formula: geometry, standover, agility, stiffness, amazing ability to carry speed and tame any trail. This bike will increase your confidence tenfold.

Weaknesses:    Tight fit for rear shock. My roco had to have the rebound nob modified to fit, DHX is fine. No iscg tab.

Bottom Line:
    This bike rides like nothing else I'd been on. What it does is bail you out of situations that should send you to the ground. It doesn't hang up, it doesn't slow down. You can jump into a rock garden and stay loose, the bike will do the rest. I am constantly amazed how far out there this frame lets you push it. Only thing that worries me is when I do go down, I'll be going far faster than a different bike would have me going and I'll get broken again. It is also incredibly nimble for its travel. Jumps and corners like a bike far smaller. Really is so much fun to ride, recommend a non-platform shock.

What is with the guy complaining about the links. Ride something for 3 years, a piece wears out and expect a free replacement. Pretty ridiculous to expect a warranty in that situation with a DH bike. A lot of abuse can be dished out in 3 years in the UK and you have to realize that the Canfields don't get replacement links for free. Seems pretty unfair to mark them down for that reason alone.

Similar Products Used:   VpFree, v10, Devinci Ollie, Cove Shocker, Giant Glory, Intense Socom, Giant DH, Transition Gran Mal

Bike Setup:   Roco world cup rear shock, Boxxer Team front. Code brakes, SRAM drivetrain. Maxxis rubber on doubletrack rims.

Submitted by Sean a Downhiller from Toronto

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2007

Strengths:    Stupid fast, very huckable and runs over everything. You hardly notice the size of the rocks you are rolling over at high speeds not to mention small animals. Only had to replace bearings which is normal for the abuse I have been giving it. My skill level has jumped 3 fold since riding my turner DHR.

Weaknesses:    Only think I would change to make this bike faster is change the rider. Other then the bike wanting more from me there is no weakness other then my own ability. And I'm not slouch

Bottom Line:
    This is the 2004 f1 but still nothing matches the bikes ability to get threw anything you throw at it. After speaking with Chris Canfield about the design we have some options to make it more like the new Jedi.

Not to mention that the Brothers are some really stand up guys. Awesome customer service and just plane great people and I commend them for their awesomeness :)

Purchased At:   Golden CO.

Similar Products Used:   Glory, DHR, Sunday, VPfree, V10

Bike Setup:   04 F1, Northshore cranks, Avalanche DHS custom valved rear shock, 2002 shiver that will be soon changed to a 2008 Avalanche DHF 8 MT.

Submitted by spencer corbridge a Downhiller from lindon, utah, united sates.

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    very fast and smooth. it handles amazingly in rock gardens and is very smooth in the tranny and it increases your riding confiedence all around.

Weaknesses:    I love it and can't really complain about anything.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike! it is everything i want a bike to be. in the previous review it talked about cracks in the frame. i also have cracks in my frame. the canfields were amazingly nice and understanding, they are some of the nicest and easy to work with people i have met. i look forward to the 2008 formula one jedi frame, and their other bikes that are new for 2008. bottom line i love my canfield bike and will ride them forever!

Favorite Trail:   deer valley ncs

Purchased At:   the all mountain cycle company

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz v10, iron horse sunday cup.etc

Bike Setup:   marzocchi 888rcx2 worldcup, marzocchi roco world cup. etc

Submitted by Dave Danio a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    Everything, VERY fast rolling, light! great angles, fantastic pedaler

Weaknesses:    Bearings wear quick in the uk weather but last a good 6-7months

Bottom Line:
    After 2 years I noticed cracks in the lower links, I told Canfield and they said It's ok, nothing to worry about!!! So I took their advice. One year later the rear end began to get very flexy. I told Canfield and they seemed very un-helpful, almost avoiding my emails. When I mentioned the flexing problem I thought they may return the email with some concern or regard to the fact their product is failing and being a small company they may want to help me out but the reply email was pretty simple and read "it seems you've ovalised the link, new ones are £300" that was it! jeeee Thanks! I loved my Canfield and loved being a Canfield owner but not any more. They are only concerned about making money and are not true riders as they claim to be. I plugged canfield everywhere I went in the world and even did web reviews on certain magazines and they couldn't give a dam! So my word on Canfield is buy one if you want poor hobbiest product with no support, back up, respect and gratitued. I used to say Canfield for life but now I say Canfield Suck! Stay clear of them

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Bighit, Demo 8, Orange 223, giant dh team, intense M3, M1, Santa V10 etc

Bike Setup:   Fox fortys, cane creak shock, Persist Components crown and stem, king and hadley hubs on mavic 823 rims saint cranks and brakes with X0 gears

Submitted by Travis Allen a Downhiller from Id

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    Fast, Fast and Oh yeah faster! It rails corners better than originally thought. This is a follow up review due to I now bought a Large white F1 also. It handles drops spot on. Makes landing feel secure and extremely stable.

