Airborne Taka Downhill Full Suspension

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

With its 8" of travel and 66/60? DH-specific geometry, Marzocchi 888RV fork and SRAM drivetrain with e*thirteen chain guide, the Taka can handle any downhill you can. And probably more. Makes for a great freeride bike, too. New for this season, the Taka now comes with the Rockshox KAGE R rear shock!

Submitted by Elijah Lunt a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    Price, Durability, Single pivot design

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Struggle to find parts, Can't fit a normal chain-stay guard, Airborne Taka = Iron Horse Yakuza, None others so far

Bottom Line:
This is my first downhill bike and I am surprised at how well this compares to other top brands like Specialized. I have two friends who own a Status II and a Demo 8 II and they were both amazed at how plush this bike was and the size. The term "Tank" and "Bomb Proof" come up a lot around this bike and it is very true. Even though my Taka does not have a single original part other than the frame, you cannot go wrong with the price. It is sad to see that airborne has also stopped making these too. Couldn't be more happy with this as my first downhill bike!

Favorite Trail:   Bountiful B

Purchased At:   Used

Bike Setup:   Deity Black Label Handelbars, SunLine direct mount stem, Avid bb7 brakes, Sram x9 derailluer, 2012 marzocchi 888 cr, Sunringle MTX 33 wheels, Kenda Nevegal tires, Marzocchi Roco WC air, Truvativ Hussefelt 1.1 DH, Bontrager Big Earl Pedals

Submitted by BSCR250 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2012

Strengths:    The Frame seems strong, nice parts spec for 1400 bucks.
Rear suspension is simple and the most plush I have ridden (although this is my first downhill bike).
Handles some decent size drops, and rocky trails well.
Pretty light, especially at this price range. My bathroom scale says 41 pounds.

Weaknesses:    The assembly This bike should be fully broken down and rebuilt upon arrival. Nothing was properly greased and the shifters and chain length and brakes were not adjusted correctly. Also the rear shock was mounted so the rebound adjuster was upside down, and the linkage came loose. As others have said the shock and pivot bushings aren't great, and mine have some wear from not being greased out of the box. After greasing the bushings and tightening everything down, there is little flex, and it works smoothly.

Front fork is heavy takes a while to get used too, for a downhiller the stem angle should be slacker (Taka is 66 degrees). The front fork is a little sticky, and flexy and the weight takes a while to get used too. Also it only has a rebound adjuster and on drops ~4 feet to flat it tends to bounce unless the rebound is almost maxed out to slowest.

This is a rebranded iron horse. No full length seat-tube, so you have to cut the post if you wanna drop it all the way. Derailleur is stiff and does not feel high quality, shifts reliably though. Mine stuck in 1st gear for a while til it broke in.

Pedal bobs pretty bad once you stand up out of the seat, probably because it has 8 inches of travel.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike 3 months ago size 17, I'm 5'11 and the fit is pretty good, great size for going downhill, could go a size up for pedalling on flat or going uphill. I have about 200 miles on it and so far it's been pretty good and reliable. This is my do everything bike, and has been used more as a all mountain bike than as a straight downhiller. Although I like to go fast and jump on the downhills, so I've been able to test it at speed through rough terrain. Therefore I switched out the 40t chainring for a 32t and I can go up everything but the steepest uphills that my friends on xc bikes usually end up pushing up too. I like having 1 chainring up front, and It's really nice having a big bike once the trail turns downhill. Overall this bike is a great deal, as It's hard to find a downhill/all mountain bike under 1500 bucks. However, I don't think you'll see any top professional riders on it because it is not the best thing out there. Nonetheless it is a great deal, and a great entry level downhiller.

PS I have no affiliation with Airborne.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs point, Black Mountain (SD)

Purchased At:   airborne.com

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse Warrior Pro DS 2006
Canondale Scalpel 2012 with lots of upgrades

Bike Setup:   Stock except a 32t front chainring for the ups.

Submitted by jtmoreau a Downhiller from greenland nh USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap Cheap Cheap

Weaknesses:    The rear shock mounting hardware and bushings

Bottom Line:
STAY AWAY, this bike is cheap, but that is the only positive. I bought one of these a year ago, it came out of the box with play in the rear shock bushings, airborne sent me multiple sets of bushings and even a new rear shock and nothing fixed it so they ended up giving me an entire new bike. I thought this was great, until the new bike had the same exact issue. Three months of heavy riding, two rear shocks, and several new sets of bushings later my problem was still very bad, bad enough that I wore out the entire inner eyehole of the shock and bent my rear mounting bolts. After telling airborne that I couldnt even get the shock out because of the bolts being bent, they told me that they know about the issue, and have no solution for it, and offered me a full refund for the bike. I took the refund, sent their peice'O junk back and bought a real bike. In short, they know that their bushings dont work in their shocks, but they continue to sell their bikes knowing they are not up to spec, stay away from these bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Highland MTB park

Purchased At:   giantnerd

Similar Products Used:   Kona operator dh

Bike Setup:   Mine was stock

Submitted by CL1234 a Downhiller from Mountainside

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Strengths:    The bike is a very sold, well built bike.

