Specialized P.2 DJ/MtnX

4.49/5 (157 Reviews)

The "P' in "P. Bikes" doesn't stand for "Pretty". No fluff and no sparkly stuff. Just bombproof rides that mix advanced technology and top-shelf materials with geometry proven in the street, park and dirt. The P.2 Cr-Mo can ride it all, but is most at home on the dirt jumps.

• Butted singlespeed-specific Reynolds 520 Cr-Mo frame with integrated head tube, MID BB, and 3D-forged horizontal dropouts with integrated chain tensioner has perfectly dialed geos for dirt, park, or street
  • 80mm-travel X Fusion ENIX R fork features hydraulic damping with compression and rebound adjustments to take the edge off larger hits.
  • Low-flange, 36-hole wheels with rear Cro-Mo axle, sealed cartridge bearings and rear 14mm cassette with 12t driver; double-walled and eyeleted 26" alloy rims are built to withstand endless abuse
  • High-volume, impact-absorbing Specialized tires give you the versatility to ride dirt, park or street
  • BMX style, 3-piece tubular Cr-Mo crankset is strong and light to boost with confidence; press-in MID BB is light, durable, and easy to service; singlespeed 25t chainring resists bending and delivers the clearance you need
  • P. Lo Pro nylon platform pedals w/ molded pins for lightweight and strong performance
  • One-piece, CNC'd, 12t, Cr-Mo cog is designed to be strong and durable
  • Super-light and padded, durable one-piece saddle/post combo can take a serious beating
  • One-piece saddle/post combo can take a serious beating

Submitted by p2rider426

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    Can take it out of the box and ride a little bit of everything. Urban, dj, street, park, and whatever you want without too much hassle.

Weaknesses:    crappy wheelset, weight

Bottom Line:
Not really worth the retail price, but if you can find a deal on a used one they are a great way to get into the hardtail scene. I upgraded to an Azonic Outlaw rear wheel and it was the best money I ever spent on that bike.

Submitted by kIckbAck a Downhiller from sonora,CA / US

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    super light and just amazing to ride.

Weaknesses:    brakes super loud when they get wet.
and tires aren't the greatest.
so swap them out.

Bottom Line:
this is a great dj bike and even good of some down hill racing. so i use it for everything i do i love this bike and im hooked on it.

Favorite Trail:   dragoon gultch

Purchased At:   pinkbike.com

Similar Products Used:   non

Submitted by daschlag a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2011

Strengths:    This review is for a 2009 aluminum P2. Great geometry, very long top tube (~23.5") for a one-size-fits-all bike, very short chainstays, horizontal dropouts, this bike loves to jump and is easy to control in the air (what little air I manage to get anyway). This bike builds confidence quickly.

Weaknesses:    Stock rims are pretty weak, stock handlebar and stem are lame.

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'6" 200 lbs and this bike works for me, with a setback post, 50mm rise bars, and 50mm/10 degree rise stem to create a little more space in the cockpit. I've fought the urge to buy a "hybrid" DJ/trail bike (like the Kona Shred, Giant Bass, etc) which would fit a little better, but would not be as fun. The P2 is like a skateboard in bike form.

Favorite Trail:   My block

Purchased At:   CL

Similar Products Used:   None - my first jump bike.

Bike Setup:   Running single speed, XT chainring, Hussefelt cranks/bb, e13 bash guard, Deity twenty14 bar, RaceFace D2 stem, Rhyno Lite rear rim, Ritchey Comp setback seatpost, Specialized Lo Pro Mag 2 pedals, everything else is stock.

Submitted by 2special4you a Weekend Warrior from fresno, ca

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2011

Strengths:    Love this bike. Jumps on auto pilot.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. If you can find one of Craigslist for under 300. Buy it!

Favorite Trail:   woodward park dirt jumps

Purchased At:   CL bikes

Similar Products Used:   Dj50

Bike Setup:   Single speed

Submitted by dirtjumper96 a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    strong frame, great for jumping, trail riding and lots more!

Weaknesses:    discs are squeaky if they're wet, a little bit heavy

Bottom Line:
overall great bike and worth the price i paid, i would defiantly recommend it, best bike i ever had

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Bike Setup:   stock 2008 P2, dj2 forks, hayes stroker ryde hydraulic discs

Submitted by michael kuyper a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Strengths:    The geomtry is aswome, you can manual and wheelie as long as you want pretty much. jumps are a breeze. bunny hopping is great. real light and good all rounder for dirt, street and skate park.

