Jamis Kromo DJ/MtnX

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

HitThe dirt jumps withThe Kromo underneath you and fly like Jordie Lunn. AsThe nice implies, it built with 4130 chromolyTubing and readyTo handle what you can dish out. Kromo features a singlespeed-ready horizontal dropout design, but you can also use a geared rear wheel and derailleur hanger if you wantTo run multispeed. includes a 1 1/8" press-fit headset Designed around a 100mmTravel suspension fork, likeThe Marzocchi Dirt Jumper

Submitted by joe a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2012

Strengths:    this is the most solid bike i hae ever road just everything feels so tight great bike for dirt jumps street or park

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
i had a 2009 and cracked the frame but jamis relaced it for free now i have the 2010 frame and it feels even better

Similar Products Used:   eastern night train

Submitted by ppplong a Weekend Warrior from Lookout mtn, TN

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Strengths:    Where do I start? It's made of steel and for a steal! I was suspicious of the geometry at first, as it has a very high bb. But when I got on the bike and started to jump it I was very impressed. It's a tight frame, I purchased the medium and I'm 5'9, so I probably could have gone with the large, but I like my bikes small. Like I said the high bb had me worried till I got it on the trails/jumps. This bike rips. If you set it up right you may have one of the best ss djumpers out there. It bunnyhops, manuals, whips, and pops off of jumps with ease. I find it very stable in the air, and to top it all off, it looks fantastic! Also I haven't mentioned that it's light! Small tubes add to it's beautiful aesthetic. Honestly, I've found myself in the garage just starring at it. With the benefit of the high bb, you can hit the dh trails on this and not worry about constantly knocking your feet off the pedals. And I intend to, as long as they're pretty smooth trails. The frame is so stiff it seems pretty unforgiving. I don't see this as a bad thing. Now I'm writing mostly about the frame, as I swapped out the wheels and fork, although they look pretty tough and reliable. I like the pivotal seat-post and seat, very comfy and light. The bars seem a little wide, but it's the style these days and gives you more stability. It's geometry lends it to the high-rise bars and short stem. I believe this frame has been well-thought out. It's the first bike where I feel like I'm simply jumping a large BMX with suspension. Which is a very good feeling my friend. Very good. Caution: you may be over-jumping stuff you used to barely land. The price is so low on this guy that if you don't like the feel of the frame, you've still gotten a steal on components. The brakes are taking a while to break in, but they seem pretty effective.

Weaknesses:    I've heard that Jamis doesn't make quality frames and they tend to crack. But as this is steel, you really can't go wrong. I'll be sure to post if it does. But I seriously doubt it. And the great thing about steel is it's easy to reweld if you have any problems. The only other weakness, is it's probably not a great climber.

Bottom Line:
I'd buy it again and again. This is money well spent. Really fun bike for the price of some components.

Favorite Trail:   My Jumps

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   DMR Sidekick, Specialized P1, Mountain Cycle Rumble, Santa-Cruz Heckler. And this is my favorite so far!!!

Bike Setup:   Fork Rockshox Pike. I highly recommend an adjustable travel fork if you want to use this as an all-round bike.

Submitted by Pappa Wheelie a Cross Country Rider from Medina, Ohio

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to ride and good ergonomics right out of the box.

Weaknesses:    none for me.

Bottom Line:
Within an hour I was jumping jumping higher and farther then any other bikes I have been riding at Ray's for the past few years! I am no expert on a dj/park bike but the Jamis Kromo felt great right from the start! You can't go wrong with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Ray's

Purchased At:   Edge

Similar Products Used:   Trek Ticket - Gary Fisher Mullet

Submitted by dirtjumpdeprived a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Strengths:    I love just the general feeling of this bike. It's so easy to flick around in the air. The wheelset is strong. I love the tires on this thing.

Weaknesses:    The handlebars are WIDE! Still, if you lean back, you can still get them around for x ups and barspins, if thats your thing. Of course, im riding a long frame. A small, (or medium or whatever)would make them seem really wide.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It's really stiff and it feels great in the air. Buy it.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   specialized p3

Bike Setup:   Stock, for now. planning on replacing the forks sometime down the line.