*Eat up drops, roots, rock gardens with ease
*good components
*suspension is GREAT
*would not of hit some features without this bike

Weaknesses:    The fork springs are too soft for me, weighing 210, needed to update to a firmer spring

Bottom Line:
Overall, this bike is AWESOME!!!. I have ridden a few other downhill bike costing nearly 4-6 thousand in MSRP. Even though these bike are top of the line, I feel the Taka holds up to its rep while it feels and rides like these expensive bikes. YOU WONT be upset with this bike!!! PERIOD!!!

The taka takes the cake! It definitely feels like a 4-6 thousand dolla bike at a cheaper price...BUY one, you cannot go wrong!

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride Park

Purchased At:   airbornebicycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek, yakuza downhill

Bike Setup:   all stock, new headset and handle bars

Submitted by poontank a Cross Country Rider from Oconomowoc, WI

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    Value!!!!!! A great package for the money. Solid Suspension, drive train and braking system. It's eaten up everything I've thrown at it thus far.

Weaknesses:    Tires are not great on hard packed sand.

Bottom Line:
The Airborne Taka is an incredibly fun bike to ride and an outstanding value. Despite being a 40+ lbs downhill bike, it feels designed to take flight. Once airborne, it is well composed and confidence inspiring because of it's predictability. And what good is all that if a bike can't handle the landing? No problem for the Taka. Landings are eaten up with ease by the Marzocchi shock and fork combination. The ride was, dare I say, plush (this is coming from a rider who normally rides aggressive xc and knows about plush). The bike begs to be ridden fast through it's FSA/SRAM drivetrain. No matter how fast you're going, it seems to scream at you "faster!!!!" And I was only so happy to oblige. As speeds increased, so did the smile on my face. Controlling the speed are a set of Avid Juicy 3's which perform the task with no fuss. The Maxis Minion's on the WTB laserdisc wheels are not the stickiest tires in cornering on hard packed sand, but they work well in the loose stuff and don't complain under heavy braking.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mounds

Bike Setup:   Airborne Taka with Answer Protaper DH 780 handlebars, Rove FR pedals and Fall Line DH lock on grips.

Submitted by sacredg a Downhiller from Roanoke, Va

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2010

Strengths:    For the price you will not find a better bike. It comes stock with Marzocchi suspension. including a Marz 888 and a Roco coil rear. the bike is ready to take out of the box, and hit the trails, no upgrades or modifications needed. the drivetrain is solid and has good components like the LG1 chainguide. The brakes are good for the price and come with 203mm rotors to help get it stopped. the cockpit is setup nicely with Kore components. the bike is simple plush and comes with a 20mm front and 12X150 rear. it is stiff and preforms like a bike worth twice as much. It has it were it counts but does not waste money on upgraded components that will raise the price. at 40 lbs out of the box it needs a small diet but is on par with many other non race DH rigs.

Weaknesses:    The grips. They would have been better using duct tape.

Bottom Line:
For the price you can't get a better bike. quality parts that will last you till you can save up for upgrades. a lifetime warranty on the frame. 40lbs out of the box, 8" of plush travel. it will get you out and on a quality DH machine for less, but preform like a bike costing twice as much. If you are a seasoned racer, a grom, a convert from XC or just want to try a new brand you can't go wrong. I have had the bike a few months, rode it at seaotter, and also in the mountains of VA. I have seen it preform in Moab and take on everything that it was pointed at. The bottom line is you can't go wrong. I gave it a value rating of 5 because of the build and quality for the price. but gave it a 4 for overall because you can always be better. Airborne is a old company with new blood at the helm, and they want to see happy people on bikes. You will not be sorry.

Favorite Trail:   The Gauntlet

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher King fisher, Transition blindside, versus Weapon X, and many others.

Bike Setup:   I changed my setup and personalized it to suit me. I added a set of Raceface atlas FR bars,on a holzfeller stem, new ODI grips, Elixir CR break set, upgrading the cassette to a pg990 26/11 with a Sram Force road rear mech. also adding a x9 or xo rear shifter. everything else is staying stock for now, or until i mess it up

Heads up for Taka owners

This is a friendly heads up for anyone who has a Taka. The 888 rv that comes equip on the Taka is a 2007 model. And yes, it's a pretty big difference. The 2007 has smaller stanchions (35mm instead of the 2011s 38mm) and different size springs. Unfortunately, I had to find this out the hard way becau ... Read More »

New Taka - anyone have pics or info?

A month or so back I found some pics of the new Taka in testing (seemed very similar to the Transition TR-450). I can't seem to find that info anymore though. Any know where there is more info on this new version?Read More »

need airborne taka size help...

Hi, I'm ready to order my Taka. I usually ride a large (19 or 20 inch) frame. I am 5'11" and have a 32 inch inseam. I was told by several people that it is a good idea to size down for a DH bike. Does this sound right? Also, If anyone knows if the stock taka springs are adequate for a 1 ... Read More »

Airborne taka?

I saw how cheap this bike was and was wondering if anybody had experience with it. How does it handle? is it worth getting or is there another dh bike that is complete for less than 3 grand worth getting instead?Read More »

Last minute second guessing Taka vs. Vexx

Looking to buy my first downhill rig and I am second guessing things here. I am torn between the Sette Vexx DH on pricepoint or an Airborne Taka. Pretty much looking to spend $2300 at most for a capable DH bike to ride at Platty and Whiteface. Help me figure this out! Been trying to look around ... Read More »