Weaknesses:    The rims, they held up for about a month but now the rear has a slight buckel and I just bent the front completly, when i under rotated a 360 into sand

Bottom Line:
Its the first bike i have owned in 5 years and on my 2nd ride and a good set up jump i landed a 360 with in 3 trys.Its awsome (the bike jumps for you). I also folow my mates on their down hill bikes and it holds up over pretty big jumps. Then after work its still great for mucking round the street doing wheelies manuals etc...

over all awsome bike just watch out for rims

Favorite Trail:   woodhill

Purchased At:   Advanti plus

Similar Products Used:   kona scrap 5 years ago.

Bike Setup:   completly satndard. but looking to single speed and the new rims im getting ofcourse.

Submitted by mmoorebmx a Racer from kuna id us

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    diggin the geometry,brakes work really well,28" width bars, comes pretty set up out of the box!!!

Weaknesses:    wish it had the marzochhi 20m fork instead of 80m

Bottom Line:
i really like the bikei hope i get used to have suspension if not i will be getting a 20 mil travel fork!!! i can hold my own on a bike and its holding up to some pretty hard park and trail rideing so far!!! GOOD BIKE FOR THE BUCK, CANT GO WRONG!!

Favorite Trail:   park/trails

Purchased At:   caffertys cyclery na

Similar Products Used:   i ride 20" first few days on 26" and suspension!!

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock 2011 p.2 swapped pedalsand grips, stiffened upfork!!

Submitted by Kergan a Downhiller from England, south east, brighton

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    Durable frame,brakes are excellent overall a great bike.

Weaknesses:    The sr suntours were a disapointing.

Bottom Line:
The p.2 is an excellent bike and has sereved me well!!!

Favorite Trail:   Norshore

Purchased At:   Evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   Scott voltage yz 15

Bike Setup:   Stcok but bomber DJ1`s because the suntours were rubbish.

Submitted by Coolguy a Weekend Warrior from elk grove California

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2010

Strengths:    Good geometry, sold bike.

Weaknesses:    The guy I bought it from put some mavic 729 rims on there with a quick release and you cant run quick release with horizontal dropouts, So my tire is always gettin jacked up.

Bottom Line:
Good Bike for some play riding, I wouldnt do anything to crazy with it.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   2005 short frame with odi crosstrainer lock on grips, A kenda small block 8 front tire, and a wtb nano raptor back tire. i have a ss kit on. And Mavic 729 rims, soon to be azonic outlaws.

Submitted by AngusGoesMoo a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely sturdy frame. Good suspension too. With the right gear added on, you can make it look like a sexy creamsicle. Thats what i did for mine. Orange and white for almost everything.

Weaknesses:    Wheels. I suggest that you sell them while you can still make a buck and get some dirtjumper rims. Anything but alexrims(brutally misadvertised, most of their products should be used for cross country only) and its made of chromoly. Great for weighing you down.

Bottom Line:
Wonderfully sturdy bikes, but i dont like how they cut corners on the wheels. Also, last time i buy a chromoly bike. Heavier than your sh*t after a night of mexican food. As for the asterisk, use your imagination. I just didn't want my review removed.

Favorite Trail:   Komenda skatepark

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle and Sk

Similar Products Used:   NS Holy, Norco Havoc, Giant STP1, Giant Brass 1

Bike Setup:   NS Aerial pedals, ACS freewheel, Syncros DP25 rims with DMR revolver hubs.

Submitted by Dj-VT a Weekend Warrior from Vermont

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Frame and tires seem to be the best

Weaknesses:    WHEELS, the stock specialized wheels suck and all the other specialized brand components

Bottom Line:
Once you upgrade the wheels and some other stuff this bike is sick. Specialized gave the 09 models different geometry this year and it is so much better than previous years

Favorite Trail:   My secret trails

Purchased At:   Ski Rack

Similar Products Used:   Giant stp

Bike Setup:   2009 specialized p.2, rock shox argyle 409, new wheels, shimano slx crankset, sunline v-one bars

Submitted by CodyYankey a Weekend Warrior from Atsugi,Japan

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame! Nice package to learn with.

Weaknesses:    The grips, pedals, and HUBS!

Bottom Line:
It has been great to ride. I dirt jumped it for 2 years while in Florida, and it was great! I took some nasty falls, and it stood up well. I have had to replace both the hubs on the bike, the pedals, and the grips. Now that I am in Japan it is not as easy to find dirt jumps, so I put on some street tires, went single speed, and have had a blast with it! It is fun to urban ride, and try some light "trials" riding with. It has inspired others to ride with me, and improved my riding 10 fold over the old hardrock I had. The 2006 is a better option if you can get a good deal on it, but this one is still just as fun!