Submitted by home brew a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2010

Strengths:    Good stiff feel. Not a fan of flexy bikes. Bike is well balanced.

Weaknesses:    Handle bars way too wide but that's an easy fix. Brakes wouldn't stop much but that can be tweaked.

Bottom Line:
Only test road bike but do like it. Am considering purchasing and will post back if I do.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by chuckit104 a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh (City of Steel!!...chromoly steel)

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    The nicest stock DJ on the market today. The chromoly steel frame is light but indestructible. The horizontal dropouts....HUGE and unbreakable. I just started doing DJ...like when I got this bike a couple months ago. But my forst day I cleared a two foot gap. I had no skill it was all the Kromo...it launches over anything. Beautiful geometry!

Weaknesses:    the hubs....the front one fine for now but it is clearly gonna give me trouble by next season...

Bottom Line:
GET THIS BIKE! Although it is pricey...I cant say if its worth the many cause I never tried anything cheaper. I decided to skip the "learn-how on a crappy bike" stage...

Favorite Trail:   IronGrate + Slag Heaps

Purchased At:   Biketek

Similar Products Used:   none. I ride a Kona Kikapu that I converted to free ride even though its only 4" in the back

Submitted by Ryan from State College,PA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2008

Strengths:    Definatly has a great weight for a DJ.

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for dirt jump but if your in it for a long ride this single speed won't get you there fast. But if the trails got style it makes for a lot of fun.

Purchased At:   Eddie's Bicycles and Sport's Equipment

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cowan

Submitted by p g a Cross Country Rider from chattavegas,tn,us

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent build quality and beefy parts spec. Geometry feels right for launching & manuals. Looks the part of a no-frills dirtjumper.

Weaknesses:    WTB hubs -- I've had only bad luck with 'em.

Bottom Line:
I rode the Kromo around the shop after drinking a Friday evening brew. This thing is very fun, super easy to wheelie and bunnyhop. I've priced up a few similar combos, but never considered springing for the whole package until this bike caught my eye. The price is right to add a dirtjumper to the stable.

I was very impressed with the Duro fork... it looks and feels like a quality piece from SR after many years of utter junk. Time will tell on that part, but they seem to have gotten serious.

I look forward to a real test ride when the local shop has their Jamis demo day. Kromo's not a do-everything machine, but it does have a rear derailler hanger to convert it to 1x9. Not sure if that would be the best use of this thing, as it seems better suited to urban assaults and brief, jumpy trail excursions.

Favorite Trail:   Thunder Rock Express

Purchased At:   Suck Creek Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cowan

Jamis kromo

Has anyone here used a jamis kromo for trail riding? Im not too into dirt jumping but I can get a kromo frame for next to nothing. I'd use it at rays and some jump lines but I'd like to be able to hit the trails with it too. I know i could make it a 1x9 but would the geometry allow for trail ri ... Read More »

Jamis Kromo vs. Commencal Max Max

Sold a Kona Shred for a more DJ specific bike. About to order one soon. Havent ridden the Kromo but rode a Commencal today and liked it. I can order the Jamis on Jenson for $412 (thanks to whoever posted that heads up) and the Commencal is $600. Kromo - disc brakes and a real fork (steel frame) ... Read More »

Killer deal on Jamis Kromo

@ Jenson [URL="http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI272R01-Jamis+Kromo+Bike+09.aspx"]http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI272R01-Jamis+Kromo+Bike+09.aspx[/URL]:thumbsup:Read More »

Post/Discuss your Jamis Kromo!

I just bought one, and can't wait for it to get here on Friday. Soo excited :D Until then (and even after), tell me about your Kromo, post pics of it, do whatever! I will have some nice pics of it up on Christmas Eve unless it arrives earlier or later. And I have a few questions... 1.) I wan ... Read More »

Jamis Kromo 09 Good?

Is this a Good deal? Want to get a DJ for the winter around here. Seems alright and it's priced right at Jenson and free shipping. ($495). Hard to find it's under Complete bikes, hardtails not BMX/DJ/street. Thoughts? New to DJ just wanted something to start out on. Im 6'3" and ride xc. Wante ... Read More »