Weaknesses:    None, originally I said the bank turns but after getting some ride time on it it fly's through them. So no weekness IMO.

Bottom Line:
    I now have to F1 frames a medium red (from Jerry) and a large F1 from Canfield. I wanted a frame a little bigger to fit me and have since found a use for both. The large is my all around DH race and big huck set up and the medium is my jump/FR/N.shore style set up.
    Take the F1 into serious consideration when looking into bikes, It is beyond a contender its a straigh outright winner and pinner. It rails, drops, hucks, accellerates and to be frank owns the terrain. I am getting some serious ride time on some technical areas now and fast lines that are tight and this is definently a fast bike.
    I could not be happier, I have done single pivots/4 links/swing arm styles and yet to find such a diversified bike till now.
    Canfield F1 is an extreme descender and amazing bike.

BTW: I am 6'3" I recomend a Large with a short stem (45-55mm)
    you can get away with a Medium with a 55-70mm stem. its a little tight but not bad and will definently be a N. shore style set up, granted the medium is definently more nimble.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Canfield

Similar Products Used:   My medium F1 (still have), Karpiel armageddon, Bullit (3), RM7 etc...

Bike Setup:   Large F1. 888wc, mono 6ti, db levers and integrated stem, I-9 wheelset, avy DHS x9 etc...

Submitted by Hunter from MT

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Looks
    design consideration
    carries momentum better than all of them
    durable
    Great people to work with and great service
    can fit any type of shock
    Corners really well
    Maintains momentum again

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware. maybe weight but there extremely durable

Bottom Line:
    Great bike. Needs to be considered with the rest of them. Maintains momentum better than any bike due to linkage set-up. It is a ride owned an operated and they put there bike to the test. Chris is an amazing racer and has some huge results on his bike. It can do anything you want and pedal well. Bottom line is how well is smooths the ride and keep momentum where others slow you down.

Similar Products Used:   V10, M1, M3, Glory, Sunday, EL cuervo

Bike Setup:   Rode a friends on the rockiest terrain at Big Sky Resort.

Submitted by Rich Steels a Downhiller from Derby, Uk

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Weaknesses:    Bearings wear quick in the uk weather but last a good 6-7months

Bottom Line:
    This is the only frame I've ridden that I gelled with from the minute I got on it. I've never ridden a bike that speeds up when you ride over big rocks etc. It's light weight (sub 40lb) pedals like a hardtail and has endless travel. I've had a Fox vanilla, dhx 5 and now a cane creak on this bike and so far the cane creak makes the riding charateristics unbelievable. This bike definately inspired confidence in my riding and has made me faster much to my friends disapointment who actually reconmended this frame! If you want a bike that can handle anything you throw at it from effing big drops to neck breaking high speeds with agility GET A FORMULA ONE! you won't be disapointed. I'm riding Canfield for Life. Period

Purchased At:   Canfield Brothers

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Bighit, Demo 8, Orange 223, giant dh team etc

Submitted by Travis Allen a Downhiller from Idaho

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    Completely bump sensative big or small, endless travel feeling. blows through ruogh stuff as well as lands incredible off big stuff.

Weaknesses:    Don't have 2 of them. A little slow in the bermed corners but doable, it's just a little diferent riding style thats all.

Bottom Line:
    If you ahve the means and like to go big it is strongly recomended. Rearward arch travel seems limitless when landing, compared to the 11" on my armageddon it seems like it has more and I weigh 220 so thats saying alot.
    It is without a dout designed by guys who like to go big and race.

BTW: Jerry got a sponsorship racing and that is the only reason he sold the frame. This was his second.

Favorite Trail:   any!

Purchased At:   Jerry from below

Similar Products Used:   armageddon, bullit, gtdh, fsr, bullit again, etc...

Submitted by Jerry a Downhiller from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Strengths:    Soaks up everything. Absolutely no brake jack. From the small bumps to the huge hits, you can ride this bike and it will be pretty much perfect for any kind of hit without having to adjust the shock.

Weaknesses:    It's a little spendy, but what do you expect with a frame this nice? Small amount of drag due to the upper pully, but it really isn't that bad once you have the chainguide setup properly. Wheelbase is a little long, but you get used to it pretty quick.

Bottom Line:
    This is a sick bike, other than this bike I would suggest the sunday, but we already knew the sunday was a sick bike! The F1 soaks up every little bump in your path as you're pedaling through a rocky section sprinting towards the next section. pretty much no pedal bob due to the upper pully. Once you have you cadence up because there's less slow motion body movement activiating the suspension, it feels like you're pedaling a 6" bike, but it's still soaking up all those gnarly rocks and feels like a 12" bike because of it.

On big drops, or gaps it will take off the lip great, feels super stable in the air, and lightly touches down on the other side with pretty much no feel of wanting to buck you off. It soaks up big landings great.

It's just a great all around DH race or big huck bike.

Favorite Trail:   Gate, HMO, No Joke