Favorite Trail:   Santoes

Purchased At:   Jacksonville, Florid

Submitted by xist a Racer from cali

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2008

Strengths:    geometry is sick, love the style n feel to it

Weaknesses:    its a little bit heavy but got use to it n throw it around like nothing

Bottom Line:
just get up n ride , don't let your bike sit and the tires deflate and get a flat spot...

Favorite Trail:   g spot

Purchased At:   simi bikeworks

Similar Products Used:   specialized big hit

Bike Setup:   truvative cranks n headset specialized armadillo hesmisphere street tires ,

Submitted by Plats a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Tx

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    Bike practically jumps for you

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
Got a 2008 P2 Aluminum, I am an older guy wanting to try DJ'ing and urban riding before the clock runs out on this type activity. I messed around with pump tracks and DJ'ing on wife's 15 inch mountain bike, it did okay. Had my eye on this P bike for some time, it essentially had many similarities to my wifes bike's geometry and I was not sure if I should get it. Anyway, wow, this thing jumps on autopilot and makes the wifes 15 inch MTB feel dangerous in comparison. Someone over at Specialized spent some time dialing on this bike to make it an autojumper. I am a beginner at DJ, and this is my first DJ bike, all I can say is I am very happy with the purchase. Don't let the P Bike haters steer you away from this bike, if you taco the wheels, just get new ones. I will say that this bike seems very dialed for DJ'ing, not so sure it is a great pavement trick bike, though (manuals are very difficult on this bike). But, I mainly bought it to jump, and it seems to do this very well.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut

Similar Products Used:   15 inch fully rigid Giant bike (wife's bike turned DJ'er)

Bike Setup:   OEM

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2008

Strengths:    Solid. This thing feels like a tank. I do some DJ but mainly downhill trails around UCSC and Wilder. I love the geometry of this bike. It's easy to handle and steer. Manuals and bunny hops are so easy now. I could never bunny hop before I got this bike, and granted I'm not the best in the world at it, I can now hit a jump and launch off it with more confidence.

Weaknesses:    The weight I guess. I weigh ~160lb, the first few times I rode it up the hills to go on rides were very hellish. I'd gotten up those hills before with no problems, but this bike is definitely heavy. I got used to it though. After about 4 rides, I fly up hills without even thinking about it.

The fork (Marzocchi EXR Comp) is lame. I'm in the market for a new one right now. It doesn't soak up anything really, I feel like I have a rigid fork...that's with all the air out of it. To its credit, I haven't checked the oil levels or anything, but I want a bit more travel for downhill stuff anyway.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It's brought me from a brake-riding luzer to actually being able to enjoy the trails around here. I'm not afraid of smaller jumps, I'm working my way up to bigger ones, and I can really let this thing rip on single-tracks. The tires grip everything and put a lot of confidence into my turns.

Yeah, yeah...it's heavy, but if 4 or 5 extra pounds really bothers you that much, go on a diet. The fork is crap...I'm not the only one, many people don't like this fork.

Bottom line: This bike is good for urban. This bike is good for light downhill. This bike is good for jumping. I got it because I wanted a bike that handles everything I throw at it...so far, I'm not disappointed at all.

Favorite Trail:   Bloodletter

Purchased At:   Used off craigslist

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized P2, Marzocchi EXR Comp

6'2" on a 2006 Spec P.2?

I am thinking of picking up a 2006 specialized P.2 to start getting into more urban/jump type of riding. I have always had more XC-AM style bikes, and have never been on a BMX/Urban/Jump bike. I have no idea about sizing for jump bikes. Would the P2 be a good fit? (I don't think the "get on and ... Read More »

P.STREET 2 help

Help Me out a friend in japan needs a [FONT=Arial]P.STREET 2. Can any one help find one for sale with out crazy shipping?[/FONT]Read More »

Giant P-XC29er 2 and S-XC29er 2 weights

Anyone know the weights on these wheelsets? I am after weights on bare wheels no tires, Q/R or cassette etcRead More »

P-35 and an Ardent 2.4!

I just built a new front wheel for my rigid steel SS using a Velocity P-35. First time seeing and building a wheel around a P-35. slapped on a new Ardent 2.4. Man, this makes for a huge front tire! After a couple rides, this is a killer combo for techy and chunky New England single track. Awes ... Read More »

P xc29 2 spoke lenth